1. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Peg's G.O.O.D. RareR D.O.S. - Peg's Cantina & Brewpub / Cycle Brewing

Peg's G.O.O.D. RareR D.O.S.Peg's G.O.O.D. RareR D.O.S.

Peg's Cantina & Brewpub / Cycle Brewing visit their website
Florida, United States

American Double / Imperial Stout |  ABV ?

(Beer added by: MasterSki on 03-09-2012)
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Reviewers
Ratings: 418 | Reviews: 85 | Show All Ratings:
Brabander

Netherlands

This must be the best beer i have ever had! I was at the CBC festival in Copenhagen where i met Johndoe8. He asked me to join him and some other BA's for a tasting in the evening. I could not make it that night. The next day we met again and then one of the best things happened! He had some of this beer left for me and poured in a small amount of this beer. The only thing i can say is that this is one HELL of a stout. I have tasted a lot in this style but this amazed me soooo much i can only give it the maximum. Soft, balanced, easy to drink...wow!

05-21-2012 20:21:40 | More by Brabander
Rhettroactive

From 16oz swingtop growler to Portsmouth glass on 3/24/12
*From notes

-- An epic thanks to SturgisPodmore for trading me this gem of a beer --

Growler # 21 of 25

A: Tarpit blackish-brown. Pouring it straight down the center of the glass yields a thin .25 finger head. It fades quickly, leaving a layer of creamy streaks across the top of the beer. A thin off-white collar remains. And I should note that this sucker just coats the glass as I swirl it ever so slightly.

S: Spectacular doesn't begin to describe it. A masterful balance of alcohol esters, spirit notes and sweet liquid brownie batter smother my nostrils. The coconut and hints of vanilla bean are outstanding.

T: Unimaginably delicious. I don't care how rare it is - I promise that even if this was a year-round shelf offering, it would be just about the tastiest God damn beer I've ever consumed. So incredibly decadent and rich. The concentration here is simply out of bounds, as it reminds me of some of the best California cult cabs. Like Screaming Eagle is to wine, this is to beer.

The fore is melted dark chocolate, it just oozes all over my palate. The mid showcases red fruit - plums, ripe cherries and a touch of late harvest dark berries. The rum and spirit profile hits on the back, but it comes across more like a bourbon barrel, as it's overflowing with toasted vanilla bean and fresh coconut skin. There's also a deep through line of cane sugar, which rides from beginning to end, and it sticks to my lips and tongue as I soak it all in. The finish....oh, the finish. It lingers inside my mouth for ages - I can literally taste it for over ten minutes without a return trip to my glass. Wihtout question, this stands as one of the finest things I've ever had the pleasure imbibing.

M: Like the finest linens covering the finest bed in the finest Rain Man suite in Las Vegas. This is dense and massively creamy, yet it's apporachable and extraordinarily easy to put back. Smooth, luscious and elegant beyond compare.

O: The whole room went silent as we took our notes, imbibing what ultimately is the best beer I have ever quaffed. I genuinely assumed that there was no possible way that RareR DOS would live up to the mammoth hype that it or Rare DOS have received. Yet to be blunt: it did....and then some.

Up-Up-Down-Down-Left-Right-Left-Right-B-A-B-A-Start

I'm praying that maybe the old Konami code might just get me 100 more of these, as even then, it wouldn't be enough.

Unquestionably the crowning achievement of the American Craft Brewing movement.

03-25-2012 18:16:20 | More by Rhettroactive
billab914

4.98/5  rDev +11.2%

Huge thanks to Rhettroactive for surprising us with this gem this evening. Bottle #21 poured from a 16oz swingtop into my Devil's Backbone tulip. It poured thick and black with a thin tan head clinging to edges of glass. Very dark and inviting.

The aroma has a very rich chocolate and toasted coconut flavor to it. Its a little like a dark chocolate and coconut brownie. A little boozy rum is there, bit it integrates very well. Very rich and sweet, a little desert like but really awesome aroma overall.

The taste shows a lot of toasted coconut and dark bittersweet chocolate. A little more of the rum is there but again really integrates and compliments well. Caramelized brown sugar and vanilla come out in the finish. I got a little more dark fruits as it warmed. So smooth and rich.

Mouthfeel thick and creamy with low carbonation. The slickness really is awesome and very fitting.

