Winter Ale - Rivertown Brewing Co.

Winter AleWinter Ale

good

Rivertown Brewing Co. visit their website
Ohio, United States

Winter Warmer |  7.50% ABV

(Beer added by: ltjska04 on 11-28-2010)

Johnroby, Nov 20, 2013
3.71/5  rDev +1.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

12oz bottle poured into a snifter. No date stamp.

Appearance: Clear dark amber leaning toward brown when on the table. Ruby red notes when held up to the light. Barest thin white head at the edge of the glass. No lacing.

Smell: Cinnamon, molasses dominate with a sweetness under it all that makes one think of a snickerdoodle cookie. With a good swirl of the glass I can pick out a tobacco / cigar like smell as well.

Taste: Cinnamon, molasses again with a cookie like malt sweetness. Again reminds me of a snickerdoodle cookie. Mild bitter finish. Leafy and somewhat tobacco like.

Mouthfeel: Spicy on the tongue, sticky, but still smooth.

Overall / Drinkability: Did not go well with food (at least not what I paired it with - sloppy joes). I think this one may go better with the right type of dessert or just by itself. While it makes me think of winter....I'm actually not finding it to be the type of beer I want to sip slowly and savor to warm me up on a winter's night. More like an interesting winter beer during a party with friends - and yet I don't want another one after finishing it. I'll have to see if it pairs better with some dessert to make it more drinkable, but otherwise I find it interesting, but it's missing something. I almost wonder if it is perhaps too strongly flavored and reminding me of a cookie that I'm missing the beer, which appears to be lost under the other strong flavors.

damndirtyape, Nov 16, 2013
3.66/5  rDev +0.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

This beer has a, dare I say, unique taste.It must be the combination of the molasses and cinnamon,not that that's a bad thing,just different.I noticed the abv is listed on BA as 7.5% but the Rivertown site says it is 8.2%.Even with the higher abv it is well hidden amongst the flavors.I like the fact that it is a local(to me,at least) offering and would recommend it.

1mrbeer, Nov 07, 2013

Bill235, May 09, 2013

davemathews68, Apr 30, 2013

Nick_Foltz, Mar 09, 2013
4.38/5  rDev +20%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

I loved this beer, perfect for a winter evening. The molasses comes through along with a hint of spice, cinnamon before the first sip. Not much of a head, small lacing, but that's alright with me. This is a rich amber/ruby colored ale, I used my vintage Falstaff lager glass. At first you have a taste of cinnamon which fades into a spicy sweet flavor. Light mouth feel, with no alcohol bite despite a 7.5%. Like it for the colder nights!

BigPauly, Feb 26, 2013

3.25/5  rDev -11%

RedneckBeerz, Feb 09, 2013

JustinWhipple, Jan 26, 2013
4.45/5  rDev +21.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

A; Poured from a bottle into a snifter glass. Minimal head with little retention and no lacing. Copper colored and very clear. Almost luminous qualities.

S: Cinnamon is the dominant smell with earthy undertones

T: Cinnamon and caramel. For being brewed with molasses, it is suprisingly light. Hops are evident but not overpowering. Very complementary to the maltiness. Extremely balanced flavor, excepting that it may be too sweet for some palettes.

M: Medium body, not too dry for an 8% beer, little carbonation.

O: One of the better winter brews I've tried. Extremely balanced and very drinkable. As far as food pairings, I recommend venison or other "gamey" red meat.

Dubious13, Jan 05, 2013
4.5/5  rDev +23.3%

Lukass, Jan 05, 2013
4.25/5  rDev +16.4%

Martstar, Jan 01, 2013
4.35/5  rDev +19.2%

In what has been a pretty lackluster season for winter seasonals, this beer shines above the rest. Bright, almost luminous, copper. Aroma was warmly spicy. Moderate, clean bodied mouthfeel. Spicing is prominent but not overpowering. Natural cinnamon, a touch woody, with some other cookie-like background spice. ETOH is well integrated - a little warming and perhaps lending some pepper to the cinnamon. Overall very well done.

Brent, Dec 04, 2012
3.6/5  rDev -1.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

The first Winter Warmer I have ever Tried.
A brownish color without lacing. Lots of Cinnamon, it really takes over. The taste is Cinnamon, spice, apple, gingerbread. Lots of flavor, just a hint of malt, some syrup . Its more of a flavored beer then I care for. High ABV, Not one I would buy a six of.

patpbr, Nov 25, 2012
Winter Ale from Rivertown Brewing Co.