Peg's G.O.O.D. RareR D.O.S. - Peg's Cantina & Brewpub / Cycle Brewing

Peg's G.O.O.D. RareR D.O.S.Peg's G.O.O.D. RareR D.O.S.

Peg's Cantina & Brewpub / Cycle Brewing visit their website
Florida, United States

American Double / Imperial Stout |  ABV ?

(Beer added by: MasterSki on 03-09-2012)

4.65/5  rDev +3.8%

Picked up the bottle / growler at Peg's at the release. Served in a Peg's snifter just because I'm greatest there ever was.

Beer is black with a thin tan head of small bubbles, low carbonation, no lacing, some legs on the glass and it is coated with the thickness of the beer in the swirl.

Aroma is perfect, cannot improve anymore, I saved the last bit in my glass just so I can carry it around the rest of the night smelling it. Strong liquor character but I don't smell much rum, smells more like whiskey to me, someone suggested that it does smell like dark rum, perhaps. Still smells amazing. Illogical, woody, sweet, vanilla, tannin, oak, booze....yum.

Beer is medium to big in body, smooth on the palate, sweet up front, nice liquor flavors in the middle, as good as Rare was I think, great mouthfeel, mild bitterness from grain at the end. A very good beer. I'd definitely have this again.

4.88/5  rDev +8.9%

First had: baby growler shared at the Mack House, Davie, FL. Thanks to Josh (toofdoc) for the generous share!

Dark black pour, thick and opaque, with a small cap of chocolate head that sank to a ringlet, leaving oily lacing on the glass. Still looks nice for being a week old. Aroma of dark malts, more sweet than roasty, chocolate, rum and vanilla, dark brown sugar. All of this translated into the taste, dark chocolate, smooth malt richness, vanilla, rum-soaked oak, caramel and a hint of butterscotch. Contrary to other reviews, I didn't really get any coconut out of this. Rich and full in body, smooth and velvety, lower carbonation, ABV seemed pretty high, I'm guessing 10+%, but as with Peg's stouts in general, there was basically no alcohol heat whatsoever. Amazing beer overall.

Honestly I don't get too much of a different effect from whiskey barrel aging and rum barrel aging in beers, especially big beers like this one, but I like both, so it's good either way. I'd like to have been able to try the Rare DOS as well, but it just wasn't to be. Maybe some other time. Hopefully.

4.68/5  rDev +4.5%

4.43/5  rDev -1.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

Scored one of these in a trade, decided to share it with foofaa after a random trip to Philly.

A - Pours black with a small film of head, quickly dissipating down to nothing at all, leaving no lace down the glass.

S - Smells of rich chocolate fudge, vanilla, coconut, caramel, toffee, oak, dark roasted malt and spicy rum. Not as much spirit as I was expecting, leaving plenty of room for the base aromas to shine through.

T - Starts off with the fudgey chocolate and smooth vanilla sweetness quickly being joined buy the toffee, caramel, oak, coconut, dark roasted grains and spicy rum bring it all together. Finish is a mix of sweetness and dark roast, combining with some warming booze to linger long after the finish. This is a really well put together beer.

M - Heavy body with moderate carbonation. Smooth feel goes a little watery toward the end of the glass. Booze is well hidden, only really coming forward as it warms up to room temperature.

O - Really solid BA stout. It didn't blow me away by any stretch of the imagination but it really made me want to try the regular Rare DOS. Hope I have that chance one day as I am pretty sure I am going to love it.

4.73/5  rDev +5.6%

500 mL growler. Number 13 of 25. Served in a Peg's snifter. Poured by a Cicerone Certified Beer Server.

Pours a viscous dark brown with clear ruby tinges in the edges with a fleeting khaki head and a few wisps of lace. Aroma is perfect, or so says the last 15 minutes I've spent smelling this beer without tasting it. Incredibly balanced and rich nose of vanilla, molasses, rum, bourbon, candi sugar, light oak and angel's tears. Flavor is not quite as transcendental as Rare was, but this is still exceptional. As it warms the rum becomes more dominant, with raisin, plum, caramel and light oak supporting a strong vanilla and molasses barrel presence. Syrupy, thick viscous body with very low carbonation. Aroma and flavor lingers forever after the glass is finished. The flavor didn't match the aroma and all around this experience didn't match Rare, but that said, I still enjoyed this infinitely more than recently sampled Dark Lord and Hunhapu variants.

