Peg's G.O.O.D. Rare D.O.S. - Peg's Cantina & Brew Pub

Peg's G.O.O.D. Rare D.O.S.Peg's G.O.O.D. Rare D.O.S.

Peg's Cantina & Brew Pub visit their website
Florida, United States

American Double / Imperial Stout |  ABV ?

Beer added by: glid02 on 11-18-2010

Taste the rareness! Doug's Original Stout aged in Palm Ridge Reserve Whiskey barrels.
Ratings: 356 | Reviews: 69
Reviews by Chetlemon:
4.97/5  rDev +15.6%

Mucho Thanks to brother-in-law RudyLaw for overtrading for this phenomenal offering. I have been waiting for a beer worthy for my first review, and ALAS this barrel aged beauty was the one.

Drank in Darkness snifters from bottle. First appearance was black pour with perfect viscosity, and 1cm of natural perfect effervescence on top. The first whiff was sweet chocolate, allspice and whiskey, unbelievable nose. As this beer warmed up the warmer accents came to the top and the nose changed to malty, coconutty goodness.

All I can say about the taste is layers and waves of great dark chocolate, coconut, malt, bourbon, and the longer it sat the creamer it got. The natural carbonation forced every flavor into every tastebud. I am shocked this keg filled bottle hung on for this long, but boy was it worth it. I am super stoked I got to drink half of this bottle with RudyLaw and not just settle for a few ounces, every sip was better than the last.

4.92/5  rDev +14.4%

Huge thanks to tpd975 for the 22 bottom-filled "growler." Shared with my bro-in-law last night.

Dark black pour that has plenty of carbonation and a moderate head upon initial viewing. I should say this has held up like a champion for 9 months out of the keg.

Fudgy brownie and bourbon in the nose. Such a decadent whiff that only gets more intoxicating as it warms. Plenty of vanilla tossed in as well. Just superlative!

This tastes even better than it smells. The bourbon is prominent in the way that it's so smoothing. I've never had Palm Ridge before but I'm signing up for their newsletter going forward! While there is plenty of whiskey in the upfront, it seems more subtle than previous reviews. For whatever the reason, this is exactly what I was hoping for. Coconut, brown sugar, chocolate syrup, a slight roastiness and hints of maple creme all reveal themselves at different times. This seems like it could be a hybrid between Berserker and Kate.

I really can't add much more than that. It's a crime that this isn't available to the masses. Barrel-aging at it's best to a base beer that is simply remarkable.

4.18/5  rDev -2.8%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4

From a growler, second batch. Thanks to Mike M for hooking up this long-time want of mine! Rare D.O.S. pours out much RareR D.O.S. did; oily and black like squid's ink... The difference here is that an actual head build up on top of the black brew; deep tan, quarter-inch in size at first, but it instantly falls to nothingness - no ring, no skin, no nothing.

The aroma is rich and sweet, with notes of deep, chocolate fudge cake, whiskey-laced oak, light hints of cinnamon (I know there's no cinnamon in this beer, but something smells spicy), touches of barrel-forward vanilla, and a mold of some sweet, dark fruits; prunes and raisins covered in brown sugar. It's rich, it's chocolately, it's fudgy, boozy, and pretty sweet on the nose.

Lots of thick chocolate flavors bounce forward with the first sip, following that dense, fudge cake flavor profile closely. Lots of stuff going on here, with each sip bringing more out to the light: very mild cinnamon bun notes, sweet currants, dates, and plums, sweet caramel, dark fruit jam, woodsy coconut and vanilla notes, and plenty of whiskey and barrel-y oak.

The flavor profile is nice and complex, there's certainly a lot going on, and I'm pulling out a ton of stuff from this beer. But I don't absolutely *love* it like I should. I mean, reading over my notes, this sounds like a wet dream on paper... But taking each sip, I wasn't overwhelming with orgasmic flavor like I thought I would be.

Why doesn't this stroke me like it should? Well, I think it has to do with my astronomical expectations heading into this beer. That's not fair to the beer, I know. But it doesn't send me into beer nirvana like it should. I actually preferred RareR D.O.S. and the sweet rum and lightly tart dark fruits, and my expectations were high for that as well.

