Cellar Door - Stillwater Artisanal Ales

Maryland, United States

Saison / Farmhouse Ale |  6.60% ABV

Availability: Summer

Beer added by: John_M on 05-22-2010

Over the ages the term ’cellar door’ has numerously been referred to as the most beautiful term in the English language. Upon setting out to create the first summer addition to the Stateside line up of ales; the feeling that almost instantly came to me was that of beauty & cleansing. Many summer offerings tend to lack the complexity of their bigger, colder season counterparts; so my goal was to craft an ale of extreme balance with a delicate complexity that allows for contemplation while also providing quaffable refreshment. Starting with a base of German wheat & pale malts this crisp slightly hazy foundation was then accented with a blend of Sterling & Citra hops providing a intricate blend of herbal grass & tangerine citrus flavors and aroma. To pull this all together and to complete the ’cleansing’ aspect of my vision I gently finished the ale off with a touch of white sage, lending a mild earthy spice character to the blend. Of course let’s not forget our house saison yeast that brought all the elements together leaving a dry yet intricate finish.

3.5/5  rDev -13.2%

3.75/5  rDev -6.9%

4.32/5  rDev +7.2%

Really crisp and refreshingly herbal with a substantial body and long delicious finish.

Nose is slightly funky with orange, citrus and fresh cut straw. Flavors are similar with an added green apple finish. I would recommend this for someone trying a herbal beer for the first time. Very nice indeed.

3.85/5  rDev -4.5%

Another interesting saison from Stillwater. Very sage and farmhouse. white pepper, celery, Sterling and citra hops and tamed so both bold and smooth.Caramel and mild orange and tangerine. Good drinker for the summer.
Big head on light yellow body. John' bottle.
I had it again 10 months later and hits the spot, good spice, coriander.

3.5/5  rDev -13.2%

3.81/5  rDev -5.5%

A: Golden blonde, lovely foam, good stuff.

S: Sweet, like melon, with just a hint of bourbon (not the booziness, only the sweet/sour tang) in the background.

T: Tart, almost sour. There is a strong focus on sage. The taste doesn't linger. It's refreshing and unique... but not particularly balanced.

M: This is where the bottle fell short for me. It had a watery mouthfeel, with neither the bite of carbonation, nor a smooth creaminess, either of which suit a farmhouse brew well.

O: While the notes above might sound critical, I really enjoyed this beer quite a bit. If you haven't tried it you absolutely should. I can certainly say it has a unique flavor. I wish that it hadn't advertised itself as "brewed with sage" on it's label, as I might have been guessing for a bit what the taste was but, anticipating it, was sort of knocked over by how singularly focused the spicing was. There is just a hint of vinegar to it, which, along with it's sweet/sour flavor, tastes to me like an extremely mild sour ale.

It's not what I typically look for in a saison, but is really interesting, tasty, and not easily forgettable.

4.53/5  rDev +12.4%

Pours golden with 3+ fingers of ivory colored head. Murks up a bit as this finishes, very good head retention & average lacing

S: Grassy with orange peel, some white pepper & wheat tartness/breadyness as this warms

T: Lemons, white pepper, tangerine, with grassyness up front, along with a touch of tart wheat. Ruby red grapefruit, grassyness as this warms. Finshes tart with white pepper, & lemon grass

MF: Light bodied, lively carbonation

This drank too easy, love the citra hops in this, puts a nice American spin on this style, easily one of the best beers I've had in a while

3.63/5  rDev -9.9%

"Cellar Door", …at least that's what I think it says…Stillwater Artisanal, American Farmhouse Ale. Wheat Ale brewed with white sage. 1 pint, 9.4 fluid ounces. 6.6% ABV. Brewed and bottled by Dog Brewing Company, Westminster, Maryland.

I've been looking at this one sitting in my DBF (dedicated beer fridge) for months now, and it's time to take it down.

Clear and golden, beautiful white head, looks inviting. Active carbonation, rising up from the bottom.

Gorgeous aromatics, lovely light spice, delicate and flowery, ooo, la la.

Tasting it: light bodied, smooth, zesty. Wheaty mouthfeel, flush with citric feel, and jazzed up with spice. Sweet and malty, with just a bit of bitter. In the saison style, with a spicy twist.

Let's just look at their words on this one. I'll have to cock my head sideways for this: "Starting with a base of GErman wheat and pale malts, this crisp slightly hazy foundation was then accented with a blend of Sterling & Citra hops that provide notes of herbal grass & tangerine citrus. To pull this all together and to complete the "cleansing" aspect of my vision, I gently finished the ale off with a touch of white sage, lending a mild earthy spice character to the blend."

What is the "cleansing aspect" of his vision? That's so many words. I guess I don't mind keeping my notes short and simple, once in a while. It's good and lovely and drinks like a dream.

Go, beer!

4.1/5  rDev +1.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4

Had on tap at Max's, described as a Witbier with sage on the beer list, interesting to see it as a saison on here. Regardless, this was a damn refreshing wit and the sage added a nice spiciness to it on the back end. Full flavored and refreshing, it's a great twist to the style that works very well.

4.08/5  rDev +1.2%

A - Very bright yellow-orange, with a decent amount of snow-white head which subsides quickly to a thin ring around the edge. That little ring manages to leave a bit of nice lacing, though.

S - Juicy citrus, maybe a touch of funk and a shadow of biscuity malt. I prefer my saisons on the tarter side, which this definitely isn't, but it still smells good.

T - Orange and sweet pineapple, with more tart bite than in the aroma (I think the high carbonation lends a hand, too). This is still on the sweet side of the saison spectrum, but who cares about that when it's just plain delicious.

M - A bit thick for a saison (not that I'll hold that against it), with ample bubbles. It works nicely.

Overall, I'm impressed. I think this is my first from Stillwater, and they've definitely earned a spot on my "buy it when I see it" list.

3.65/5  rDev -9.4%

Half inch white head On a murky golden body. Collar left

Wheaty smell with a hint of lemon zest

Bright citrus. Hops show as it warms. Sage for sure. Would guess around 7.5%abv

I know saisons are carbonated but damn. Medium mouthfeel.

Different. Over carbonated for sure. Don't think I could finish a whole bomber between the carbonation and sage presence.

3.75/5  rDev -6.9%