4.63/5  rDev +3.3%

Review from notes taken on the 5th of July at Pegs. This was another surprise handed to me by Doug. Just a nonchalant here give this a try as he slides a snifter infront of me and then proceeds to treat everyone else sitting at the bar with a sample. I had no idea what I was drinking until all but the last sip remained.

The brew appeared black in color with a thin, tight tan cap sitting across the top. As it faded, it produced spotty lacing on the glass. When held to the light, a thin ruby brown clarity can be seen around the edges.

The smell was rich of coconut, raison sweetness blending into a soft touch of alcohol. The roast of the grain imparts a smell of dark chocolate, licorice and almost a hint of spicy menthol coolness. It was obvious this was barrel aged but the light spice inclusion had me scratching my head.

The flavor of this brew strikes with caramel and toasty coconut and toffee with vanilla all from the barrel againg. Before your palate has an opportunity to register "sweet" in your brain, a flavor of roast like espresso and bitter chocolate come out and are well pronounced mid-palate. A bit more vanilla and spice almost like raw oak but not quite increase in perception as the brew warms up.

This was a heavier bodied brew, almost chewy with a light level of carbonation. Super smooth and easy drinking as even the guy beside me stated outloud "jesus this is smooth for a dark beer." A fantastic sipper to say the least. What a joy and unexpected surprise to get to try this beer. Doug mentioned that perhaps this was held on to for too long and it was starting to fall off a bit. Are you serious? I can only imagine what this brew was like when it was fresh.

4.95/5  rDev +10.5%

Growler shared by drabmuh. Hell yeah! Thanks Matt.

I don't have a Peg's glass like the other guys, but they let me have some anyhow.

The beer is dark brown with a small and fleeting beige head. The aroma brings a huge dose of bourbon, followed by some vanilla, oak, roast and chocolate. The flavor is simply fabulous. World class. Well balanced and just teeming with flavor. I am getting much more bourbon flavor than rum. Perhaps dark rum adds some molasses and dark fruit flavors. Complex, wonderful, sippable, chuggable. What can I say? A+

3.75/5  rDev -16.3%

4.98/5  rDev +11.2%

Huge thanks to Rhettroactive for surprising us with this gem this evening. Bottle #21 poured from a 16oz swingtop into my Devil's Backbone tulip. It poured thick and black with a thin tan head clinging to edges of glass. Very dark and inviting.

The aroma has a very rich chocolate and toasted coconut flavor to it. Its a little like a dark chocolate and coconut brownie. A little boozy rum is there, bit it integrates very well. Very rich and sweet, a little desert like but really awesome aroma overall.

The taste shows a lot of toasted coconut and dark bittersweet chocolate. A little more of the rum is there but again really integrates and compliments well. Caramelized brown sugar and vanilla come out in the finish. I got a little more dark fruits as it warmed. So smooth and rich.

Mouthfeel thick and creamy with low carbonation. The slickness really is awesome and very fitting.

Overall it was a really fantastic beer. It was so smooth and rich. I loved the toasted coconut and vanilla flavors. Wow, this was an amazing beer. The rum barrel gave it some fantastic qualities that really sets it apart from the standard Bourbon barrel beers of the style. The barrel aging was perfectly done as well, so well integrated and complimenting. This really wasn't even on my radar because I've never really had any rum barrel beers that have impressed me, but this one completely blew me away tonight. This is definitely worthy of mention among the elite few top of the style for me.

4.58/5  rDev +2.2%

10/27/2012

Thanks to Rich for opening this. Bottle into a snifter.

Near black with some auburn highlights. Big light brown head. The aroma brings to mind cocoa and toffee with a great blend of cinnamon and vanilla. Lots of dark chocolate and fudge and a little rum character. Light alcohol. In the flavor I find brown sugar with a subtle rum presence. There's an interesting cinnamon chili pepper note in there with ample fudge. Smooth rum fudge oak finish. Well hidden alcohol. The mouthfeel is chewy, sticky, and silky with a full body and a medium level of carbonation. Overall, this is very good. We tried this next to the batch of Rare Dos that was released at the same time, whenever that was, and it was quite a bit better. Though, the Rare Dos we tried was noticeably inferior to other batch I tried and reviewed in the middle of 2011. Highly Recommended.

