Of Love & Regret (Import Series Vol. 1) - Stillwater Artisanal Ales

Of Love & Regret (Import Series Vol. 1)Of Love & Regret (Import Series Vol. 1)

Stillwater Artisanal Ales visit their website
Maryland, United States

Herbed / Spiced Beer |  7.20% ABV

Beer added by: yourefragile on 08-06-2010

For the first edition of the Stillwater Import Series I traveled to the village of Beerzel, located in the Antwerp province of Belgium. Here I teamed up with brewmaster Jef Goetelen to craft an authentic Belgian version of my liquid interpretation of the Spring season. A recipe originally contrived a few years prior as a collaboration brew with my good friend Paul Kretzer. The base is German barley & wheat, with a touch of Belgian aromatic; accented with grassy hops and an array of spring botanicals (heather, chamomile, lavender, & dandelion). Like a fresh meadow in spring.
1.71/5  rDev -54.9%

Had on tap at the Double Windsor, Brooklyn, NY. Poured into Chimay Chalice.
Pours a brownish-red with a bit of head.
Smells of flowers...mostly rose, and sweet malts. Very fragrant, almost like a perfume..not good.
Taste is mostly of rose, floral, malty...its not good at all. Bitter in the mouth...not pleasant at all. If I didnt pay $9 for it, and there was a drain next to me, I would have dumped it. This may be one of the worst beers I ever had. As the name suggests, you will Regret it.

2.55/5  rDev -32.7%

Awesome label. Creative and well done. On to the beer itself...

Poured from the bottle into an oversized tulip. Color is medium amber with a small amount of off white head. Some lacing as the level drops in my glass.

Smell is very strong but very off putting in my opinion. Lots of lavender. Very floral, but not from any hops, more like sticking your nose in a freshly bloomed flower, or a yankee candle. There's a little bready malt in the nose keeping the score from dropping too low.

Taste is not nearly as strong as the smell. Lavender still dominates everything. Very floral still, but a nice herbal flavor works it's way in saving the flavor. This beer did not agree with my palate at all. None of the classic saison flavors I've come to enjoy.

Mouthfeel is thin and finish is bone dry. This is easily the best part of the beer. Flavor does not linger on the palate at all, thank god. I was excited to try Stillwater as they've just become available in my area. This one was a complete miss though. I'll give them another shot for sure, just hoping the next is a little more subtle flavored.

2.58/5  rDev -31.9%

Strange, strange beer. Not bad, just not something like I'd normally go for. There was an odd spiciness to it, and I finally figured out what it was towards the end: tamarind! This isn't something that I'd like in my beer (or my food, for that matter), and I found that it really distracted me from the beer.

2.64/5  rDev -30.3%

Pour is 11.2oz bottle to tulip. Darker in color than I expect, almost copper rather than the straw gold I thought I'd see. Head is huge, four finger head even with a gingerly pour. Big, foamy, and loud. Holds up for a while and leaves sticky lace the whole way down. Body is full of bubbly bubbly bubbles.

Nose is herbaceous and soapy. Citrus and floral notes meet lemon/lime dish soap.

Mouth is light & dry. Flavor is similar to nose. Finish leaves a lingering unwanted soapy note. There's just something unlovable about this beer: it misses the farmy notes of a saison and includes flavors that just make this beer unpleasant.

2.73/5  rDev -28%

11.2oz into pint glass. Got this from the Birthday BIF, thanks!!

Bottle says saison, BA says spiced beer. WTF guys, it's listed on the bottle.

A- Beer has a nice yellow dandelion glow t it, big white seafoam head that has some time to kill. Lingers forever... takes a while to get a full glass.

S- The yeast jumps right out at you on first sniff. Lots of clove, honey, and fresh green growth.

T- Lots of floral, perfumey, and bubblegum yeast notes. Pretty intense, and a bit too much. Really lingers, hard to get past. Bitterness lurks in the background but is a nice contrast.

M- Too intense of a perfume flavor leaves a strange feeling on the tongue. Ample body, but nothing special.

O- Eh, too much of a floral yeasty sweetness that really wears out the tongue. I didn't finish it, so I can't give it high marks here.

