Of Love & Regret (Import Series Vol. 1) - Stillwater Artisanal Ales

Of Love & Regret (Import Series Vol. 1)Of Love & Regret (Import Series Vol. 1)

Stillwater Artisanal Ales visit their website
Maryland, United States

Herbed / Spiced Beer |  7.20% ABV

For the first edition of the Stillwater Import Series I traveled to the village of Beerzel, located in the Antwerp province of Belgium. Here I teamed up with brewmaster Jef Goetelen to craft an authentic Belgian version of my liquid interpretation of the Spring season. A recipe originally contrived a few years prior as a collaboration brew with my good friend Paul Kretzer. The base is German barley & wheat, with a touch of Belgian aromatic; accented with grassy hops and an array of spring botanicals (heather, chamomile, lavender, & dandelion). Like a fresh meadow in spring.

(Beer added by: yourefragile on 08-06-2010)

freduardo, Oct 18, 2012

ncaudle, Oct 17, 2012
3.15/5  rDev -17.3%

A 750 ml bottle

Nose is like herbal tea.

Appearance looks like stirred up mud.

Taste: Well....I could swear this tastes like some of the herbal teas I have had. I read the notes on the bottle before I review and sure enough chamoneille. I knew it. There is also some malt and yeast, but this is basically beer tea. Very organic tasting. I like different beer, but this simply does not appeal to me.

Mouth feel is medium carbonated. Didn't notice much alcohol. I don't know. This one is a little out there for me. Too minty. Actually, upset about this one. Paid $14 for a beer that really is not good.

daledeee, Oct 14, 2012

pwoody11, Oct 06, 2012
2.93/5  rDev -23.1%

From May 2012 tasting notes.

11.2 oz btl poured into a Dogfish Head signature glass

A: Pours a light brackish brown. Thick off-white bubbly head that keeps. Good lacing and carbonation. Lots of particles floating around.

S: Strong earthy-type smell, some hops, lemon, herbs and spices, yeast.

T: Lemony, with a touch of spices and other citrus flavors. Light tasting with earthiness. Yeast. As I got closer to the end, yeasty sediment took over and it became harder to drink.

M: Grainy, can feel the particles on the tongue. Slightly thinner than expected.

O: When I opened the bottle, it pretty much exploded, something I wasn't prepared for. It's definitely an interesting earthy-type beer, though as I continued drinking it, I liked it less and less. Perhaps I poured it a bit too vigorously and allowed too much of the sediment to get into my glass. Perhaps I picked up a bottle that had gone bad (I couldn't find a date on it). Perhaps my palate's not ready for this one. Anyway, I wasn't too fond of it, but I'd be willing to give it another go in the future.

NumberNone, Sep 26, 2012

fortheunheard, Sep 20, 2012

Daniellobo, Sep 15, 2012
3.53/5  rDev -7.3%

Stillwater's inaugural "Import" series of beers kick of by capturing a taste of Belgium springtime in pint form. With strong botanical overtones, the beer delivers saison-like underpinnings with decorated spices, fuller body, and enough malt flavor in support.

The inquisitive ale pours with hazy rust appearances. Burgundy and chestnut colorations project brown and red hues with a dense haze. The beer builds a meringue-like head that caps the beer with a strong confidence that defies collapse. The beer laces the glass beautifully and becomes a testament to the quality of the beer with each sip taken from the snifter.

All the medow-like aromas from dandelion, chamomile, and lavender swirl into a heavily perfumed nose. Its culmination reminds me of freshly picked pine needles. With its rosy alcohol scent, even a hint of juniper, gin, mint, and Zinfandel come to mind. But the nose is also balanced by the light toasty character of fresh baking breads, lightly kilned barley, and Grape Nuts cereal.

Bold flavors seem to act in reverse order from the nose. First, the starch-heavy taste of whole wheat bread, toasted barley kernels, and lightly buttered toast. While medium sweet to taste, the flowery additions rise at mid palate and give a slightly fatter taste because of the fuller herbs, spices, and botanicals. Even side notes of cedar, fennel seed, and juniper twigs weave into the varying flavor profiles. The layers of taste reveal a grassy and tea-like bitterness that supplants hop bitterness for an odd closure to taste.