Overall it was a really fantastic beer. It was so smooth and rich. I loved the toasted coconut and vanilla flavors. Wow, this was an amazing beer. The rum barrel gave it some fantastic qualities that really sets it apart from the standard Bourbon barrel beers of the style. The barrel aging was perfectly done as well, so well integrated and complimenting. This really wasn't even on my radar because I've never really had any rum barrel beers that have impressed me, but this one completely blew me away tonight. This is definitely worthy of mention among the elite few top of the style for me.

03-26-2012 15:52:09 | More by billab914
siege06nd

4.98/5  rDev +11.2%

Well this was quite the surprise, Rhettroactive, thanks so much for the insane generosity of opening this bottle with us.

Reviewed from notes.

A: Pours an inky black that fades to a gentle ruby on the very edges of the glass. Touches of deep burgundy shimmer out in the light. Half finger of light tan head that rapidly settles down to a thin sheen. Minimal lacing.

S: Goodness gracious. Possibly the best stout I have ever had the pleasure of dipping my nose into. The only other thing I can even think of that comes close is GI Rare. So many things going on here...chocolate, molasses, vanilla, oak, raisin, plum, and even some melon. Hints of tobacco emerge from the background as it warms. Rich, decadent, and absolutely delightful. Unbelievable.

T: Chocolate, coconut, dark fruit, leather. Really impressive coconut on this...it's quite assertive, but doesn't overwhelm. Pretty good amount of vanilla as well. What's most surprising is how refined the barrel (and rum) character is on this. The wood is not very apparent on this, only serving to augment rather than overwhelm. And the rum takes on almost a bourbon like quality, only imparting some delicate, light fruitiness instead of the gross, Malibu, pina colada quality I have found in lesser rum barrel aged stouts. This is amazing.

M: Perfect. Low carbonation, full bodied, spectacular complexity and shows you a new flavor every sip. Nice coating mouthfeel, thick and delicious.

O: I have many more stouts to go before I can declare this the best ever, but I can't recall having had something more delicious than this, except possibly GI Rare. An outstanding experience top to finish. Cannot thank you enough, Rhett, for this ridiculous treat.

04-05-2012 15:23:16 | More by siege06nd
DmanGTR

Review from notes.

Thanks to Aaron and co. for dragging me out of my study den and making me have an awesome time. You guys rock. This beer poured pitch black. It's a black hole. A deep abyss that sports a milk chocolate brown head that dares you to disturb it. So I did. And holy shit, this beer is SMOOTH. That's the first thing that came to my head. All the flavors are wonderfully melded together. Toffee, toasted marshmallows, caramel, figs/raisins, coffee, dark chocolate, it's all there. Follow that with a nice boozy rum presence and oak. This is where it's at guys. Big body, excellent carbonation. Word.

05-31-2012 16:37:06 | More by DmanGTR
Huhzubendah

4.95/5  rDev +10.5%

Growler shared by drabmuh. Hell yeah! Thanks Matt.

I don't have a Peg's glass like the other guys, but they let me have some anyhow.

The beer is dark brown with a small and fleeting beige head. The aroma brings a huge dose of bourbon, followed by some vanilla, oak, roast and chocolate. The flavor is simply fabulous. World class. Well balanced and just teeming with flavor. I am getting much more bourbon flavor than rum. Perhaps dark rum adds some molasses and dark fruit flavors. Complex, wonderful, sippable, chuggable. What can I say? A+

03-18-2012 21:51:20 | More by Huhzubendah
Maximus_Prime

4.95/5  rDev +10.5%

Opened a 16oz growler received from this years release
A- dark black with brown lacing and nice head

S- chocolate lactose smooth hint of rum. The lactose hides the booziness quite well.

T- smooth chocolate with hints of coffee and a heavenly rum finish

M- thick stout well balanced with a nice head of lactose. The consistency was not as thick as MZ but very easy to drink.

O- This is by far the best stout ive had yet. Had the PEGS rare on tap the same day and i liked the rum barrel aged better than the bourbon barrel aged. I could drink this stuff all day!

12-25-2012 18:02:25 | More by Maximus_Prime
spdyfire83

Ireland

4.93/5  rDev +10%

228th Review
Growler to CBC taster
Enjoyed on 11 May 2012

Thanks for this RareR tasty brew Johndoe8!

A: The abyss of black. Thin layer of soft mocha bubbles for a head. Thick motor oil consistency.

S: Smells of rum, sweet caramel, dark chocolate, and vanilla. Beautiful nose and quite inviting!