EDIT- I didn't know this actually had flowers in it, I thought it was a weird yeast. Makes sense now, although score still stands.

2.91/5  rDev -23.2%

I was pretty excited to find this, given that I really really like the Stateside Saison. This one was brewed at 't Hofbrouwerijke.

Pouring unusually dark for a saison, this is orange/amber with a dense, bubbly head, off-white in color and with great retention. Spotty lacing is present as well. The nose is intensely herbaceous. Very green, there's a lot of grassy herb character, along with a blend of lavender and rosemary. This would smell rather great in (and with) food, but as a standalone beer, I'm not sold. A little crystallized ginger, a definite yeasty phenol character, and a light candy sweetness round out the nose. Unconventional, but rather well done.
The palate opens very crisp and highly carbonated with an almost seltzer-like feel with a definite carbonic acid character. Then, the flavors of chamomile and lavender come through, along with some pepper, and some rosemary (again). This is just too herbal for my liking. Hop character is low, I don't get much on the palate by way of flavor, though a little bitterness is detectable. Again, this is just an incredibly herbed beer, too much IMO. Some sweetness, candy-like, is present mid-palate, but this is medium-light in body. Carbonation is high, and the finish is very dry and quite herbal, again with the mild seltzer water/carbonic acid quality.

If you thought the Stone/Victory/DFH Saison Du BUFF was over-herbed, you should stay away. OTOH, if you liked that, there's a good chance you'll love this.

2.94/5  rDev -22.4%

Thank you to Michael for sending me this one.

A: The pour is a fairly dark orange color with some golden influence and a big white head.

S: An incredibly intense herbal and floral aroma. Lots of rose and hibiscus in the floral department with a bit of a rosemary, sage, chamomile, and ginger, perhaps, and plenty of green peppercorns. Not really my thing.

T: The flavor is, thankfully, less pungent in terms of the herbs than the nose. The hibiscus and rose character is still pretty dominant, but actually somewhat enjoyable. Quite a bit of yeast and a slight funk, along with some sweet malt and candi sugar and hints of citrus.

M: The body is fairly full for a saison with a nice, lively carbonation.

D: The nose was just far too much for me. The flavor was an improvement, but not really my style.

2.98/5  rDev -21.4%

From May 2012 tasting notes.

11.2 oz btl poured into a Dogfish Head signature glass

A: Pours a light brackish brown. Thick off-white bubbly head that keeps. Good lacing and carbonation. Lots of particles floating around.

S: Strong earthy-type smell, some hops, lemon, herbs and spices, yeast.

T: Lemony, with a touch of spices and other citrus flavors. Light tasting with earthiness. Yeast. As I got closer to the end, yeasty sediment took over and it became harder to drink.

M: Grainy, can feel the particles on the tongue. Slightly thinner than expected.

O: When I opened the bottle, it pretty much exploded, something I wasn't prepared for. It's definitely an interesting earthy-type beer, though as I continued drinking it, I liked it less and less. Perhaps I poured it a bit too vigorously and allowed too much of the sediment to get into my glass. Perhaps I picked up a bottle that had gone bad (I couldn't find a date on it). Perhaps my palate's not ready for this one. Anyway, I wasn't too fond of it, but I'd be willing to give it another go in the future.

Pours slightly hazy light orange with a small white head. Bubbles continue to feed the head after it recedes.

Smell is rich and fruity. Chamomile seems most apparent, perhaps because it mingles with the fruity saison notes. Quite strong and sweet smelling. Earthy heather and dandelion creep in as well as the lavender though I wouldn't have picked up those likely if I didn't know they were in there. Graham cracker malt aroma. Hops are hard to place as they seem to mingle with everything else that is going on.

Quite strong and sweet. Even more so than the nose suggested. Apples and honey. A hint of caramel malt. Lavender is more apparent in the flavor. Lots of spices going on. Tannins and some medicinal character from the spices. A bit overboard I think. Warming alcohol. Some bitterness but it is balanced definitely toward the sweet side.

Solid carbonation and slightly slick body. Somewhat sticky mouthfeel, but not in a bad way. The sweetness and spices fill the mouth and linger. A tad cloying.