That said, this beer is still damn good. I mean, really, it's a great stout. And if a local brewery sold it near me, I'd probably have it all the time. But it's not worth giving up the farm for. It's awesome, but it's not going to be up there with the beers you dream of having again. Luckily, we didn't get one of the infected growlers, so that was a plus. Again, this beer is great - it's really damn good. But it's not the world beater it was made out to be.

4.27/5  rDev -0.7%

Bottle shared by Ben - thanks! An imperial stout made by Peg's Cantina aged in whiskey barrels from a local distillery.

Pours black with a one-finger tan head. The head recedes into a wispy layer on top leaving solid lacing.

Smells of lightly roasted malts with good amounts of semi-sweet chocolate and vanilla. Also present are mild amounts of earthy oak aromas that waft out every now and then.

Tastes similar to how it smells, though the roastiness is more intense and overpowers the whiskey to an extent. Large roasted malt flavors kick things off and are joined quickly by moderately bitter semi-sweet chocolate flavors. Midway through the sip mild amounts of vanilla work their way into things, fading out into a moderately bitter ending.

Mouthfeel is very good. It's got a very nice thickness with grainy carbonation.

Drinkability is also very good. I finished my glass quickly and could easily have a few more.

Overall I was impressed with this beer as the flavors all worked well together. Worth a shot.

4.4/5  rDev +2.3%

Thanks to Bucketboy for this one. Full 6oz. pour from a 64oz. growler into a TJ’s snifter. Had at a tasting on 9/4/11.

.5 finger mocha head with low retention. Beer is opaque black. Spotty lace with great stick and nice legs.

Nose is molasses, chocolate, brownie, very subtle sweet soy sauce and booze. Aromatic and very much to style. Some vanilla creaminess too.

Opens sweet molasses. Vanilla, chocolate, mocha, and coconut on the back end. More chocolate and some creamy hop bitterness towards the middle-end. End is milk chocolate and vanilla. Aftertaste is coconut bits and more vanilla.

Medium bodied with low retention. Smooth and silky in the mouth and some slight bubbles going down. Smooths out intensely as it warms. Rich finish with a subtle lingering aftertaste.

I’m not a slave to hype and I think that for the most part, my reviews reflect that stance. That being said, this beer is the real deal. Incredible mouthfeel and a wonderfully complex flavor profile that reflects everything good about the imperial stout style. Worth the acclaim and worth tracking down for sure.

4.55/5  rDev +5.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.5

In town for a Cigar City release, I read that Peg's was tapping this guy on Sunday at noon. We arrived at 11:55 and Eric, the excellent barkeep, told us it would be a few minutes. Within moments, before us were the first glasses of Rare D.O.S. and I was prepared to be disappointed. There's no way it's as good as everyone says, right?

On tap into a Cigar City snifter.

Appearance - Jet black body with an ample chocolate head. It dies down a little quickly to a brown ring around the top. Wisps of lace on the surface and as I swirl it around, staining the inside of the glass. Nice.

Smell - Bourbon, oh my. A second whiff reveals some coconut and strong dark chocolate. More bourbon ensues. Wow.

Taste - Much like the aroma, only richer. Bourbon with coconut and chocolate at first. A nice, caramel midrange flavor (with bourbon) followed by a rich, dark chocolate creaminess (with bourbon) and a coffee bitterness in the finish (with some bourbon). Loads of bourbon, but somehow it never overwhelms the other flavors.

Mouthfeel - Great body. Thick and chewy, but it isn't sweet. Hardly any alcohol burn. Perfect for a stout of this caliber.

Overall - Nearly perfect in every way. One of the best bourbon stouts I've ever had. I'm stunned. I was prepared to drink a beer that had been overhyped, but it is delicious. If you're in the area when this is tapped, make your way over. Friendly staff, good food, and a tour by Doug the brewer made this quite the Sunday lunch event.

4.57/5  rDev +6.3%

22 oz bottle into an oversized tulip glass. Huge thanks to JW347 for hooking me up with this, which was hand bottled directly off of a keg. This is their Imperial Stout which has been aged in a spent Palm Ridge Reserve whiskey barrel.

