Peg's G.O.O.D. RareR D.O.S. - Peg's Cantina & Brewpub / Cycle Brewing

Peg's G.O.O.D. RareR D.O.S.Peg's G.O.O.D. RareR D.O.S.

Peg's Cantina & Brewpub / Cycle Brewing visit their website
Florida, United States

American Double / Imperial Stout |  ABV ?

(Beer added by: MasterSki on 03-09-2012)

Fantastic!

From 16oz swingtop growler to Portsmouth glass on 3/24/12
*From notes

-- An epic thanks to SturgisPodmore for trading me this gem of a beer --

Growler # 21 of 25

A: Tarpit blackish-brown. Pouring it straight down the center of the glass yields a thin .25 finger head. It fades quickly, leaving a layer of creamy streaks across the top of the beer. A thin off-white collar remains. And I should note that this sucker just coats the glass as I swirl it ever so slightly.

S: Spectacular doesn't begin to describe it. A masterful balance of alcohol esters, spirit notes and sweet liquid brownie batter smother my nostrils. The coconut and hints of vanilla bean are outstanding.

T: Unimaginably delicious. I don't care how rare it is - I promise that even if this was a year-round shelf offering, it would be just about the tastiest God damn beer I've ever consumed. So incredibly decadent and rich. The concentration here is simply out of bounds, as it reminds me of some of the best California cult cabs. Like Screaming Eagle is to wine, this is to beer.

The fore is melted dark chocolate, it just oozes all over my palate. The mid showcases red fruit - plums, ripe cherries and a touch of late harvest dark berries. The rum and spirit profile hits on the back, but it comes across more like a bourbon barrel, as it's overflowing with toasted vanilla bean and fresh coconut skin. There's also a deep through line of cane sugar, which rides from beginning to end, and it sticks to my lips and tongue as I soak it all in. The finish....oh, the finish. It lingers inside my mouth for ages - I can literally taste it for over ten minutes without a return trip to my glass. Wihtout question, this stands as one of the finest things I've ever had the pleasure imbibing.

M: Like the finest linens covering the finest bed in the finest Rain Man suite in Las Vegas. This is dense and massively creamy, yet it's apporachable and extraordinarily easy to put back. Smooth, luscious and elegant beyond compare.

O: The whole room went silent as we took our notes, imbibing what ultimately is the best beer I have ever quaffed. I genuinely assumed that there was no possible way that RareR DOS would live up to the mammoth hype that it or Rare DOS have received. Yet to be blunt: it did....and then some.

Up-Up-Down-Down-Left-Right-Left-Right-B-A-B-A-Start

I'm praying that maybe the old Konami code might just get me 100 more of these, as even then, it wouldn't be enough.

Unquestionably the crowning achievement of the American Craft Brewing movement.

Review from notes.

Thanks to Aaron and co. for dragging me out of my study den and making me have an awesome time. You guys rock. This beer poured pitch black. It's a black hole. A deep abyss that sports a milk chocolate brown head that dares you to disturb it. So I did. And holy shit, this beer is SMOOTH. That's the first thing that came to my head. All the flavors are wonderfully melded together. Toffee, toasted marshmallows, caramel, figs/raisins, coffee, dark chocolate, it's all there. Follow that with a nice boozy rum presence and oak. This is where it's at guys. Big body, excellent carbonation. Word.

4.98/5  rDev +11.2%

Well this was quite the surprise, Rhettroactive, thanks so much for the insane generosity of opening this bottle with us.

Reviewed from notes.

A: Pours an inky black that fades to a gentle ruby on the very edges of the glass. Touches of deep burgundy shimmer out in the light. Half finger of light tan head that rapidly settles down to a thin sheen. Minimal lacing.

S: Goodness gracious. Possibly the best stout I have ever had the pleasure of dipping my nose into. The only other thing I can even think of that comes close is GI Rare. So many things going on here...chocolate, molasses, vanilla, oak, raisin, plum, and even some melon. Hints of tobacco emerge from the background as it warms. Rich, decadent, and absolutely delightful. Unbelievable.

T: Chocolate, coconut, dark fruit, leather. Really impressive coconut on this...it's quite assertive, but doesn't overwhelm. Pretty good amount of vanilla as well. What's most surprising is how refined the barrel (and rum) character is on this. The wood is not very apparent on this, only serving to augment rather than overwhelm. And the rum takes on almost a bourbon like quality, only imparting some delicate, light fruitiness instead of the gross, Malibu, pina colada quality I have found in lesser rum barrel aged stouts. This is amazing.

M: Perfect. Low carbonation, full bodied, spectacular complexity and shows you a new flavor every sip. Nice coating mouthfeel, thick and delicious.

O: I have many more stouts to go before I can declare this the best ever, but I can't recall having had something more delicious than this, except possibly GI Rare. An outstanding experience top to finish. Cannot thank you enough, Rhett, for this ridiculous treat.

4.98/5  rDev +11.2%

Huge thanks to Rhettroactive for surprising us with this gem this evening. Bottle #21 poured from a 16oz swingtop into my Devil's Backbone tulip. It poured thick and black with a thin tan head clinging to edges of glass. Very dark and inviting.

