Lil' SIPA - Rivertown Brewing Co.

Lil' SIPALil' SIPA

good

Rivertown Brewing Co. visit their website
Ohio, United States

Beer added by: BB1313 on 01-16-2014

Reviews by woodychandler:
3.59/5  rDev +3.8%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

I CAN't quite remember where this one came from, but I am going to guess Another6Pack, since he is a regular CANtributor to The CANQuest (TM), plus he lives in MichiCAN and this came from Ohio.

From the CAN: "Session India Pale Ale"; "Hand crafted in small batches Est 2009 Cincinnati, OH"; "A session IPA"; "A delicious India Pale Ale, with crisp body and bright hop flavor and aroma. This beer is our perfect end to a hard day's work."

Maybe I should have Cracked! this open right after I got home, but I wanted to watch some Game 7 playov hockey and so I took a nap instead. I had good results with my earlier gentle Glug, especially coming out of these tallboy CANs, so I decided to CANtinue the trend. I got a brief finger of thin, bone-white head that quickly reduced to wisps as a result. CAN't win 'em all, I suppose. Color was a beautiful golden-yellow (SRM = > 4, < 5) with NE-quality clarity and of course the unholy trio of Midas, Mammon and Croesus showed up to wrestle amongst themselves for a taste. I learned a long time ago to leave them to their own devices. Nose was a muted grapefruit-citrus, leading me to wonder if AIPAs are a good idea for session beers. I am unCANvinced as I like my hops big and in my face. Mouthfeel was slightly on the thin side, reinforcing my questioning of this version of the style. The taste was unbalanced, very hop-forward and quite grapefruit-citrusy, but I did not mind that at all. SIPA as a pun on "sipper"? Not hardly. I was drinking this one down like water. The finish was semi-dry and easily drinkable. I am not a huge fan of low ABV AIPAs, but this would do in a pinch, especially if you are in the market for a session beer. Me = usually not. (1,711 characters)

3.52/5  rDev +1.7%

3.81/5  rDev +10.1%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

3.75/5  rDev +8.4%

This "little sipper" is an extremely muddled medium-dark yellow with a frothy pure white head that keeps up a full finger's height for a while before condensing to a thick foam that manages good patching.
Hops are a bit cheddary to the nose, then come in with a musky, dank sort of smell that makes me wonder if any Simcoe was used. Some citrus comes in underneath, with maybe a touch of dry malt to even and finish it out.
While I appreciate the hop-forward nature of the flavor, just a little more malt is necessary to achieve the balance it could have against the strong pith and chalky dry bitterness. That is eased by some juicy grapefruit, then a woody and resinous element pulls in. It's more lemony as it goes, and some herb runs in, too.
I didn't find the body to be terribly thin, but it runs that way at the end of each sip when the biting crispness beginning it dies off. It's a dry beer for sure, not so strong as to scrape the tongue, but close. It finishes with a grainy sort of texture before more dryness lingers. (1,035 characters)

2.72/5  rDev -21.4%

3.6/5  rDev +4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Enjoyed from the can in a pint glass. Ale pours a lightly hazy yellow with firm white head and later thin pooling foam. Nose of bitter and citrus hops, light caramel malts, and a hint of lemon grass. Flavors are bittering hops up front, light caramel malts to the sides, and citrus hops to the rear that leaves a bitter aftertaste. Very crisp and wet on the mouth feel. Bittering hops linger on and on. Good session IPA. Rivertown is a newer brewer in Cincinnati that has some solid brews, and for a session IPA this of is solid. (536 characters)

4.25/5  rDev +22.8%

3.23/5  rDev -6.6%

Huge thanks to Alanna and Richard for getting me this brew!

A: Pale yellow pear in color, a low amount of white head on top.

S: Hoptacular! Grapefruit, orange peel and pine.

T: Lightly hoppy, with notes of grapefruit, and orange peel, the finish turns a little towards the resinous side. I wish there was a little more malt presence. While this is a nice light session beer, it comes off a little watery.

M: Light, and refreshing with high carbonation. There is a little linger in the finish from the hops.

O: I like the hop profile, just wish there was more malt. The balance is a little off, and it comes off as watery. (630 characters)

3.25/5  rDev -6.1%

3.68/5  rDev +6.4%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

3.02/5  rDev -12.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3

3.5/5  rDev +1.2%

Lil' SIPA from Rivertown Brewing Co.