Classique - Stillwater Artisanal Ales

ClassiqueClassique

Stillwater Artisanal Ales visit their website
Maryland, United States

Saison / Farmhouse Ale |  4.50% ABV

(Beer added by: Thorpe429 on 03-13-2013)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Classique Alström Bros

Lehighace06, Today at 03:20 AM

Nichols33, Sunday at 11:03 PM
4.21/5  rDev +8.5%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

A Stillwater beer in a can! Canned 06/16/14. Tasted 21 November 2014.

Pours a hazy golden straw yellow, just a touch of orange. 1.5 fingers of white head, good retention, nice peninsulas of lacing reaching up the glass.

Smell is outstanding. Super bright, fruity and floral, glowing with saison yeast spark. Sweet oranges, flowers, and zippy spice in the background. Brings all the characteristics I want from a saison, in spades.

Taste is not what I expected. It's clean and crisp, with some juicy melony goodness, and a whole lot of spice. But primarily it's dry and clean, like a well-crafted pale ale. The yeast just brings accents to dance on that platform.

Feel is delightful. Light body, buzzy carbonation that melds perfectly with the spice.

This reminds me of a heavily dry-hopped APA. It's powerful in the nose, and clean, dry, and spicy in the mouth. It's just that the smells are yeast instead of hops, and the taste has spice instead of mild hop bite. A fantastic beer, and unlike any I've had before.

zeledonia, Saturday at 03:56 AM

Sarmento, Nov 13, 2014
4.4/5  rDev +13.4%

Bernie_Mizer, Nov 13, 2014
3.83/5  rDev -1.3%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

I picked up a can of Stillwater Artisanal Ale's Classique a couple weeks ago for $2.19 at Holiday Market. I've been meaning to try this one, but I haven't see it around lately so when I saw It I knew I had to take a chance on it, so lets see how it goes. Bottled on 8/29/14. Poured from a 12oz can into a snifter.

A- The can looks nice, it's got a unique design to and I think it's eye catching. It poured a nice brighter yellow color that took on more of a golden color when held to the light with three fingers of fluffy white head that died down to a thin ring that stayed till the end and it left lots of patchy lacing behind. This is a very nice looking Saison, I have no complaints.

S- The aroma starts off with a medium amount of sweetness with that Saison yeast being the first to show up and it imparts some spicy and estery aromas that lead right into a nice fruity aroma with some pears, green apple and lemon like aromas coming through with the pear aromas seeming to stick out the most. Up next comes some earthy, grassy, and wet straw like aromas with just a slight grainy aroma coming through. This beer had a good aroma that was true to style.

T- The taste seems to be similar to the aroma, but not as fruity and it starts off with a lower amount of sweetness with that Saison yeast still being the first to show up and they impart the same aspects that they did in the aroma with the spicy and estery yeast flavors sticking out the most and the fruity aspects just barley show up in the background and it's hardly noticeable. Up next comes a light grainy flavor followed by some grassy and earthy flavors with just a slight wet straw flavor. On the finish there's a lower amount of medium bitterness with a Saison yeast like aftertaste. This was a pretty nice tasting Saison, but I wish more of that fruitiness carried over from the aroma and that the bitterness was toned down.

M- Fairly smooth, crisp, fairly clean, dry, on the thicker side of being light bodied with a slightly higher amount of medium carbonation. The mouthfeel was pretty nice, but I wish it was just a little smoother.

Overall I thought this was a nice beer and I thought it was a pretty nice example of the style, but it did have a couple aspects that held it back from being a pretty good example of the style, but other than that it had pretty much all the aspects that I would expect from the style. This beer had ok drinkability, it was fairly smooth, crisp, fairly clean, dry, not too filing and the taste did an ok gob at holding my attention, I think one or two is enough for me, anymore than that and the bitterness might really start to wear on me. What I like the most about this beer was how true to style it was, it had pretty much all the aspects that I look for in the style. What I liked the least about this beer was the bitterness and that more fruit flavors didn't carry over from the aroma, those and the smoothness are the only aspects that I would change. I might buy this beer again and I wouldn't turn one down, I think it makes for a nice warm weather beer and I think it's worth a try for anyone who is a fan of the style. All in all I liked this beer, but I didn't love and I think with just a little work this could be a very nice Saison. It's not my favorite Stillwater beer or Saison, but it's far from my least favorite in both categories. Nice job guys this was a pretty solid Saison, keep up the solid work.

StoutHunter, Nov 10, 2014
3.51/5  rDev -9.5%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

Foams out of the can when opened. Large, frothy white head. It takes two pours from the 12 oz can into the 20 oz glass. Some chunky spots remain on the glass as it slowly recedes lumpily. The liquid is cloudy gold.

Mild aroma of mostly fresh grain. A bit sour.

Sour and peppery are my first impressions of this beer. The aftertaste is more of the same, but it doesn't last long. A bit thin on the body, but the high carbonation exacerbates the mouth feel.

smcolw, Nov 09, 2014

RavenForBeer, Nov 05, 2014
3.45/5  rDev -11.1%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

12oz can I to snifter. Thanks for the extra AutumnBeerLove!

A: Pours a clear light golden with a huge, thick, three fingers of bright white head that slowly bubbled away into a dense film. Spotty lace was left down the glass.
S: Light nose with a clean bready grain bill and tons of peppery spice. Notes of earth and mint chewing gum come through as well.
T: Dry and crackery grains up front, with herbal hops, and earthy, peppery yeast in the finish. Slight hints of bubblegum and sweet stone fruit. Fresh cut yard trimmings and lemon zest in the finish. The aftertaste is very grassy and has a nice vegetal bitterness to it.
M: Medium-light body, drying, bitter, and crisp mouthfeel, and bubbly and splashy carbonation.
O: A clean and easy saison. Definitely light, like a pale saison. Flavor was good but didn't reinvent the wheel. Solid. Thanks again Kevin.

scottfrie, Nov 02, 2014

ToddGingerich, Oct 30, 2014

thatoneguymike, Oct 29, 2014

etmur007, Oct 28, 2014
4.15/5  rDev +7%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

This was a hazy golden color with lots of suspended particulate, is can conditioning a thing? it poured with a fast living but short-lived bone whitehead.

Not much of an aroma coming out of the glass, some barnyard grass, a little lemon, and lightly tart grains. Lots more going on flavor-wise. This is incredibly dry overall and very refreshing. Pithy lemons and tart, earthy grains are prominent. There is also a layer of zestier, fresher tasting lemon. Grassy bitterness and light lingering clove round things out. There was more to pick out here, but sadly my glass was empty far too quickly. I don't think I spent 15 minutes on this one. The mouthfeel is (was) light, spritzy, and refreshing.

I'm looking for a case of this next summer.

DIM, Oct 26, 2014
3.5/5  rDev -9.8%

Interesting beer -- tart, clean, refreshing -- but somehow it feels a little disjointed. Unique with some lemon rind, grassy and mineral notes, and dry and bitter finish. I miss getting a little more from the yeast, given the style. Might pair really well with some fine cheese.

Taybeh, Oct 26, 2014