Peg's G.O.O.D. RareR D.O.S. - Peg's Cantina & Brew Pub

Peg's G.O.O.D. RareR D.O.S.Peg's G.O.O.D. RareR D.O.S.

Peg's Cantina & Brew Pub visit their website
Florida, United States

American Double / Imperial Stout |  10.00% ABV

Beer added by: MasterSki on 03-09-2012

4.19/5  rDev -6.5%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

500 ml growler poured into a tasting glass

Pitch black with almost no head.
Aroma is rich and complex with rum, vanilla, fruits, coconut, roasted malt, oak, spices and slight chocolate.
Taste is moderately sweet with vanilla, fruits, oak, cacao, spices and acidic notes , light bitternes
Full body. Low carbonation.
Good Imperial Stout, but not a top-50 beers in my opinion. (380 characters)

4.22/5  rDev -5.8%

Happy new years!

Huge thanks to jefe for this one. Got this one today and opened immediately since its a growler. I've heard these guys hold up but why wait right? Part of my new years resolution was drink better beer haha.

500ml growler into 2 eclipse snifters

A- looked exactly how I expected, huge and dark with a very small head. Deep dark brown. Light brown ring around the glass.

S- smell is huge, the rum comes out all over and suites the stout perfectly. Chocolate covered raisin! Some fudge. As it warms the rum becomes huge!

T- huge chocolate upfront, rum raisins. Stout works together perfectly with the rum. Rum becomes huge as it warms. This is one of the best run treatments I've had to date. If your a fan of rum you'll be a big fan of this one.

M- mouthfeel is a lot thinner than I was expecting, but still a bit of heft. Nowhere near like the other Florida brewer.

O- this is a very good beer, it's done very well. I do feel this ones reputations precedes itself, but of you get the chance take it. Maybe its making it more concrete that I'm a whiskey bourbon fellow rather than a rum guy. I can see the bourbon beong off the scale! I never thought I'd get to try it, thanks again Jeff for the hook up! (1,228 characters)

4.92/5  rDev +9.8%

Pitch black with a thinly carbonated mahoganey head. Sweet rum is the highlight of the nose, though not overpowering. Big and chewy, oak, vanilla, the rum brings out a coconut sweetness. Amazing stout. (201 characters)

4.48/5  rDev 0%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

Nice beer, but I prefer CW16 and CW17. Similar flavor profile to CW brews even though this is rum barrel aged. I was hoping for thicker, richer, better. Still a great beer, but not what I had hoped for. (204 characters)

4.24/5  rDev -5.4%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

500mL growler thanks to Matt!

A: Thin mocha head with a thick oily black body. Legs from a supermodel.

N: Licorice, burnt wood, raisin, lots of rum and vanilla. Tons of chocolate. Very spicy with lots of sweet cherry notes. A touch of ethanol.

T: Very, very well balanced. Lots of vanilla sweetness with a decent hop bitterness and some charred wood to round it out.

M: Oily and thick. Minor levels of carbonation keep this off the tongue enough so that it remains drinkable.

O: Thoroughly balanced and very enjoyable. It’s composed and well-blended together. Would definitely have this again. (605 characters)

4.47/5  rDev -0.2%

Generously shared by JohnDoe8 in Copenhagen, thanks alot!

A: Pitch black with a brown/beige head and some small lacing.

S: Caramel, Rum, Chocolate, Vanilla and molasses. Smells truly wonderful!

T: Coffee, Chocolate, Vanilla, Rum, Roasted bread and Butterscotch.

M: Supersmooth and perfectly balanced with just enough carbonation. Dangerously drinkable.

One of the very best stouts i've yet to try. So perfectly balanced. I need more of this... (448 characters)

3.1/5  rDev -30.8%
look: 3 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3.25

There is no way this is a 100/100 world class beer. I must have an infected bottle. Tons of booze, dark fruit, mild sourness, chocolate and a candy flavor. Very poor quality control. I kept this review short, but I am very disappointed since I gave up world class beers in a trade to get this. (293 characters)

4.45/5  rDev -0.7%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.75

Thanks Dan, awesome share. 10 oz. from a growler into a snifter on March 8th, 2013.

A - Not hugely black but definitely a thick, deep rosewood. Very soft whips of carbonation atop, but no true head. No lacing but leaves a tan residual film. Plentiful alcohol legs.

