Cellar Door - Stillwater Artisanal Ales

Maryland, United States

Saison / Farmhouse Ale |  6.60% ABV

Availability: Summer

Beer added by: John_M on 05-22-2010

Over the ages the term ’cellar door’ has numerously been referred to as the most beautiful term in the English language. Upon setting out to create the first summer addition to the Stateside line up of ales; the feeling that almost instantly came to me was that of beauty & cleansing. Many summer offerings tend to lack the complexity of their bigger, colder season counterparts; so my goal was to craft an ale of extreme balance with a delicate complexity that allows for contemplation while also providing quaffable refreshment. Starting with a base of German wheat & pale malts this crisp slightly hazy foundation was then accented with a blend of Sterling & Citra hops providing a intricate blend of herbal grass & tangerine citrus flavors and aroma. To pull this all together and to complete the ’cleansing’ aspect of my vision I gently finished the ale off with a touch of white sage, lending a mild earthy spice character to the blend. Of course let’s not forget our house saison yeast that brought all the elements together leaving a dry yet intricate finish.
3.63/5  rDev -9.9%

"Cellar Door", …at least that's what I think it says…Stillwater Artisanal, American Farmhouse Ale. Wheat Ale brewed with white sage. 1 pint, 9.4 fluid ounces. 6.6% ABV. Brewed and bottled by Dog Brewing Company, Westminster, Maryland.

I've been looking at this one sitting in my DBF (dedicated beer fridge) for months now, and it's time to take it down.

Clear and golden, beautiful white head, looks inviting. Active carbonation, rising up from the bottom.

Gorgeous aromatics, lovely light spice, delicate and flowery, ooo, la la.

Tasting it: light bodied, smooth, zesty. Wheaty mouthfeel, flush with citric feel, and jazzed up with spice. Sweet and malty, with just a bit of bitter. In the saison style, with a spicy twist.

Let's just look at their words on this one. I'll have to cock my head sideways for this: "Starting with a base of GErman wheat and pale malts, this crisp slightly hazy foundation was then accented with a blend of Sterling & Citra hops that provide notes of herbal grass & tangerine citrus. To pull this all together and to complete the "cleansing" aspect of my vision, I gently finished the ale off with a touch of white sage, lending a mild earthy spice character to the blend."

What is the "cleansing aspect" of his vision? That's so many words. I guess I don't mind keeping my notes short and simple, once in a while. It's good and lovely and drinks like a dream.

Go, beer!

4.1/5  rDev +1.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4

Had on tap at Max's, described as a Witbier with sage on the beer list, interesting to see it as a saison on here. Regardless, this was a damn refreshing wit and the sage added a nice spiciness to it on the back end. Full flavored and refreshing, it's a great twist to the style that works very well.

4.08/5  rDev +1.2%

A - Very bright yellow-orange, with a decent amount of snow-white head which subsides quickly to a thin ring around the edge. That little ring manages to leave a bit of nice lacing, though.

S - Juicy citrus, maybe a touch of funk and a shadow of biscuity malt. I prefer my saisons on the tarter side, which this definitely isn't, but it still smells good.

T - Orange and sweet pineapple, with more tart bite than in the aroma (I think the high carbonation lends a hand, too). This is still on the sweet side of the saison spectrum, but who cares about that when it's just plain delicious.

M - A bit thick for a saison (not that I'll hold that against it), with ample bubbles. It works nicely.

Overall, I'm impressed. I think this is my first from Stillwater, and they've definitely earned a spot on my "buy it when I see it" list.

3.65/5  rDev -9.4%

Half inch white head On a murky golden body. Collar left

Wheaty smell with a hint of lemon zest

Bright citrus. Hops show as it warms. Sage for sure. Would guess around 7.5%abv

I know saisons are carbonated but damn. Medium mouthfeel.

Different. Over carbonated for sure. Don't think I could finish a whole bomber between the carbonation and sage presence.

3.75/5  rDev -6.9%

4.75/5  rDev +17.9%

4.35/5  rDev +7.9%

750ml bottle, capped w/ shrink capsule.

Immediately has a Dupont-esk funk to the smell. Pours quite hazy straw color, most likely chill-haze as it looked nice and clear in the bottle. Pretty raging carbonation, almost opaque with bubble concentration. Massive off-white head that keeps growing and hold amazingly well. Patches of poofy foam lace the glass.

Taste of cirtus and barn/hay funk from yeast. Solid Pilsen grain flavor to the body. Pleasant spice in the aftertaste. At first the acidity from carbonation was slightly off-putting, but after sitting in the glass for a couple of minutes, I find it far more palatable. Mouthfeel is dry, crisp and refreshing. ABV is absent in flavor, very well hidden.

Overall very impressive. One of the most carbonated beers I've ever had, surprised it didn't gush...

Cellar Door from Stillwater Artisanal Ales