Peg's G.O.O.D. Rare D.O.S. - Peg's Cantina & Brewpub / Cycle Brewing

Peg's G.O.O.D. Rare D.O.S.Peg's G.O.O.D. Rare D.O.S.

Peg's Cantina & Brewpub / Cycle Brewing visit their website
Florida, United States

American Double / Imperial Stout |  ABV ?

Taste the rareness! Doug's Original Stout aged in Palm Ridge Reserve Whiskey barrels.

(Beer added by: glid02 on 11-18-2010)
2.38/5  rDev -44.3%

16oz flip top growler opened on 7.31.13

A - Pours a deep dark black with a mosch brown head that moves to the edges.

S - Barrel, subtle booze, metallic.

T - Bourbon, wood, acidic- Slight cherry (Oh NO!) Some chcolate in the finish.

D - Good carbonation with heavier body, a sweet, sour finish.

O - A bit of a let down, infected. Lots of acidic and cherry tones.

HuskyinPDX, Sep 06, 2013

TurdFurgison, Feb 11, 2013
4.75/5  rDev +11.2%

THECPJ, May 20, 2012
4.55/5  rDev +6.6%

In town for a Cigar City release, I read that Peg's was tapping this guy on Sunday at noon. We arrived at 11:55 and Eric, the excellent barkeep, told us it would be a few minutes. Within moments, before us were the first glasses of Rare D.O.S. and I was prepared to be disappointed. There's no way it's as good as everyone says, right?

On tap into a Cigar City snifter.

Appearance - Jet black body with an ample chocolate head. It dies down a little quickly to a brown ring around the top. Wisps of lace on the surface and as I swirl it around, staining the inside of the glass. Nice.

Smell - Bourbon, oh my. A second whiff reveals some coconut and strong dark chocolate. More bourbon ensues. Wow.

Taste - Much like the aroma, only richer. Bourbon with coconut and chocolate at first. A nice, caramel midrange flavor (with bourbon) followed by a rich, dark chocolate creaminess (with bourbon) and a coffee bitterness in the finish (with some bourbon). Loads of bourbon, but somehow it never overwhelms the other flavors.

Mouthfeel - Great body. Thick and chewy, but it isn't sweet. Hardly any alcohol burn. Perfect for a stout of this caliber.

Overall - Nearly perfect in every way. One of the best bourbon stouts I've ever had. I'm stunned. I was prepared to drink a beer that had been overhyped, but it is delicious. If you're in the area when this is tapped, make your way over. Friendly staff, good food, and a tour by Doug the brewer made this quite the Sunday lunch event.

Alieniloquium, Jul 25, 2011
4.9/5  rDev +14.8%

HUGE thanks to Sean via Wakefield for this tick that I missed by a day when I went to Hunahpu.. drank with the Chicago Crew... black body with almost no head... the aroma is unreal, awesome chocolate, fudge brownie, brown sugar, light sweet whiskey and coconut... one of the rare circumstances where the taste equals the nose, perfect fudge brownies with whiskey, a little roast and chocolate, and coconut, my only complaint is the very back of the finish is a bit alocholic... this is awesome and well worth heading to Peg’s for, Peg’s is the real deal

jrallen34, May 30, 2011
2.5/5  rDev -41.5%

chippo33, Aug 20, 2013

Cynic-ale, Jul 29, 2013
4.45/5  rDev +4.2%

Had as a pre-game to the 2nd Annual Redneck Racin’ & Tastin’! Big thanks goes out to BRoss242 for this one! HOLY CRAP! I can’t believe I’m finally getting to tick this one! Served from growler into an Ommegang Three Philosophers chalice. Poured pitch black with a minimal light brown head. Maintained decent lacing throughout the glass. The aroma was comprised of sweet malt, dark chocolate, wood, and milk chocolate. The flavor was of sweet malt, dark chocolate, wood, dark fruit, milk chocolate, and subtle sweet alcohol. It had a heavy feel on the palate with mild carbonation. Overall this was a fairly great brew. I still can’t believe I got to tick this one after such a long time! This was a really well balanced and enjoyable brew. The chocolate note I got on this one was really the star of it for me while adding a nice vanilla note. The same could be said for the aroma as well to help out. Definitely one of the better brews I’ve had this year. A MUST try!

thagr81us, Jun 12, 2012
4.9/5  rDev +14.8%

Big ups for a balls out growler sharing from Sean via jw347 at our Memorial Day tasting.

