Folklore - The Tale Of Van Winkle - Stillwater Artisanal Ales

Folklore - The Tale Of Van WinkleFolklore - The Tale Of Van Winkle

Stillwater Artisanal Ales visit their website
Maryland, United States

Belgian Strong Dark Ale |  8.40% ABV

(Beer added by: Huhzubendah on 08-17-2012)
Reviews by jacwomyn:

3.5/5  rDev -9.3%

3.5/5  rDev -9.3%

3.25/5  rDev -15.8%

2.5/5  rDev -35.2%

3.63/5  rDev -6%

Poured from the bottle into a snifter.

Appearance: Pours an almost opaque dark brown color with some red at the edges where the light hits the pour. There is a half finger of tan head that fades to a small layer on top of the pour.

Smell: There is a lot of bourbon here. Some dark fruit and a smokey note. I'm getting some pepper from the bourbon and some heat from the alcohol.

Taste: The bourbon definitely dominates this beer. Not a ton going on underneath. Peppery bourbon with some smoke and peat. There is some heat from the alcohol in the finish. There is also some dark fruit in the background.

Mouthfeel: The body is on the thin side with smooth carbonation and a dry finish.

Overall: This reminded me of watered down bourbon. The bourbon was the star, and it is really good. I enjoyed this beer, but I wouldn't want to buy another given the price.

2.83/5  rDev -26.7%

Was glad to finally find a bottle of this as I generally like Stillwater beers, and I love PvW.

Pours a deep dark brown bordering on black. Initial dark coffee colored head disappears quickly. Seems to have low carbonation.

Smell is bourbon forward. Alcohol, dark roast, lot of oak woodiness, slight coconut, but none of it is "shining" through, it's just sort of there.

Taste is mediocre. Base beer is not strong enough for the bourbon. It really is just a watered down bourbon beer. The pappy character that I've found stands out in other beers aged in those barrels is not present here at all. More like an Old Grand Dad bourbon flavor than Pappy if that makes sense.

Mouthfeel is where I think this beer gets dragged down a lot. This beer is bordering on flat after it sits in the glass for awhile. Very thin and watery. I get that this is not a stout, but whatever the base beer is simply not up to the task of carrying the bourbon.

Overall one of my bigger disappointments this year. I really wanted to like this beer, and perhaps my expectations were too high. I factor $$ into reviews as well, and when a 12.7 oz bottle cost $15 it needs to deliver better than avg in my mind. Unfortunately this beer does not and I can't recommend it. Pick up other Stillwater to try as I don't think this beer is a good representation of what you typically get.

2.95/5  rDev -23.6%

Bottle split with Amyliz4 and yourefragile at Of Love & Regret last night. Served in stemware. Pours nearly ink-jet black with a few bubbles of a head that quickly recede. The nose carries loads of whiskey. It’s a nice whiskey, but there’s nothing else really below it. I wouldn’t be able to say whether the base was a black saison, imperial stout, or whatever else had I not already known. The same goes for the flavor. Body is a bit hot, but not beyond the 8.4%. Overall, this really just tastes like watered down whiskey with a bit of carbonation. I think this could have turned out much better if it were blended back quite a bit.

3.25/5  rDev -15.8%

3.85/5  rDev -0.3%

12.7 oz bottle, no bottled-on date, poured into a snifter.

A- Pours black with a finger of brown head, very good retention for a big stout, leaves spotty lacing.

S- Very barrel-forward, lots of boozy whiskey, some vanilla as well as chocolate and roasted malt.

T- Similar to the nose, very barrel-forward with lots of whiskey and wood. Some vanilla and chocolate on the back end along with a crispy fruity flavor. Not as boozy as the aroma would suggest. As it warms the chocolate and malt flavors really come out.

M- Medium body, maybe a bit thin, has a smooth feel with decent carbonation.

O- A solid BA stout but nothing outstanding, my first from Stillwater.

3.15/5  rDev -18.4%

On tap at Max's the other day. One of only two sixtels, according to Casey at Max's.

The beer pours a blackish brown color with almost no head or lacing to speak of. The beer appears to be practically still, something I was not expecting. Don't get a lot on the nose initially (the beer was served VERY cold), but as it warmed, I picked up an attractive aroma of dark chocolate, light vanilla, light bourbon and a hint of underlying spice. As the beer warmed some more, I picked up a slightly nutty sherry aroma as well, that was attractive (there seemed to be something of an oxidized component to this beer). Alas, this was to be as good as things would get with this beer. Upon tasting this beer, my immediate reaction was WTF!!! The beer tasted flat, and not in a good way (it had all the hallmarks of a beer that had been left out sitting too long), with a thin mouthfeel and short finish. Given the abv., I was surprised by how light and simple the flavor profile was. While I got some chocolate, vanilla and bourbon, the flavors tended to fade very quickly, and it just seemed as if something was missing from this beer. On the bright side, the alcohol seemed pretty well integrated into the flavor profile.... no one would call this beer hot or heavy. Also, aside from something of an oxidized, old aged ale flavor to this beer as it warmed, I picked up a light sour component as well. This beer is just odd.

Like a lot of folks at Max's this past Sunday, this beer was the primary reason I came down at 10:00 in the morning. I knew it would be expensive (that goes with the territory with Stillwater beers, especially the barrel aged ones), but I was hoping the beer would be so special, it would be worth it ($10 for a 6 ounce pour at Max's). So to say I was a bit disappointed in this beer would be an understatement. Very, very glad I didn't purchase any bottles of this stuff (they were available at Max's for $20 for an 11.2 ounce bottle).

Folklore - The Tale Of Van Winkle from Stillwater Artisanal Ales