Peg's G.O.O.D. RareR D.O.S. - Peg's Cantina & Brewpub / Cycle Brewing

Peg's G.O.O.D. RareR D.O.S.Peg's G.O.O.D. RareR D.O.S.

Peg's Cantina & Brewpub / Cycle Brewing visit their website
Florida, United States

American Double / Imperial Stout |  ABV ?

(Beer added by: MasterSki on 03-09-2012)
ObiWanKushnobi

From 16oz swingtop growler to Portsmouth glass on 3/24/12
*From notes

-- An epic thanks to SturgisPodmore for trading me this gem of a beer --

Growler # 21 of 25

A: Tarpit blackish-brown. Pouring it straight down the center of the glass yields a thin .25 finger head. It fades quickly, leaving a layer of creamy streaks across the top of the beer. A thin off-white collar remains. And I should note that this sucker just coats the glass as I swirl it ever so slightly.

S: Spectacular doesn't begin to describe it. A masterful balance of alcohol esters, spirit notes and sweet liquid brownie batter smother my nostrils. The coconut and hints of vanilla bean are outstanding.

T: Unimaginably delicious. I don't care how rare it is - I promise that even if this was a year-round shelf offering, it would be just about the tastiest God damn beer I've ever consumed. So incredibly decadent and rich. The concentration here is simply out of bounds, as it reminds me of some of the best California cult cabs. Like Screaming Eagle is to wine, this is to beer.

The fore is melted dark chocolate, it just oozes all over my palate. The mid showcases red fruit - plums, ripe cherries and a touch of late harvest dark berries. The rum and spirit profile hits on the back, but it comes across more like a bourbon barrel, as it's overflowing with toasted vanilla bean and fresh coconut skin. There's also a deep through line of cane sugar, which rides from beginning to end, and it sticks to my lips and tongue as I soak it all in. The finish....oh, the finish. It lingers inside my mouth for ages - I can literally taste it for over ten minutes without a return trip to my glass. Wihtout question, this stands as one of the finest things I've ever had the pleasure imbibing.

M: Like the finest linens covering the finest bed in the finest Rain Man suite in Las Vegas. This is dense and massively creamy, yet it's apporachable and extraordinarily easy to put back. Smooth, luscious and elegant beyond compare.

O: The whole room went silent as we took our notes, imbibing what ultimately is the best beer I have ever quaffed. I genuinely assumed that there was no possible way that RareR DOS would live up to the mammoth hype that it or Rare DOS have received. Yet to be blunt: it did....and then some.

Up-Up-Down-Down-Left-Right-Left-Right-B-A-B-A-Start

I'm praying that maybe the old Konami code might just get me 100 more of these, as even then, it wouldn't be enough.

Unquestionably the crowning achievement of the American Craft Brewing movement.

03-25-2012 18:16:20 | More by Rhettroactive
DmanGTR

Review from notes.

Thanks to Aaron and co. for dragging me out of my study den and making me have an awesome time. You guys rock. This beer poured pitch black. It's a black hole. A deep abyss that sports a milk chocolate brown head that dares you to disturb it. So I did. And holy shit, this beer is SMOOTH. That's the first thing that came to my head. All the flavors are wonderfully melded together. Toffee, toasted marshmallows, caramel, figs/raisins, coffee, dark chocolate, it's all there. Follow that with a nice boozy rum presence and oak. This is where it's at guys. Big body, excellent carbonation. Word.

05-31-2012 16:37:06 | More by DmanGTR
siege06nd

4.98/5  rDev +11.2%

Well this was quite the surprise, Rhettroactive, thanks so much for the insane generosity of opening this bottle with us.

Reviewed from notes.

A: Pours an inky black that fades to a gentle ruby on the very edges of the glass. Touches of deep burgundy shimmer out in the light. Half finger of light tan head that rapidly settles down to a thin sheen. Minimal lacing.

S: Goodness gracious. Possibly the best stout I have ever had the pleasure of dipping my nose into. The only other thing I can even think of that comes close is GI Rare. So many things going on here...chocolate, molasses, vanilla, oak, raisin, plum, and even some melon. Hints of tobacco emerge from the background as it warms. Rich, decadent, and absolutely delightful. Unbelievable.

T: Chocolate, coconut, dark fruit, leather. Really impressive coconut on this...it's quite assertive, but doesn't overwhelm. Pretty good amount of vanilla as well. What's most surprising is how refined the barrel (and rum) character is on this. The wood is not very apparent on this, only serving to augment rather than overwhelm. And the rum takes on almost a bourbon like quality, only imparting some delicate, light fruitiness instead of the gross, Malibu, pina colada quality I have found in lesser rum barrel aged stouts. This is amazing.

M: Perfect. Low carbonation, full bodied, spectacular complexity and shows you a new flavor every sip. Nice coating mouthfeel, thick and delicious.

O: I have many more stouts to go before I can declare this the best ever, but I can't recall having had something more delicious than this, except possibly GI Rare. An outstanding experience top to finish. Cannot thank you enough, Rhett, for this ridiculous treat.

