Helles Lager - Rivertown Brewing Co.

Helles LagerHelles Lager

Rivertown Brewing Co. visit their website
Ohio, United States

Munich Helles Lager |  5.30% ABV

(Beer added by: brewdlyhooked13 on 03-04-2010)
Reviews by misterkew:
3.25/5  rDev -5%

3.25/5  rDev -5%

3.53/5  rDev +3.2%

Since I got smart and stopped drinking American macros, I've stopped enjoying this style of beer for the looks alone. Pours a dull gold. Not quite as clear as I'd have guessed, but something you can still see through. The head is bright white, a finger thick, and has only moderate retention. Attractive lace forms when swirled.

The smell was slightly complex, which was welcomed. Biscuity nose with some savory character, as well as the faintest touch of lemon.

Strong taste in that it's not watered down, malty backbone with an Earthy flavor before the hops add some savory citrus to the swallow.

Would be great in the summer, but it's cold out and it's still got a nice feel on the palate. Aggressive, crisp, flowery notes from beginning to end, with a bit of malty sweetness for balance. Crisp, acidic finish.

Overall, it's much better than I expected. More ABV would be a nice addition, but I didn't hate this and that's praise coming from me.

thanks bamadog!

pours a very light copper. very clean and pure. light fizzy white head that disappeared quickly. no retention which bummed me out.

up front, strong biscuit and bread with faint crisp floral pilsner hops.

lots of malt flavor but in a light way. light crisp flowery hops to balance this out. very clean and a great malty aftertaste.

a bit thin but the moderate carbonation fills it out.

this is very drinkable. i enjoyed this, very balanced, although could use a bit more dominating flavors. this would be a wonderful summer beer.

4.13/5  rDev +20.8%

Call me a homer, but I really enjoyed this brew.
A: Poured a golden/straw color into my pilsner glass with a very thin head. Little to no lacing. Beautiful.
S: Not much in the aromatic department, but I can pick up on a little of the hops.
T: Nice balance between the hops and malt. Neither is overpowering and they play well off of each other. For lager, it's has distinct flavor that's hard to place.
M: Medium carbonation but oh so crisp and refreshing, flavor remains for just a bit after sipping.
D: Due to the great taste and easy going body of this beer, this is definitely session worthy.

3.63/5  rDev +6.1%

12 ounce bottle, single bottle bought for $1.59. Served in a pilsener glass, the beer pours a slightly hazy light gold color with about a half inch white head. The head retention is good, but there isn't much lacing left on the glass. The aroma is a little light overall, the brew smells like bready malt, sweet malt and a bit of grassy hops. It mostly tastes like grain/bready malt, along with some light grassy hops and lemon peel. Mouthfeel/body is light/medium, it's nice and crisp with good carbonation. It's also easy to drink. I think it's a solid overall brew, it's nice and enjoyable to drink, and definitely worth trying.

3.93/5  rDev +14.9%

A: A slightly hazy pale yellow in color. The head is white, fluffy and very plentiful. Very nice, with a long lasting head.

S: There is a light fruit fragrance, as well as a sweet bread note. The fruity fragrance reminds me of a sweeter sparkling wine.

T: Crisp with a nice light fruity flavor. There is a cracker, or bread taste to this that I like a lot. The finish has a bitter hoppy flavor that I think balances the sweetness.

M: Medium in body, actually a touch thicker than I would imagine. The carbonation is fairly high and appropriate to the style.

O: Overall quite nice, something that is crisp and easy drinking. I would certainly choose this of the plethora of other lager options which flood our markets these days.

1.5/5  rDev -56.1%

3.85/5  rDev +12.6%

Appearance: Clean and clear. Light straw yellow color. Big, frothy white head.

Smell: Grainy and lightly sweet aroma. Low noble hop scents and no detectable DMS.

Appearance: Clean and clear. Light straw yellow color. Big, frothy white head.

Taste: Strong pils-malt grain character. Spiciness of noble hops is present but no overwhelming bitterness is evident. Clean and crisp with slightly sweet finish.

Mouthfeel: Light body with high carbonation.