The aroma has a very rich chocolate and toasted coconut flavor to it. Its a little like a dark chocolate and coconut brownie. A little boozy rum is there, bit it integrates very well. Very rich and sweet, a little desert like but really awesome aroma overall.

The taste shows a lot of toasted coconut and dark bittersweet chocolate. A little more of the rum is there but again really integrates and compliments well. Caramelized brown sugar and vanilla come out in the finish. I got a little more dark fruits as it warmed. So smooth and rich.

Mouthfeel thick and creamy with low carbonation. The slickness really is awesome and very fitting.

Overall it was a really fantastic beer. It was so smooth and rich. I loved the toasted coconut and vanilla flavors. Wow, this was an amazing beer. The rum barrel gave it some fantastic qualities that really sets it apart from the standard Bourbon barrel beers of the style. The barrel aging was perfectly done as well, so well integrated and complimenting. This really wasn't even on my radar because I've never really had any rum barrel beers that have impressed me, but this one completely blew me away tonight. This is definitely worthy of mention among the elite few top of the style for me.

4.95/5  rDev +10.5%

Opened a 16oz growler received from this years release
A- dark black with brown lacing and nice head

S- chocolate lactose smooth hint of rum. The lactose hides the booziness quite well.

T- smooth chocolate with hints of coffee and a heavenly rum finish

M- thick stout well balanced with a nice head of lactose. The consistency was not as thick as MZ but very easy to drink.

O- This is by far the best stout ive had yet. Had the PEGS rare on tap the same day and i liked the rum barrel aged better than the bourbon barrel aged. I could drink this stuff all day!

4.95/5  rDev +10.5%

Growler shared by drabmuh. Hell yeah! Thanks Matt.

I don't have a Peg's glass like the other guys, but they let me have some anyhow.

The beer is dark brown with a small and fleeting beige head. The aroma brings a huge dose of bourbon, followed by some vanilla, oak, roast and chocolate. The flavor is simply fabulous. World class. Well balanced and just teeming with flavor. I am getting much more bourbon flavor than rum. Perhaps dark rum adds some molasses and dark fruit flavors. Complex, wonderful, sippable, chuggable. What can I say? A+

4.93/5  rDev +10%

228th Review
Growler to CBC taster
Enjoyed on 11 May 2012

Thanks for this RareR tasty brew Johndoe8!

A: The abyss of black. Thin layer of soft mocha bubbles for a head. Thick motor oil consistency.

S: Smells of rum, sweet caramel, dark chocolate, and vanilla. Beautiful nose and quite inviting!

T: Complex and deep. Follows nose closely, but the rum is a bit more muted. Not too sweet - the vanilla balances the dark chocolate and caramel nicely. Notes of coconut and oak add to the enjoyable complexity of this beer and everything is intertwined to perfection.

M: Full bodied with gentle carbonation. Thick and coating, but very smooth.

O: Simply put...this beer is amazing! I'll leave it at that.

4.9/5  rDev +9.4%

The rarest beer I will probably ever have. Thanks so much Rhett for your generosity!

A: Dark chocolate brown with minimal head. Swirls of light cream on top.

S: Smells delicious. Waves of vanilla and wood at the forefront. Subsides a bit into some dark fruits, plum, prune, raisin. Hints of blackstrap molasses throughout but not dominant. The booze melds well but smells more like bourbon than rum although some of the good sipping rum I've had from Central America smells similar. I smelled it at least 20 times before a taste but smelled more coconut and chocolate at the end. Unrivaled balance.

T: The rum comes out a better on the taste. Rich chocolate, vanilla, brown sugar. Like a rich dessert, melted brownie with a rum glaze. A bit of lactic acidity and tastes of wood provide an interesting counterpoint that is a bit different from everything else, providing almost a dry finish. Delicious.

M: This beer is the epitome of creamy. Melts in your mouth. A little sticky and dry on the finish but this is nitpicking.

O: This is one of the best beers I have ever had. Off the top of my head, GI Rare would give this a good cage match. This is a delicious treat that I enjoyed to every sip. I hope to be able to try the Rare DOS someday but if it is anything close to this, it will be an accomplishment.

4.88/5  rDev +8.9%

First had: baby growler shared at the Mack House, Davie, FL. Thanks to Josh (toofdoc) for the generous share!

Dark black pour, thick and opaque, with a small cap of chocolate head that sank to a ringlet, leaving oily lacing on the glass. Still looks nice for being a week old. Aroma of dark malts, more sweet than roasty, chocolate, rum and vanilla, dark brown sugar. All of this translated into the taste, dark chocolate, smooth malt richness, vanilla, rum-soaked oak, caramel and a hint of butterscotch. Contrary to other reviews, I didn't really get any coconut out of this. Rich and full in body, smooth and velvety, lower carbonation, ABV seemed pretty high, I'm guessing 10+%, but as with Peg's stouts in general, there was basically no alcohol heat whatsoever. Amazing beer overall.

Honestly I don't get too much of a different effect from whiskey barrel aging and rum barrel aging in beers, especially big beers like this one, but I like both, so it's good either way. I'd like to have been able to try the Rare DOS as well, but it just wasn't to be. Maybe some other time. Hopefully.

4.85/5  rDev +8.3%