04-05-2012 15:23:16 | More by siege06nd
billab914

4.98/5  rDev +11.2%

Huge thanks to Rhettroactive for surprising us with this gem this evening. Bottle #21 poured from a 16oz swingtop into my Devil's Backbone tulip. It poured thick and black with a thin tan head clinging to edges of glass. Very dark and inviting.

The aroma has a very rich chocolate and toasted coconut flavor to it. Its a little like a dark chocolate and coconut brownie. A little boozy rum is there, bit it integrates very well. Very rich and sweet, a little desert like but really awesome aroma overall.

The taste shows a lot of toasted coconut and dark bittersweet chocolate. A little more of the rum is there but again really integrates and compliments well. Caramelized brown sugar and vanilla come out in the finish. I got a little more dark fruits as it warmed. So smooth and rich.

Mouthfeel thick and creamy with low carbonation. The slickness really is awesome and very fitting.

Overall it was a really fantastic beer. It was so smooth and rich. I loved the toasted coconut and vanilla flavors. Wow, this was an amazing beer. The rum barrel gave it some fantastic qualities that really sets it apart from the standard Bourbon barrel beers of the style. The barrel aging was perfectly done as well, so well integrated and complimenting. This really wasn't even on my radar because I've never really had any rum barrel beers that have impressed me, but this one completely blew me away tonight. This is definitely worthy of mention among the elite few top of the style for me.

03-26-2012 15:52:09 | More by billab914
Maximus_Prime

Colorado

4.95/5  rDev +10.5%

Opened a 16oz growler received from this years release
A- dark black with brown lacing and nice head

S- chocolate lactose smooth hint of rum. The lactose hides the booziness quite well.

T- smooth chocolate with hints of coffee and a heavenly rum finish

M- thick stout well balanced with a nice head of lactose. The consistency was not as thick as MZ but very easy to drink.

O- This is by far the best stout ive had yet. Had the PEGS rare on tap the same day and i liked the rum barrel aged better than the bourbon barrel aged. I could drink this stuff all day!

12-25-2012 18:02:25 | More by Maximus_Prime
Huhzubendah

District of Columbia

4.95/5  rDev +10.5%

Growler shared by drabmuh. Hell yeah! Thanks Matt.

I don't have a Peg's glass like the other guys, but they let me have some anyhow.

The beer is dark brown with a small and fleeting beige head. The aroma brings a huge dose of bourbon, followed by some vanilla, oak, roast and chocolate. The flavor is simply fabulous. World class. Well balanced and just teeming with flavor. I am getting much more bourbon flavor than rum. Perhaps dark rum adds some molasses and dark fruit flavors. Complex, wonderful, sippable, chuggable. What can I say? A+

03-18-2012 21:51:20 | More by Huhzubendah
spdyfire83

Ireland

4.93/5  rDev +10%

228th Review
Growler to CBC taster
Enjoyed on 11 May 2012

Thanks for this RareR tasty brew Johndoe8!

A: The abyss of black. Thin layer of soft mocha bubbles for a head. Thick motor oil consistency.

S: Smells of rum, sweet caramel, dark chocolate, and vanilla. Beautiful nose and quite inviting!

T: Complex and deep. Follows nose closely, but the rum is a bit more muted. Not too sweet - the vanilla balances the dark chocolate and caramel nicely. Notes of coconut and oak add to the enjoyable complexity of this beer and everything is intertwined to perfection.

M: Full bodied with gentle carbonation. Thick and coating, but very smooth.

O: Simply put...this beer is amazing! I'll leave it at that.

06-30-2012 09:34:03 | More by spdyfire83
IrishColonial

4.9/5  rDev +9.4%

The rarest beer I will probably ever have. Thanks so much Rhett for your generosity!

A: Dark chocolate brown with minimal head. Swirls of light cream on top.

S: Smells delicious. Waves of vanilla and wood at the forefront. Subsides a bit into some dark fruits, plum, prune, raisin. Hints of blackstrap molasses throughout but not dominant. The booze melds well but smells more like bourbon than rum although some of the good sipping rum I've had from Central America smells similar. I smelled it at least 20 times before a taste but smelled more coconut and chocolate at the end. Unrivaled balance.

T: The rum comes out a better on the taste. Rich chocolate, vanilla, brown sugar. Like a rich dessert, melted brownie with a rum glaze. A bit of lactic acidity and tastes of wood provide an interesting counterpoint that is a bit different from everything else, providing almost a dry finish. Delicious.

M: This beer is the epitome of creamy. Melts in your mouth. A little sticky and dry on the finish but this is nitpicking.

O: This is one of the best beers I have ever had. Off the top of my head, GI Rare would give this a good cage match. This is a delicious treat that I enjoyed to every sip. I hope to be able to try the Rare DOS someday but if it is anything close to this, it will be an accomplishment.

03-25-2012 00:34:25 | More by IrishColonial
Rifugium

4.88/5  rDev +8.9%

First had: baby growler shared at the Mack House, Davie, FL. Thanks to Josh (toofdoc) for the generous share!

