Stillwater / Mikkeller Two Gypsies: Our Side - Stillwater Artisanal Ales

Stillwater / Mikkeller Two Gypsies: Our SideStillwater / Mikkeller Two Gypsies: Our Side

Stillwater Artisanal Ales visit their website
Maryland, United States

Saison / Farmhouse Ale |  7.50% ABV

Mikkel and Brian are two of the world's most unconventional brewers. By designing beers at various breweries around the globe, they have found the freedom to experiment and innovate, resulting in unique beers that often blur the lines of definition. After having met at a festival in Bodegraven, NL the two realized that their first creations both were called Stateside. It was then an obvious decision to make the two recipes into a new product, packed full of piney, resinous hops, and backed by the esters of a farmhouse yeast strain.

(Beer added by: tbrown4 on 01-05-2011)
4.55/5  rDev +15.2%

Bottle poured into a goblet, Our Side is a hazy dull gold with a big frothy barely off-white head with nice last

Smell is great, wow! Classic mineral pith and lemon-lime esters accentuated by the hop citrus, a hint of spice.

Taste is really nice, I'm really liking this beer, a great balance of classic saison esters, yeasty, bready, citrus, with plenty of hops, oily, herbal, citrus, resin, a little peanut. Very nice take on the style.

Mouthfeel is slick, dry, medium-light.

Drinkability is high. I love this beer. Awesome, and not even that over-priced - for a gyspy collab beer bottled in 750s!

3.23/5  rDev -18.2%

appearance: hazy amber. Thick white head and lacing.
smell: Fruit, spice, and yeast. Yep fits the style. The style may not be for me but i'm just not feelin it. I've very little experience with the style so...full disclosure.
taste: Much like the nose. There's a bit of an unpleasant finish imo.
overall: Not too impressed. Love most Mikkellers I've had and i know this has a high reputation. This is the 3rd bottle i've had and well, maybe just not for me.

4.83/5  rDev +22.3%

This poured a semi-cloudy orange-amber with a fluffy white head that retained well and left sea foam lacing.

The aroma was amazing, full, rich, complex malt profiles of biscuit, sourdough, and a touch of caramel and honey. Some nice farmhouse funk and floral qualities peek through with estery, bright fruits of green apple and pear. This melts nicely and naturally into a spicy blend of citrus, orange, pineapple and a touch of pine and grass. Very complex and interesting hop profile rides on top of a rich, complex maltiness.

The taste follows the nose with sourdough, honey, caramel and other fresh baked bread qualities. A touch of sugar and funky yeast, floral and wet hey notes. Lots of bright fruit from apple, pear to orange and pineapple. Great citrus hop profile with a touch of pine sap blends beautifully. Nothing over the top or overly pungent, but great balanced blend.

Slighly creamy, smooth, rich and slightly oily. Crisp, refreshing and delicious. An awesome beer!

4.58/5  rDev +15.9%

Incredible hazy golden color with a decent 2 finger marshmallow head. Smells of beautiful citrusy-hops, extremely fresh fruity/bready yeast aromas, lots of clean citrus fruits, just a touch of grassy earth in the nose. When I drink this beer, I can't stop smelling it, the whole way through I never get tired of the aroma. One of, if not THE best smelling beers I've ever had.

Taste is parallel to the aromatic notes, but with more citrus-malt in the middle, and a touch of crisp pear or apple hidden in there as well...very faint. Incredible medium-light on the mouth, lots of effervescence to keep it crisp and refreshing on the palate—good clean mild hop finish. Easy to drink and smooth.

I love this beer. I don't know how to classify it, and like all Stillwater ales it has a hybrid quality to it. Almost like an earthy and mild IPA with more citrus-malt in the front . This might be my absolute favorite beer. Worth savoring and worth going out of your way to find.

3.9/5  rDev -1.3%

On tap at The Publick House in Brookline.

Appearance is a lighter golden hue with a one finger white head. Its` smell was a mix of belgian yeast, citrus, and flora. 2 Gypsies tasted fairly earthy; sourdough bread, lemon, honey, malt, faint hops too. MF is medium with nice carbonation levels. This collabo between Mikkeller and Stillwater is worth checking out if you enjoy saisons.

3.63/5  rDev -8.1%

Wow, been a long time since I reviewed...Glad I took the break, though. That 365 beers in 365 days thing took a lot out of me, reviewing-wise...

