Hop Baron Double Down IPA - Rivertown Brewing Co.

Hop Baron Double Down IPAHop Baron Double Down IPA

good

good

Rivertown Brewing Co. visit their website
Ohio, United States

(Beer added by: ltjska04 on 08-06-2010)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Hop Baron Double Down IPA Alström Bros
Zanico

craftbrew502

05-20-2013 00:41:21 | More by craftbrew502
Beejay

3.93/5  rDev +12.6%

A: A pale to medium amber, white head, but it doesn't stick around for too long.

S: Hops up front. Grassy with citrus, especially grapefruit. Slightly piney. Smells nice.

T: Hops are right up front. Piney and oily, nice flavor. There is a nice sweetness in the finish, perhaps from the malt. There is a little bit of caramel in there.

M: Medium in body, but the heavy side of medium. Carbonation works for the style.

D: Pretty good, though not my favorite of the style. Still, glad to see a local pushing the boundaries and trying new styles. Good, but not amazing.

08-16-2010 02:08:04 | More by Beejay
rangel2

3.9/5  rDev +11.7%

Not a bad brew, whatsoever. Served into a Saison Dupont ~12 oz. glass. Amber in color, with a little less than a fingers head. Nice tight carbonation around ring of glass.

Aroma was of orange rind, pine, and somewhat raisin.

Taste is piney, more of the orange bitter, wet and oily, yet super drinkable.

As beer warms up, malt becomes more noticeable. The 103+ IBUs are up front, which slightly slope away, with oily citrus there in the middle, followed by a faint woody, bready malt presence, and satisfactory bitter finish.

Drank this one pretty damn fast. Bitter was never biting, and beer was rather enjoyable. Not sure when I'll pick this up again, because at 8.5% abv, I surely wouldn't session this one.

Not bad, though. Try it. It's a rather approachable DIPA I could see my less hop-inclined friends enjoying.

*I don't like to try and get into detail about the color of the beer or head because I am color blind (not fully, but to the point where I can't differentiate purple from blue and brown, red and green from one another). But, if I had a guess, this was a medium tan head, with the beer itself appearing a pretty clear amber.

10-10-2011 01:25:44 | More by rangel2
biggred1

3.88/5  rDev +11.2%

Clear, honey amber with a smallish, creamy tan head. Caramel malt and orange with a touch of pine in the nose. A good tasting beer with plenty of balance between citrusy hops and carmel. Candied orange peel and toffee some to mind. Medium bodied and slightly syrupy in the finish. A fine beer but not really what I expected witha name like "Hop Baron", a maltier than most take on the style.

08-24-2011 23:03:18 | More by biggred1
stabzmcgee

Colorado

3.88/5  rDev +11.2%

Poured into my bells two hearted glass. Thanks to gcurlow for both! Aroma is sweet and malty with a small hint of floral citrus hops. Taste is sweet malts and then followed by a hoppy bitterness. mouthful is resinous and sweet. Overall I this is another beer I would love to try on tap, with some pizza while wat king some ufc.

11-10-2011 02:44:23 | More by stabzmcgee
ThaBobfather

3.88/5  rDev +11.2%

Pours a text book- amber golden with a solid topping of beige/tan head.
Smell is cirtusy with some nice crisp hoppy notes.
Taste is quick with its flowery/citrus flavor- but it checks out quickly- a little malt on a back end.
Finish is a quick jab of hops with some citrus and malt left on the back of my palate.
Drinks great- very crisp and refreshing- completely hides a 8.5 punch.

09-14-2010 01:09:34 | More by ThaBobfather
ltjska04

3.83/5  rDev +9.7%

I came across this beer at the Party Source this week and it caught me totally off guard. I can't find any mention of it anywhere, but alas, here it is in my Perfect Pint glass. I'm not sure what the availability is going to be, but I'm happy to finally see a Cincinnati brewery take on a bigger style like this.

This beer is an extremely clear golden orange and pours with a half-finger of head that quickly falls into a ring around the glass. Carbonation bubbles float lazily from the bottom. The smell on this is very nice; grapefruit and citrus up front and more sweet malt as it breathes a bit.

As I took my first sip I was ready for a bitter smack across the face and all I got was a little tap. Where did all the hops from the smell go? There's a bit of hop flavor at first but further sips find the hops getting covered up by sweet maltiness. Damn, I was really hoping for big hop flavor here. There's a little lingering bitterness in the finish but the hops are pretty weak in the taste for an IIPA.

