Hop Baron Double Down IPA - Rivertown Brewing Co.

Hop Baron Double Down IPAHop Baron Double Down IPA

Rivertown Brewing Co. visit their website
Ohio, United States

Beer added by: ltjska04 on 08-06-2010

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Hop Baron Double Down IPA Alström Bros
firstprev| 1-25 | 26-50  | next → last
3.08/5  rDev -11%

12oz bottle, secret santa

appearance: served in a tyranena nonic, cloudy orange body, light beige froth with minimal retention

smell: doughy malts, caramel, touch of pine

taste: a doughy caramel body, some light pine, citrus rind, peppery, moderate boozyness, somewhat herbal. A bit unrefined with a subdued hop profile.

mouthfeel: medium-full body, light bitterness

overall: probably a pass on this one

3.06/5  rDev -11.6%

No bottle date, poured this into a snifter.
Pours a nice opper color with a creamy, white, one finger head. Head settles out very quickly. The beer is clear with little carbonation.
Picking up some grainy cereal type aromas along with a little bit of citrusy hops and alcohol.
For a DIPA it certainly doesn't smack me in the mouth with hop bitterness or flavor. I'm mostly getting som bready notes and a little sweetness with a small touch of hops.
At 8.5% I was expecting it to be a little heavier, it's not though. There's little carbonation and it leaves a grainy aftertaste. For a DIPA I am feeling a little unfullfilled.
I was hoping for more. It has a great color but that's about where the praise ends. After that it's pretty average. Unfortunate as this is a local brewery that I would like to support more.

2.75/5  rDev -20.5%

Pithy grapefruit with some earthiness and a really big malt bill come through on the nose. The flavor starts pretty sweet with caramel malts, then fleshy orange skin, white grapefruit, and the beer stays sweet all the way through...
Where's the bitterness?
As this warms it reminds me of grapefruit with sugar sprinkled across the top.

After having the Pale ale earlier that had no hop flavor and all bitterness, this is the complete opposite-- it's all flavor and no bitterness. The flavor is decent, but not really blowing me away.

This one is undercarbed and has a slight syrupy vibe to it.

There was little head on this one, no lace, and very poor retention.

Overall, this is a slightly subpar DIPA-- it isn't offensive, and if I were offered one I could drink it without having to feel like "I'm choking it down." I'd take this over lots of beers, but with DIPA being one of my favorite styles, I just cannot see this as anywhere above average.

2.62/5  rDev -24.3%

Poured Hop Baron into a Belgian Tulip.

A - Pours a cloudy burnt orange with a half a finger of white head.

S - Malty, tropical citrus, honey. Not sure about this one.

T - Disappointing, I really not sure what this is. Orange flavors, musty malt.

M - Medium mouthfeel, with medium carbonation.

O - Not the worst beer I've had but damn close. Steer Clear!

2.37/5  rDev -31.5%

Received as an extra in a recent trade.

A- Poured cloudy, I mean really hazy orange. This shit doesn't look clean, or too promising for that matter.

S- Here's where the wheels come off. I can tell by the smell, this beer is old. There is no forward hop presence and reading the bottle would really make me thing I should get hit with some strong hops presence if it was fresh.

At this point there's not much point in continuing. Tastes like syrup. There is a slight spiciniess in it that would be good if it was fresh. I'll hopefully get to try another one fresh and change my opinion. Perhaps they should bottle date these (shouldn't they all date them, especially if they are IPA's)?

2.34/5  rDev -32.4%

12oz bottle into a pint glass.

Pours a slightly hazy dark orange with a one finger white head. Good head retention and lacing.

Aroma has quite a bit of caramel and a decent amount of grapefruit and pineapple from the hops. Not much else but it is decent.

The flavor is where everything goes wrong. First of all there is way too much carbonation for a IIPA. This thing is carbonated like a hefe. Also all the flavors are extremely muddled. There is a lot of caramel and an unpleasant butterscotch/bourbon flavor. Tons of bitterness but very little in the way of hop flavor.

Overall, I really can't recommend this beer. Some bad off flavors and a severe lack of hop flavor for a IIPA. Another fairly bad brew from Rivertown.

2.11/5  rDev -39%

12oz bottle into a Founders Tulip.

Pours a hazy golden orange with a huge three finger white head. The head falls fast, leaving moderate lacing. Pretty standard.

Nose is subdued at best. Maybe a touch of sweet citrus, but I'm reaching to find anything at all.

Taste is very very bland. There just isn't much of anything here. Not bitter, not hoppy, just extremely bland. Almost like lemon-lime soda, but without as much flavor. Without a doubt the most boring DIPA I've ever had.

Mouth is spritzy. Very thin and over carbonated. As boring as the nose and taste are, the mouthfeel is the weakest part of this brew.

Picked this up without knowing anything about it at the recommendation of an employee at Belmont Party Supply in Dayton, OH. Recommendations like this are why I typically don't ask for input from store employees. Avoid this beer.

12 ounce bottle courtesy of Ryan011235, poured into a Duvel tulip. The dull amber body goes well beyond hazy into murky territory. A finger's worth of head disappears quite quickly, leaving a bubbly island and a thin collar of foam behind. A few specks of lacing.

Fighting thru the plentiful aromas of brown sugar and caramel (uh oh) is a lemony pine combo that's more reminiscent of a household cleaning product that actual lemon and pine.

On the positive side, there's a fairly potent undercurrent of bitterness and the plentiful overripe orange taste natural enough that I no longer want to scrub my floors. This stuff is tooth achingly sweet, though. I'd swear there was a spoonful of straight brown sugar dissolved in the bottle. I don't know what you paid for this bottle, Ryan, but you paid too much.

firstprev| 1-25 | 26-50  | next → last
Hop Baron Double Down IPA from Rivertown Brewing Co.