Pours a dense flat black in the glass, with a stiff rich finger of slightly dark mocha colored head. This retains with about half of that, as a smooth and creamy layer of frothiness just showers the sides of the glass with robust lacing and sticky gooiness. Wow, is the aroma rich in the nose or what? The nose is just dominated by brown sugar and molasses flavors but thick notes of baker's chocolate and roasted coffee sit underneath with a pretty heady feeling presence of their own. Wood and warmth soak the edges of the nose and even stings the eyes a little bit. This is just so rich and decadent smelling. Nice!

The taste starts with a BIG, thick, and dark base of chocolate, vanilla, caramel, molasses, brown sugar, and maybe even a little dark fruit. Pretty much any type of sweetness that you can think of just drenches the mouth with stickiness before trailing into a backend of dark malt and coffee character that lends this a roasty and astringent finish. The woodiness of the barrel is very well integrated here and nicely compliments the roasted flavors with some charred tannic dryness of its own. The mouthfeel is full bodied, with a huge feel to it that fills the mouths up with all of those rich flavors. The carbonation has a soft creaminess to it that sits on top of a much heavier feeling syrupy slickness underneath. There is a sweet whiskey burn to this that stings the tongue a little and a fair share of alcohol warmth that sinks to the bottom of the glass (and sticks in the throat and chest after those last few sips) but this is overall pretty smooth feeling for size of this, which I'm guessing has to be in the 10%+ range here.

This was quite fantastic stuff and really has Peg's Cantina on my radar now! The whiskey barrel really brought the goods here, with no lack of sticky and charred molasses character, while the base Stout delivered its own powerful mix of flavors for it to latch on to. This was quite lush, balanced, and delicious. Sure it's got some beefy heat going on with it but I didn't feel like it harmed the flavors at all and you have to expect to take your time with a beer like this anyway. I loved it!

4.45/5  rDev +3.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

Had as a pre-game to the 2nd Annual Redneck Racin’ & Tastin’! Big thanks goes out to BRoss242 for this one! HOLY CRAP! I can’t believe I’m finally getting to tick this one! Served from growler into an Ommegang Three Philosophers chalice. Poured pitch black with a minimal light brown head. Maintained decent lacing throughout the glass. The aroma was comprised of sweet malt, dark chocolate, wood, and milk chocolate. The flavor was of sweet malt, dark chocolate, wood, dark fruit, milk chocolate, and subtle sweet alcohol. It had a heavy feel on the palate with mild carbonation. Overall this was a fairly great brew. I still can’t believe I got to tick this one after such a long time! This was a really well balanced and enjoyable brew. The chocolate note I got on this one was really the star of it for me while adding a nice vanilla note. The same could be said for the aroma as well to help out. Definitely one of the better brews I’ve had this year. A MUST try!

4.97/5  rDev +15.6%

I don't normally review any beers but felt compelled to due to how good this beers was.

It had a pretty dark color that smelled amazing. It smelled and tasted like a dark chocolate bar...almost like marshmallow, ginger and cinnamon. The taste is smooth and easy drinking. I really like this beer. I don't get the opportunity to drink that many stouts like this but one I would drink again if I had the opportunity. Cheers!

4.2/5  rDev -2.3%

12/7/10. Pumped straight from the keg at the brewpub very kindly by Christina! Niiice black pour with a small brown head that laces a ton. Huuuuge BA aroma on this cat! Tons of vanilla, coconut, butter, and more with a definite whiskey burn. Sweet imperial stout flavor loaded with BA coconut, vanilla, and more. Finishes with nice roasted coffee and dusty dark chocolate... Quite delicious!

4.35/5  rDev +1.2%

Lots of barrel in the nose with oak, coconut, vanilla and bourbon. I get notes of dark fruits, mostly prunes, with a thick chocolate tone and a sweet toffee.

This is a delicious dessert as it has a thick smooth chocolate shake like presence. Barrel qualities are strong with roasted coconut and vanilla but late on maple, molasses and dark fruit come through. Overall it is so well done and decadent.

