Peg's G.O.O.D. RareR D.O.S. - Peg's Cantina & Brew Pub

Peg's G.O.O.D. RareR D.O.S.Peg's G.O.O.D. RareR D.O.S.

Peg's Cantina & Brew Pub visit their website
Florida, United States

American Double / Imperial Stout |  10.00% ABV

Beer added by: MasterSki on 03-09-2012

4.43/5  rDev -1.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4.5

22oz bottle into a snifter

A big thanks to allisonmichelle for sending this over via trade! I was at the original release of this beer at a Peg's Barrel Aged Day a few years. Unfortunately I got the regular Rare first (which was exceptional), but when I went back to get a poor or the RareR it was sold out. Ive been waiting to try it ever since. 4.5

A: Pours an absolutely opaque jet black with 1 fingers width of dense appearing mocha colored head. Head dissipates down fairly quickly, and leaves some small patch of lacing. 4.5

S: The nose is fantastic. Lot of sweetness with vinous dark fruits, and some cocoa. I also get roasty characters, and big rum barrel notes along with some booze. 4.5

T: At first I get tons of roasty notes coupled with a big semi-sweet chocolate character. I then get some dark fruit notes and a bit of black coffee bitterness. Fairly big rum notes, as well as a raw oak character and some booze. Rum barrel charaters strengthen throughout the drink. I dont get the big coconut flavors I got in Rare, although I do start to get some subtle toasted coconut towards the end of the first glass. Excellent beer, although I think I prefer the regular Rare DOS (that being said I most definitey prefer bourbon to rum so that makes sense). 4.5

M/D: A little on the thinner side for an elite example of the style, would benefit from being thicker/chewier. ABV is well restrained and drinkability is god. 3.75

O: Excellent beer, but I prefer regular Rare DOS. That being said this is great and definitely worth seeking out. 4.5 (1,574 characters)

4.5/5  rDev +0.4%

The beer pours inky black with a big foamy dark tan head that settles quickly around the perimeter. It has a nose rich in chocolate/caramel malt sweetness which is accentuated by subtle rum barrel spice - there;s nothing in-your-face or unpleasant and the alcohol is under wraps. The taste is equally sweet and big bodied with rounded out rum barrel notes that leave a syrupy spicy/chocolate coating on the palate and does little to produce an ethanol burn or bitterness (though there is some roast). It's an impressive BA stout, one I'd consider very drinkable and carefully balanced, but still difficult to acquire. (618 characters)

4.63/5  rDev +3.3%

Bottle popped and shared with Jared and John at iTap last night

A - Pours dark as night, thick and viscous with a half finger mocha foam head that holds for a bit. Medium lacing that stains the glass a bit.

S - As soon as I popped the bottle you could smell the rum, vanilla and chocolate. Once the three glasses were poured, you could smell it 5 feet away. Intense notes of sweet rum, vanilla, oak, chocolate, and hints of dark fruits.

T - The taste follows the nose to a point. Sweet carmel, chocolate, vanilla, dominate the front of the palate, with dark fruits, raisins figs dates plum coming through with tobacco notes that remind me of a mellowed out rum zhukov. Finish lingers and leaves a pleasurable taste in the mouth.

M - Chewy, thick viscous and velvety. Drinks very smooth and wouldn't be tough to dome this myself.

O -Another great beer from Tampa. They are killing it down there and this reminded me of a more chocolate vanilla forward rum zhukov. (970 characters)

4.42/5  rDev -1.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4.25

Growler filled April, 2013

Appearance: Black with tan head that leaves rather quickly and a ring remains with a little lacing.

Smell: It really is a bit subdued, hopefully as it warms up a bit the nose will become more apparent. After a while getting slight coffee, milk chocolate and alcohol. After 30 minutes (went out for a drive) I'm getting a little dark fruit on the nose.

Taste: Ah, this is what it's all about! Chocolate, dark fruit, a very slight booziness in the finish; almost a chocolate milkshake flavor, interesting. Very, very nice.