Way too sweet for a saison in my opinion. Lots of interesting flavors, but a bit heavy on the spices.

3.01/5  rDev -20.6%

Pours darker than any saison I've encountered to date. Golden orange. Slightly hazy with a thin eggshell colored head.
Very floral and grassy. Lots of herbal notes. Tarragon, sage, rosemary. Some pepper and lemon notes too.
Alot of the spiciness doesn't come through in the flavor. It's very light and grassy. The herbs are there. Very strong amounts of sage. A little bit of tanginess.
Mouthfeel isn't as light and crisp as I'm used to from a saison. It's a little heavy for the style. Not enough carbonation IMO.
For some reason I expected more from this beer. A little too herbal and under carbonated for my liking. Not one I'd get again.

3.15/5  rDev -16.9%

Poured into a tulip. Pours a clear golden color with a giant head that fades away very quickly to a thin layer of foam. Lots of sticky bubbles on the side of the glass.

Floral yeast aromas come of strong with some hints of white pepper and spice. A little bit of a citrus aroma to the background. The flavor is a bit doughy/yeasty with some spice in the middle. Very strange aftertaste, almost seems a bit musty.

The body is light and the carbonation is a bit too much. Overall this one isn't anything special. I'll drink it, but I don't need more at all.

3.16/5  rDev -16.6%

Big thanks to yourefragile for this one.

Remnants of my massive Saison tasting I had last weekend. It's always nice when you have so much beer left over that you can sit down and review the leftovers during the next week. Poured a 11.2oz skinny into my Dogfish Head snifter. This beer pours a color that I can only explain as this. It's the color of a orange that has been sitting in your fridge for about a month. When its taken on that bruised, darkish brown orange but hasn't started growing penicillin yet. A nice 2 inch white cap leaves behind some sticky lacing down the sides of the glass. HOLY SHIT! This is the most intensely aroma'd beer I have ever had the pleasure/displeasure of placing under my nose. Jesus. Its like Sage had a threesome with Lavender and Rosemary and because they were such sluts, Green peppercorn decided to come in and tag team. Jesus. This aroma is intense. INTENSE. Herbal and flora and spicy. I cant tell you if its absolutely fantastic or the most overwhelming thing I have ever smelled mixed with alcohol. The flavor is a massive blast of Lavender. Like sucking on fresh flower petals. Its herbality is toned down buts still, sage and rosemary lay a bit of a smack down. Just a little dried parsley too. The mouthfeel has that great dryness that every excellent saison should have but encapsulates this flavor that I'm just not sure on. Really, I just don't know if I should love this beer or hate it. I feel like I really need about 1/2 a case more to really decide but since I only have the 1 bottle, I have to review off of that. So it comes to that. I either hate it or love it, and I really cant decide which.

3.17/5  rDev -16.4%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.25

The first sip is an eye-opener. Makes me long for a lovely, simple yeasty Farmhouse beer instead of this over-spiced pretentious concoction. It's exactly what you would expect from Dogfish Head.

The chamomile is overwhelming. I am coming to the opinion that there is just no safe level of chamomile. Not to mention the lavender. The smell is like something you'd find in your wife's underwear drawer. Taste is seriously resiny, flowery, perfumey, and overly herbal. Honey from the rosemary farm.

From the 750 ml swing top bought at Bine and Vine in San Diego for an extortionate $17.99. And then I read the fine print: "Product of Belgium."

3.17/5  rDev -16.4%

A 750 ml bottle

Nose is like herbal tea.

Appearance looks like stirred up mud.

Taste: Well....I could swear this tastes like some of the herbal teas I have had. I read the notes on the bottle before I review and sure enough chamoneille. I knew it. There is also some malt and yeast, but this is basically beer tea. Very organic tasting. I like different beer, but this simply does not appeal to me.

Mouth feel is medium carbonated. Didn't notice much alcohol. I don't know. This one is a little out there for me. Too minty. Actually, upset about this one. Paid $14 for a beer that really is not good.