T: Complex and deep. Follows nose closely, but the rum is a bit more muted. Not too sweet - the vanilla balances the dark chocolate and caramel nicely. Notes of coconut and oak add to the enjoyable complexity of this beer and everything is intertwined to perfection.

M: Full bodied with gentle carbonation. Thick and coating, but very smooth.

O: Simply put...this beer is amazing! I'll leave it at that.

06-30-2012 09:34:03 | More by spdyfire83
IrishColonial

4.9/5  rDev +9.4%

The rarest beer I will probably ever have. Thanks so much Rhett for your generosity!

A: Dark chocolate brown with minimal head. Swirls of light cream on top.

S: Smells delicious. Waves of vanilla and wood at the forefront. Subsides a bit into some dark fruits, plum, prune, raisin. Hints of blackstrap molasses throughout but not dominant. The booze melds well but smells more like bourbon than rum although some of the good sipping rum I've had from Central America smells similar. I smelled it at least 20 times before a taste but smelled more coconut and chocolate at the end. Unrivaled balance.

T: The rum comes out a better on the taste. Rich chocolate, vanilla, brown sugar. Like a rich dessert, melted brownie with a rum glaze. A bit of lactic acidity and tastes of wood provide an interesting counterpoint that is a bit different from everything else, providing almost a dry finish. Delicious.

M: This beer is the epitome of creamy. Melts in your mouth. A little sticky and dry on the finish but this is nitpicking.

O: This is one of the best beers I have ever had. Off the top of my head, GI Rare would give this a good cage match. This is a delicious treat that I enjoyed to every sip. I hope to be able to try the Rare DOS someday but if it is anything close to this, it will be an accomplishment.

03-25-2012 00:34:25 | More by IrishColonial
Rifugium

4.88/5  rDev +8.9%

First had: baby growler shared at the Mack House, Davie, FL. Thanks to Josh (toofdoc) for the generous share!

Dark black pour, thick and opaque, with a small cap of chocolate head that sank to a ringlet, leaving oily lacing on the glass. Still looks nice for being a week old. Aroma of dark malts, more sweet than roasty, chocolate, rum and vanilla, dark brown sugar. All of this translated into the taste, dark chocolate, smooth malt richness, vanilla, rum-soaked oak, caramel and a hint of butterscotch. Contrary to other reviews, I didn't really get any coconut out of this. Rich and full in body, smooth and velvety, lower carbonation, ABV seemed pretty high, I'm guessing 10+%, but as with Peg's stouts in general, there was basically no alcohol heat whatsoever. Amazing beer overall.

Honestly I don't get too much of a different effect from whiskey barrel aging and rum barrel aging in beers, especially big beers like this one, but I like both, so it's good either way. I'd like to have been able to try the Rare DOS as well, but it just wasn't to be. Maybe some other time. Hopefully.

12-30-2012 19:12:45 | More by Rifugium
Gushue3

4.8/5  rDev +7.1%

300th review of a beer I never expected to drink. Thanks a bunch to Mposha for the 16oz swingtop Growler. 19 written on the check mark next to RareR D.O.S

A Flat black pour that's pretty much opaque except for thinner areas. Pretty much no head at all which leads to no lacing.

S Big time barrel. Sweet dark fruits, vanilla, sweet not hot alcohol (Bourbon? Rum?) Smells amazing

T Sweetness from front to back but not cloying. Vanilla, burnt sugars, chocolate, integrated bourbon, coconut and a bit of heat. Each sip is great and specific flavors can be found when looking for them. Top notch stout that lives up to the hype.

M Heavy feel like a Zhukov with very little carbonation. Big chewy and viscous, im curious what the final gravity was.

O Unbelievable beer that without a doubt lives up to the hype. Without a doubt top 5 beer I've ever had regardless of scores.

12-04-2012 18:47:44 | More by Gushue3
kif

4.78/5  rDev +6.7%

A- Black with a very small tan head. Growler is 13 days old, so not sure if there would have been a more noticeable head earlier.

S- Molasses, vanilla, caramel.

T- Sweet at first, definite brown sugar/molasses flavor. The rum comes in later on. Very complex, great flavor

M- Very smooth. Medium to full body.

O - I have not tried the normal rare dos, but this was a pretty perfect beer to me. Reminded me of some of the BCBS variants I recently had at Stout Fest. I am really happy I was able to trade for a growler of this.

03-23-2012 01:34:34 | More by kif
Reagan1984

4.78/5  rDev +6.7%

My buddy Chris gets a big thumbs up here for sending me a couple of the mini growlers.