Mouthfeel: This is where it falls a little flat, too thin. This factor seems a bit odd and doesn't jive with everything else it has going for it.

Overall: So glad to finally crack this as I have been holding on to it for about 14 months. Damn, if only the mouthfeel was better it would score above the average. Still a wonderful experience! Now, if someone would send me one that was released today I could part with a Damon, ha-HA! (985 characters)

4.74/5  rDev +5.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

RareR Dos 2014 Release

My 450th beer rating, deserves a review..

A: Jet Black, Minimal to No head. Motor Oil.
S: I get lots of chocolate, some vanilla, some fruit, some rum. Very sweet.
T: Full body, thick and almost chewy with slightly lower carbonation. Not too boozy, but at the same time the rum barrels are there! I got more rum from the taste as opposed to the smell.
F/M: Creamy goodness, yet very light
O: I was very pleased with this beer, and it lived up to my expectations and hype. I am certainly interested to see how this will age in bottles and other BA offerings from Cycle/Pegs in the future.. (612 characters)

4.22/5  rDev -5.8%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Reviewed from notes while down in Tampa last weekend, sampled on tap during Cycle's barrel aged beer night.

A- Black as tar into the plastic cup provided with a creamy dark mocha head to about one finger high. Decent head retention and it eventually falls to a frothy ring leaving fine sheets of thin lace.

S- Somewhat faint to me for this type of the beer, first beer of the day too. Some nice dark cocoa, fudge and hints of whiskey oak barrels.

T- Dark, bitter cocoa nibs lead the way for me with a barrage of chocolate and cocoa powder. Some ripe cherry fruit hints but no raisin or spiciness like some brews can have. Bourbon is here but integrated well with oak, whiskey and a slight vanilla feel.

MF- Thick and chewy bodied with a heavy whipped creamy texture. Fairly warm whiskey bite and the medium level of carbonation allows the flavors to come through well.

Another impressive marriage of whiskey barrels and stouts. Something about the aroma wasn't quite up to par for me but the flavor made up for it. (1,019 characters)

4.54/5  rDev +1.3%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

Flip-top growler from the official release thanks to burg326. Wow- so excited to try this. Inky black pour. Weaker mocha head. Nose is vanilla, hazelnut, praline, waxy dark chocolate, malted milk balls, cocoa powder. Taste is excellent, woah, so much praline, amaretto, toasted almond, brownie, hazelnut/Nutella, dark cherry, malted milk balls. Palate is lighter, easy to drink, a tad thin and lemony. But overall the experience is sublime and really amazing. Definitely worth it. (480 characters)

4.21/5  rDev -6%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

16oz growler, 12/21/12
Hill Farmstead wine glass

A: Pours essentially pitch black. There was a pop on the growler, but no head. Only a thin ring or collar around edges of the glass. Conjure up some lacing bits with a swirl. Alcohol feet.

S: Smells fabulous, and not infected! Sweet booze notes on the nose. Sweeter than a bourbon barrel with the rum barrel. Candied sugar. Toffee. Caramel. Dark bitter chocolate. Booze. Fudge.

T: Initial flavor is that rum barrel sweetness. Them you get that dark bitter chocolate. Toffee, vanilla and caramel. Not a ton of roast in this, unless its covered but the barrel. Some dark fruits. Finish is long. Lingering sweetness. Alcohol warmth grows on you.

M: Full bodied. Not as creamy as I expected. (740 characters)

4.57/5  rDev +2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.75

I had the pleasure of tasting this beer on tap at Mikkeller Bar in San Francisco. They do a fantastic job at this bar of serving their beers at optimal temperature. I am confident that I had this beer at its very best thanks to Mikkeller

A - A near-black brown color followed by a thin line of medium-brown as a bed for a thick tan and fluffy head.

S - Light light coffee with sugar, nuts and an unmistakable scent of rum. Blackberries and slightly woody. Inoffensive, and easy to smell without any sting.

