Of Love & Regret (Import Series Vol. 1) - Stillwater Artisanal Ales

Of Love & Regret (Import Series Vol. 1)Of Love & Regret (Import Series Vol. 1)

Stillwater Artisanal Ales visit their website
Maryland, United States

Herbed / Spiced Beer |  7.20% ABV

For the first edition of the Stillwater Import Series I traveled to the village of Beerzel, located in the Antwerp province of Belgium. Here I teamed up with brewmaster Jef Goetelen to craft an authentic Belgian version of my liquid interpretation of the Spring season. A recipe originally contrived a few years prior as a collaboration brew with my good friend Paul Kretzer. The base is German barley & wheat, with a touch of Belgian aromatic; accented with grassy hops and an array of spring botanicals (heather, chamomile, lavender, & dandelion). Like a fresh meadow in spring.

(Beer added by: yourefragile on 08-06-2010)
View: Beers (62) |  Events
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Raters
chrispoint

02-18-2012 17:10:54 | More by chrispoint
DrinkSlurm

1.7/5  rDev -55.5%

Had on tap at the Double Windsor, Brooklyn, NY. Poured into Chimay Chalice.
Pours a brownish-red with a bit of head.
Smells of flowers...mostly rose, and sweet malts. Very fragrant, almost like a perfume..not good.
Taste is mostly of rose, floral, malty...its not good at all. Bitter in the mouth...not pleasant at all. If I didnt pay $9 for it, and there was a drain next to me, I would have dumped it. This may be one of the worst beers I ever had. As the name suggests, you will Regret it.

01-01-2012 19:01:44 | More by DrinkSlurm

06-30-2013 23:26:59 | More by Huhzubendah
dciBA

Maine

2.55/5  rDev -33.2%

Awesome label. Creative and well done. On to the beer itself...

Poured from the bottle into an oversized tulip. Color is medium amber with a small amount of off white head. Some lacing as the level drops in my glass.

Smell is very strong but very off putting in my opinion. Lots of lavender. Very floral, but not from any hops, more like sticking your nose in a freshly bloomed flower, or a yankee candle. There's a little bready malt in the nose keeping the score from dropping too low.

Taste is not nearly as strong as the smell. Lavender still dominates everything. Very floral still, but a nice herbal flavor works it's way in saving the flavor. This beer did not agree with my palate at all. None of the classic saison flavors I've come to enjoy.

Mouthfeel is thin and finish is bone dry. This is easily the best part of the beer. Flavor does not linger on the palate at all, thank god. I was excited to try Stillwater as they've just become available in my area. This one was a complete miss though. I'll give them another shot for sure, just hoping the next is a little more subtle flavored.

04-13-2011 00:36:40 | More by dciBA
alysmith4

District of Columbia

2.58/5  rDev -32.5%

Strange, strange beer. Not bad, just not something like I'd normally go for. There was an odd spiciness to it, and I finally figured out what it was towards the end: tamarind! This isn't something that I'd like in my beer (or my food, for that matter), and I found that it really distracted me from the beer.

08-16-2012 19:22:53 | More by alysmith4
clickpush

2.63/5  rDev -31.2%

Pour is 11.2oz bottle to tulip. Darker in color than I expect, almost copper rather than the straw gold I thought I'd see. Head is huge, four finger head even with a gingerly pour. Big, foamy, and loud. Holds up for a while and leaves sticky lace the whole way down. Body is full of bubbly bubbly bubbles.

Nose is herbaceous and soapy. Citrus and floral notes meet lemon/lime dish soap.

Mouth is light & dry. Flavor is similar to nose. Finish leaves a lingering unwanted soapy note. There's just something unlovable about this beer: it misses the farmy notes of a saison and includes flavors that just make this beer unpleasant.

04-28-2011 02:39:24 | More by clickpush
ShogoKawada

Rhode Island

2.68/5  rDev -29.8%

11.2oz into pint glass. Got this from the Birthday BIF, thanks!!

Bottle says saison, BA says spiced beer. WTF guys, it's listed on the bottle.

A- Beer has a nice yellow dandelion glow t it, big white seafoam head that has some time to kill. Lingers forever... takes a while to get a full glass.

S- The yeast jumps right out at you on first sniff. Lots of clove, honey, and fresh green growth.

T- Lots of floral, perfumey, and bubblegum yeast notes. Pretty intense, and a bit too much. Really lingers, hard to get past. Bitterness lurks in the background but is a nice contrast.

M- Too intense of a perfume flavor leaves a strange feeling on the tongue. Ample body, but nothing special.

O- Eh, too much of a floral yeasty sweetness that really wears out the tongue. I didn't finish it, so I can't give it high marks here.

EDIT- I didn't know this actually had flowers in it, I thought it was a weird yeast. Makes sense now, although score still stands.

08-08-2011 00:27:15 | More by ShogoKawada
DefenCorps

Oregon

2.88/5  rDev -24.6%

I was pretty excited to find this, given that I really really like the Stateside Saison. This one was brewed at 't Hofbrouwerijke.