Overall: Really delicious Helles Lager. Slightly sweet with a underlying noble hop bitterness/spiciness. Very clean, crisp and refreshing beer, however with a bit too high carbonation for my taste. True German-Pils malts are prominently displayed.

A very pleasant Helles - crisp, bright malt body with a bit of toasted biscuit in the malt. A touch of grassyness with hints of lemon. Easygoing character makes for a good session candidate. I'd like to see this brewery get a bit wider distribution.

3.54/5  rDev +3.5%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

I got a bottle of Rivertown's Helles lager a couple weeks ago from my cousin Adam. I've never had anything from Rivertown before and they don't distribute to Michigan, so I was happy when my cousin gave me a couple bottles to try out, so lets see how it goes. No visible bottling date. Poured from a shorter brown 12oz bottle into an imperial pint glass.

A- The label looks nice, it has a nice city scene in the background, but it's not that eye catching. It poured a slightly cloudy straw yellow color that took on a golden hue when held to the light with two fingers worth of white head that died down to a thin ring that stayed till the end and didn't really leave any lacing behind. This is a nice looking beer, but it's a little cloudy for the style.

S- The aroma starts off with a slightly higher amount of medium sweetness followed by a good amount of malts that impart some sweet, grainy and slight biscuit like aromas with some bready aromas sticking out the most that are very similar to a slice of white bread. Up next comes a very light amount of spicy hops that are barely detectable. The aroma was nice, but I think a little more hop aroma would help balance it out a little.

T- The taste seems to be very similar to the aroma and it starts off with a medium amount of sweetness followed by loads of bready malts that impart a flavor that reminds me of Wonder Bread. Up next comes some doughy yeast flavors followed by a light amount of spicy hops. On the finish there's pretty much no bitterness just a little more sweetness with a very white bread like aftertaste that seems to stick around for a while. This was a nice tasting Helles Lager, but I thought it could use just a little more balance.

M- Very smooth, clean, pretty crisp, a little dry, on the slightly thicker side of being light bodied, with a slightly higher amount of medium carbonation. The mouthfeel was nice and I think it worked well with this beer.

Overall I thought this was a nice beer and it's an above average example of the style, the malts were very bready and it had the signature spicy hops, but I think they were just a little light for the style. This beer had good drinkability, it was pretty smooth, clean, not filling, and the flavors did a decent job at holding my attention, I wouldn't have a problem drinking a few of these and it makes for a nice beer to enjoy on those hot summer afternoons. What I liked the most about this beer was the appearance and mouthfeel they were both pretty nice. What I liked the least about this beer was the balance, I feel like a little more spicy hops would help make this truer to style and balance out all those bready malts. I would order a pint or two of this at a bar, but I don't think I would get a six pack of it and I recommend to anyone who likes easy drinking Lagers. All in all I enjoyed this beer, it was a nice easy drinking lager, but Hofbräu Original is still my favorite of the style, i think it's more balanced than this beer and it does a better job at showcasing those spicy hop flavors. This made for a decent first impression for Rivertown and i'm interested in checking out more of their beers. Thanks a lot Adam.

3.55/5  rDev +3.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

This one pours a very light and moderately clear faint gold in color with a light white lacing around the glass. When it first poured it even resembled a chardonnay. It eventually gained a light cloudiness. It smells of pilsner malt with a light sweet malty finish. It's moderately grainy. Upon my first whiff I even thought I got some ever so light white grape. Interesting and light. It drinks very clean and light and has moderate carbonation. Overall this one is okay, and I like when American breweries cover this style, but this one doesn't separate itself from the others.

3.5/5  rDev +2.3%

Poured from a bottle into a mug.

Appearance: Clear golden copper color with lots of carbonation. It has a white head that seems to last.

Smell: Floral hops smell is kind of faint. Also has a slightly sweet grassy aroma.

Taste: Initially it is crisp and clean. I get the floral hops throughout and it finishes with a mild bitterness.

Mouthfeel: It has a smooth crispness with mild carbonation. Goes down easy with a slight bitterness that is refreshing.

Overall: Decent beer. It seems a little watered down but has a nice overall flavor. I had a really hard time pouring this beer, there was a lot of carbonation. I would like to try again.