T - Hershey's chocolate syrup was the first thing I noticed. The fruit and rum come out around the sides of my tongue while mocha, vanilla, roasted nuts, and spiced wood run over the top. Just fantastic finish. A little more rum in the after taste, but not overpowering - just enough to remind you of what you just tasted

M - Surprisingly light on the tongue and throat. I hear others saying thick and chewy, but I would say it is in the middle somewhere. Very easy to drink, I could drink it fast, so I force myself to enjoy it over time.

O - If this is the only beer I could ever drink for the rest of my life, I would be okay with that. Just fantastic. If I saw this was tap again, I would go out of my way to make a trip to the pub. World class - easily a top-3 for me. Jeez, this is good stuff. (1,310 characters)

4.75/5  rDev +6%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Wow! Amazing stout! Just happened to be at the brewery and got the last pour of this beer. The look was thick and dark black with a thick tan head. The feel of the beer was very smooth and there was no bitter taste at the end. It almost felt like drinking chocolate milk. The smell was strong of coffee and chocolate with a slight barrel smell.

Great stuff from a great brewery.

Cheers. (390 characters)

4.46/5  rDev -0.4%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

A-dark brown black color with a small light brown head and minimal lacing

S-chocolate, dark fruit, molasses, coffee, little barrel aroma

T-dark roasted malt, coffee, molasses, chocolate, dark fruit, vanilla, light rum barrel, very well-balanced

F-full body with light carbonation, creamy and smooth

O-complex and really great balance in this stout, love to have this again (376 characters)

3.84/5  rDev -14.3%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

Growlerette received in trade from MeadMe, thanks for the opportunity.
Pours a thick inky black color with a tiny tan head that dissipates quickly. The aroma is heavy on the alcohol and rum with bits of roast, chocolate, dark pitted fruit and caramel. The flavor is chocolate, brown sugar, and caramel with a heavy presence of ethanol, rum and bits of earthy wood. Faint smokey malt and bits of dark fruit round out the flavor nicely. Medium to thick body with a light level of carbonation, and a slick, oily mouthfeel. This one gets a bit hot and is a sipper to be sure. This grew on me as I got towards the end. (613 characters)

3.1/5  rDev -30.8%
look: 3 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3.25

There is no way this is a 100/100 world class beer. I must have an infected bottle. Tons of booze, dark fruit, mild sourness, chocolate and a candy flavor. Very poor quality control. I kept this review short, but I am very disappointed since I gave up world class beers in a trade to get this. (293 characters)

4.57/5  rDev +2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.75

Huge thanks to steveadore for this awesome extra!

500ml flip-top growler poured into CBS snifter.

Appearance: Jet black bodied beer with a thick medium brown cap that drops to a ring around the glass.

Smell: This smells good! Boozey fudge brownies immediately come to mind! The booze has a bit of a spicy note to it. Lots of vanilla and chocolates. Hints of tabacco, roasty malt, and raisins. Great nose on this beer.

Taste: Starts off sweet with lots of fudge, vanilla, and a touch of spicy booze. Roasty malts, oaky / woody barrel flavors and tobacco dominate the middle of this beers flavor profile. Sweetness returns in the finish of the beer with more fudge and vanilla. A hint of tobacco, also some light roast almost a smokey/charred note. Great balance to this stout and nice complexity and depth as well. As the beer warms to room temperature more roast, char, and tobacco dominate this beer. The rum starts to stand out much more as well; you can definately get the rum influence distinctly when this beer has open up! Wow!

Mouthfeel: high end of a medium bodied beer almost a full bodied beer. This stout is fairly thick and kind of chewy; got a nice oily feel to it as well. Stickiness that blankets your mouth with big stout flavors. Low carbonation levels that suits this beer well. Also has a nice mild booze kick that also works wonderfully with this beer. The booziness gets a little smoother as the beer warms.

