Join our email list →

Roebling Vanilla Espresso Porter - Rivertown Brewing Co.

Roebling Vanilla Espresso PorterRoebling Vanilla Espresso Porter

good

good

Rivertown Brewing Co.
Ohio, United States | website

American Porter | 7.80% ABV

Availability: Spring

Beer added by: kirok1999 on 04-24-2011

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Roebling Vanilla Espresso Porter Alström Bros
4.95/5  rDev +39%

very vanillay beer and this beer will get you messed up in a hurry. one of the best porters i can find in the state of ohio. i recommend this beer to try

3.74/5  rDev +5.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

This brewery has been hit or miss with me, with the more out of the ordinary brews being interesting and pretty tasty. This one is just OK - many others of this style are much more spectacular.

It's expectedly brown. The head is very thin and there isn't a lot bubble production. The aroma is a mild coffee smell with sweet ale hops and yeast. The taste takes off with loads of coffee and malts and booze. You can taste nice bitters too. It's a decent balance. The aftertaste is boozy with your coffee.

The whole experience continued to improve as this warmed. Enough so that I raised my ratings and give this a hearty recommendation. Delicious.

3.65/5  rDev +2.5%

Appearance is dark with virtually zero head. Taste comes on strong with sweet vanilla and sugar then finishes with some coffee/baker's chocolate bitterness. It goes down very smooth and drinkable. The body is too thin for the "imperial" label but I still enjoyed it.

3.88/5  rDev +9%

on draft, served in shaker pint glass

very dark brown in color, decent head. pleasant roasty coffee aroma. taste is fairly balanced. not overly acidic or bitter, and actually not as much coffee flavor as expected for a beer named "espresso porter". medium bodied.

3.89/5  rDev +9.3%

This was offered on draft last week, on nitro, at The Copper Rocket in Winter Park/Orlando, FL.

I enjoyed this; the nitro added an appropriate amount of creaminess, and the espresso & vanilla flavors were present. This isn't a life-changing beer, by any means, but it's smooth and drinkable. I would order it again at any time.

To me, this is in the neighborhood of 3.5-3.75, with perhaps a slight lean toward the latter.

4.34/5  rDev +21.9%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

Nitro pour at World of Beer in Pensacola.

Pour pitch black as far as I could tell in a dark bar. Rich milk chocolate. Swiss miss hot chocolate in cold nitro beer form. Notes of espresso and vanilla

3.85/5  rDev +8.1%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Shared some tastes of this brew with my wife as her glass warmed up over the course of 30-45 minutes. She definitely loved this beer. I had a couple of overall impressions including the light hand used to incorporate the vanilla and coffee, fact that this must have been a pretty solid base beer, and the fact that the mouthfeel was a bit thin. Overall, this was well done and well balanced. I think that Rivertown (OH) is an up and coming brewery.

2.5/5  rDev -29.8%
look: 2.75 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 2 | overall: 2.25

Pours dark brown with minimal khaki head that quickly recedes. Looks like root beer. Aroma is vanilla, some coffee, caramel, some roastiness. Flavor was bad, dominated by some terrible vanilla, IMO. Mouthfeel with quite thin and too effervescent, prickly. Overall, huge miss for me.

3.36/5  rDev -5.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.25

Close to black in color. No head at all. Aroma is sweet and sugary with some vanilla notes. Taste is very heavy on the vanilla and sugar. This tastes more like a milk stout or sweet stout than a porter in my opinion. Mouthfeel is medium-bodied. Overall I'd like this a lot better if it had a little less vanilla and a lot less sugar.

3.87/5  rDev +8.7%

A- deep cola colored with ruby highlights. Thin light beige head that fades fast.

S- roasted coffee and a deep chocolate aroma. Lots of vanilla.

T- the aroma translates to the palate well. Milk chocolate, coffee and vanilla. There is a light toasty bitterness in the finish.

M- medium bodied, carbonation is almost nonexistent. Watery on the back end.