S - Rum spirit, freshly charred oak, sherry, honey cake, raisiny biscuit, and light cocoa. No alcohol whatsoever.

T - Front palate immediately shows the rum character, which blends well into roasted almond, huge alcohol-soaked fig, stone fruits, and plentiful oak tannic bitterness.

M - Lighter body than it looks, very low but appropriate carbonation, very dry finish. Slight ethanol warming.

D - I suspect I'd prefer the bourbon version, but this is easily the finest rum treatment I've come across and the flavors are executed with obvious purpose. (821 characters)

4.92/5  rDev +9.8%

228th Review
Growler to CBC taster
Enjoyed on 11 May 2012

Thanks for this RareR tasty brew Johndoe8!

A: The abyss of black. Thin layer of soft mocha bubbles for a head. Thick motor oil consistency.

S: Smells of rum, sweet caramel, dark chocolate, and vanilla. Beautiful nose and quite inviting!

T: Complex and deep. Follows nose closely, but the rum is a bit more muted. Not too sweet - the vanilla balances the dark chocolate and caramel nicely. Notes of coconut and oak add to the enjoyable complexity of this beer and everything is intertwined to perfection.

M: Full bodied with gentle carbonation. Thick and coating, but very smooth.

O: Simply put...this beer is amazing! I'll leave it at that. (705 characters)

4.61/5  rDev +2.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.5

Bottle poured into snifter glass.

A: Pours black, thick and creamy, with a finger of khaki head that reduces slowly and leaves no lacing. There's a nice collar in the glass throughout.
S: Strong chocolate notes up front, with huge wafting rum aromas along the way. I get quite a bit of vanilla that lingers on the back end.
T: Chocolate, vanilla, only a slight amount of roast, and a hint of rum that hangs on with every sip. But mostly chocolate. It's almost like drinking a creamy dark chocolate milk that has some vanilla bean ice cream melted into it.
M: Rich, thick, creamy. Carbed well, leaves a sweet smooth after taste.
O: This is a very well crafted beer, I can't believe how dominant the chocolate comes across. Glad I got a chance to try this one, the rum barrel aging was a great treatment. (808 characters)

4.73/5  rDev +5.6%
look: 4 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.75

16 oz growler from the 12/21/12 release. Big thanks to Alex for sending this my way. A big want of mine for a long time.

A- Pours a opaque black with a thin mocha head that stays around, though leaving no lacing behind. A really nice looking beer regardless.

S- Freshly baked fudge brownies, sweetened and fresh coconut, vanilla beans, toffee, rum, peppery spice, and dark fruit with black cherries and plum.

T- Waves of chocolate throughout with fudge, brownie batter, and dark chocolate. Coconut, toffee, roasted malt, vanilla, rum soaked fruit and spice cake are also present.

M- Light carbonation with a rich, syrupy body. One of the best mouth-feels I've had with a stout. Perfect.

O- A rich and dense beer with incredible complexity and flavor. Plenty of chocolate sweetness, but never cloying. Simply put, not only one of the best stouts I've had, but one of the best beers I've had period. (906 characters)

4.62/5  rDev +3.1%

Poured from 16.9 oz. growler into Cycle Brewing snifter. Purchased from the release on 12-21-2012. Transported in my rooftop carrier from Gulfport FL to sandy shores of Lake Superior, Eagle Harbor MI to be exact.

A: Pours a jet black with a thin brown head, that stays very persistent for quite some time along the edge of the glass. It kept it's carb very well over the last 8 days in the growler. I half expected it to be flat. As we drink, we notice a fantastic lacing that remains on the sides of the glass. Just beautiful.

N: The nose really shines with this beer. Absolutely amazing. Notes of chocolate, sweet milk, toffee, and a very understated vanilla notes. The sweet sugar cane rum aroma rises as this liquid gold warms.

T: Beautiful, beautiful, beautiful. The palate has more roast notes than the nose would indicate. Very well melded flavors of chocolate, brown sugar/rum, some mild vanilla, dark roast notes. Excellent and very unique toasted coconut and beautiful rum profile.

M: The mouthfeel is what really brings this stout to the next level. It's so silky, I'm super impressed. It's got a very thick feeling, but the carbonation is surprising, and supports that thick feeling well.