Pouring unusually dark for a saison, this is orange/amber with a dense, bubbly head, off-white in color and with great retention. Spotty lacing is present as well. The nose is intensely herbaceous. Very green, there's a lot of grassy herb character, along with a blend of lavender and rosemary. This would smell rather great in (and with) food, but as a standalone beer, I'm not sold. A little crystallized ginger, a definite yeasty phenol character, and a light candy sweetness round out the nose. Unconventional, but rather well done.
The palate opens very crisp and highly carbonated with an almost seltzer-like feel with a definite carbonic acid character. Then, the flavors of chamomile and lavender come through, along with some pepper, and some rosemary (again). This is just too herbal for my liking. Hop character is low, I don't get much on the palate by way of flavor, though a little bitterness is detectable. Again, this is just an incredibly herbed beer, too much IMO. Some sweetness, candy-like, is present mid-palate, but this is medium-light in body. Carbonation is high, and the finish is very dry and quite herbal, again with the mild seltzer water/carbonic acid quality.

If you thought the Stone/Victory/DFH Saison Du BUFF was over-herbed, you should stay away. OTOH, if you liked that, there's a good chance you'll love this.

09-01-2010 03:07:57 | More by DefenCorps
NumberNone

2.93/5  rDev -23.3%

From May 2012 tasting notes.

11.2 oz btl poured into a Dogfish Head signature glass

A: Pours a light brackish brown. Thick off-white bubbly head that keeps. Good lacing and carbonation. Lots of particles floating around.

S: Strong earthy-type smell, some hops, lemon, herbs and spices, yeast.

T: Lemony, with a touch of spices and other citrus flavors. Light tasting with earthiness. Yeast. As I got closer to the end, yeasty sediment took over and it became harder to drink.

M: Grainy, can feel the particles on the tongue. Slightly thinner than expected.

O: When I opened the bottle, it pretty much exploded, something I wasn't prepared for. It's definitely an interesting earthy-type beer, though as I continued drinking it, I liked it less and less. Perhaps I poured it a bit too vigorously and allowed too much of the sediment to get into my glass. Perhaps I picked up a bottle that had gone bad (I couldn't find a date on it). Perhaps my palate's not ready for this one. Anyway, I wasn't too fond of it, but I'd be willing to give it another go in the future.

09-26-2012 10:55:48 | More by NumberNone
womencantsail

2.95/5  rDev -22.8%

Thank you to Michael for sending me this one.

A: The pour is a fairly dark orange color with some golden influence and a big white head.

S: An incredibly intense herbal and floral aroma. Lots of rose and hibiscus in the floral department with a bit of a rosemary, sage, chamomile, and ginger, perhaps, and plenty of green peppercorns. Not really my thing.

T: The flavor is, thankfully, less pungent in terms of the herbs than the nose. The hibiscus and rose character is still pretty dominant, but actually somewhat enjoyable. Quite a bit of yeast and a slight funk, along with some sweet malt and candi sugar and hints of citrus.

M: The body is fairly full for a saison with a nice, lively carbonation.

D: The nose was just far too much for me. The flavor was an improvement, but not really my style.

09-13-2010 02:21:05 | More by womencantsail
BigMike

Pours darker than any saison I've encountered to date. Golden orange. Slightly hazy with a thin eggshell colored head.
Very floral and grassy. Lots of herbal notes. Tarragon, sage, rosemary. Some pepper and lemon notes too.
Alot of the spiciness doesn't come through in the flavor. It's very light and grassy. The herbs are there. Very strong amounts of sage. A little bit of tanginess.
Mouthfeel isn't as light and crisp as I'm used to from a saison. It's a little heavy for the style. Not enough carbonation IMO.
For some reason I expected more from this beer. A little too herbal and under carbonated for my liking. Not one I'd get again.

09-08-2010 00:38:49 | More by BigMike
Kpitevl

Missouri

12-24-2012 04:00:55 | More by Kpitevl
mactrail

Washington

3.13/5  rDev -18.1%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.25

The first sip is an eye-opener. Makes me long for a lovely, simple yeasty Farmhouse beer instead of this over-spiced pretentious concoction. It's exactly what you would expect from Dogfish Head.

The chamomile is overwhelming. I am coming to the opinion that there is just no safe level of chamomile. Not to mention the lavender. The smell is like something you'd find in your wife's underwear drawer. Taste is seriously resiny, flowery, perfumey, and overly herbal. Honey from the rosemary farm.

From the 750 ml swing top bought at Bine and Vine in San Diego for an extortionate $17.99. And then I read the fine print: "Product of Belgium."

01-20-2013 03:39:33 | More by mactrail
Bendurgin

Maine

3.13/5  rDev -18.1%

Poured into a tulip. Pours a clear golden color with a giant head that fades away very quickly to a thin layer of foam. Lots of sticky bubbles on the side of the glass.

Floral yeast aromas come of strong with some hints of white pepper and spice. A little bit of a citrus aroma to the background. The flavor is a bit doughy/yeasty with some spice in the middle. Very strange aftertaste, almost seems a bit musty.