3.28/5  rDev -13.5%

Bottle shared at the September iteration of the Santa Cruz tasting series. Pours light amber with an off-white head. Huge heather aroma, grass, salt, flowers, pumpkin. Flavor retains the heather, the saltiness gets a little fishy, some smoke comes through, and there’s a fruity, fusely finish. Strange. The brewers set out to make a saison reminiscent of a breezy meadow but it doesn’t really come close.

3.35/5  rDev -11.6%

11.2ozer into a tulip watching Breaking Bad. I've been impressed with Brians Saisons so this is a no brainer.

Into the glass love comes out a bold bright copperish orange with a whole lot of vigor. A slow slope led to a 1/2 inch of foam with just a couple oz's out the bottle. When all is said and done a nice creamy pillow of bright white suds on top, minimal stick.

A nose that is big and spicy, this one is a spice rack. Black pepper, green tea with apples and cinnamon.

The taste is a bit odd, hard to describe and different although I know it leans more in the spice direction rather than yeast. Reminds me more of a herbed/spiced beer, something hippies would drink.

A bit more heavy handed for a standard saison, not as light and refreshing as most in the style, nothing I would want to drink a ton of in 95 degree weather. A big carb blast with bubbles and life. A nice malty base as well. All and all, a medium bodied more suited for fall type beer.

A nice collab between countries with the ingredients kinda blurred into a weird saison. Not really feeling the taste or feel of this one, perhaps some months in the cellar will shift some things around but for now, naw.

3.4/5  rDev -10.3%

Poured from an 11.2oz bottle into a Boulevard tulip.

A: Pours a perfectly fine, hazy peach color with loads of active carbonation. A just off white head sprouts on top, never grows thicker than one finger, and retains until the very end of the glass. Sadly, no lace was left behind.

S: Typical Stillwater Saison aromas of sweet fruity yeast and spices. Also along for good measure are wood chips, clove, pepper, rosemary, and grass clippings. Like walking past the spice rack on the way outside to the herb garden.

T: While the sweet, fruity, and yeasty backbone is there, it gets thoroughly steamrolled by all the spicy/herbal flavors. This errs far too much to the spicy side.

M: Starts off full with a hint of sweetness before the spices kick in and turn the middle and finish dry and chaulky.

O: Overall, this looked and smelled great but was sort of a chore to drink. I'd like to revisit this on draft, if at all possible, to re-evaluate.

3.4/5  rDev -10.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.25

A: Popped the 'grolsch' top bottle and away we go... beautiful copper color with nice 1/2 inch head, pours beautifully.

S: For some reason I was expecting more of a "farmhouse" ale and I guess shame on me as expectation is the mother of all disappointments. No yeast at all, reminds me of the "natural soap" area of my grocery store... in a ???? way :-D

T: Essential oils dominate, there's a lot of herbal stuff going on here, if you like stillwater you'll like what they're working with here

M: Reminds me of drinking herbal tea with booze in it, for whatever reason. Lots of earthy notes, it's like drinking beers from a "mellower" earth.

O: A great beer to try if you like herbal teas /scented soaps/ want to step outside the <lager-ale> framework. Over the top in all the right ways.

3.44/5  rDev -9.2%

Pours a golden amber with half a finger of head. Very spicy aroma. Strong coriander, cinnamon, clove, mint, rosemary, and other mild spices. Carbonation is evident in the nose, feeling tingly. Light belgian malt is detectable behind the spices. Light Belgian malt with funky, peppery Belgian yeast hitting strong up front. Malt turns, lingers very bitter with pepper and cinnamon hints. Abrasive at times and very acidic in nature, the overly carbonated feel doesn't mesh well with the former in terms of feel.

I'm a bit torn. I think this is a very interesting, if off-putting beer. Stillwater is trying to do something different, and I think they could succeed if they turn the carbonation down a notch. Really, it's just the mouthfeel that holds this back. I like the complexity in the yeast, held up by a strong Belgian pale backbone which knows how to take a backseat to other flavors. I'd like to try this on tap to see if the feel is different. Very interesting, but for the price and considering everything, this isn't something I'll reach for much in the future.

3.45/5  rDev -9%

Thanks to thorpe429 for this one. Served in a Surly pint glass.

