2. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Peg's G.O.O.D. RareR D.O.S. - Peg's Cantina & Brewpub / Cycle Brewing

Peg's G.O.O.D. RareR D.O.S.Peg's G.O.O.D. RareR D.O.S.

Peg's Cantina & Brewpub / Cycle Brewing visit their website
Florida, United States

American Double / Imperial Stout |  ABV ?

(Beer added by: MasterSki on 03-09-2012)
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Reviewers
Ratings: 419 | Reviews: 85 | Show All Ratings:
Rhettroactive

4.98/5  rDev +11.2%

From 16oz swingtop growler to Portsmouth glass on 3/24/12
*From notes

-- An epic thanks to SturgisPodmore for trading me this gem of a beer --

Growler # 21 of 25

A: Tarpit blackish-brown. Pouring it straight down the center of the glass yields a thin .25 finger head. It fades quickly, leaving a layer of creamy streaks across the top of the beer. A thin off-white collar remains. And I should note that this sucker just coats the glass as I swirl it ever so slightly.

S: Spectacular doesn't begin to describe it. A masterful balance of alcohol esters, spirit notes and sweet liquid brownie batter smother my nostrils. The coconut and hints of vanilla bean are outstanding.

T: Unimaginably delicious. I don't care how rare it is - I promise that even if this was a year-round shelf offering, it would be just about the tastiest God damn beer I've ever consumed. So incredibly decadent and rich. The concentration here is simply out of bounds, as it reminds me of some of the best California cult cabs. Like Screaming Eagle is to wine, this is to beer.

The fore is melted dark chocolate, it just oozes all over my palate. The mid showcases red fruit - plums, ripe cherries and a touch of late harvest dark berries. The rum and spirit profile hits on the back, but it comes across more like a bourbon barrel, as it's overflowing with toasted vanilla bean and fresh coconut skin. There's also a deep through line of cane sugar, which rides from beginning to end, and it sticks to my lips and tongue as I soak it all in. The finish....oh, the finish. It lingers inside my mouth for ages - I can literally taste it for over ten minutes without a return trip to my glass. Wihtout question, this stands as one of the finest things I've ever had the pleasure imbibing.

M: Like the finest linens covering the finest bed in the finest Rain Man suite in Las Vegas. This is dense and massively creamy, yet it's apporachable and extraordinarily easy to put back. Smooth, luscious and elegant beyond compare.

O: The whole room went silent as we took our notes, imbibing what ultimately is the best beer I have ever quaffed. I genuinely assumed that there was no possible way that RareR DOS would live up to the mammoth hype that it or Rare DOS have received. Yet to be blunt: it did....and then some.

Up-Up-Down-Down-Left-Right-Left-Right-B-A-B-A-Start

I'm praying that maybe the old Konami code might just get me 100 more of these, as even then, it wouldn't be enough.

Unquestionably the crowning achievement of the American Craft Brewing movement.

03-25-2012 18:16:20 | More by Rhettroactive
IrishColonial

4.9/5  rDev +9.4%

The rarest beer I will probably ever have. Thanks so much Rhett for your generosity!

A: Dark chocolate brown with minimal head. Swirls of light cream on top.

S: Smells delicious. Waves of vanilla and wood at the forefront. Subsides a bit into some dark fruits, plum, prune, raisin. Hints of blackstrap molasses throughout but not dominant. The booze melds well but smells more like bourbon than rum although some of the good sipping rum I've had from Central America smells similar. I smelled it at least 20 times before a taste but smelled more coconut and chocolate at the end. Unrivaled balance.

T: The rum comes out a better on the taste. Rich chocolate, vanilla, brown sugar. Like a rich dessert, melted brownie with a rum glaze. A bit of lactic acidity and tastes of wood provide an interesting counterpoint that is a bit different from everything else, providing almost a dry finish. Delicious.

M: This beer is the epitome of creamy. Melts in your mouth. A little sticky and dry on the finish but this is nitpicking.

O: This is one of the best beers I have ever had. Off the top of my head, GI Rare would give this a good cage match. This is a delicious treat that I enjoyed to every sip. I hope to be able to try the Rare DOS someday but if it is anything close to this, it will be an accomplishment.

03-25-2012 00:34:25 | More by IrishColonial
kif

4.78/5  rDev +6.7%

A- Black with a very small tan head. Growler is 13 days old, so not sure if there would have been a more noticeable head earlier.

S- Molasses, vanilla, caramel.

T- Sweet at first, definite brown sugar/molasses flavor. The rum comes in later on. Very complex, great flavor

M- Very smooth. Medium to full body.

O - I have not tried the normal rare dos, but this was a pretty perfect beer to me. Reminded me of some of the BCBS variants I recently had at Stout Fest. I am really happy I was able to trade for a growler of this.

03-23-2012 01:34:34 | More by kif
drabmuh

Maryland

4.65/5  rDev +3.8%

Picked up the bottle / growler at Peg's at the release. Served in a Peg's snifter just because I'm greatest there ever was.

Beer is black with a thin tan head of small bubbles, low carbonation, no lacing, some legs on the glass and it is coated with the thickness of the beer in the swirl.

Aroma is perfect, cannot improve anymore, I saved the last bit in my glass just so I can carry it around the rest of the night smelling it. Strong liquor character but I don't smell much rum, smells more like whiskey to me, someone suggested that it does smell like dark rum, perhaps. Still smells amazing. Illogical, woody, sweet, vanilla, tannin, oak, booze....yum.