The body is light and the carbonation is a bit too much. Overall this one isn't anything special. I'll drink it, but I don't need more at all.

11-30-2011 04:22:04 | More by Bendurgin
hwwty4

Missouri

3.15/5  rDev -17.5%

Big thanks to yourefragile for this one.

Remnants of my massive Saison tasting I had last weekend. It's always nice when you have so much beer left over that you can sit down and review the leftovers during the next week. Poured a 11.2oz skinny into my Dogfish Head snifter. This beer pours a color that I can only explain as this. It's the color of a orange that has been sitting in your fridge for about a month. When its taken on that bruised, darkish brown orange but hasn't started growing penicillin yet. A nice 2 inch white cap leaves behind some sticky lacing down the sides of the glass. HOLY SHIT! This is the most intensely aroma'd beer I have ever had the pleasure/displeasure of placing under my nose. Jesus. Its like Sage had a threesome with Lavender and Rosemary and because they were such sluts, Green peppercorn decided to come in and tag team. Jesus. This aroma is intense. INTENSE. Herbal and flora and spicy. I cant tell you if its absolutely fantastic or the most overwhelming thing I have ever smelled mixed with alcohol. The flavor is a massive blast of Lavender. Like sucking on fresh flower petals. Its herbality is toned down buts still, sage and rosemary lay a bit of a smack down. Just a little dried parsley too. The mouthfeel has that great dryness that every excellent saison should have but encapsulates this flavor that I'm just not sure on. Really, I just don't know if I should love this beer or hate it. I feel like I really need about 1/2 a case more to really decide but since I only have the 1 bottle, I have to review off of that. So it comes to that. I either hate it or love it, and I really cant decide which.

10-06-2010 02:59:07 | More by hwwty4
daledeee

Iowa

3.15/5  rDev -17.5%

A 750 ml bottle

Nose is like herbal tea.

Appearance looks like stirred up mud.

Taste: Well....I could swear this tastes like some of the herbal teas I have had. I read the notes on the bottle before I review and sure enough chamoneille. I knew it. There is also some malt and yeast, but this is basically beer tea. Very organic tasting. I like different beer, but this simply does not appeal to me.

Mouth feel is medium carbonated. Didn't notice much alcohol. I don't know. This one is a little out there for me. Too minty. Actually, upset about this one. Paid $14 for a beer that really is not good.

10-14-2012 00:52:11 | More by daledeee
illidurit

3.25/5  rDev -14.9%

Bottle shared at the September iteration of the Santa Cruz tasting series. Pours light amber with an off-white head. Huge heather aroma, grass, salt, flowers, pumpkin. Flavor retains the heather, the saltiness gets a little fishy, some smoke comes through, and there’s a fruity, fusely finish. Strange. The brewers set out to make a saison reminiscent of a breezy meadow but it doesn’t really come close.

09-13-2011 00:12:17 | More by illidurit

halo913

05-09-2014 02:06:57 | More by halo913
BARFLYB

3.33/5  rDev -12.8%

11.2ozer into a tulip watching Breaking Bad. I've been impressed with Brians Saisons so this is a no brainer.

Into the glass love comes out a bold bright copperish orange with a whole lot of vigor. A slow slope led to a 1/2 inch of foam with just a couple oz's out the bottle. When all is said and done a nice creamy pillow of bright white suds on top, minimal stick.

A nose that is big and spicy, this one is a spice rack. Black pepper, green tea with apples and cinnamon.

The taste is a bit odd, hard to describe and different although I know it leans more in the spice direction rather than yeast. Reminds me more of a herbed/spiced beer, something hippies would drink.

A bit more heavy handed for a standard saison, not as light and refreshing as most in the style, nothing I would want to drink a ton of in 95 degree weather. A big carb blast with bubbles and life. A nice malty base as well. All and all, a medium bodied more suited for fall type beer.

A nice collab between countries with the ingredients kinda blurred into a weird saison. Not really feeling the taste or feel of this one, perhaps some months in the cellar will shift some things around but for now, naw.

08-23-2010 05:04:48 | More by BARFLYB
GbVDave

3.35/5  rDev -12.3%

Poured from an 11.2oz bottle into a Boulevard tulip.

A: Pours a perfectly fine, hazy peach color with loads of active carbonation. A just off white head sprouts on top, never grows thicker than one finger, and retains until the very end of the glass. Sadly, no lace was left behind.

S: Typical Stillwater Saison aromas of sweet fruity yeast and spices. Also along for good measure are wood chips, clove, pepper, rosemary, and grass clippings. Like walking past the spice rack on the way outside to the herb garden.

T: While the sweet, fruity, and yeasty backbone is there, it gets thoroughly steamrolled by all the spicy/herbal flavors. This errs far too much to the spicy side.

M: Starts off full with a hint of sweetness before the spices kick in and turn the middle and finish dry and chaulky.

O: Overall, this looked and smelled great but was sort of a chore to drink. I'd like to revisit this on draft, if at all possible, to re-evaluate.

06-05-2011 13:43:17 | More by GbVDave