A - Brown beer with a late rising brown head that stuck around for a second before fading to a bit of a tight ring with the slightest bit of lace.

S - Rich chocolate smell with some fudge, brown sugar, and a great solid whiskey taste if you're into that sort of thing (which I completely am). The balance of the hard liquor and roasted malts is unbelievable on this.

T - This might be the ultimate blend of chocolate, roasted malts, and whiskey. The whiskey is so well blended that it actually works well when it is hot. I can see this aging well and the whiskey mellowing, but it's only going to be good in a different way. This beer is ready to drink now and later. Awesome malt, barrel, and whiskey blend with the perfect touch of char and roasted malts. Wow, shocker in how good this is.

M - Rich, full bodied, moderate carbonation.

O - Had never heard of Peg's until this beer came out, but it is truly an amazing take on the style. I can't think of many beers of the style I've had lately that have been better than this.

AgentZero, May 30, 2011
3.75/5  rDev -12.2%

bsuedekum, Jul 27, 2013

Lare453, Jul 17, 2013
4.25/5  rDev -0.5%

aasher, Aug 04, 2013
4.18/5  rDev -2.1%

From a growler, second batch. Thanks to Mike M for hooking up this long-time want of mine! Rare D.O.S. pours out much RareR D.O.S. did; oily and black like squid's ink... The difference here is that an actual head build up on top of the black brew; deep tan, quarter-inch in size at first, but it instantly falls to nothingness - no ring, no skin, no nothing.

The aroma is rich and sweet, with notes of deep, chocolate fudge cake, whiskey-laced oak, light hints of cinnamon (I know there's no cinnamon in this beer, but something smells spicy), touches of barrel-forward vanilla, and a mold of some sweet, dark fruits; prunes and raisins covered in brown sugar. It's rich, it's chocolately, it's fudgy, boozy, and pretty sweet on the nose.

Lots of thick chocolate flavors bounce forward with the first sip, following that dense, fudge cake flavor profile closely. Lots of stuff going on here, with each sip bringing more out to the light: very mild cinnamon bun notes, sweet currants, dates, and plums, sweet caramel, dark fruit jam, woodsy coconut and vanilla notes, and plenty of whiskey and barrel-y oak.

The flavor profile is nice and complex, there's certainly a lot going on, and I'm pulling out a ton of stuff from this beer. But I don't absolutely *love* it like I should. I mean, reading over my notes, this sounds like a wet dream on paper... But taking each sip, I wasn't overwhelming with orgasmic flavor like I thought I would be.

Why doesn't this stroke me like it should? Well, I think it has to do with my astronomical expectations heading into this beer. That's not fair to the beer, I know. But it doesn't send me into beer nirvana like it should. I actually preferred RareR D.O.S. and the sweet rum and lightly tart dark fruits, and my expectations were high for that as well.

That said, this beer is still damn good. I mean, really, it's a great stout. And if a local brewery sold it near me, I'd probably have it all the time. But it's not worth giving up the farm for. It's awesome, but it's not going to be up there with the beers you dream of having again. Luckily, we didn't get one of the infected growlers, so that was a plus. Again, this beer is great - it's really damn good. But it's not the world beater it was made out to be.

tectactoe, Aug 19, 2013
4.7/5  rDev +10.1%

Review from notes. Thanks to Aaron and co for convincing me to come out instead of studying.