The mouthfeel is pretty much spot on. Carbonation is just right and the beer feels smooth going down. Drinkability is pretty good; you don't taste the 8.5% but can start to feel it halfway through. At $3 a bottle this isn't a bad value but I had high hopes for this that it didn't quite reach. I'm still looking for that killer Cincy beer.

08-06-2010 22:57:02 | More by ltjska04
brewdlyhooked13

3.8/5  rDev +8.9%

Appearance - pours a deep honey-gold with a finger of manila foam. Decent stick and fairly good resilience, holding at a thin but full cover.

Aroma - very light layer of caramel malt aroma, covered by piny zesty hops. The hoppiness backs off a bit on setup, showing more malt than I'd expect in DIPA.

Taste - good presence of sweet crackery malts. Big hops, grapefruit rind, light pine oils. The abv comes across a bit hot, downplaying the hops a bit. This is a well-balanced double IPA! Not over the top bitterness, I dig the balance. Ends with some decent drying bitterness and hoppy aftertaste.

Mouthfeel - lightly smooth, not a big body for the style.

Drinkability - very tasty brew, though the hopheads might consider this a DIPA-light due its lack of tongue-scraping bitterness. I like it though.

08-24-2011 01:25:15 | More by brewdlyhooked13
phiberoptik

3.78/5  rDev +8.3%

I have to put it out there... why is this a screw cap?! Not only is it the bottle type of horrible macro breweries but I also cannot reuse it for my home brews!

Hop Baron pours a clear copper with a small white head into a standard pint glass. I was surprised to read people saying their was cloudy... I can see right through this.

I get caramel malts up front, sweet fruits, yeast, and a bit of sour cherry. I expected more citrus or pine in the nose from the hops but it smells like the hops came in early and not dry hopped.

Bitter up front. I am guessing the majority of the 120 minute boil included hops. I still dont get a lot of flavor from them. I get caramel malts and a bit boozy (in a good way). The more it warms up the more I get a faint hint of some piney resin. This is flavorful but I expected more hops.

Medium bodied, nice mouth coating, and good carbonation.

Overall this is one of the better brews I have had from our hometown Rivertown guys. It was a single so I dont have another right now to compare it to but I like their attempt at a big beer.

07-20-2011 00:20:41 | More by phiberoptik
bleedblue9150

08-08-2014 13:42:48 | More by bleedblue9150
Ryan011235

Poured into a snifter on 9/27/10

Burnt amber in color with golden edged highlights. At first I didn't think much head would manifest, though over one finger rose toward the end of the pour. Very bubbly retention holds. Decent lace at the onset, though it gets spotty.

Seemingly undergoing a transformation, the aroma initially struck me as floral, herbal & solvent-like. Additional considerations find suggestions of citrus hops (lemon & grapefruit). The solvency remains, albeit to a lesser degree. A touch of pine. Malts are maybe a bit too prominent with notes of bread, caramel & a hint of sugar cookie. Kind of an all-around weird aroma.

A multi-faceted wave of hops strikes the tongue up front. Pine, grapefruit, lemon zest, floral hints & herbal wisps, all with a solvent twinge. I find the taste much more impressive than the aroma, especially in the hops category. There's a good amount of bitterness to offset the malts which, though quite apparent, aren't really out of place for the style. There's some of the aforementioned sugar cookie sweetness that tugs at the bitterness.

Medium, maybe full bodied; somewhere in that spectrum. Carbonation is average for the style & seems appropriate for this beer. The solvency fades some as the beer warms. Though it isn't hot, there is some inherit warming. The finish is kind of odd; bitterness quickly concedes to the sweetness, which lingers.

I'll admit to being skeptical based on the nose. Regardless, I've found Hop Baron to be enjoyable; I'm glad I picked up a bottle (maybe two would have been better?). Cheers to Rivertown for some reasonably solid work on this one.

My cause for concern - this was $2.99 for a 12oz. bottle (I only saw them sold as singles). That price point pits the Baron against some heavy hitters...