3.3/5  rDev -3.5%
look: 2.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.25

*Edit, 04/26/12* - I realize now that I was a little too harsh on this, as I was unfairly expecting a hoppy German-style pils. After doing some more research on the Helles style and having another bottle of the same brew, I've decided to re-review.

12 oz. bottle poured into a pilsner glass.

Deep straw golden body with a short-lived head of foam that leaves no lacing behind. Carbonation dies down. Maybe if the brewery put a BOTTLING DATE on their merch, I would be able to tell how fresh this is, riiight?! Anyway, looks mediocre in the glass. Meh.

While the appearance and label alone would lead one to think of a fairly hopped pilsner, the Helles is more malt-forward. There's plenty of bready malt backed by a touch of roasty caramel and grain aroma. There is a subtle spicy/floral hop presence to support the malt presence here. I do, for some reason, pick up quite a bit of buttery/diacetyl aroma, but my nose may not be totally accurate. Fairly nice overall, and a nice mild smell to this lager.

A big dash of grainy, bready sweetness washes over the tongue with some caramel on the middle of the tongue. I'm still picking up the buttery flavor, which is a little offputting in this otherwise solid brew. There is a nice presence of spicy/floral hops on the finish that linger without overstaying their welcome. Pretty nice balance, and a rather tasty and refreshing brew.

Refreshing mouthfeel with crisp carbonation and a dry finish with subtle hop presence. Pretty refreshing brew.

While not as hoppy and dry as I'm used to for German-style lagers (e.g., pilsners), this was a nice break. Rivertown makes very solid attempts at traditional European styles, and the Helles is no exception... I'd rather have a pilsner, though. But a refreshing, malt-forward brew overall.

1.85/5  rDev -45.9%
look: 2.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1.5

Poured into an A-B flute on 1/10/12

Timid, watery, faded manner of golden yellow so wimpy it looks artificial. I got to spend some time describing the color while the four inches of eruptive foam calmed down (took its merry time, too). Uneven wave of retention and a couple globs of lace.

The aroma doesn't seem so bad; perhaps even pleasant - prairie grass, damp pollen, clean grains and hints of mild spice. There's a lemon grass element as well, but I'm concerned the lemon smells too... pungent.

Sip. Hmm. Not good. Thin. Over-carbonated. The taste is that of what I can only describe as burned prairie grass and such. Like when the teenagers got bored and stopped by OSUM. Tart lemon, dull grain, metallic hops. There is a skeevy dirtiness on that back end that puts shame to the term "off flavor." It gets worse as it warms. Yuck.

I don't know how, but it feels like my mouth has turned to a smoldering ember after each drink. WTF?

3.55/5  rDev +3.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

A- Pours a clear golden color with a thick white foam that leaves decent lacing.

S- The nose is mostly cooked cereal and straw with some malt sweetness. Hard to describe, but it smells "clean".

T- Very plain, but not in a bad way. Clean upfront with a touch of bitterness and a sweet malt finish with hardly any alcohol. Biscuits and lightly toasted grains.

M- Light bodied with nice carbonation.

O- Overall a very easy drinking beer that was a touch boring but still solid.

3.83/5  rDev +12%

Appearance - decent bright golden straw color, a brief fizzy head disappears quick but manages to leave a few swaths of lace on the glass.

Aroma - a touch of grain sweetness, pilsnery hops too. Fresh and as it should smell.

Taste - crackery malts open up, again with an element of sweetness but not overdone. The hops are moderate, not very bitter, but assertive just the same. They do a great job of balancing up to the swallow. They resolve to a little more pils (Saaz?) bitterness on the swallow, even a flint or gunpowder kind of note. Leaves some nice flavor balance on the finish. Very authentic stuff, Zinzinnati OFest bound I believe.

Mouthfeel - crispness is the most notable thing here. The body is lagerishly smooth without being too heavy. 3.5

Drinkability - a nicely done Helles. Ought to hold its own come warmer climes and should taste just as good if the Cincinnati heat gets to it a bit, though mine is steadily disappearing.

3.75/5  rDev +9.6%

Helles Lager from Rivertown Brewing Co.