Hop Baron Double Down IPA - Rivertown Brewing Co.

Hop Baron Double Down IPAHop Baron Double Down IPA

good

good

Rivertown Brewing Co. visit their website
Ohio, United States

(Beer added by: ltjska04 on 08-06-2010)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Hop Baron Double Down IPA Alström Bros

vanillacokaine, Dec 11, 2012
4.75/5  rDev +35.7%

Deanstreat, Nov 20, 2012
4.25/5  rDev +21.4%

I was down in Cincinnati this past weekend as my brother graduated college from University of Cincinnati. So Saturday afternoon after the graduation ceremony we headed over The Party Source right across the river in Kentucky. I purchased a 4 pack of this, among other things that I can't get here in Cleveland, and some beers I can't get in Ohio at all. Poured into my tulip glass, this beer pours a nice medium golden/amber color with a bit of an orange hue and lots of bubbles constantly streaming up from the bottom to the top of the glass. The nice foamy white head is about half an inch thick when poured and settles to a good 1/4 inch thick, eventually finally settling to a nice very thick ring lining the inside of the glass. Good retention. Pretty good lace started to form after taking a sip or two. Has a nice caramel malt and pine citrus hop aromas. Has a good fairly bitter citrus and piney hop flavor upfront that gives way to a nice bready, chewy caramel malt sweetness. The flavors do balance out a bit more as the beer warms up a bit, but the citrus and piney hops do tend to dominate, which is as it should be with a Double IPA! has a crisp, smooth, sort of oily medium to full bodied mouthfeel with moderate carbonation. This one really coats the inside of the mouth quite a bit! Easy to drink in the way good beer like this should be. A very good effort here!

Eric

neenerzig, Dec 14, 2011

ryancorn, Apr 07, 2012

Hanselpb, Jul 14, 2013

Chris77McGrath, Aug 05, 2013

Lukass, Apr 14, 2013
4.03/5  rDev +15.1%

Deep copper with different shades at various points of light. Small light crimson head holds long retention as a topper. No lace.

Nice nose of citrus, floral notes, toffee, biscuit, grapefruit, orange, lime, some fussel alcohol aromas, and hints of peach, and apricot.

Quite a nice beer, this is the new hopped version and it shows. Good balance of caramel, toffee, biscuit malts and grapefruity, stone fruit, floral earthy hops. Lots going on. Nice bitterness on the finish with snappy carbonation and a brisk acidity.

Rich creamy mouthfeel in the mid palate that turns more rounded on the finish. Very nice.

mcallister, May 26, 2011

mcorwin, Nov 29, 2011

rxthree, Dec 29, 2011

craftbrew502, May 20, 2013
3.93/5  rDev +12.3%

A: A pale to medium amber, white head, but it doesn't stick around for too long.

S: Hops up front. Grassy with citrus, especially grapefruit. Slightly piney. Smells nice.

T: Hops are right up front. Piney and oily, nice flavor. There is a nice sweetness in the finish, perhaps from the malt. There is a little bit of caramel in there.

M: Medium in body, but the heavy side of medium. Carbonation works for the style.

D: Pretty good, though not my favorite of the style. Still, glad to see a local pushing the boundaries and trying new styles. Good, but not amazing.

Beejay, Aug 16, 2010
3.9/5  rDev +11.4%

Not a bad brew, whatsoever. Served into a Saison Dupont ~12 oz. glass. Amber in color, with a little less than a fingers head. Nice tight carbonation around ring of glass.

Aroma was of orange rind, pine, and somewhat raisin.

Taste is piney, more of the orange bitter, wet and oily, yet super drinkable.

As beer warms up, malt becomes more noticeable. The 103+ IBUs are up front, which slightly slope away, with oily citrus there in the middle, followed by a faint woody, bready malt presence, and satisfactory bitter finish.

Drank this one pretty damn fast. Bitter was never biting, and beer was rather enjoyable. Not sure when I'll pick this up again, because at 8.5% abv, I surely wouldn't session this one.

Not bad, though. Try it. It's a rather approachable DIPA I could see my less hop-inclined friends enjoying.

*I don't like to try and get into detail about the color of the beer or head because I am color blind (not fully, but to the point where I can't differentiate purple from blue and brown, red and green from one another). But, if I had a guess, this was a medium tan head, with the beer itself appearing a pretty clear amber.

rangel2, Oct 10, 2011
3.88/5  rDev +10.9%

Clear, honey amber with a smallish, creamy tan head. Caramel malt and orange with a touch of pine in the nose. A good tasting beer with plenty of balance between citrusy hops and carmel. Candied orange peel and toffee some to mind. Medium bodied and slightly syrupy in the finish. A fine beer but not really what I expected witha name like "Hop Baron", a maltier than most take on the style.

biggred1, Aug 25, 2011
3.88/5  rDev +10.9%

Poured into my bells two hearted glass. Thanks to gcurlow for both! Aroma is sweet and malty with a small hint of floral citrus hops. Taste is sweet malts and then followed by a hoppy bitterness. mouthful is resinous and sweet. Overall I this is another beer I would love to try on tap, with some pizza while wat king some ufc.

stabzmcgee, Nov 10, 2011
3.88/5  rDev +10.9%

Pours a text book- amber golden with a solid topping of beige/tan head.
Smell is cirtusy with some nice crisp hoppy notes.
Taste is quick with its flowery/citrus flavor- but it checks out quickly- a little malt on a back end.
Finish is a quick jab of hops with some citrus and malt left on the back of my palate.
Drinks great- very crisp and refreshing- completely hides a 8.5 punch.