The protiens from wheat keep the beer medium bodied and richly textures early on. Full carbonation emerges from the bready texture reluctantly and keeps the beer fuller, longer into the session. But the beer reaches semi-dry status late due to fleeting malt presence, growing bitterness, and rising alcohol warmth. Finishing with spicy wine-like tannin, a thin coat of chamomile seems like light olive oil on the back of the throat.

With nearly gruit-like spiciness, the beer takes a pine-heavy balance from nose to finish. The decoration of wild flowers, herbs, and spice informs the taste of pine in high form. I'm not sure if the beer represents Belgian spring, but I does take my imagination to botanical gardens in the U.S. deep south.

BEERchitect, Sep 12, 2012

brez8791, Sep 11, 2012
3.68/5  rDev -3.4%

A - Towering head of bone white foam. Great retention and ok lace. Nice copper gold body.

S - Sage, allspice, and potpourri with a slightly savory edge.

T - Bright body with green plant stems, dandilion, and rosewater. Semi-sweet sage center with a dry, lingering floral finish.

M - Assertive carbonation balances out what would otherwise be an aggressively floral profile.

O - A saison brewed on the floral end of the spectrum.

vfgccp, Sep 02, 2012
4.08/5  rDev +7.1%

I picked up a small bottle of this over in Westchester NY.

Poured this into brew from Stillwater into a wine glass. The appearance is a hazy orange tone with a couple fingers of an off-white head. Looks quite nice, excited to try this. Of Love and Regret smells of ginger, lavender, yeast and some citrus. Sipping on this and I taste lemon, more yeast, spices such as that ginger. A very interesting taste, most certainly one that is spiced, and has other characteristics prevalent in quite a few Belgian style beers. Mouthfeel is medium, very crisp and sharp. Overall, a solid beer for sure. Kind of expensive, but worth checking out at least once IMO.

mltobin, Aug 25, 2012
2.58/5  rDev -32.3%

Strange, strange beer. Not bad, just not something like I'd normally go for. There was an odd spiciness to it, and I finally figured out what it was towards the end: tamarind! This isn't something that I'd like in my beer (or my food, for that matter), and I found that it really distracted me from the beer.

alysmith4, Aug 16, 2012

NCStateAE, Aug 08, 2012

B+

Pours a scrumptious butterscotch, towering yellowish tan head recedes and the froth hangs.

Aroma is spicy pungent, mildly sweet, the floral components are mildewed. Ginger and just the right amount of dirty sock.

All the spices listed are present but not overt. The wet hay too is pleasantly subtle. Zero bitter zero dry. Cinnamon and cardamom subtly appear throughout the sip, tastes as if a winter warmer. Medium smooth creamy mouthfeel.
cheers
jd

impending, Jul 14, 2012

DrunkinYogi, Jul 13, 2012
4.13/5  rDev +8.4%

Develops an enormous, pale, orange sherbet foam that overwhelms the Saison DuPont pint glass before slowly transforming into a rocky texture and leaving patches of lace. Pours gem clear a brilliant, copper penny color with abundant, random, tiny bubbles of carbonation. Yeast was left in the bottle.

The aroma contains strong yeast and earthiness with lots of spice, light hops and a soft, caramel malt background.

Spicy. There are lots of varied spices including clove and coriander. Earthy following the nose but more bitter than anticipated. Pepper comes late as does sweetness. There is a long, spicy, dry finish.

A medium body with velvety texture and alcohol as expected. Carbonation is light and prickly. This one ends very dry.

With lots of character, Stillwater’s offering is easy to drink and helps one wind down. This could easily go well with pasta or game. It seems to me like what an imperial saison might taste like.

For the second pour I allowed the yeast into the glass and found it had little impact on the aroma and, while adding some fruitiness, it generally muted the flavors. Of Love and Regret is better if the yeast is left in the bottle.

SLeffler27, Jun 24, 2012
4.5/5  rDev +18.1%

Googs, Jun 19, 2012
4.08/5  rDev +7.1%

33cl bottle poured into my large Gulden Draak tulip, Of Love & Regret is hazy dull auburn with a small white head (in spite being a bit of a gusher, after allowing it to warm to about 60F) that leaves very light, scattered lace.

Smell is herbal and floral. Spring mountain meadow, nailed it.

Taste is also floral and herbal, but not in that overdone potpouri way that I find many flower brews end up being; this one is well balanced with the earth, spicy and fruity esters. A touch phenolic as well. There's a pleasant note of sage.

Mouthfeel is dry, fizzy and light bodied.