09-29-2010 01:50:00 | More by Ryan011235

09-08-2013 05:15:10 | More by jkball01
BeerAdvocate

3.74/5  rDev +7.2%

From BeerAdvocate magazine Issue #77 (June 2013):

LOOK: Clear dark amber, thick head

SMELL: Fresh grapefruit, citrus pulp, spearmint, dragon fruit, Asian pear, white tea, peppery alcohol

TASTE: Intense bitterness, orange rind, minty, melon rind, very herbal, staunch hop bitterness, pineapple, fresh hay, vaguely spicy, very warming, semi-pungent resin, hint of tobacco, long hoppy finish

103 IBUs … yeah, our palates can take it. Somewhat of a palate destroyer, though it does have some high alcohol and strong malt character to show that this is not just a one-note brew. It is not just the bitterness that blankets our palates, more of a thick hop flavor that does not want to stop.

11-27-2013 22:33:54 | More by BeerAdvocate
shanblur

3.73/5  rDev +6.9%

Purchased on a recent trip to Jungle Jim's International Market in Fairfield, OH. No freshness date on bottle. Apparently they only use it on the case packaging. Poured from 12 oz bottle into a tulip.

A - The lightest of orange in hue, with a moderately large white head which fades to some light lacing.

S - A good combination of citrus and piney hops but not much else.

T - Hops show through with both citrus and piney hops flavors present. Well integrated and not too overpowering.

M - Medium body with little carbonation.

This is my first from this brewery. It was a good example of an imperial IPA, though I have had better. I am glad I was able to try it and would be happy to sample others from this brewery.

07-20-2011 23:06:28 | More by shanblur
ColdPoncho

3.7/5  rDev +6%

No indication of date.

A - a very pretty deep copper body with a nice white head atop and good bubbles coming up. Well done, on this part.

S - Pungent, skunkish bitterness, some vanilla, lemon, and sweet, earthy something or other...weird nose.

T - Sweet grapefruit kinda thing goin on here.. Bitter for sure on the finish, but up fron theres an odd sweetness to it. Not quite a typical DIPA, but it's not too bad.

M - thick and a bit drying. Pretty smooth.

O - not a bad beer. Some nice things to it, and it seems pretty unique. Rivertown's labels have also gotten significantly cooler. Probably won't have this again, but it's certainly one of the better Rivertown offerings.

02-27-2012 22:00:12 | More by ColdPoncho
sholland119

3.68/5  rDev +5.4%

Nice extra in the Blind Beers BIF, version2.

A-Clear golden with hints of peach with some frothy white head. No real lacing.

S-Biscuity malt, some citrus hops buried beneath what smells like a grainy rye twang. Not a hop bomb by the smell of it but nice complexity.

T-A bit sweet in the front, maybe overly so, with the hops arriving rather light and rather late. Some citrus notes in the finish. Solid but unspectacular. To be honest, I'd wonder about freshness based on the taste but the earliest review is a month ago so I think this is how the brewer intended it.

M-Medium bodied, crisp, a bit sweet.

D-Tasty, a bit high on the ABV to flavor ratio to seek it out.

HV

09-15-2010 01:24:11 | More by sholland119
kirok1999

3.68/5  rDev +5.4%

Pours a light clear gold with nice sticky lacing.
Smells of mild spice, wheat, mild vegetal grains, sweet malt backbone.
Taste is very much like the smell but a bit amped up. It has a nice spicy finish that would let it pair well with some strong foods. The lingering finish is nicely bitter with a creamy and mildly carbonated mouthfeel.
This would be a nice summer beer after mowing the lawn.

01-10-2011 02:39:34 | More by kirok1999
gford217

Georgia

3.65/5  rDev +4.6%

12oz bottle courtesy of Tifore, poured into a tulip.

Pours a clear amber with a very small beige head that recedes immediately to a small collar leaving no lacing.

Aroma is very sweet with lots of caramel malts and hints of juicy citrus. The malts take on a slightly toasted character in the nose. The oranges and pineapple come out a bit more as it warms.

The taste is more of the same with oranges and tons of sugary caramel malts. The bitterness is more pronounced in the finish, with some pine resin mixed in with the citrus.

The mouthfeel is medium bodied with low carbonation and slick and sticky on the palate.

Not the most impressive of DIPAs as the hops are pretty subdued given the purported hop profile. Lots of sugary sweetness in this one.

11-19-2010 01:12:55 | More by gford217
Hop Baron Double Down IPA from Rivertown Brewing Co.