ThaBobfather, Sep 14, 2010
3.83/5  rDev +9.4%

I came across this beer at the Party Source this week and it caught me totally off guard. I can't find any mention of it anywhere, but alas, here it is in my Perfect Pint glass. I'm not sure what the availability is going to be, but I'm happy to finally see a Cincinnati brewery take on a bigger style like this.

This beer is an extremely clear golden orange and pours with a half-finger of head that quickly falls into a ring around the glass. Carbonation bubbles float lazily from the bottom. The smell on this is very nice; grapefruit and citrus up front and more sweet malt as it breathes a bit.

As I took my first sip I was ready for a bitter smack across the face and all I got was a little tap. Where did all the hops from the smell go? There's a bit of hop flavor at first but further sips find the hops getting covered up by sweet maltiness. Damn, I was really hoping for big hop flavor here. There's a little lingering bitterness in the finish but the hops are pretty weak in the taste for an IIPA.

The mouthfeel is pretty much spot on. Carbonation is just right and the beer feels smooth going down. Drinkability is pretty good; you don't taste the 8.5% but can start to feel it halfway through. At $3 a bottle this isn't a bad value but I had high hopes for this that it didn't quite reach. I'm still looking for that killer Cincy beer.

ltjska04, Aug 06, 2010
3.8/5  rDev +8.6%

Appearance - pours a deep honey-gold with a finger of manila foam. Decent stick and fairly good resilience, holding at a thin but full cover.

Aroma - very light layer of caramel malt aroma, covered by piny zesty hops. The hoppiness backs off a bit on setup, showing more malt than I'd expect in DIPA.

Taste - good presence of sweet crackery malts. Big hops, grapefruit rind, light pine oils. The abv comes across a bit hot, downplaying the hops a bit. This is a well-balanced double IPA! Not over the top bitterness, I dig the balance. Ends with some decent drying bitterness and hoppy aftertaste.

Mouthfeel - lightly smooth, not a big body for the style.

Drinkability - very tasty brew, though the hopheads might consider this a DIPA-light due its lack of tongue-scraping bitterness. I like it though.

brewdlyhooked13, Aug 24, 2011
3.78/5  rDev +8%

I have to put it out there... why is this a screw cap?! Not only is it the bottle type of horrible macro breweries but I also cannot reuse it for my home brews!

Hop Baron pours a clear copper with a small white head into a standard pint glass. I was surprised to read people saying their was cloudy... I can see right through this.

I get caramel malts up front, sweet fruits, yeast, and a bit of sour cherry. I expected more citrus or pine in the nose from the hops but it smells like the hops came in early and not dry hopped.

Bitter up front. I am guessing the majority of the 120 minute boil included hops. I still dont get a lot of flavor from them. I get caramel malts and a bit boozy (in a good way). The more it warms up the more I get a faint hint of some piney resin. This is flavorful but I expected more hops.

Medium bodied, nice mouth coating, and good carbonation.

Overall this is one of the better brews I have had from our hometown Rivertown guys. It was a single so I dont have another right now to compare it to but I like their attempt at a big beer.

phiberoptik, Jul 20, 2011
3.75/5  rDev +7.1%

bleedblue9150, Aug 08, 2014
3.75/5  rDev +7.1%

Poured into a snifter on 9/27/10

Burnt amber in color with golden edged highlights. At first I didn't think much head would manifest, though over one finger rose toward the end of the pour. Very bubbly retention holds. Decent lace at the onset, though it gets spotty.

Seemingly undergoing a transformation, the aroma initially struck me as floral, herbal & solvent-like. Additional considerations find suggestions of citrus hops (lemon & grapefruit). The solvency remains, albeit to a lesser degree. A touch of pine. Malts are maybe a bit too prominent with notes of bread, caramel & a hint of sugar cookie. Kind of an all-around weird aroma.

A multi-faceted wave of hops strikes the tongue up front. Pine, grapefruit, lemon zest, floral hints & herbal wisps, all with a solvent twinge. I find the taste much more impressive than the aroma, especially in the hops category. There's a good amount of bitterness to offset the malts which, though quite apparent, aren't really out of place for the style. There's some of the aforementioned sugar cookie sweetness that tugs at the bitterness.

Medium, maybe full bodied; somewhere in that spectrum. Carbonation is average for the style & seems appropriate for this beer. The solvency fades some as the beer warms. Though it isn't hot, there is some inherit warming. The finish is kind of odd; bitterness quickly concedes to the sweetness, which lingers.

I'll admit to being skeptical based on the nose. Regardless, I've found Hop Baron to be enjoyable; I'm glad I picked up a bottle (maybe two would have been better?). Cheers to Rivertown for some reasonably solid work on this one.

My cause for concern - this was $2.99 for a 12oz. bottle (I only saw them sold as singles). That price point pits the Baron against some heavy hitters...

Ryan011235, Sep 29, 2010
Hop Baron Double Down IPA from Rivertown Brewing Co.