Poured oily black with only a few streaks of white lace on top. Huge on the roastiness, mocha, roasted coffee beans, burnt toast, and the bourbon. Oh my, the bourbon is everywhere! Vanilla, milk chocolate, complex layers of oak, dark fruits, and toffee. Could use a bit more body, but other than that, I'm sold. This was quite a treat.

DmanGTR, May 31, 2012
4.97/5  rDev +16.4%

Wow. I only occasionally review, but this was such a mind-melter that I had to review it. Generously shared out of a growler by a gentlemanly BA.

Pours with a small head of quickly receding bubbles, but the dark black body is plenty alluring. The lack of head is really the only downside of this beer, and that may be more a function of the serving format than anything.

The nose on this is just unreal. Lots of fudge/chocolate/brownie, with light notes of whiskey, vanilla, and a bit of booze coming in faintly. For such a big beer, the boozy whiskey is really well integrated.

Flavor is right up there with an BA stout I've ever had. The fudge and brownie flavors from the nose are still there, and the whiskey is well-integrated and relatively subtle. (Palm Ridge isn't a whiskey that I love, but it does amazing things to this beer.) A lot of vanilla sneaks into the edges of the flavor, and there's a nice coconut not that rings through in the finish. Very nice. A tiny bit of heat on the finish, but the lingering flavors are chocolate and coconut more than anything.

Mouthfeel isn't overly viscous, but it's chewy enough to match the big flavor. Just a beautiful beer, and one that I'd love to try again. Worth seeking out for anyone who's into BA stouts.

whartontallboy, May 30, 2011
3.3/5  rDev -22.7%

32oz growler, sampled at the Ebenezer's Night of the Great Thirst campfire last summer; just now getting around to uploading my notes. Thanks to whoever shared this!

A: Black body, brown head, spotty tan lace. Ok.

S: Bourbon, vanilla, coconut, smoke, dark chocolate. Really good, but a little muted.

T: Sweet and sour, with Bourbon, lactic tartness, and oak. Metallic finish. Disappointing, but drinkable.

M: Medium-to-thick body with creamy carbonation. Good.

O: Infected, but lightly enough to be drinkable, and the nose was still excellent. Really glad I got to try this, but bummed it was an off batch. Will revisit if I get the chance.

Cheers!

woosterbill, May 19, 2014

BGsWo22, Aug 06, 2013
2.99/5  rDev -30%

Poured from a small growler..or is it technically a bottle?

Pours black as night, with a very minimal dark brown head. Dissipates to a murky blackness. Aroma is definitely tart cherry, though its not huge. There's some oak, bourbon, chocolate and coffee...but that mineral, acidic aroma really disrupts things, despite being mild. The taste again has some cherry notes, and a milder, faint acid, along with the mild bourbon, roast and chocolate. Disrupts, but its not awful. Still feels nice and full bodied, creamy.

Well, as it sits, its just an okay BA stout with the mild touches of infection. I can tell its awesome when not infected. How unfortunate!

EgadBananas, Aug 05, 2013

eawolff99, Jul 27, 2013
4.9/5  rDev +14.8%

Have had this one several times and I am glad to see it getting the respect it deserves.

A: It pours a nice deep dark black hue with a tall mocha head. Wonderful retention and tons of lace.

S: Aromas are rich and roasty. Tons of chocolate, vanilla, and coconut. The wood from the barrel is there with a touch of booze.

T: The flavor is where this one really shines. You could put an average beer in a Palm Ridge barrel and get a great result. Make no mistake about it though the base beer in this one is more than just good. Loads of Roasted Chocolate, and bold bold coconut, like a Mounds bar. Hints of vanilla and oak. Subtle coffee notes to round things out. Really is a great great beer.

M: Full in body, bold, rich, smooth.

D: Could drink it until I pass out.

Doug I have a Fresh Palm Ridge barrel could I twist your arm into making me a keg? :)

tpd975, Jun 27, 2011