O- It's a "vanilla espresso" porter and it plays that role acceptably, but it's nothing to write home about.

3.98/5  rDev +11.8%

Nice roast up front before a chocolate malt, chocolate brownie takes over. The espresso and vanilla visit towards the end. This drinks rather thin so I think it would rate higher with more viscosity.

3.59/5  rDev +0.8%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Not bad at all, that being said . . . I wasn't impressed either. About average for the style in every way. Roebling was a able to hold up in feel over the duration of drinking. But with no real depth to this beer it's a one and done for me.

3.4/5  rDev -4.5%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

12oz bottle poured into a pint glass
A: Dark brown with a 1/2-finger head
S: Lots of vanilla, some coffee bean, a bit of cocoa and chocolate malt
T: Pleasant vanilla/chocolate to open, some coffee on the midpalate but then it turns watery and unpleasant on the finish
M: Initially medium-bodied & smooth but then it turns thin/watery on the finish
O: This had a lot of potential but I almost drain-poured it. I finished it and left my initial notes above since it improved somewhat with air. Good potential but not a repeat buy

look: 4 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

Pours a very dark brown with a thin white head that quickly dissipates. Smells rich, with vanilla and dark fruit in the fore. Taste is predominantly vanilla and dark sugar, with some small espresso flavor lingering. Mouthfeel is mostly consistent with the style, but just a bit on the thin side. This is an excellent sipper, good for an after dinner treat.

3.77/5  rDev +5.9%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Poured from 12 oz bottle into tulip.

A: Motor oil black with one finger head that disappeared fairly quickly to a thin ring and left little to no lacing.

S: Mostly vanilla and roasted malts. Maybe a hint of chocolate and coffee.

T: Again the vanilla is the star of the show. Some roasted malts, light chocolate, and faint coffee.

M: Medium body and pleasant slightly sweet finish.

O: Decent and easy drinking porter but I wish there was more depth to flavor and aroma, and I wanted the coffee to be more prominent.

3.51/5  rDev -1.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.5

2014-11-23. Review entered from notes.
12oz bottle poured into a little plastic hotel cup. Bottle code is 17061434B10154, but I have no idea what that means. I would guess it's either best by or bottled on 2014-06-17.

Pours black, with a small beige head that fades very fast. Not much carbonation. Smell is rich dark malt, black cherry and black licorice. Maybe overripe plum.

Taste is very powerful vanilla (to me -- my wife didn't think so). Sweet, sort of molassesy.

Mouthfeel is too still. Overall, not bad. Too sweet, too still. Too much vanilla.

2.37/5  rDev -33.4%

A - nearly flat low head. Dark cola brown. Instantly disappearing beige head 3.25

S - soda. Ginger and cola. Chocolate vanilla 3

T - vanilla cream soda that one day saw a beer in a magazine. This is not beer. 2

M - very soda like. Not creamy not slick. Just like a cream soda 2

O - For an "imperial robust porter" there is very little about this beer that is imperial or robust or porter like aside from the color. I chose this just wanting to tick Ohio off my list of beer states. Won't buy this again. 2.25

Poured from a brown bottle this dark brown porter had no head and little to no lace.
At first the vanilla reaches the nose followed by a slight espresso/ chocolate note.
Espresso and vanilla caress the palate making this enjoyable to drink.

3.84/5  rDev +7.9%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

Good starting head (for a bar pour). It leaves a blanket of streaky, non-lasting lace. The color is deep ruby brown where bright light will pass.

Interestingly, I smell berry initially--almost like Hi-C. There's a darker chocolate aroma in the background.

This beer tastes like chocolate milk. Good body with a lower level of bubbles. This is sweeter than most porters. It also doesn't have the harsher flavors of the stronger porters. I like this more mellow offering--it's flavorful without being harsh.

On nitro.

Vanilla bean up front. Sweet. Chocolate notes more milk chocolate than dark. Subtle caramelized sugar notes on the nose.

