Stillwater / Brewer's Art Debutante - Stillwater Artisanal Ales

Stillwater / Brewer's Art DebutanteStillwater / Brewer's Art Debutante

Stillwater Artisanal Ales visit their website
Maryland, United States

Bière de Garde |  6.40% ABV

It’s my pleasure to present a collaboration with The Brewer’s Art. A Baltimore institution that helped to pioneer the Belgian beer movement in the States. Brewed with a combination of Spelt & Rye, accented with a blend of Heather, Honeysuckle, and Hyssop. The result is a rustic farmhouse ale displaying earthy tones & floral characteristics while maintaining intricate balance.

(Beer added by: StaEva on 06-14-2011)
3.25/5  rDev -15.1%

2.5/5  rDev -34.7%

4.5/5  rDev +17.5%

3.69/5  rDev -3.7%

4.1/5  rDev +7%

3.75/5  rDev -2.1%

4.25/5  rDev +11%

Awesome example of a bier de garde. I wish more people embraced these styles. Musty, spicy and lemon zest come through. Very crisp with high carbonation.

3.45/5  rDev -9.9%

3.6/5  rDev -6%

3.28/5  rDev -14.4%

3.96/5  rDev +3.4%

Pours a thin head on a hazy straw body.
The aroma has lots of honey and a nice floral smell.
The taste starts with a malty sweetness, moves to an even bigger honey sweetness, finishes with a mild lemon bitter note.
The texture is light and crisp.
It's on the sweet side for me but still tasty.

3.96/5  rDev +3.4%

I picked up a bottle of Stillwater's Debutante a couple weeks ago for $3.09 at Holiday Market. I'm a fan of Biere De Garde's and this one caught my eye and I thought I would take a chance on it, so lets see how it goes. No visible bottling date. Poured from a brown 12oz bottle into a tulip.

A- The label looks nice, I like the design and it's got that typical Stillwater style to it, it's a little eye catching. It poured a nice cloudy bright golden color that took on more of an apricot color when held to the light with just about two fingers worth of off white head that quickly died down to a thin ring that left a little bit of spotty lacing behind. This is pretty nice looking beer, but I wish it had some better head retention and lacing,

S- The aroma starts off with a slightly higher amount of medium sweetness with the yeast being the first to show up and it imparts some nice funky farmhouse aromas with some musty and wet straw like aromas coming through and it's followed by nice a fruity aroma with a lemon like aroma sticking out the most with some berry like aromas showing up in the background. Towards the end comes a light grainy, sweet malt and spelt like aroma along with some floral and grassy hop aromas. This beer had a good aroma that's pretty inline with the style.

T- The taste seems to be similar to the aroma, but just a little lighter and it starts off with a medium amount of sweetness with the yeast still being the first to show up and they impart the same funky farmhouse like aspects that they did in the aroma and they seem to be just a little lighter. Up next comes that nice fruity aspect that I got in the aroma, but this time it's the berry like aspects that stick out the most and they are followed by a light floral and grassy hop flavor. On the finish comes this nice yogurt like flavor that goes good with the berry aspect and a slightly higher amount of light bitterness with just a slight bit of tartness and it had a nice berry yogurt and farmhouse yeast like aftertaste. This was a good and unique tasting Biere De Garde, I like it.

M- Smooth, fairly crisp, slightly refreshing, a little dry on the finish, on the light side of being medium bodied with a medium amount of carbonation. This beer had a pretty nice mouthfeel that worked well with it.

Overall I thought this was a good beer and good example of the style, it had most of the aspects that I look for in the style while still being fairly unique and I thought that made this beer memorable. This beer had good drinkability, it was smooth, fairly crisp, slightly refreshing, a little dry on finish, not filling and the taste did a nice job at holding my attention, I think two or three of these would be my limit, it's pretty easy drinking and I think it makes for a nice Fall time beer. What I like the most about this beer was the taste, aroma and drinkability, they were all good and worked well with this beer. What I liked the least about this beer was the head retention, but in the end it wasn't that big of a deal. I would buy this beer again when in the mood for the style and I would recommend it to anyone who is a fan of the style. All in all I was happy with this beer, it was just a nice Biere De Garde and I enjoyed drinking it. It isn't my favorite of the style, but it was one of the better ones I'e had and it's one of the better beers I've had from Stillwater. Good job guys, this was a tasty beer that was a little unique, keep up the good work.

4.5/5  rDev +17.5%

Pours amber with a large fading head.
Nose shows bready malt, spicy farmhouse yeast and some soft grainy honey notes.
Flavours imitate a honey saison with amber malt. Some spicy hops and caramel. Finishes gently but well-balanced.

2.75/5  rDev -28.2%