Hop Baron Double Down IPA - Rivertown Brewing Co.

Hop Baron Double Down IPAHop Baron Double Down IPA

good

good

Rivertown Brewing Co. visit their website
Ohio, United States

Beer added by: ltjska04 on 08-06-2010

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Hop Baron Double Down IPA Alström Bros
first ← prev | 1-25 | 26-50  | next → last
3.9/5  rDev +12.1%

Pours a text book- amber golden with a solid topping of beige/tan head.
Smell is cirtusy with some nice crisp hoppy notes.
Taste is quick with its flowery/citrus flavor- but it checks out quickly- a little malt on a back end.
Finish is a quick jab of hops with some citrus and malt left on the back of my palate.
Drinks great- very crisp and refreshing- completely hides a 8.5 punch. (383 characters)

2.11/5  rDev -39.4%

12oz bottle into a Founders Tulip.

Pours a hazy golden orange with a huge three finger white head. The head falls fast, leaving moderate lacing. Pretty standard.

Nose is subdued at best. Maybe a touch of sweet citrus, but I'm reaching to find anything at all.

Taste is very very bland. There just isn't much of anything here. Not bitter, not hoppy, just extremely bland. Almost like lemon-lime soda, but without as much flavor. Without a doubt the most boring DIPA I've ever had.

Mouth is spritzy. Very thin and over carbonated. As boring as the nose and taste are, the mouthfeel is the weakest part of this brew.

Picked this up without knowing anything about it at the recommendation of an employee at Belmont Party Supply in Dayton, OH. Recommendations like this are why I typically don't ask for input from store employees. Avoid this beer. (853 characters)

3.75/5  rDev +7.8%

I have to put it out there... why is this a screw cap?! Not only is it the bottle type of horrible macro breweries but I also cannot reuse it for my home brews!

Hop Baron pours a clear copper with a small white head into a standard pint glass. I was surprised to read people saying their was cloudy... I can see right through this.

I get caramel malts up front, sweet fruits, yeast, and a bit of sour cherry. I expected more citrus or pine in the nose from the hops but it smells like the hops came in early and not dry hopped.

Bitter up front. I am guessing the majority of the 120 minute boil included hops. I still dont get a lot of flavor from them. I get caramel malts and a bit boozy (in a good way). The more it warms up the more I get a faint hint of some piney resin. This is flavorful but I expected more hops.

Medium bodied, nice mouth coating, and good carbonation.

Overall this is one of the better brews I have had from our hometown Rivertown guys. It was a single so I dont have another right now to compare it to but I like their attempt at a big beer. (1,076 characters)

2.62/5  rDev -24.7%

Poured Hop Baron into a Belgian Tulip.

A - Pours a cloudy burnt orange with a half a finger of white head.

S - Malty, tropical citrus, honey. Not sure about this one.

T - Disappointing, I really not sure what this is. Orange flavors, musty malt.

M - Medium mouthfeel, with medium carbonation.

O - Not the worst beer I've had but damn close. Steer Clear! (359 characters)

3.06/5  rDev -12.1%

No bottle date, poured this into a snifter.
Pours a nice opper color with a creamy, white, one finger head. Head settles out very quickly. The beer is clear with little carbonation.
Picking up some grainy cereal type aromas along with a little bit of citrusy hops and alcohol.
For a DIPA it certainly doesn't smack me in the mouth with hop bitterness or flavor. I'm mostly getting som bready notes and a little sweetness with a small touch of hops.
At 8.5% I was expecting it to be a little heavier, it's not though. There's little carbonation and it leaves a grainy aftertaste. For a DIPA I am feeling a little unfullfilled.
I was hoping for more. It has a great color but that's about where the praise ends. After that it's pretty average. Unfortunate as this is a local brewery that I would like to support more. (815 characters)

3.7/5  rDev +6.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Purchased on a recent trip to Jungle Jim's International Market in Fairfield, OH. No freshness date on bottle. Apparently they only use it on the case packaging. Poured from 12 oz bottle into a tulip.

A - The lightest of orange in hue, with a moderately large white head which fades to some light lacing.

S - A good combination of citrus and piney hops but not much else.

T - Hops show through with both citrus and piney hops flavors present. Well integrated and not too overpowering.

M - Medium body with little carbonation.