Beer is medium to big in body, smooth on the palate, sweet up front, nice liquor flavors in the middle, as good as Rare was I think, great mouthfeel, mild bitterness from grain at the end. A very good beer. I'd definitely have this again.

03-21-2012 15:59:59 | More by drabmuh
yourefragile

4.73/5  rDev +5.6%

500 mL growler. Number 13 of 25. Served in a Peg's snifter. Poured by a Cicerone Certified Beer Server.

Pours a viscous dark brown with clear ruby tinges in the edges with a fleeting khaki head and a few wisps of lace. Aroma is perfect, or so says the last 15 minutes I've spent smelling this beer without tasting it. Incredibly balanced and rich nose of vanilla, molasses, rum, bourbon, candi sugar, light oak and angel's tears. Flavor is not quite as transcendental as Rare was, but this is still exceptional. As it warms the rum becomes more dominant, with raisin, plum, caramel and light oak supporting a strong vanilla and molasses barrel presence. Syrupy, thick viscous body with very low carbonation. Aroma and flavor lingers forever after the glass is finished. The flavor didn't match the aroma and all around this experience didn't match Rare, but that said, I still enjoyed this infinitely more than recently sampled Dark Lord and Hunhapu variants.

03-18-2012 22:09:52 | More by yourefragile
Thorpe429

4.68/5  rDev +4.5%

Huge, huge thanks to drabmuh for this growler. Thanks to jcartamdg for giving me the chance to have this one again. Served in a Peg's snifter.

Pours black with a thick tan head and fairly nice retention. A thin collar as it goes down.

The nose carries a beautiful combination of dark fruits, molasses, rum, vanilla, chocolate, and sweet malt. Light coconut in the background. Absolutely gorgeous. Only rivaled by Rare D.O.S. the flavor continues on the same path and it does not disappoint. Just incredible integration between all the components. The barrel character is so smooth. Unreal.

Body is full and viscous, though not quite to the level of Rare D.O.S., which is pretty much my only complaint. So chewy and full. No alcohol at all. Simply an amazing beer.

03-18-2012 22:03:19 | More by Thorpe429
Huhzubendah

4.95/5  rDev +10.5%

Growler shared by drabmuh. Hell yeah! Thanks Matt.

I don't have a Peg's glass like the other guys, but they let me have some anyhow.

The beer is dark brown with a small and fleeting beige head. The aroma brings a huge dose of bourbon, followed by some vanilla, oak, roast and chocolate. The flavor is simply fabulous. World class. Well balanced and just teeming with flavor. I am getting much more bourbon flavor than rum. Perhaps dark rum adds some molasses and dark fruit flavors. Complex, wonderful, sippable, chuggable. What can I say? A+

03-18-2012 21:51:20 | More by Huhzubendah
jrallen34

4.43/5  rDev -1.1%

draft at Peg's... dark black body, a small brown head forms, a thing ring lingers a bit... the aroma is thick and sweet, heavily accented by rum, dark fruits, barrel, molasses... the taste is excellent and I prefer this to rare dos on tap, but not the rare dos previous batch, again lots of rum, barrel, a touch hot, a little more chocolate would go far... lucky to try and worth having again

03-18-2012 21:20:46 | More by jrallen34
AgentZero

4.53/5  rDev +1.1%
look: 5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

On tap at Peg's. Drank side by side with Rare D.O.S.

A - Gorgeous black beer with a nice brown head. Had great retention. Some minor spots left on the sides.

S - Carmel, chocolate, just a touch of brown sugar and coconut. The rum barrel adds some really nice spice and sweetness characteristics without blowing the beer up. Have not gotten this from most rum barrel aged beers yet, as most of them have just been bad and/or infected.

T - Rum was a great addition to this. Nice rum, chocolate, brown sugar, and barrel. Not sure how stiff this is, but the beer is quite smooth and doesn't suffer from any heat. Great big stout flavors with a bit of a spicey twist to it.

M - Smooth, full, moderate carbonation.

O - Liked this better than the new batch of Rare D.O.S. Speaking of which, Rare D.O.S. one of the best beers I've ever drank, but in having it fresh I realized it's one that gets a lot better with age. This on the other hand, was good to go. Awesome taste, manages to be a nice big stout with a bit of unique character from the Rum barrel.

03-15-2012 19:53:27 | More by AgentZero
Sean9689

4.6/5  rDev +2.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

*REVIEW #1000* On-tap at Peg's into snifter.

A - Pours black, mocha head, thin collar, spotty lace, wisps.

S - Smooth booze, chocolate (milk/dark/bakers), light caramel, excellent level of rum notes in there too. It's very easy to pick out the rum version versus the regular Rare DOS and it's cool to have them side-by-side.

T - Rum, chocolate, vanilla, burnt sugars, excellent barrel character. The booze is just oh-so-smooth and enjoyable and just to my liking. I think the rum adds something else to this beer instead of taking away from the base Rare DOS. Really just outstanding stuff.

M - Full, rich and smooth, nice subtle carbonation, creamy finish.

O - I have to say, this is slightly better then Rare DOS for me. The rum barrel really adds another layer to this beer, even though I didn't think it was possible. Not sure if I'll ever have it again, but hey, my fingers are crossed!

03-12-2012 17:11:33 | More by Sean9689