When poured into my Smuttynose snifter a bronze colored head appears for a short visit and quickly settles to a very think ring of foam. The beer is a very glossy, almost metallic deep brown color. No lace so speak of. Just looks slick.

Very interesting aroma. Lightly sweet with some spice and some dark chocolate. A bit later I was getting some coconut which really added a nice dimension.

Chocolate is center stage here with coconut playing in the background. While I don’t think I could have spotted Rum without knowing, there is definitely a bit of the spice that comes from a Rum. So the notes are definitely there. A touch of brown sugar here along with a touch of black pepper.

Mouthfeel is really interesting here. Very smooth and while bold in body, it’s so soft. My favorite Imp Stouts all have a thicker body and this is no exception, but it has such rounded soft edges it’s great.

Really a wonderful beer. As it warms it opens into something very special.

01-03-2013 00:00:13 | More by Reagan1984
AlexFields

Tennessee

look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Opened at a tasting 1/26/2012. Thanks to djmichaelk for sending me this!

Pours creamy dark chocolate color, not a great deal of head but for an island of light vanilla floating in the middle.

Smell is wonderful though not incredibly powerful. Lots if sweet vanilla, caramel, chocolate, rum, very balanced and appealing.

Damn. This tastes perfect. Loads of vanilla again, caramel and chocolate and other wonderful sweet stout flavors. Not super roasty. Barrel complements perfectly but his is not really barrel forward. Insanely well balanced, all my favorite stout flavors are here.

I don't know if it's the mouthfeel or just the flavor, but I find this insanely drinkable and almost cried when the bottle was empty.

This lived up to and exceeded the hype in a big way. One of the best stouts I've ever had for sure. Not bold or outrageous but just perfect.

9.7/10

01-27-2013 21:47:43 | More by AlexFields
Keyportnick

Wisconsin

4.76/5  rDev +6.2%
look: 5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 5

Cracking this because its snowing in the middle of April.

500ml growler dated 12-21-2012 into a Central Waters snifter.

A- Pours slick rich black with a minimal tan head that's fades quick to only line the glass with a few waves of tan swirling about.

S- deep rich booze of chocolates and sweets. Just a hit on toasted marshmallow and sugar.

T- chocolate frosting, bits of dry cocoa, and a sweet marshmallow boozy finish.

M- light and thin medium type body. This beer coats your tongue and won't let go. Syrupy sticky finish with a touch of boozey heat.

O- I though this was an outstanding stout. Really close to one of my most recent favorites 2012 Black Tuesday. I like the balance of this beer and all the flavors that are constantly bouncing around. Wish it was as easy to acquire as Black Tuesday or some other huge stouts I've had lately.

04-12-2013 01:18:51 | More by Keyportnick
seeswo

4.75/5  rDev +6%

Cam rules! Enjoyed side-by-side with Rare DOS.

Pours a very dark brownish color with a cocoa head. A bit oily as it swirls the glass. The nose is really good on this beer - sweetness blends nicely with the slight spiciness and the flavors of the barrel. The taste is heavenly, rivaling the very best BA imperial stouts I have ever had. The up front sweetness, the booziness in the middle and the tannic finish of rare DOS have all be knocked back into balance and then elevated by the flavors of the rum. The beer is sweet, but not overly so, flavorful, yet smooth. This beer was clearly made for rum barrels. The mouthfeel is solid with appropriate carbonation. Overall, this beer is just fantastic and worth every effort to acquire. Many hyped beers don't live up to expectations - this one exceeded mine.

04-10-2012 19:15:43 | More by seeswo
dbc5

4.75/5  rDev +6%

16 ounce growler poured into 10 ounce Kentucky Bourbon Barrel Stout snifter.

A: Pour is thick and muddy. This one has sat in the growler for about 2 months and looks to be fairly low on carbonation, although a thin layer of mocha colored foam briefly makes an appearance across the top of the beer. Swirling surprisingly provides a consistent ring around the edge of the glass. I'm a bit torn on how to rate the appearance on this one, as I realize the lack of head is in part attributable to this sitting in a growler for 2 months.

S: My first rum barrel stout and I enjoy the contribution to the nose this spirit provides. Picking up a nice amount of dark fruits in this, along with milk chocolate, vanilla, and an underlying roastiness. Smell indicates this will be moderately sweet.

T: Really interesting complexity here. Opens up all fruit, mainly cherries. There is a distinct point when this transitions on the tongue from sweet dark fruits to a roasty dark chocolate with underlying coffee. This isn't an experience I have had with many other beers but makes for tremendously interesting drinking. The rum appears at the very end and ties everything together.