4.13/5  rDev -7.8%

On-tap at Peg's. Poured to a snifter on March 9, 2012. Reviewed from notes.

Appearance - Quite black with a nice dark khaki/mocha head. Sticky without much retention.

Smell - Barrel notes. vanilla and oak. Rum is secondary, which is good because I don't love the rum aroma. Good chocolate behind everything. Really smells quite wonderful.

Taste - Rum is definitely more prominent in the taste. Sweet rum flavor with less barrel. Some vanilla and oak, but mostly rum. Chocolate and some bitterness. Good finish from the stout, but the rum lingers for a bit too long making it seem hot.

Mouthfeel - Tingly alcohol without being too boozy. Low carbonation. The lingering rum flavor is a bit unpleasant, though.

Overall - I don't think this is anywhere near as good as Rare DOS, but I'm in the minority. I find that the rum detracts more than it adds.

4.98/5  rDev +11.2%

From 16oz swingtop growler to Portsmouth glass on 3/24/12
*From notes

-- An epic thanks to SturgisPodmore for trading me this gem of a beer --

Growler # 21 of 25

A: Tarpit blackish-brown. Pouring it straight down the center of the glass yields a thin .25 finger head. It fades quickly, leaving a layer of creamy streaks across the top of the beer. A thin off-white collar remains. And I should note that this sucker just coats the glass as I swirl it ever so slightly.

S: Spectacular doesn't begin to describe it. A masterful balance of alcohol esters, spirit notes and sweet liquid brownie batter smother my nostrils. The coconut and hints of vanilla bean are outstanding.

T: Unimaginably delicious. I don't care how rare it is - I promise that even if this was a year-round shelf offering, it would be just about the tastiest God damn beer I've ever consumed. So incredibly decadent and rich. The concentration here is simply out of bounds, as it reminds me of some of the best California cult cabs. Like Screaming Eagle is to wine, this is to beer.

The fore is melted dark chocolate, it just oozes all over my palate. The mid showcases red fruit - plums, ripe cherries and a touch of late harvest dark berries. The rum and spirit profile hits on the back, but it comes across more like a bourbon barrel, as it's overflowing with toasted vanilla bean and fresh coconut skin. There's also a deep through line of cane sugar, which rides from beginning to end, and it sticks to my lips and tongue as I soak it all in. The finish....oh, the finish. It lingers inside my mouth for ages - I can literally taste it for over ten minutes without a return trip to my glass. Wihtout question, this stands as one of the finest things I've ever had the pleasure imbibing.

M: Like the finest linens covering the finest bed in the finest Rain Man suite in Las Vegas. This is dense and massively creamy, yet it's apporachable and extraordinarily easy to put back. Smooth, luscious and elegant beyond compare.

O: The whole room went silent as we took our notes, imbibing what ultimately is the best beer I have ever quaffed. I genuinely assumed that there was no possible way that RareR DOS would live up to the mammoth hype that it or Rare DOS have received. Yet to be blunt: it did....and then some.

Up-Up-Down-Down-Left-Right-Left-Right-B-A-B-A-Start

I'm praying that maybe the old Konami code might just get me 100 more of these, as even then, it wouldn't be enough.

Unquestionably the crowning achievement of the American Craft Brewing movement.

3.83/5  rDev -14.5%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

Growlerette received in trade from MeadMe, thanks for the opportunity.
Pours a thick inky black color with a tiny tan head that dissipates quickly. The aroma is heavy on the alcohol and rum with bits of roast, chocolate, dark pitted fruit and caramel. The flavor is chocolate, brown sugar, and caramel with a heavy presence of ethanol, rum and bits of earthy wood. Faint smokey malt and bits of dark fruit round out the flavor nicely. Medium to thick body with a light level of carbonation, and a slick, oily mouthfeel. This one gets a bit hot and is a sipper to be sure. This grew on me as I got towards the end.

Peg's G.O.O.D. RareR D.O.S. from Peg's Cantina & Brewpub / Cycle Brewing