Drink and Overall: This beer really lives up to the hype. It's an amazing stout, and after having Rare DOS on tap as well, I believe the two are pretty close to one another in terms of quality. Awesome beer. (1,416 characters)

4.69/5  rDev +4.7%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Wow, absolutely fantastic. The rum barrel blends with the base imperial stout giving off great coco and vanilla flavors. Best beer I have tried this year! (156 characters)

4.41/5  rDev -1.6%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.25

Thanks for sharing Thomas Poured thick like motor oil, with a smell and taste that was reminiscent of Apple brandy huna. Subtle vanilla and booz with great barrel aging characteristics. I didn’t pick up the rum, but def caught the booze. I felt like I needed to keep wiping my teeth when in discussion to avoid looking like a sunk them into liquid brownies (358 characters)

4.29/5  rDev -4.2%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

Had along side BA Café Americano and Pirate Bomb - little rum-taste-off. This had the best rum imparted flavors of the 3.

Pours very dark, near pitch black oil with a burnt mocha head. Aroma is dominated by rich rum, coconut, booze, some oak and dark chocolate, little hit of a darker fruit as well. Very smooth, the rum flavors are very intense, but everything is a little thin.

Very nice rum aged stout. (411 characters)

4.5/5  rDev +0.4%

A:midnight black, light tan head very little head on it, little carbonation, little lacing
S:rich dark bakers chocolate, light coffee, toffee, caramel, light brown sugar, vanilla, toasted coconut
T: bitter dark chocolate, roasted coffee, toasted coconut, toffee, caramel, vanilla, wood, slight rum background, slight alcohol heat

M: thick, chewy, viscous, syrupy like consistency

O: a really great barrel aged offering, could use a little more rum in the taste but a melange of delicious flavor are in here (509 characters)

4.62/5  rDev +3.1%
look: 5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

Thanks to Hunter for the trade on this! Popped open a 500ml growler dated 12-21-12 on 01/11/13.

A: Growler was filled up to the very top of the swing-top. Had a small hiss when I opened it...nice. Pours a deep black with very light and quickly fading carbonation. Thick, I was super exicted when I poured this beer...

S: Smell was slightly better than the taste, but as soon as I opened the bottle and even moreso when I poured the beer, strong notes of sweet rum, choc, syrup...all those great dark notes...smelled really complex and nice....even more exicted!

T: First taste...wow!, really smooth, surprisingly no taste of any alcohol, only nice flavors with a mild sweetness....rum, molasses, maybe some figs (i don't want to get to crazy here...It was really good,,,lets just say that!) . I did not rate this a 5 because the flavors did not linger and faded a bit more quickly than I expected. Don't get me wrong, it is awesome!

M: Nice, not overpowering and super-syrupy...very very drinkable!

O: Really, really good. Lots of flavors and tastes! (1,056 characters)

4.6/5  rDev +2.7%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.75

Thanks to Dan for this. 500ml swing top out of my CBS snifter.

A- Pours a very deep black, and has a fairly thick appearance. A healthy mocha color head appears, and reduces to a light ring of foam around the ring of the glass. A little swirl leaves a nice spotty lacing around the glass.

S- A ton of roasted malt and dark fruits. A bit of boozy oakiness, but somewhat hard to distinguish the exact alcohol type from the nose alone.

T- Very smooth and creamy, transitions to lots of dark fruity notes and rum. It is rich and a bit sweet, but almost has a tartness about it(perhaps from the rum). The flavors work together extremely well though, and the base beer is big enough to stand up to the strength of the barrel.

M- Very nice. Thick and heavy, without being overboard. The carbonation was spot on too, especially from a swing top that is a few weeks old now.

O- I was very excited to try this beer, and I have to say it met my expectations. I'd be curious to try the bourbon, as I think it would be more up my alley. The rum comes of a bit harsh at times, but is still very delicious. This beer has depth, and I'd gladly drink more of these. Could only imagine it is even better on tap. (1,199 characters)

4.75/5  rDev +6%

A- Black with a very small tan head. Growler is 13 days old, so not sure if there would have been a more noticeable head earlier.

S- Molasses, vanilla, caramel.

T- Sweet at first, definite brown sugar/molasses flavor. The rum comes in later on. Very complex, great flavor

M- Very smooth. Medium to full body.