M: The low carbonation apparent on the pour carries over into the mouthfeel. It actually works for this beer though and contributes a silky, creamy, and thick feel. This is one of the thicker stouts I've had; it really coats the tongue.

O: I really enjoyed this beer. Chocolate covered cherries blend with roasted coffee and bittersweet chocolate. The rum presence is light but apparent on the back end. Really glad I had the opportunity to enjoy this one.

02-27-2013 02:42:24 | More by dbc5
rudzud

4.75/5  rDev +6%
look: 4.25 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

Shared at JLindros Birthday Whale Tasting. Reviewed from notes.

A - Poured into a Kate the Great tulip a deep dark brown with a thin little halo and big, thick legs!

S - FLOORED. Yeah, this if fudge brownies, nuts, chocolate, vanilla, barrel notes. Super, super rich aromas here. Stuff is incredible.

T - Taste is just as freaking good. Fudge brownies galore, nice and sweet. Fudge, nuts, brownie batter, vanilla, barrel notes. It is simply incredible. So, so good and rich.

M - Mouthfeel is thick and heavy, silky smooth and velvety.

O - Overall this is a damn fine beer. Stupendous infact. So glad I was able to try this beer and that Jared was able to hold off on drinking this all by himself.

04-10-2013 16:27:25 | More by rudzud
dayvinn87

4.75/5  rDev +6%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Wow! Amazing stout! Just happened to be at the brewery and got the last pour of this beer. The look was thick and dark black with a thick tan head. The feel of the beer was very smooth and there was no bitter taste at the end. It almost felt like drinking chocolate milk. The smell was strong of coffee and chocolate with a slight barrel smell.

Great stuff from a great brewery.

Cheers.

09-06-2013 22:53:34 | More by dayvinn87
iadler

4.74/5  rDev +5.8%
look: 4 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.75

16 oz growler from the 12/21/12 release. Big thanks to Alex for sending this my way. A big want of mine for a long time.

A- Pours a opaque black with a thin mocha head that stays around, though leaving no lacing behind. A really nice looking beer regardless.

S- Freshly baked fudge brownies, sweetened and fresh coconut, vanilla beans, toffee, rum, peppery spice, and dark fruit with black cherries and plum.

T- Waves of chocolate throughout with fudge, brownie batter, and dark chocolate. Coconut, toffee, roasted malt, vanilla, rum soaked fruit and spice cake are also present.

M- Light carbonation with a rich, syrupy body. One of the best mouth-feels I've had with a stout. Perfect.

O- A rich and dense beer with incredible complexity and flavor. Plenty of chocolate sweetness, but never cloying. Simply put, not only one of the best stouts I've had, but one of the best beers I've had period.

01-13-2013 17:05:06 | More by iadler
yourefragile

4.73/5  rDev +5.6%

500 mL growler. Number 13 of 25. Served in a Peg's snifter. Poured by a Cicerone Certified Beer Server.

Pours a viscous dark brown with clear ruby tinges in the edges with a fleeting khaki head and a few wisps of lace. Aroma is perfect, or so says the last 15 minutes I've spent smelling this beer without tasting it. Incredibly balanced and rich nose of vanilla, molasses, rum, bourbon, candi sugar, light oak and angel's tears. Flavor is not quite as transcendental as Rare was, but this is still exceptional. As it warms the rum becomes more dominant, with raisin, plum, caramel and light oak supporting a strong vanilla and molasses barrel presence. Syrupy, thick viscous body with very low carbonation. Aroma and flavor lingers forever after the glass is finished. The flavor didn't match the aroma and all around this experience didn't match Rare, but that said, I still enjoyed this infinitely more than recently sampled Dark Lord and Hunhapu variants.

03-18-2012 22:09:52 | More by yourefragile
jlindros

4.71/5  rDev +5.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

Shared at my Birthday whale tasting. I shared this, and big thanks to mposha (Reddit) for this gem.

Pours with no head, as expected, super pitch black beer, with thick syrupy legs!

Nose is awesome! oh my! Great chocolate, big malts, syrupy, thick rich cocoa, little roast and coffee, aged malts as well, dark chocolate, just a touch of dark fruit even.