2.22/5  rDev -48.4%

Infected...although I'm sure this beer is fantastic, there are enough reviews of infected beer to keep me from actively seeking out or trading for this beer again. It's too bad, but I guess that's just something that happens, maybe someday I can experience this beer as it should be.

Poured from a small growler..or is it technically a bottle?

Pours black as night, with a very minimal dark brown head. Dissipates to a murky blackness. Aroma is definitely tart cherry, though its not huge. There's some oak, bourbon, chocolate and coffee...but that mineral, acidic aroma really disrupts things, despite being mild. The taste again has some cherry notes, and a milder, faint acid, along with the mild bourbon, roast and chocolate. Disrupts, but its not awful. Still feels nice and full bodied, creamy.

Well, as it sits, its just an okay BA stout with the mild touches of infection. I can tell its awesome when not infected. How unfortunate!

4.92/5  rDev +14.4%

enjoyed on my most recent trip to florida, i had no idea this thing would reach the epicness that it has. says alot for the crazy traders out there for sure! on tap into a 10 ounce glass

black as night oil like liquid which had a huge tan head that really very slowly faded leaving behind lots of gooey sticky brown lace.

chocolate mixed in and a strong alcohol presence. Lots of sweet vanilla and almost a mocha smell as well, very sweet overall.It was smooth, with not alot of carbonation. Huge bourbon whiskey type taste hit me right away as did the alcohol, this was not something to be messed with for sure. Very creamy thick feel and very strong alcohol presentation. Hints at french vanilla and a touch of chocolate rounded out the back side and added a bit of sweetness.

an amazing stout, if they keep brewing beers like this we are all in trouble!

4.85/5  rDev +12.8%

Received 6 Small growlers from Peg's - FedExed by friend to Texas. I was surprised by how good this beer really is.

A - Pours almost pure black. Very dark, small wisps of dark foam. A few lines of bubbles continue to create small bubble colonies.

S - Rich and boozy. Well developed with dark fruits, wood and whiskey.

T - Very complex and layered. Flavor goes through a process of revealing different characteristics over about 15 seconds. Tannins first - woody tang. Subtle whiskey. Then the "dark fruits" and finally roasty flavors that pleasantly hang for some time. Warming.

M - Mouthfeel is wonderfully silky and rich.

O - A nearly perfect beer.

2.1/5  rDev -51.2%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 1.5

Have tried 4 growlers in the past two weeks from two separate trades. Review is based on all four.

A- Pours a deep brown with two bottles having a high level of carbonation creating a 2 finger head leaving plenty of lacing, while the other left small spots of lacing with minimal head.

S- Initially there is a decent amount of warm whiskey, a hint of vanilla and caramel with faint cherry notes. However, within a minute or two, the sour cherry becomes more prominent with some vinegar.

T- The sour cherry becomes more and more apparent with every sip with notes of band-aid. There are hints of whiskey, chocolate and vanilla, but the sour/acidic/medicinal flavors are prominent especially at the end of the sip.

M- Carbonation ranged from low to medium, with the sour cherry acidity lingering.

O- Unfortunately, I have yet to try this beer without having any infection issues. There are signs of promise for this beer, especially when you first open it up, but the infection is pretty apparent and makes the beer basically undrinkable. Drain pours after a couples sips for all four growlers.

4.04/5  rDev -6%

THX! for the sample of this gorgeous rarity. This originated from one of the growlers that Mikkeller & To Øl @ Borefts 2013. I didn’t get it from the stand, I managed to get RareR there but missed this one. I have heard from pretty much everyone who has ever gotten hold of this one that their growler was infected & this was no exception. It didn’t taste terrible or anything but this was clearly not what it should have been. I have absolutely no idea how this beer managed to get its reputation. Huge local pushing? Or is it mind-blowing at the source? Black with a mocha head. Smells lactic (yeah) with bourbon, vanilla, sweet, chocolate, caramel, coffee,… Lastic taste, high carb & a bit thin body but still very enjoyable with its notes of vanilla, molasses, caramel, touch coconut, sweet caramel, coffee, faint roast, light warming spirit. Flat, spirit. It must be noted that even despite its condition this was till very enjoyable. Luckily the RareR was in good condition.