Overall: I havent tried very many rum barrel stouts. I have wanted to try this beer for a long time and I wasnt dissapointed! I am guessing that this beer is probably in the upper echelon of rum barrel aged stouts! I just dont see a rum barrel stout getting much better than this. I really like the subtle differences that a rum barrel adds to a stout. Brewers should age more stouts in rum barrels if you ask me! Also on a side note, I am really impressed how well this beer has held up in a flip top growler. When I first heard of this beer being in a 500ml flip top growler, my opinion was that you should probably drink it immediately. Honestly, I think that this beer could be cellared in the flip top glowler with solid results if you wanted to age this beer. I dont think that I would be able to cellar it personally because I prefer to drink all beers as fresh as possible(and this stout is rediculiously good!). I think that I will definately be seeking out more of these Peg's Cantina stouts in the future...they are definately worth your time and hard earned dollars! (2,515 characters)

4.39/5  rDev -2%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

A- Dark black motor oil. Illuminates a dark brown hue. Half finger mocha head with some retention, no lacing.

S- Milk chocolate, vanilla, coconut, oak. Some sweet rum.

F- Sweet rum, vanilla, coconut flakes all make for a sweet dominant beer. There is some dark chocolate bitterness to balance it out though. Barrel oak, milk chocolate add some more depth.

M- Medium bodied, a bit lower in carbonation than expected but there are enough bubbles. A bit sticky, resinous. Finish is slightly hot and sweet.

O- Very nice stout that brings a good bit of rum and coconut, as befitting a Florida stout. (598 characters)

4.24/5  rDev -5.4%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

500mL growler thanks to Matt!

A: Thin mocha head with a thick oily black body. Legs from a supermodel.

N: Licorice, burnt wood, raisin, lots of rum and vanilla. Tons of chocolate. Very spicy with lots of sweet cherry notes. A touch of ethanol.

T: Very, very well balanced. Lots of vanilla sweetness with a decent hop bitterness and some charred wood to round it out.

M: Oily and thick. Minor levels of carbonation keep this off the tongue enough so that it remains drinkable.

O: Thoroughly balanced and very enjoyable. It’s composed and well-blended together. Would definitely have this again. (605 characters)

4.64/5  rDev +3.6%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

Growler

Acquired via trade
Thanks, HeyOhhh!

Black throughout. Thick in body, but not quite as heavy or substantial in appearance as a Dark Lord or a Cigar City stout. A fairly large dark brown head initially, especially for the style. It doesn't last too long and slides down the glass fairly quickly, leaving spots of stick down the glass. All in all, a gorgeous barrel-aged imperial stout.

The aroma is really lovely. Rich with dark fruits, thick, rich, sweet, and earthy molasses, a mild vanilla, and layers of chocolate. Mild wood and just a bit of the liquor/spirit bite. Very, very nice.

The flavor is just as good as the aroma. Layers of sticky, decadent, bittersweet chocolates, a bit of the spirit and barrel, dark fruits, and just a hint of coconut. A really exceptional complex, layered, but drinkable imperial stout.

Full in body, low to moderate carbonation for the style, but very drinkable. Incredibly sticky. After some sips, I feel like there's melted caramel or chocolate trying to keep my lips closed with their stick. Something special.

Fantastic. A really special barrel-aged imperial stout. Would gladly drink this one again, and again, and again. (1,175 characters)

4.19/5  rDev -6.5%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

500 ml growler poured into a tasting glass

Pitch black with almost no head.
Aroma is rich and complex with rum, vanilla, fruits, coconut, roasted malt, oak, spices and slight chocolate.
Taste is moderately sweet with vanilla, fruits, oak, cacao, spices and acidic notes , light bitternes
Full body. Low carbonation.
Good Imperial Stout, but not a top-50 beers in my opinion. (380 characters)

4.3/5  rDev -4%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Bottle generously shared by jlindros at a recent tasting. Poured into a Portsmouth KtG tulip.

A - Pours a super dark brown color, clarity is good and shows a clear dark brown around the edges. Low head of brown foam, no lacing.