Taste is delicious! Lush thick and rich, tons of chocolate, velvety, dark malting chocolate, chewy oats, hint of sweet sugary fruitiness too which I assume is from the rum barrel with a touch of vanilla oak too, light bitterness, melting rich chocolate, so thick, lush, tasty, just awww yeah.... Long lush finish, hint of bitterness, hint vanilla oak barrel, velvety lush mouth coating.

Mouth is full rich thick bodied, velvety, lighter but decent carb.

Overall holy shit, this def earned it's reputation, very good beer, very good!

03-04-2013 21:14:50 | More by jlindros
MasterSki

4.7/5  rDev +4.9%

Thanks to Steve for sharing. 16oz growler #25. Served in a Närke snifter.

A - A thin mocha foam settles to a thin ring and a few wisps, leaving behind tiny specks of lace. Black body, and an oily glass-coating brown film that lingers upon consumption.

S - Massive notes of butterscotch, coconut, dark chocolate, molasses, brownies, and the lightest touch of rum. Surprisingly little oak here - guessing the rum barrel was re-used a few times before ending up in Doug's hands. In any case, even with the understated barrel and spirit presence this is still quite excellent, as the base stout is formidable in its own right. Minimal alcohol presence.

T - As with Rare D.O.S. the taste is a revelation, with waves of molten milk and dark chocolates, vanilla, coconut, caramel, molasses, and a kiss of rum and oak. Super rich and smooth, with flavors that linger nearly indefinitely. Again, virtually no alcohol to be found. Probably a 4.75 in comparison to Rare D.O.S., but stellar in its own right.

M - Smooth, molten chocolate texture, medium-full body, lower carbonation, and perhaps a touch of alcohol warmth on the back of the throat. Lightly dry barrel presence in the finish.

D - Excellent stuff. Doesn't quite hit the highs of Rare D.O.S., but it's pretty close. Greatly looking forward to trying this again in the near future.

05-08-2012 12:51:51 | More by MasterSki
jegross2

4.69/5  rDev +4.7%
look: 4 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

Reviewing the highly coveted Peg's G.O.O.D. RareR D.O.S. from Peg's Cantina & Brewpub out of Gulfport, Florida. This beer is their Doug’s Original Stout (the "D.O.S." part of the name) aged in Rum barrels (presumably the capital R part of the "RareR").

Score: 97

2012 vintage 500 ml growler from the 12/21/2012 release. Served in a Tyranena snifter glass and enjoyed on 01/17/13.

Appearance: Ink black in color. Pours a thin layer of mocha-colored head that settles to a ring around the glass. Poor, splotchy lacing that is primarily oily, but average retention. What little lacing and oil clings slowly oozes down the side, back into the glass. 4/5

Smell: Vanilla, fudge and milk chocolate. Behind that is a sweet rum backbone that gets a little more prominent towards the tail end of a whiff. Oak too. Some roastiness and a little dark fruit. Hint of cherry. 4.75/5

Taste: The sweet rum is a lot more "forward" on the palate than in the nose, but it is deliciously incorporated. The first flavor to hit you is the rum, followed shortly thereafter by a wave of vanilla and fudge. This is then followed by a wave of dark fruit, brown sugar and faint milk chocolate. Finishes with lingering vanilla and fudge. There is some bold "boozy flavor," but no "booziness." Slightly sweet overall. 4.75/5

Mouthfeel: Not quite full-bodied, low carbonation. Rich and creamy on the palate. Finishes dry, but not quite "chalky." 4.5/5

Overall: This is a baby Churchill's Finest Hour 2012 with sweet rum and cherry characteristics. Holy wow! I love how rich and complex this brew is.

Recommendation: Seek a bottle of this out!

Pairings: French vanilla ice cream.

Cost: $20 for a 500 ml growler.

01-18-2013 02:34:07 | More by jegross2
Thorpe429

4.68/5  rDev +4.5%

Huge, huge thanks to drabmuh for this growler. Thanks to jcartamdg for giving me the chance to have this one again. Served in a Peg's snifter.

Pours black with a thick tan head and fairly nice retention. A thin collar as it goes down.

The nose carries a beautiful combination of dark fruits, molasses, rum, vanilla, chocolate, and sweet malt. Light coconut in the background. Absolutely gorgeous. Only rivaled by Rare D.O.S. the flavor continues on the same path and it does not disappoint. Just incredible integration between all the components. The barrel character is so smooth. Unreal.

Body is full and viscous, though not quite to the level of Rare D.O.S., which is pretty much my only complaint. So chewy and full. No alcohol at all. Simply an amazing beer.

03-18-2012 22:03:19 | More by Thorpe429