4.97/5  rDev +15.6%

High gravity night at Peg's. A nice chill in the air as my wife and I sat outside on the deck. Perfect for a nice warming beer.

Poured into a snifter. Opague black nice coffee colored creamy heading. Did settle out to a thin lace and left some nice globs throughout the tasting.

Smell is very intense. Heavy mocha, A slight touch of oak with a decent booziness in the backend.

The taste of this beer is absolutely amazing. Starts off with that heavy one-two of chocolate and coffee. A hot booze flashes across the palate giving you a nice vanilla oak middle. The darker fruits are there in the backend Raisin,plum,etc.

Mouth is silky smooth a touch of hot alcohol to keep it interesting but the texture is out of this world. (Just think velvet and peanut butter). Full bodied and well balanced for heavy stout.

A very complex beer.

Just look at the stats here. This is not favoritism this is the real deal. Bar-none the best stout I have had to date in my short beer tasting journey.

4.95/5  rDev +15.1%

Appearance: This beer is jet black with a light brown head that persists throughout. The abundance of lacing lets me know that that this beer means business.
Smell: An extremely potent aroma of bourbon with hints of coffee and chocolate. All of the necessary elements in creating an excellent stout.
Taste: The complexity of the flavors is nothing like I've ever tasted before. A wonderful mixture of coffee bourbon and chocolate where each sip is better than the next.
Mouthfeel: Sticky. Smooth. Drinkable.
Overall: Absolutely ridiculous. This beer is so well balanced it's scary. Who would win in a fight, Doug the brewer, or God? Trick question, Doug the brewer is God.

4.3/5  rDev 0%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

On tap at the LCBS 10. Black pour with a big brown head. Sweet bourbon and roasted malt aromas. The taste was sweet and smooth. Loaded with bourbon, vanilla, caramel malt, chocolate, and just a hint of coffee. Dak was spot on at the tasting and on his rating. This stout does taste a lot like Older Viscosity...

4.82/5  rDev +12.1%

Poured on draught at the brewpub during barrel aged day, into a snifter
From notes taken 3/9/12

A: pitch black with some Browning on the edges,light mocha head that's just an outer rim by the time its served to me, leaves a trace amount of lacing

S: big bourbon aroma, some dark fruits, raisin and fig, a hint of milk chocolate, some booze , very inviting

T: big milk chocolate character, nice rich bourbon , dark fruits of raisin and plum, bourbon character is good but not overwhelming by any means, dark bitter chocolate on the finish, the coconut flavor comes out about halfway through the glass, great lingering aftertaste of chocolate, black coffee, and a touch of dark fruit sweetness,  really fantastic.

M/D: incredibly smooth, coats the palate wonderfully, thick and chewy Mouthfeel, full bodied, appropriately low carbonation.  Good drinkability.  Perfect Mouthfeel here

O: .  Lived up to the hype.  One of the smoothest, easiest drinkinh stouts I've had, with a terrific flavor profile.  One of the best beers I have ever had the pleasure of drinking. World class.

4.85/5  rDev +12.8%

Had on tap, 11-11-11 high gravity night at peg's cantina.
A: Pitch black with a light tan head. Starts a perfect 1 finger and slowly dissipates into a consistent tan rim.
S: Chocolate covered cherries galore! A bit woody with lots of bourbon in this batch. Dark fruit with hints of vanilla and coffee.
T: lots of well blended bourbon, mingling with chocolate and vanilla silk. Creamy full flavored, with excellent wood notes. Pretty outstanding. After taste of tootsie roll and smokey bourbon and bittersweet chocolate.
M: Silky smooth, on the middle end of big bodied. Very wet with huge lingering after taste.
O: What a treat! Just too delicious for the gravity. Can't put this one down for a second.

4.97/5  rDev +15.6%

Huge, huge thanks to yourefragile for bringing this over. I'll start by saying that this beer is ridiculously good. In yourefragile's words, "S**t just got real." Served in a SAVOR snifter.