This is my first from this brewery. It was a good example of an imperial IPA, though I have had better. I am glad I was able to try it and would be happy to sample others from this brewery. (720 characters)

3.5/5  rDev +0.6%

Light Amber color, leaning toward the oranger side. off-White 1/4" head at pour settling to a off-white ring and thin cover on face of beer. Dark malty aroma with compliments of a deep orange breadiness. Occasionally picked up some brighter citrus notes. Doesn't pick up as much hop as I was expecting for style, aroma pretty much dominated by maltiness. Very dry finish. Beginning is very dark and sweet. Middle brings through a slightly brighter, citrusy flavor. End becomes dry which carries through to finish. Heavier maltiness very dominate in overall flavor as well accompanied by a relatively high carbonation level that seems to linger. Overall not that bad, slightly on heavy on the sweetness. (702 characters)

3.99/5  rDev +14.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 4

Pours hazy lemony orange with a small white head, smells of citrusy hops pine slight malt, tastes of sharp minerally spicy piney hops with a cooling malt in the background, mouthfeel is smooth and silky with a dry finish moderate carbonation. (243 characters)

3.85/5  rDev +10.6%

I came across this beer at the Party Source this week and it caught me totally off guard. I can't find any mention of it anywhere, but alas, here it is in my Perfect Pint glass. I'm not sure what the availability is going to be, but I'm happy to finally see a Cincinnati brewery take on a bigger style like this.

This beer is an extremely clear golden orange and pours with a half-finger of head that quickly falls into a ring around the glass. Carbonation bubbles float lazily from the bottom. The smell on this is very nice; grapefruit and citrus up front and more sweet malt as it breathes a bit.

As I took my first sip I was ready for a bitter smack across the face and all I got was a little tap. Where did all the hops from the smell go? There's a bit of hop flavor at first but further sips find the hops getting covered up by sweet maltiness. Damn, I was really hoping for big hop flavor here. There's a little lingering bitterness in the finish but the hops are pretty weak in the taste for an IIPA.

The mouthfeel is pretty much spot on. Carbonation is just right and the beer feels smooth going down. Drinkability is pretty good; you don't taste the 8.5% but can start to feel it halfway through. At $3 a bottle this isn't a bad value but I had high hopes for this that it didn't quite reach. I'm still looking for that killer Cincy beer. (1,351 characters)

3.85/5  rDev +10.6%

Poured into my bells two hearted glass. Thanks to gcurlow for both! Aroma is sweet and malty with a small hint of floral citrus hops. Taste is sweet malts and then followed by a hoppy bitterness. mouthful is resinous and sweet. Overall I this is another beer I would love to try on tap, with some pizza while wat king some ufc. (327 characters)

3.59/5  rDev +3.2%

No date on bottle. Poured into a Sam Adams Perfect Pint glass.

A - Orange and clear with a bright, dense white head. Looks just like I'd expect a DIPA to look.

S - Hops are definitely present in the nose. Pine, citrus, and a little pineapple. However, the hops aroma is a little subdued from what I expect in a DIPA. No malt in nose, which would be nice to have.

T - Taste follows aroma. Hops are up front in flavor with a firm, lasting bitterness. Bitterness is a little rough, but not out of line for a DIPA. Light, toasty malt flavor. There's a sweetness present, but from the warming sensation I think the sweet flavor is from the alcohol. Clean yeast character.

M - Warming with a dry finish. Moderate carbonation and very smooth drinking.

D - A very quaffable DIPA. If you took New Glarus' Moon Man and amped it up, you'd have this beer. A beer that would go very well with a strong cheese. The malt isn't too sweet, which is something that I think gets screwed up in a lot of DIPAs. I'd like a stronger hop aroma and flavor in this beer, though. (1,058 characters)

3.88/5  rDev +11.5%

Not a bad brew, whatsoever. Served into a Saison Dupont ~12 oz. glass. Amber in color, with a little less than a fingers head. Nice tight carbonation around ring of glass.

Aroma was of orange rind, pine, and somewhat raisin.

Taste is piney, more of the orange bitter, wet and oily, yet super drinkable.

As beer warms up, malt becomes more noticeable. The 103+ IBUs are up front, which slightly slope away, with oily citrus there in the middle, followed by a faint woody, bready malt presence, and satisfactory bitter finish.

Drank this one pretty damn fast. Bitter was never biting, and beer was rather enjoyable. Not sure when I'll pick this up again, because at 8.5% abv, I surely wouldn't session this one.

Not bad, though. Try it. It's a rather approachable DIPA I could see my less hop-inclined friends enjoying.

*I don't like to try and get into detail about the color of the beer or head because I am color blind (not fully, but to the point where I can't differentiate purple from blue and brown, red and green from one another). But, if I had a guess, this was a medium tan head, with the beer itself appearing a pretty clear amber. (1,148 characters)

4.85/5  rDev +39.4%

This beer has an excellent nose and a strong floral hopiness. Unfortunately I cannot find it in TX, so I'll have to settle for getting some whenever I come back to Cincy for a visit. (182 characters)

first ← prev | 1-25 | 26-50  | next → last
Hop Baron Double Down IPA from Rivertown Brewing Co.