A - Pours with a voluminous orange-tinged foam that quickly sizzles away to a thin cap, but no lace. The body is a hazy fiery orange, with some obvious suspended sediment.

S - Smells like ginger, nutmeg, cardamom, and a whole host of other kitchen spices. There's some grain character in the periphery, but this is the epitome of herbed/spiced beer. I like it more than 4Elf I suppose.

T - Taste has a little more pale malt and fruity yeast character, but it still pretty spicy. Not sure what else to say - tastes like someone poured a bunch of kitchen spices into my Belgian pale ale.

M - Body is medium, with active but pleasant carbonation, and a lightly chewy finish. No obvious alcohol.

D - I was able to finish a 33cl bottle, which is a feat considering I generally dislike this style of beer. That being said, I don't think I could have more than one in a session, and I wouldn't actively seek this out. If you live for spiced beers though, this one is for you!

3.46/5  rDev -8.7%

Interesting saison-esque beer. My only qualm is that the aroma gets rather perfumey. There's a fair bit of spiciness and a lot of floral flavor. The beer tastes less perfumey and more yeasty. It's a good earthy, funky yeast. The mouthfeel is a smooth and relatively low on bubbles. The beer pours a rich amber with an off-white head. It's a good beer, but I was a bit thrown by the floral notes of the aroma.

3.47/5  rDev -8.4%
look: 3 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Poured on 10-23-10

Pours a cloudy rusty orange color with very little foam at all. There is a little bit of suspended bits throughout the beer. Aroma seems to be mostly coriander, pepper, ginger and some sweet malts. Very dry mouthfeel, light bodied with slightly higher than wanted carbonation, the flavor is very "herby", chamomile, lavender, etc. flowery with just a hint of the coriander. Hops take a back seat and leave just a slightly bitter finish. I'm not sure if i would buy this again, very floral and flowery.

3.48/5  rDev -8.2%

Poured from a 330mL bottle into a tulip glass.

A: Pours a hazy, sunburst orange/amber color. A thin white ring of foam clings to the sides of the glass on top of the beer. There is a minimal amount of carbonation as it appears quite still.

S: The aroma is loaded with various spices and herbs, making it very tea-like. Lavender and chamomile are definitely present as is a rosemary-like taste. There is a touch of floral hops but the herbs mostly dominate the aroma.

T: The taste is similar to the aroma in that the herbs and spices dominate anything else that tries to come through. Again, it is very tea-like with copious amounts of lavender, chamomile, and other various spices. Floral and leafy hops are present but any sort of malts are hardly noticeable.

M: It has a body that is on the lighter side with a minimal amount of carbonation. This has relatively high alcohol, but it isn't noticeable at all.

O: This was most certainly a unique beer. Definitely more of a herbal and spice forward drink than traditional hop and malt beers. Worth a try and I'm glad I did, but I don't think I'll be revisiting this one.

3.49/5  rDev -7.9%

A-Hazy gold body with a tall head dropping to a nice cap and leaving solid lacing.

S-I was pretty let down here, very herbal with a little spice, but I also got a lot of band-aid. After giving it a minute more yeasty spice opens up along with some floral notes, but it is still really rough.

T-Lots of spice right away, cinnamon, some bread like malt, and flowers. I was definitely getting the lavender here, along with the chamomile, and a whole mess of yeasty spice. A vast improvement over the smell, but still not something I would actively seek out.

M-Medium high carb, somewhat light body, no detectable heat.

D-Really not what I was expecting, it is definitely a departure from what you would normally get. It was very fresh and bright tasting, but the aroma was a little off putting. I also found the flavor to be just a little watery, but overall it was pretty good. Certainly not the best from Stillwater, but worth a try.

3.49/5  rDev -7.9%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Rich amber in color. Thin head with no lacing.

Powerful smell of cinnamon and brown sugar.

Good malt base. Strong herbal taste, particularly rosemary. It's sharp and refreshing at first, but becomes muddled as the beer warms.

A good beer but would definitely limit to one or two because the flavor can become overpowering.

Of Love & Regret (Import Series Vol. 1) from Stillwater Artisanal Ales