The basics: $10.40/750 ml bottle (a tad pricey) & 7.5% ABV (nice for the style)...

The pour was excellent...The head didn't fount like a lot of saisons will if you mess up the pour like I always do...It only started to rise after I got about half-way through, and then it was manly, like Chuck Norris. Super-persistent, like meringue, and lacing for days. Uber-carbonated, which I like in my Saisons...However, I like a bit more "dirt"...This seemed a little too clear for my taste...

Nice, flowery nose. This guy has the aroma component down in his Farmhouse ales, that's for sure. A little bit of soap, some lavender...And a touch of hops, which must speak to the Mikkeller portion of the collab...Crisp and vibrant, with some citrus peel dangling all over the place...Very nice...

Flavor is always where I downgrade Stillwater...I like more lemonade and "punch" in my farmhouse, and his tend to be understated to my palate. Whereas Upright seems to hit like Johnny Depp, Stillwater likes to play the Ethan Hawke role...Nice, crisp, and fruity, but it seems to be missing something upfront, like a nice malty burst...that "tang" you get from a rockin' farmhouse...Too smooth in the delivery, in my uneducated opinion...The hops really make a play in the late middle, asserting their near-dominance in this brew. This really seems to scream "collaboration", which is the intent, right? Spot on in that department, as I see it.

What I like most: The vibrant appearance and aroma.

What I like least: The understated (to my palate) flavor profile.

Verdict: I still will pick up Upright over Stillwater whenever I see them, but this is a nice collaboration as it certainly highlights the styles of both brewers...

4.28/5  rDev +8.4%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

A - Glowing amber color with a solid finger of cream colored head. retains quite well. A lot darker than I expected.

S - Citrus hops are very dominant. Reminds me a lot more of a belgian IPA than a saison. Clove and back pepper take a backseat to the hops. The longer I smell the more intricate the flavors become - gummy bears and fruit are teasing me.

T - Pepper and spicy hops smack you in the face big time, a lot more than the nose led me to believe they would. Alcohol is barely noticeable in the finish. A bit fruity. Sourdough bread dough is in there somewhere.

M - Carbonation is pretty mild but the beer itself is medium bodied. You get tricked into perceiving higher viscosity.

O - Solid beer, one of the tastier ones I've had recently. Would definitely drink this one again

A - hazy orange with a big foamy head that stays for as long as you want it.
S - fruity zest with a hoppy floral backgorund over top of a yeasty base.
T - spicy/yeasty/hoppy/citrusy reminds me of a Tripel.
M - zippy carbonation adds to the peppery taste and feel.
D - quite enjoyable but not a quaffing beer.
Saison with a hoppy kick.

3.95/5  rDev 0%

Pours an opaque copper to orange with golden hues beneath the foamy, white head that really takes some time to dissolve leaving little lacing behind.

Wow, the aroma is quite abundant consisting of zesty citrus, piney hops, pepper, and yeast.

The flavor is similar with lemon and citrus zest, a touch of spice, earthy yeast, and again piney hops.

This Saison is generously carbonated with a drying finish and a medium body.

A nice, different twist on a traditional style to tie in some piney hops on top of the traditional yeasts and fruit characteristics.

4.33/5  rDev +9.6%

On-tap at Public House, in San Francisco.

The beer looks like a ripe peach when held to the light, condensation on the glass even doubling for fuzz. Indeed, it looks like something I'd like to take a bit out of. The beer's complexion is transparent but foggy, owing, I imagine, to a protein haze on the behalf of an ample maltiness. Its head leaves lacing with bigger veins than a bodybuilder.

The beer smells like God's own secret batch of peach lemonade. Its bouquet has the super distilled essence of apricots, millions of them. I suppose that it's yeast and hops that account for this blossoming, slightly sour fruitiness and the floral overtones that pair with it. Assuming so, they've done their job perfectly. Heck, why drink it when I can keep smelling it?

Clean, toasty, Belgian-esque malts make up the foundations and they're instantly recognizable, even over-top the tart fruity notes. What takes more time to show is all the green, candied hoppiness. These ales that combine rich, quality continental maltiness with brazen, zesty American hops have become quite fashionable, and with good reason.

