Peg's G.O.O.D. Ich Bin Ein Bloody Berliner - Peg's Cantina & Brewpub / Cycle Brewing

Peg's G.O.O.D. Ich Bin Ein Bloody Berliner
No picture uploaded.

Peg's Cantina & Brewpub / Cycle Brewing visit their website
Florida, United States

Berliner Weissbier |  3.90% ABV

(Beer added by: tpd975 on 07-19-2010)
Reviews by the Alström Bros:

None found.

iemailjack, Jan 08, 2013
4.47/5  rDev +7.7%

Had this on tap at Hunahpu's 2011 release.

A: Deep pink blended with a pale fuzzy golden hue.

S: Nice sour twang, subdued tomato juice, yeast, grapefruit, pepper.

T: Very much like it smells. Nice tart sourness, tomato juice, lemon/grapefruit, pepper and other spices.

M: Medium-to-light body, just the right amount of carbonation.

O: I don't really care for bloody marys, but I thought this was an outstanding beer. It was one of the more unusual beers I've ever tried. I'd love to have it again.

bobertkuekn, Mar 30, 2011
3.25/5  rDev -21.7%

On tap at Peg’s during the Berliner Bash. Served in a mini snifter. Pours a very hazy, chunky brownish-red color. Fits accordingly, I suppose. The nose brings a light acidity along with some tomato brightness and a touch of grain. Flavor has tomato and a touch of spice along with a light acidity. Body is light and slightly-chunky. Interesting concept and well executed, but not my favorite of the day.

Thorpe429, Dec 15, 2012
4.43/5  rDev +6.7%

Thanks to Dstructo for sharing this one at Stone Sour Fest.

A: The pour is a light orange-pinkish-red color with a sizable head to it.

S: What a nose, probably the most fragrant berliner weiss I've come across. Tomatoes, lactic acid, lemon, tabasco?, and hell, maybe even some celery too!

T: The flavor is absolutely intense. Tons of acidic tomato flavor, some slight spice notes, and a nice lemon sourness coming from the berliner weiss itself.

M: The mouthfeel is actually "heavy". That must be qualified by saying, "for a berliner weiss". Still pretty spritzy and light, though.

D: This beer sounded like it was going to be terrible and it turned out to be one of my favorite beers that I had. I am going to have to try to get my hands on this one again.

womencantsail, Jul 22, 2010
4.75/5  rDev +14.5%

A - The brew is somewhere between burnt umber and raw sienna, to quote Crayola. Somewhat hazy, there is not really a head to speak of.

S - Tomato and rosemary, tart lactic and absolute earthiness. The pungency of the aroma does not let up for even one second.

T - The flavor is imaginatively delicious beyond superlative. Huge Berliner lactic and Bloody Mary flavors collide, producing a brew that is discernibly equal parts of each. Peppercorn, tomato soup concentrate, sundried tomato, V8 juice, rosemary, celery, oregano, Worcestershire, Old Bay seasoning, the list of tangible elements goes on...

M - Very acidic. Like bring-some-Tums acidic. In this case, it is a good thing.

D - I am blessed to have Peg's in my figurative backyard; Doug is brewing some of the most intriguing beers (in the world?) these days.

ktrillionaire, Nov 03, 2010
4.47/5  rDev +7.7%

On-tap at 2nd Hunahpu's Release.

A - Pours a dark reddish color, off-white head that quickly dissipates down to a few bubbles here and there. Looks like a bloody Mary where's my celery? 4

S - Uh, holy crap, it's a bloody Mary...wait...it's a beer? A berlinerweise? For real? Tomato juice, spices, pepper...exact replica of the drink. Not joking. 4.5

T - Crazy. Yes, a bloody Mary. Tomato juice, spices, black pepper. I kept sipping this in amazement. Do you like bloody mary's? Yes, then you'll love this beer. Spicy finish. 4.5

M - Light, very soft carbonation (done perfectly). 4.5

D - I like bloody mary's so I like this beer. You have to try it to see what I'm taking about. Who knows if this will show up anywhere ever again. It kicked pretty quick...only 2.5 gallon keg. A must-try for the bloody Mary fan! 4.5

Sean9689, Mar 14, 2011
4.1/5  rDev -1.2%

Draft at Cigar City, Hunahpu 2011. Thanks to Dak and PALMEJ1 for sharing.