Pour yields a brew that is nearly black with a thin mocha head. Short head fades into a thin cap that disperses into a collar which holds throughout. Thick collar throughout. The nose. Oh, the nose. I'll start by saying that the the nose is about the worst part of this beer. I won't count the appearance for that part. I'll then say that the nose is absolutely fantastic. It simply gets better as it warms. The nose is full of coconut along with a good dosing of whiskey and some roast. Lots and lots of chocolate. Wow, this is really good. At this point, there are only two or three stouts that can rival this. Some oak. Some vanilla. Whatever you want in life, it's there. Basically, look at Arbitrator's review of Black Xantus, and flip everything around.

Flavor. So I just told everyone that this destroys Hunahpu's. Hunhapu's was previously one of my favorite beers. This beer is simply unreal. Loads and loads of coconut go with the whiskey and oak. Good amount of roast in the background and the entire thing is covered in chocolate. What else can I say? It's fantastic. Black Tuesday? Meh. Very few beers are in this realm. Everything melds beautifully. Really out of this world. Why can't I have a growler of this to myself? Or a keg. Or it could be the only non-IPA, non-sour that I ever drink again. I can't get enough this blend.

Mouthfeel. This was the first thing that really popped out. In terms of that, this is the first portion that immediately got a 5 from me. So smooth any creamy. Lots of whiskey, but there's no booze at all. It's just smooth and creamy. Perhaps a hint of alcohol in the finish, but that just perpetuates the feel. Coconut is there again. How did they get all this toasted coconut in there? Vanilla as well. Dessert is there. Wow. To be frank, I've had nearly 3000 different beers, and this is perhaps the best beer that I have ever had. That is all.

4.97/5  rDev +15.6%

pre-darkness day brew, leftover from lantern corps beer summit 2010. joey and justin brought a 5gal keg of this one to the party along with gear so that we could fill bottles and everyone could take some home. thanks guys!

this is their regular d.o.s. (short for doug's original stout, if i remember correctly) aged in palm ridge whiskey barrels.

22oz growler. sampled oct 20/2010.

pours deep dark brown, not quite black but still totally opaque. a small fine light brown head forms, dropping fairly fast and leaving tons of spotty lace.

aroma is awesome. vanilla, bourbon, hint of raw oak. coconut. hints of other tropical fruit. definitely makes me think of florida and the tropics. light alcohol. caramel. bit of toffee. dark and milk chocolate. coffee and a bit of espresso. tons of depth and complexity.

taste is also excellent. the taste follows the aroma for the most part, but with more chocolate. picture a hand-made high-end maccaroon - 70%+ pure dark choclate and bourbon and pure unprocessed coconut. light sweetness, but balanced well. while not really hoppy it has a bit of that lingering bitter mouthfeel. doesn't quite seem like chocolate, but not totally hoppy either. medium-low bitterness level, but it does seem to build to a higher level after a while.

mouthfeel is awesome. medium-large body. medium carbonation level. silky smooth. just plain heavenly.

drinkability is amazing. plain and simple, this is a top shelf awesome stout with perfect barrel character. perfect balance. awesome depth and complexity that that work together flawlessly. the only conceivable reason to remove points was on lack of blackness in the colour. this is definitely among not only the best stouts i've ever tasted, but the the best beers too. great stuff!

4.89/5  rDev +13.7%

Big ups for a balls out growler sharing from Sean via jw347 at our Memorial Day tasting.

A - Brown beer with a late rising brown head that stuck around for a second before fading to a bit of a tight ring with the slightest bit of lace.

S - Rich chocolate smell with some fudge, brown sugar, and a great solid whiskey taste if you're into that sort of thing (which I completely am). The balance of the hard liquor and roasted malts is unbelievable on this.

T - This might be the ultimate blend of chocolate, roasted malts, and whiskey. The whiskey is so well blended that it actually works well when it is hot. I can see this aging well and the whiskey mellowing, but it's only going to be good in a different way. This beer is ready to drink now and later. Awesome malt, barrel, and whiskey blend with the perfect touch of char and roasted malts. Wow, shocker in how good this is.

M - Rich, full bodied, moderate carbonation.

O - Had never heard of Peg's until this beer came out, but it is truly an amazing take on the style. I can't think of many beers of the style I've had lately that have been better than this.

Peg's G.O.O.D. Rare D.O.S. from Peg's Cantina & Brew Pub