This relatively potent beer is disguised with a pleasant overall floral quality, akin to an herbal tea. There is some bitterness - which should be expected anytime the name Mikkeller is on the label - and what's there is surprisingly assertive. A rash of yeasty spice, subtle until this point, washes up on the finish with a hide tide of (well contained) alcohol warmth.

"Two Gypsies" refers to the fact that neither brewer - Mikkel Borg Bjergsø (Mikkeller – Denmark) and Brian Strumke (Stillwater Ales – Baltimore, USA) - actually has a brewing facility of their own. They're just a couple of mooches that go around the world borrowing other peoples' stuff. And it's a damn good thing they let them! It'd be a crime not to.

3.5/5  rDev -11.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.5

Poured into a tulip and shared with my homey Greg. Pours with a massive creamy four fingers of white head sitting on a slightly dark golden straw colored body. Really intense retention on this one, after a few minutes of staring at it this head shows no sign of shrinking.

Lemongrass in the aroma with some soap (it's not my glass I'm sure, I only use really hot water when cleaning and it's a good soap smell, shower soap really) and some bitter hops in the background. Butterscotch sweetness here with a little lemon grass and a little bit of hops rounding it out.

The body is a little heavy on this one. It seems to stick to the pallet and the carbonation is surprisingly a soft. Overall not a bad beer but it doesn't seem to encompass a lot of characteristics I would like to see in my saisons. I could go for a bit of a lighter body and a crisper flavor profile.

3.9/5  rDev -1.3%

From notes taken at the Armsby Abbey.

A - Poured into a generic tulip a hazy copper/gold with a one finger head that leaves big, creamy side lacing.

S - Light floral hops and grass along with rather light funk.

T - Basicaly the nose just amped up. There are more of those soft floral hops and grass notes along with that typical saison barn and funk.

M - Low in carbonation and quite creamy.

O - This wasnt a bad saison, but, I had better ones that night. Wonder how this would be from the bottle with a little time on it...

4.33/5  rDev +9.6%

I had this on tap at Barley's in Asheville a few weeks ago and the review is from my notes.

A-Honey with an off-white head. There is some lacing and cascading as well.

S-Piney, earthy hops as well as some citrus hops. Belgian yeast is present and caramel malt in the background.

T-Citrus and pine hop notes up front followed by a honey and caramel malt backbone. Delicious and fresh oranges flavor is present. The Farmhouse yeast strain becomes more present as it warms. Delicious and complex beer.

M-Thick with a nice amount of carbonation.

D-I could drink this all day. Truly delicious and complex.

Overall, this is a great beer and I'm glad I had I was able to try it.

3.43/5  rDev -13.2%

Stillwater/Mikkeller Two gypsies Saison

A honey golden with huge carbonation, nice lacing with mild middle body

S some Belgian sweetness, clove, citrus, and classic saison spiciness

T: This is a nice dryness with mellow hops. The taste has a type of great pepper notes to it with some coriander. That makes it sound far more herbal than it is but overall very crisp and refreshing with great wheat notes.

M: there is a very light character with great crisp character. However, in the realm of saisons it gets subsumed by many other iconic brands. It is not exceptionally memorable overall unfortunately.

D Like many Saisons, it is a very light and refreshing beer, but if it were not, it would be a pretty unsatisfactory saison. The light brett funk is good but ultimately forgettable.

Narrative: Life was pretty consistent for Carl Cirrus. He was born from coastal pressure as a cirrus cloud, no surprise there, but he always longed for more. He would often glide along without purpose and refresh airplane passengers in a mild way. Ultimately, he wanted so much more. He wanted to live a life of excitement and pizzazz like his humulus and stratus brethren. They would toss and turn, flip into funnels, destroy Midwest towns; and yet here he was, just a placid long bed of evapotranspiration that no one gave a thought to. “I create those healthy jet streams for travel and the currents for watering cro-” PSsFFHFHHHSSHHH:::: a new satellite was launched trough Carl’s cirrus sternum: MTV3 just went live.

3.88/5  rDev -1.8%

On-tap at Bruery Provisions, on to the beer:

It looks like fall with its autumn orange color. A little lace it brings clings to the glass. At first, the nose hits hard with the hops. Given some time to air out, we start to get a little rusitc. More specifically, the aroma is piney, toffee, and a little rustic.

It's a weird one, but I like it. This IPA meets saison has got it. Pine juice and rustic saison characterstics to taste, and while I like it, I wouldn't want many helping of it

3.83/5  rDev -3%

750ml bottle into La Fin Du Monde tulip.