Dark black pour, thick and opaque, with a small cap of chocolate head that sank to a ringlet, leaving oily lacing on the glass. Still looks nice for being a week old. Aroma of dark malts, more sweet than roasty, chocolate, rum and vanilla, dark brown sugar. All of this translated into the taste, dark chocolate, smooth malt richness, vanilla, rum-soaked oak, caramel and a hint of butterscotch. Contrary to other reviews, I didn't really get any coconut out of this. Rich and full in body, smooth and velvety, lower carbonation, ABV seemed pretty high, I'm guessing 10+%, but as with Peg's stouts in general, there was basically no alcohol heat whatsoever. Amazing beer overall.

Honestly I don't get too much of a different effect from whiskey barrel aging and rum barrel aging in beers, especially big beers like this one, but I like both, so it's good either way. I'd like to have been able to try the Rare DOS as well, but it just wasn't to be. Maybe some other time. Hopefully.

12-30-2012 19:12:45 | More by Rifugium
Gushue3

4.8/5  rDev +7.1%

300th review of a beer I never expected to drink. Thanks a bunch to Mposha for the 16oz swingtop Growler. 19 written on the check mark next to RareR D.O.S

A Flat black pour that's pretty much opaque except for thinner areas. Pretty much no head at all which leads to no lacing.

S Big time barrel. Sweet dark fruits, vanilla, sweet not hot alcohol (Bourbon? Rum?) Smells amazing

T Sweetness from front to back but not cloying. Vanilla, burnt sugars, chocolate, integrated bourbon, coconut and a bit of heat. Each sip is great and specific flavors can be found when looking for them. Top notch stout that lives up to the hype.

M Heavy feel like a Zhukov with very little carbonation. Big chewy and viscous, im curious what the final gravity was.

O Unbelievable beer that without a doubt lives up to the hype. Without a doubt top 5 beer I've ever had regardless of scores.

12-04-2012 18:47:44 | More by Gushue3
AlexFields

Tennessee

4.78/5  rDev +6.7%

Opened at a tasting 1/26/2012. Thanks to djmichaelk for sending me this!

Pours creamy dark chocolate color, not a great deal of head but for an island of light vanilla floating in the middle.

Smell is wonderful though not incredibly powerful. Lots if sweet vanilla, caramel, chocolate, rum, very balanced and appealing.

Damn. This tastes perfect. Loads of vanilla again, caramel and chocolate and other wonderful sweet stout flavors. Not super roasty. Barrel complements perfectly but his is not really barrel forward. Insanely well balanced, all my favorite stout flavors are here.

I don't know if it's the mouthfeel or just the flavor, but I find this insanely drinkable and almost cried when the bottle was empty.

This lived up to and exceeded the hype in a big way. One of the best stouts I've ever had for sure. Not bold or outrageous but just perfect.

9.7/10

01-27-2013 21:47:43 | More by AlexFields
kif

4.78/5  rDev +6.7%

A- Black with a very small tan head. Growler is 13 days old, so not sure if there would have been a more noticeable head earlier.

S- Molasses, vanilla, caramel.

T- Sweet at first, definite brown sugar/molasses flavor. The rum comes in later on. Very complex, great flavor

M- Very smooth. Medium to full body.

O - I have not tried the normal rare dos, but this was a pretty perfect beer to me. Reminded me of some of the BCBS variants I recently had at Stout Fest. I am really happy I was able to trade for a growler of this.

03-23-2012 01:34:34 | More by kif
Reagan1984

4.78/5  rDev +6.7%

My buddy Chris gets a big thumbs up here for sending me a couple of the mini growlers.

When poured into my Smuttynose snifter a bronze colored head appears for a short visit and quickly settles to a very think ring of foam. The beer is a very glossy, almost metallic deep brown color. No lace so speak of. Just looks slick.

Very interesting aroma. Lightly sweet with some spice and some dark chocolate. A bit later I was getting some coconut which really added a nice dimension.

Chocolate is center stage here with coconut playing in the background. While I don’t think I could have spotted Rum without knowing, there is definitely a bit of the spice that comes from a Rum. So the notes are definitely there. A touch of brown sugar here along with a touch of black pepper.

Mouthfeel is really interesting here. Very smooth and while bold in body, it’s so soft. My favorite Imp Stouts all have a thicker body and this is no exception, but it has such rounded soft edges it’s great.

Really a wonderful beer. As it warms it opens into something very special.

01-03-2013 00:00:13 | More by Reagan1984
IPAIsaac

4.76/5  rDev +6.2%

RareR Dos 2014 Release

My 450th beer rating, deserves a review..

A: Jet Black, Minimal to No head. Motor Oil.
S: I get lots of chocolate, some vanilla, some fruit, some rum. Very sweet.
T: Full body, thick and almost chewy with slightly lower carbonation. Not too boozy, but at the same time the rum barrels are there! I got more rum from the taste as opposed to the smell.
F/M: Creamy goodness, yet very light
O: I was very pleased with this beer, and it lived up to my expectations and hype. I am certainly interested to see how this will age in bottles and other BA offerings from Cycle/Pegs in the future..

07-23-2014 01:43:20 | More by IPAIsaac