Follow our progress ...

Style: American Porter

Added by GRG1313 on 08-29-2013

Reviews: 1 | Ratings: 3
3.13/5  rDev -2.2%
look: 3.25 | smell: 2 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

This is a one-off porter brewed with oysters.

Pours a dark brown with a medium khaki brown head that fades fast. Not bad looking but I happen to like "dark" colored beers so perhaps I'm a bit prejudiced on the looks of this one. Would have liked a larger, firmer and longer lasting head.

Nose - there wasn't one! I tried and tried to pull some nose; to pull some aroma -something! I got a hint of sweet fruit but not much and perhaps only because I wanted to smell "something."

Mouthfeel is decent and a bit surprising. Medium body with light carbonation but with an almost sour character; a sour/citric tone that was actually pretty nice.

Taste and flavor profile was a big surprise. This one is almost sweet and almost sour. I likened it to a red ale flavor profile and character. The flavors actually grow on you. It is not very "porter like as it purports on the label but the flavors are bright and fruity and rather pleasing with sweet stone fruit and a "sweet and sour" tone. I really think that this is much closer to a sour Flemish than anything else, be it by accident or not. Very surprised that they went on to call it a porter since you'll be very surprised if you're expecting porter characteristics.

I actually like this one. The finish is light but pleasant malt with light sour citrus and a citric acid tone.

Bay from Epic Ales
- out of 100 based on 1 ratings.