Pours a medium yellow-orange color with a huge foamy white head. The head dissipates to a 1 cm layer that sits on top of the beer throughout the drink. Smell is dusty at first but follows with some lovely fruit aroma. Grape, apple, pear, and candy sugar followed by a light but pleasant underpinning of citrus hops. The taste follows the aroma with a dusty, funky quality to open up. Next, I get some pungent citrusy hops and a little bit of fruity alcohol ester. Taste definitely packs a much bigger punch than the delicate, complex smell would indicate. Mouth is slightly over carbonated for my palate. Overall, this is an interesting beer and they definitely succeeded if they wanted to create a saison that carries many qualities of an ipa. Good hybrid beer.

4.05/5  rDev +2.5%

Half pour from a tap to a Palm goblet

A - very cloudy, deep orange amber as the sun comes through it. Almost no head and a ring of large bubbles around the perimeter, leaving little residue

S - sweet orange candy notes and and alcohol come first, with and underpinning of floral and pine hop presence

T - In reverse of the aroma the hops are at the fore here. Grapefruit and pine giving way to a bitter finish with hints of caraway

M - very bubbly, light feel initially, but then leaves a resiny hop coating in the mouth

O - Despite being aggressively hop flavored I found this beer dangerously drinkable. Then again I like hops.

590th Review on BA
Draft to Taster
@Bruery Provisions

App- Its a mix of orange and amber with a nice bit of bubbles to it. Even in a taster it was nice and clingy.

Smell- Smelled like a very citrusy DIPA. I got more fresh squeezed oranger juice with a little hops than any of the yeast of the saison

Taste- This is where it shined. It was simple, balanced and flavoful. The two flavors were paired in a way that each one shined on their own but were harmonious.

Mouth- Medium bodied and medium carbonated. left that orange juice flavor on the aftertaste.

Drink- It was too bad, I didnt see a bottle on the shelf. I wouldve grabbed one. Was a very easy drinking beer. Ill have to have this again.

4.33/5  rDev +9.6%

Rich hoppy saison, nice collaboration.

Presentation: 750 ml brown capped bottle. Dark cream toned label with baroque motives and brewer´s logos. Side narrative notes intent, main ingredients, and general characteristics. Lacks bottling or freshness date. Notes Alc. by Vol. (6.8%). Served in a tulip glass.

A - Hazy gold pour with a nice head, good retention and lacing.

S - Nice nose, hoppy touches of resin of a yeasty fruity touch.

T - Piney and grassy hops are nicely woven with a yeasty profile. Spicy and earthy hint.

M - Medium body with nice soft carbonation. Pleasing smooth ride with a nice dry finish.

O - Nicely rounded, a very quaffable hoppy saison.

Notes: Nice collab, feels a bit simple but there lies some of its beauty. Very drinkable, pleasing and a good offering to celebrate these brewers.

4.08/5  rDev +3.3%

I have to say when I saw a Stillwater beer on the shelf thursday,july 23rd I was pretty excited to begin with. I passed that night on the stateside saison and glad I did because the two beers I really wanted to try--Our Side and Cellar Door I tracked down the next night and glad they are now distributed into az. Our side is a hybrid between a saison and ipa so I was really excited to see how my favorite syle--ipa worked with a saison.

Appearance: This beer has a beautiful dark,golden, cloudy color with a nice big,pillow like head that forms instantly after pouring. I see lots of carbonation from the bottom that continues during the whole drink and never lets up.

Smell: Well this is one really interesting, smelling beers. Has lemon and pineapple on the nose initially followed by some slight orange and some herbal clove and coriander. I like how Stillwater's saisons are not so cloying strong on the herbal side which I have experienced so many times in the past and have somewhat shied from saisons for the most part until having this wonderful hybrid saison which I will definitely go buy some more before they are gone.

Taste: It starts out tasting definitely like a IPA and then slowing fades to the saison side. Nice citrus flavor up front followed by some herbal components like sage,clove and some coriander slightly. It has a little funky flavor to it as well like a sour does but its not in your face like some sours I have had.I get a pineapple taste as well when first drinking this. I love how it starts off fruity and then the saison components kick in and then ends a little bitter. You can definitely pick out the IPA parts that bring this saison to another level for me. It has a nice malt presence that makes this really easy to drink especially in the hot az summers. I need another style of beer to drink in the hot summers here and I think I finally have found my style of saison between this and the cellar door.