I'm a little surprised this isn't rated higher. Perhaps the nitro does a lot for the drinkability.

4.25/5  rDev +19.4%

I thought this was a fine porter. A lot of character and flavor. The vanilla and sweetness were a bit too much for me, but the coffee and dark chocolate bitterness did go a long way in balancing out the flavor.

A: Dark as the night with a decent low lacing head
S: Very strong dark chocolate
T: Deep slightly bitter chocolate with a hint of vanilla
M: It came in at average for a dark beer, which was still quite present
O: I enjoyed the beer, I thought it could have used a bit less sweetness and vanilla it almost felt unnatural, but it is a great beer to split with some friends...especially those who are just treading into darker territory.

3.75/5  rDev +5.3%

12 oz bottle was poured into a pint glass.

Appearance: A one finger mocha head was poured that reduced to nothing. It is a pitch black color with no vision of anything.

Smell: Vanilla, roasted strong coffee, milk chocolate, doughy, and confectioners sugar.

Taste: Milk chocolate robust vanilla brownies. It's crazy delicious.

Mouthfeel: Smooth, a little sweet, medium bodied, and medium carbonation.

Overall: Pretty tasty porter. All the extra features make thus an exceptional beer.

3.83/5  rDev +7.6%
look: 4 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Nice brown black color, though the cappuccino head faded somewhat quickly.

Aroma is chocolatey, slightly roasty and nutty, with definite vanilla presence.

Flavor is dominated by vanilla, but the roast and chocolate balance is fairly smooth.

Body's a touch full, with minimal carbonation and light alcohol warmth.

Not a huge vanilla fan, but this is a decent porter.

Among the cheapest of the thick, dark beers at my neighborhood store, I decided to give this a try and then looked up the rating when I got home. I was pretty disappointed, but when I re-read the label's description, I didn't see how I couldn't like it unless the brewers were delusional in their claims.

I put it away and waited to drink it until I wasn't sure which of the ones remaining had a poor review, so I wasn't setting myself up to not enjoy my weekly beer.

I was NOT disappointed with this in any way. It was a delight, all-around - my analysis below:

A - Poured into a pint glass with about two of my smallish fingers of head. The glass was clean when it was gone. It's quite dark with nothing to see through.

S - It smells of fruit, vanilla, caramel, and malt. I even sat and sniffed it until the head was gone.

T - My first sip had me telling my wife how pleasant it was. It was clean and generally yummy because it has such a nice caramel and malt tone. I had no need for any chips, but I was in the mood for Nacho Cheese Doritos and was washing down the chips with the beer instead of the other way around.

M - Almost no carbonation. It was smooth and creamy-ish. Just a light coating in the mouth that lingers and makes you savor it like anything else that tastes great and stays behind in your mouth after swallowing.

O - I had given up on Porters in favor of stouts until this. I'm not an expert but I'm developing a mental catalogue of what tastes and the descriptions used on labels are up my alley. For the price, I'm going to stock up on this as a very, very nice drink to enjoy without spending $4-$5 per bottle for the barleywine style and more expensive RIS bottles.

3.34/5  rDev -6.2%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

Reviewed from notes. Poured from 12 oz. bottle into a Russian River pint glass.

A: Dark brown, but fairly translucent. Forms a thin light tan head with a low amount of visible carbonation.

S: Brown toasted malts and some nutty sweetness. That's about it.

T: Roasted malts up front, then has a vanilla and hazelnut sweetness in the middle to end. Some restrained coffee flavor near the end. Light roasted bitterness with vanilla in the hang with just a touch of medicinal astringency.

M: This has a thin body for a porter (especially for one self-described as "Imperial"), but not quite watery. Carbonation sensation on the low side, moderate alcohol flavor.

O: It's not awful. But there are an awful lot of better porters out there to be drank. Can't recommend this one, but if I was at a party and it was what was available, I wouldn't refuse.

Roebling Vanilla Espresso Porter from Rivertown Brewing Co.