O - I have not tried the normal rare dos, but this was a pretty perfect beer to me. Reminded me of some of the BCBS variants I recently had at Stout Fest. I am really happy I was able to trade for a growler of this. (528 characters)

4.67/5  rDev +4.2%

Growler #11 split two ways.
Deep dark brown with ruby highlights around the edge, thin milk chocolate head. Smells of molasses, burnt brown sugar, chocolate, spiced dark rum, and wood. Taste is more of the same, not as sweet as a most whiskey barrel aged beers. It has a little more spice lent from the rum barrel and a nice fudgy chocolate taste. Mouthfeel is chewy, with light carbonation and an excellent finish. This was a great beer, and I really wish more people would age their beers in rum barrels! I can't wait for the chance to try Rare DOS as well. (560 characters)

4.69/5  rDev +4.7%

Had a few sips of this at CBC shared by a very generous guy from California (JohnDoe8?). Thanks a lot!

A : Pitch black with almost no head

S: Rum, oak, vanilla. Very deep, very strong, amazing!

T: Rum, chocolate, molasses, caramel malts on the finish, sweet. Flavorful, complex, nice.

M: Sweet, a bit oily, smooth, very enjoyable.

O: A great great beer. Deep, strong, oaky, the perfect Imperial Stout! Had too few of this for my taste! Hopefully, on another lucky day... Thx again! (486 characters)

4.54/5  rDev +1.3%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

Flip-top growler from the official release thanks to burg326. Wow- so excited to try this. Inky black pour. Weaker mocha head. Nose is vanilla, hazelnut, praline, waxy dark chocolate, malted milk balls, cocoa powder. Taste is excellent, woah, so much praline, amaretto, toasted almond, brownie, hazelnut/Nutella, dark cherry, malted milk balls. Palate is lighter, easy to drink, a tad thin and lemony. But overall the experience is sublime and really amazing. Definitely worth it. (480 characters)

4.75/5  rDev +6%

Love this beer.

I specially like that this is more like drinking syrup, rather than having a beer. Pours a really dark beer. Forms a nice head. Smells like coffee, and roasts. Taste is nice and smooth, dark and bitter yet not like a stout. This beer is like a syrup. High alcohol content will knock you out soon. It will also fill you quickly. (344 characters)

4.76/5  rDev +6.2%
look: 5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 5

Cracking this because its snowing in the middle of April.

500ml growler dated 12-21-2012 into a Central Waters snifter.

A- Pours slick rich black with a minimal tan head that's fades quick to only line the glass with a few waves of tan swirling about.

S- deep rich booze of chocolates and sweets. Just a hit on toasted marshmallow and sugar.

T- chocolate frosting, bits of dry cocoa, and a sweet marshmallow boozy finish.

M- light and thin medium type body. This beer coats your tongue and won't let go. Syrupy sticky finish with a touch of boozey heat.

O- I though this was an outstanding stout. Really close to one of my most recent favorites 2012 Black Tuesday. I like the balance of this beer and all the flavors that are constantly bouncing around. Wish it was as easy to acquire as Black Tuesday or some other huge stouts I've had lately. (853 characters)

4.57/5  rDev +2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.75

I had the pleasure of tasting this beer on tap at Mikkeller Bar in San Francisco. They do a fantastic job at this bar of serving their beers at optimal temperature. I am confident that I had this beer at its very best thanks to Mikkeller

A - A near-black brown color followed by a thin line of medium-brown as a bed for a thick tan and fluffy head.

S - Light light coffee with sugar, nuts and an unmistakable scent of rum. Blackberries and slightly woody. Inoffensive, and easy to smell without any sting.

T - Hershey's chocolate syrup was the first thing I noticed. The fruit and rum come out around the sides of my tongue while mocha, vanilla, roasted nuts, and spiced wood run over the top. Just fantastic finish. A little more rum in the after taste, but not overpowering - just enough to remind you of what you just tasted

M - Surprisingly light on the tongue and throat. I hear others saying thick and chewy, but I would say it is in the middle somewhere. Very easy to drink, I could drink it fast, so I force myself to enjoy it over time.

O - If this is the only beer I could ever drink for the rest of my life, I would be okay with that. Just fantastic. If I saw this was tap again, I would go out of my way to make a trip to the pub. World class - easily a top-3 for me. Jeez, this is good stuff. (1,310 characters)

Peg's G.O.O.D. RareR D.O.S. from Peg's Cantina & Brew Pub