Drinkability is pretty good. I like the concept, and think the nose was spot on. Taste was a little less dialed in, and overall, it was nice to try.

ccrida, Jun 15, 2012
3.48/5  rDev -8.7%

Poured from a 330mL bottle into a tulip glass.

A: Pours a hazy, sunburst orange/amber color. A thin white ring of foam clings to the sides of the glass on top of the beer. There is a minimal amount of carbonation as it appears quite still.

S: The aroma is loaded with various spices and herbs, making it very tea-like. Lavender and chamomile are definitely present as is a rosemary-like taste. There is a touch of floral hops but the herbs mostly dominate the aroma.

T: The taste is similar to the aroma in that the herbs and spices dominate anything else that tries to come through. Again, it is very tea-like with copious amounts of lavender, chamomile, and other various spices. Floral and leafy hops are present but any sort of malts are hardly noticeable.

M: It has a body that is on the lighter side with a minimal amount of carbonation. This has relatively high alcohol, but it isn't noticeable at all.

O: This was most certainly a unique beer. Definitely more of a herbal and spice forward drink than traditional hop and malt beers. Worth a try and I'm glad I did, but I don't think I'll be revisiting this one.

BilbosNuts, Jun 13, 2012

BeerOps, Jun 10, 2012

First had: on tap at Teresa's, Wayne, PA

Poured a hazy, bright orange-amber with a finger or so of foamy white head that retained well, leaving some doily lacing on the glass. Lots of pronounced spice in the nose, bready yeast, touches of fruit esters. Taste is definitely spice-driven, kind of exploring the whole spectrum, with chamomile the dominant factor; yeasty profile, with a medley of fruits and vegetables, with notes of melon, pear, and sweet potato most dominant to me. A little thicker than medium in the mouthfeel, with some booziness in the finish/aftertaste. Pretty solid beer; could be a lady-pleaser, as my wife couldn't get enough of it.

Rifugium, May 31, 2012

uturn, May 27, 2012
3.5/5  rDev -8.1%

Served from tap into a Trappe Door tulip. Poured a slightly hazy yellow-orange with a one finger slightly off-white head that subsided to a minimal amount slowly. Maintained nice lacing throughout the glass. The aroma was comprised of sweet malt, spices, herbs, fruit, and subtle tart. The flavor was of sweet malt, spices, fruit, and herbs. It had a light feel on the palate with medium carbonation. Overall this was a decent brew. I was a little letdown by this one as I went into it expecting a nice and complex brew, but found it to be very one note with the spice and herb character going on in both the flavor and aroma. For what it lacked in complexity, it made up for it with the refreshment aspect. This is a good thing when you aren’t craving something to challenge your palate. Worth trying to get your take on it, but that is about it.

thagr81us, May 15, 2012
3.6/5  rDev -5.5%

11.2oz bottle into a saison glass. Instant gusher as soon as I pop the cap, and I'm not ready. I lose an ounce or more before I get the bottle to my glass. I love trying a new beer, but I regret every time this happens. Nothing gets me off on the wrong foot with a beer faster than a gusher.

Pours a murky amber w/ lots of tiny suspended particulates. Thick rocky head settles quickly to a thin film, sustained by vigorous carb.

Aroma is funky and slightly tart w/ a strong herbal presence. Lavender? Sage? Can't pick out anything exactly, just a general herbal-ness.

Taste follows nose. Tastes like a saison that has been strained through an herbal potpourri. Citrusy hops, Belgian yeast, and aromatic spicy leaves. Slightly metallic aftertaste.

Mouthfeel is clearly overcarbed (evidenced earlier); prickly and sharp, lacks balance.

Overall a unique beer but not one I'll seek out again.

draheim, May 14, 2012
3.75/5  rDev -1.6%

Hazy deep orange colour, one finger off white head, light lacing left on the glass. Smell is incredibly fragrant and spicy, floral, ginger, yeasty with a light funky presence, orange and coriander, almost Orval like in terms of the musty-ginger scents but far less intense Taste is packed with spice and floral flavours, ginger, coriander and whole bunch of spicy herbal flavours that are tough to place exactly what they are, lightly tart at points, fairly dry overall with emphasis on the finish. Med-high carbonation, medium body with a fairly pleasant weight throughout. Certainly an interesting brew that grew on me as it warmed, initially the spice is sever but is integrated better about halfway through the bottle, quite drinkable and fairly solid.

peensteen, May 07, 2012