Pours a really cloudy murky grapefruit pink, pale bloody Mary red color with pale pink edges and chunks of seedy sediment floating about. Thin half finger pink head that quickly fades. No lacing.

Tart funky aroma that is very odd with a strange vegetal character. Hints of bready yeast and subtle citrus along with an earthy tomato, celery presence. Very weird. Thus beer sounds like a sour bloody mary and it smells just like one too.

Medium bodied with a refreshing tart, puckering sourness up front that lingers over the bready yeast, citrus fruit and vegetal flavors into a lingering mouth puckering finish. Sour but not acetic at all making it very easy to drink. Hints of grapefruit, tomato and celery bringing outthe bloody mary characteristics.

Overall this beer is very weird but extremely refreshing, especially on this warm Florida day. I think that if it didn't have the sour element to it it would be pretty gross but I thought that it was more than just an gimmick/novelty.

corby112, Mar 12, 2011
4.05/5  rDev -2.4%

On tap at Hunahpu day. Doug makes one seriously sour beer here.

A: This even looks like tomato juice. Dark pink color with a small fizzy head.

A: If you put a bloody mary and this side by side and smelled them blindly, you couldn't tell em apart. Spice, tomato, even the celery stick.

T: Again, this is really a sour bloody mary! Tomato, spice, lemon, and sour malt. This is mouthpuckering sour. You guessed it, finishes so sour, it made my eyes close.

M: Light body, good carbonation.

O: I am not a huge fan of bloody marys, so that will influence my score here. I thought this was one of the more original brews of the day, and definately the sourest. But if given the choice between this and Doug's other berliners, I'll choose the later. Skal.

Gtreid, Mar 21, 2011
3.75/5  rDev -9.6%

beernads, May 24, 2013
4.22/5  rDev +1.7%

Doug is brewing wonderful and creative Berliner's at Peg's. They are both creative and extremely well done. If you get the chance to try one of them do yourself a favor and get it.

A: Pours a murky reddish orange hue with a small fizzy head.

S: Acidic tomatoes, and floral herbs. Dashes of pepper and mild veggie notes.

T: The brine in the base Berliner plays perfectly here. It really melds into the acid of the tomato which plays great of the sour lactic base beer. There is a mild olive like quality and a bit of zesty lemon as well. Sounds disgusting, tastes extremely good.

M&D: Not as refreshing as the other Peg's Berliners but still very nice. I can drink a couple ounces of a bloody mary but I could sip on this one for hours.

I had Short's Bloody beer and enjoyed it. This is a better base beer for the idea though. Doug really pulled it off. I am sure his second attempt will be even better.

tpd975, Jul 19, 2010
4.75/5  rDev +14.5%

THECPJ, May 20, 2012
4.53/5  rDev +9.2%

After Sean blew the last Rare Dos keg I decided not to venture over to the pub so I was very excited to see this on the Hunaphu guest list. As soon as I was in the door I headed over because there were only 2.5 gallons. At first it wasn't working but I made my way back and luckily got the first pour. From the draft truck into a plastic cup... Pours a murky bloody grapefuit color. A light pink head, good carbonation, leaves little tomato chunks clinging to the glass as you drink it... The aroma is awesome if love you tomatoes and more specifically Bloody Mary's. There is a tart sour note underlining the whole thing, brings out some interesting notes of the tomatoes. I don't love this smell or Bloody Mary's but I can appreciate 100% the complexity of it and how much they nailed the Bloody Mary... The taste again is a total replicate of a Bloody Mary with a sour. This is really awesome. If you like a Bloody Mary this is a must try for you. Wow, super impressed.

jrallen34, Mar 13, 2011
Peg's G.O.O.D. Ich Bin Ein Bloody Berliner from Peg's Cantina & Brewpub / Cycle Brewing