Mouthfeel: This is alot of carbonation here but it has a nice, silky feel to it that delivers the flavors in a real light way.

Overall: I love the fact that this saison is not cloyingly herbal with clove like so many other saison's I have tried. This beer is special to me. Its been a while since I have had a saison and this beer seems to have got me excited about Saison's again. I will have to review the Cellar Door which I really liked and would probably give the slight edge to Cellar Door although I really think this beer is special as well. Thank god Stillwater is being distributed here now. I have a new beer to drink in the hot az summers. Thank you Brian Strumke for getting together with Mikkeller and putting together a very memorable beer that I will seek out again. Do another collaboration with him please.

4.03/5  rDev +2%

750 ml bottle poured into Allagash chalice.

A: Pours a hazy, semi-opaque apricot with tangerine highlights. 2-finger rocky beige head with excellent retention.

S: Piney hops and fresh citrus fruits are strong. Biscuity malts are subtle but there. Smells very refreshing.

T: Herbal and spicy, with hops dominating the flavor profile. Bread and yeast are settled nicely in the middle, with a faint hint of citrus (not nearly as much as in the nose). Finishes pleasantly bitter with no detectable alcohol.

M: Medium-high carbonation takes helps this to cream up quickly, tantalizing the taste buds.

O: Was excited to try this, especially given my new-found love for Stillwater's excellent Cellar Door farmhouse ale. While I can't say this quite lives up to the beauty of that beer, it has a similar flavor profile, minus the white sage and with quite a bit less citrus; a very "American" saison given the hop presence. Still, Our Side is a pleasure to drink, and worth seeking out.

An excellent hoppy saison.

3.5/5  rDev -11.4%

Draft at Farmers' Cabinet.

Pours a hazy bright golden orange color with pale yellowish orange hues and a frothy two finger white head.  Good retention slowly fading to a lasting cap/ring that leaves rings and chunks of lace.

Slightly earthy aroma with subtle barnyard notes. Lots of bready yeast and crisp, light fruit.  Hints of orange and apple with subtle crisp hops, grass and straw.

Medium bodied and slightly creamy with a zesty, peppery spice presence up front that lingers into a slight dry finish.  Full bready yeast body with subtle earthy hops countering the saison yeast.  Hints of coriander, pepper and light fruit with lots of citrus/orange peel.

My first Stillwater beer to try.Poured into a large tulip glass a hazed orange infused golden with a large blooming head that took quite awhile to subside.Lemon verbina,phenolic spice (although light),and citrusy hops in the nose,all come together real well.Not much funk on the palate wich I am happy for, its mainly yeasty phenols,lemon oils,and sharp American hops.I like this beer I took a chance on it not knowing how I would like it,all in all its a nice subtley complex "American style" saison.

3.28/5  rDev -17%

Reddish orange color with huge white head with large bubbles. Smells mostly like typical saison yeasts. some fruity notes. taste is somewhat dry and ever slightly bitter with a little bit of saison in here. The taste is somewhat muddled and difficult to pick out, but still decent. Slightly funky taste, but not much else. Not getting any hop presence at all this with one.

Overall I have mixed feelings on this one. I can't pick out flavors or detect any complexity though I know I should. No offensive flavors, but having some issues figuring out what it going on here. Still, it's somewhat enjoyable so I can't completely kill it.

4.45/5  rDev +12.7%

750ml bottle at Teresa's Nest Door as well as a draft from Farmers Cabinet last week. Overall, the bottle has a more intense, saturated flavor and mouthfeel. I prefer the bottle, but both are great!

A: Transluscent Golden color with strong wheat starch haze. Pours a formidable head with some serious lasting power. Beautiful!

S: A perfect blend between floral/citrus American hops and a dominant yeast profile. A nice melon ester profile with bittering phenols.

T: Citrus, pine, and wine phenols up front. Many fruity flavors and esters on the finish. A very complex yeast character that few ales can achieve.

M: Full bodied with some nice strong hop bite. Strong level of bottle conditioned carbonation. Great!

O: The best American interpretation of a saison Ive ever had. A true treat.

Stillwater / Mikkeller Two Gypsies: Our Side from Stillwater Artisanal Ales