S - Brownies, super fudgy and chocolatey, sweet, rum, molasses and vanilla

T - Fudgy, rum, caramel, chocolate, smokey with tons of roasted malt flavors.

M - Thick and full bodied, rich, rather sweet with a lower carbonation level. Very smooth - liquid candy. Super dessert beer.

O - Really outstanding beer. Smooth and thick with lots of complexity. Really good stuff. Glad to have the opportunity to try this one. (647 characters)

4.17/5  rDev -6.9%

I have been seeking this one out for some time as I heard many great things about this beer. I was able to land a 550ml swing top growler from a buddy who went to the End of the World Party at Peg’s Cantina & Brewpub in Gulf Port, FL. I was concerned about the growler being 6 months old (12-21-12) and called the brewery which assured me that the beer was going to be still good and may be somewhat infected which kind of turned me off a bit, but since I went out for this beer, I decided to go for it. The beer poured pitch black with razor thin tan head that dissipated quickly as expected. You could bring it back to life after giving the glass a vigorous whirl. I immediately picked up some dark fruit, chocolate, light notes of molasses, and that slight rum booze in the aroma. There was complexity in the flavor which I appreciated especially knowing how old this growler was – malts, caramel, molasses, dark fruit, vanilla, rum and oak. There were zero carbonation; extremely thin mouth feel. Overall, I would have loved to taste this special beer fresh but beggars cannot be choosers. This did still give me that delicious and complex flavor I had been hoping when I cracked open the growler and sure glad to have checked this off my beer wish list. (1,262 characters)

4.45/5  rDev -0.7%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

Taste the rare! Big thanks to Mike for splitting this one - I thought for sure I'd never get the chance to sample it, especially now. Comes in a cool looking 500 mL swing-top. It gluggs out in to the glass, very thick and completely black. No head - even the mere ring that outlines the beer is slow to form; possibly a side-effect of being in a growler for a few months, but my thought (and hope) is that the carb for a brew like this is relatively low anyway, so it shouldn't matter much.

The extra "R" in "RareR" supposedly stands for "rum", as this batch was aged in rum barrels as opposed to whiskey barrels in the regular Rare D.O.S., and the first smell reaffirmed that notion completely. Huge rum character on the nose; boozy rum cake, sweet molten chocolates, graham crackers, molasses, a touch of vanilla, and quite a bit of dark fruits. The fruits consist of plum, grapes, and even a bit of apples, and seem to get stronger as the brew approaches room temp. Rum and sweet molasses still remain the leaders of the pack, though.

The first sip reveals quite a bit more of those sweet dark fruits that were so heavy in the aroma; plums, grapes, black cherries, and even some apple skins. Sweet and creamy chocolates come crashing in, soaked in a boozy rum bath. It seemed a bit quiet at first, but the rum character comes out more and more with each successive sip. The rum, chocolate, and dark fruit combination is pretty highly discernable, giving RareR D.O.S. a nice uniqueness in market that's saturated with stouts.

Waves of malts continue to grow in robustness and complexity with time; molasses, chocolate, caramel, and some brown sugar. The oak and woody character is either very low or just completely buried underneath all of the other flavors. The largest components of the barrel aging are definitely the vanilla and the rum itself. The finish is lightly boozy, never getting too hot, with even a mild finishing tartness from the fruits and a sweetness from the chocolates and molasses. Heavy bodied, thick and a bit chewy with an almost-creamy, slick and oily mouth feel.

It's hard to say whether or not this beer lived up to the "hype", because when a beer receives this much hype, your expectations are often raised to unreachable levels. So I'm going to try and forget those expectations and just say that RareR D.O.S. is a damn fine American imperial stout. Unique in many ways and highly complex. I wasn't expecting so much dark fruit sweetness, but it was integrated nicely and the rum provided a nice change of pace. Super glad I got to try this one, it was awesome - thanks, Mike! (2,612 characters)

4.21/5  rDev -6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

A: A jet black body that pours as think as motor oil. There was very little head present, the little that there was is lacy and coffee brown.

S: The smell on this was less then I was expecting. There was sweetness from the rum and a decent amount of chocolate and roast.

T: This is very unique. The rum comes out first with a sweet almost candy like flavor. The chocolate then comes forward with dark fruits, plum and raisin. There is a hint of vanilla and oak on the back end of this beer.

M: Very good body. It is silky smooth. I wish the carbonation was significantly heavier though.

O: A great stout. It is worth going after but not worth giving up too much for it. I prefer many stouts to this one. (708 characters)

4.46/5  rDev -0.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

Got a growler of this stuff from urwithdave a while back and just couldn't help but open it almost right out of the box. Thanks for thinking of me on this one man.

From a 500ml growler into a snifter
Bottled 21 December 2012

APPEARANCE: Pours out black and viscious but slightly transparent, yielding a small, medium looking tan head with decent retention. Head quickly fades to a faint wisp and ring. Black body and lower levels of carbonation evident. A ring remains but leaves no lacing down the glass. Dark with a nice head, but needs more staying power.

SMELL: A bold nose of roasted malts, dark, pure chocolate, brownies, mocha coffee with a touch of caramel and molasses. Bold and plenty decadent. Bourbon, oak and vanilla in there, as well as lots of coconut, all playing nicely with the roasted, chocolaty base beer. Excellent. Complex, bold, well-balanced and extremely enticing. This is that good.

TASTE: Roasted and chocoalte notes up front with nice pure, dark baker's chocolate before a powerful bourbon barrel finish. Bourbon, vanilla, oak and sweet flavors of caramel, lots of sweet cream and coconut, as well as molasses after the swallow, balanced with a nice dose of bitter dark chocolate. Barrel and base are wonderfully balanced here. The bourbon barrel is a little in forward here with plenty of sweet vanilla cream and coconut sweetness, but the roasted, chocolaty base with browines and molasses is there too. Wonderfully decadent.

PALATE: Medium body and medium levels of carbonation. Slightly prickly and could be heavier on the palate, goes down fine with a slight scratch anf finishes slightly sticky. Some heat lingers.

OVERALL: Phenomenal stuff. The Nose is unreal and the flavor top notch, so only the slightly light and rough palate keep this from virtual perfection. A creamier and somewhat heavier feel would make this other worldly. Very happy to have had the chance to try this beer, and hope to see more Peg's brews on this side of the pond. You've created a monster urwithdave. Cheers! (2,034 characters)

2.57/5  rDev -42.6%

Something must have been off with the bottle/growler that I got. Pour was as expected for the style, plenty of carbonation. The smell was off old cardboard not pleasant at all, probably the worse part of the beer. The taste had a slight sour cherry, vinous taste that kept growing taste after taste. The mouth feel was not as thick as desired. Honestly, though I hate to say it, this seemed like an infected fill. Really bummed about this as I love quality rum and was looking forward to this. (493 characters)

4.76/5  rDev +6.2%
look: 5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 5

Cracking this because its snowing in the middle of April.

500ml growler dated 12-21-2012 into a Central Waters snifter.

A- Pours slick rich black with a minimal tan head that's fades quick to only line the glass with a few waves of tan swirling about.

S- deep rich booze of chocolates and sweets. Just a hit on toasted marshmallow and sugar.

T- chocolate frosting, bits of dry cocoa, and a sweet marshmallow boozy finish.

M- light and thin medium type body. This beer coats your tongue and won't let go. Syrupy sticky finish with a touch of boozey heat.

O- I though this was an outstanding stout. Really close to one of my most recent favorites 2012 Black Tuesday. I like the balance of this beer and all the flavors that are constantly bouncing around. Wish it was as easy to acquire as Black Tuesday or some other huge stouts I've had lately. (853 characters)

Peg's G.O.O.D. RareR D.O.S. from Peg's Cantina & Brew Pub