Quaff Bros Hop Flood - Rivertown Brewing Co.

Quaff Bros Hop FloodQuaff Bros Hop Flood

Rivertown Brewing Co. visit their website
Ohio, United States

American Strong Ale |  ABV ?

(Beer added by: ltjska04 on 05-30-2011)
Hermthegerm

3.5/5  rDev -11.4%

01-14-2013 23:23:54 | More by Hermthegerm
brewdlyhooked13

4.05/5  rDev +2.5%

Appearance - murky, dark orange and gold. Quite an active bead, keeping a thin head afloat.

Aroma - citrusy, almost winey sniff. Heavy syrupy smell of pineapple juice, a support of oak.

Taste - dry malt up front, low sweetness. a quick but shallow show of hops. Given the age, it's impressive to pcik them out at all. And then it's all barrel. Not overly boozy, the whiskey and wood have a real nice balancing character. Not wiping out the hops, not exactly supporting them, just a parallel path a few taste buds over... ;-)
The hops make a light dry bitter return at the swallow, a touch of fruity oak, and some warming alcohol.

Mouthfeel - okay body, a little thin. Not that a strong ale has to be chewed through, but the big flavors would have come across more stately perhaps.

Drinkability - super sipper! Pretty nice with some aging, a fine one to enjoy while wrapping gifts.

12-23-2012 03:27:16 | More by brewdlyhooked13
bennetj17

Arizona

4.28/5  rDev +8.4%

Pours looking a bit syrupy, the beer is clear, bright copper colored, with barely a head. Carbonation appears very faint. Sweet and sugary malt nose with an orange citrus hop edge. Intense to the point I expect a doughy, cloying sweetness in the taste, though hopefully not. You could have fooled me that this is bourbon barrel aged. I really don't smell the vanilla or wood notes at all, it just comes off like a very malty Double IPA or a hoppy Barleywine for that matter.

Everything is a bit more subtle in the flavor. The caramel malts are strong but balanced by well placed hop bitterness. The alcohol is lightly warming but doesn't taste. The barrel aging is still not very apparent, though I don't seem to care. At least it had the effect of mellowing this beer, I assume, as the hop intensity is subdued and the finish is relaxed. Or perhaps this bottle has just been aged well. The yeast was well-caked at the bottom and didn't even pour out. Medium bodied, there is a lightly syrupy feel to the beer that's appropriate for the style, and the carbonation is nice.

With the boatload of hop varieties and barrel aging to boot, I was expecting a mess out of this beer, but I was pleasantly suprised. It has a strong reminiscence to SN Bigfoot in my mind, which is a real compliment. The balance of malt and hop flavors is amazing, and there is just enough heat to make this a perfect nightcap. You can sip it slow and it just gets better as it warms. Thanks to whomever left this in my fridge at my last tasting, wish I had another.

09-02-2012 05:10:15 | More by bennetj17
sobeleg

11-17-2011 00:25:10 | More by sobeleg
phiberoptik

3.88/5  rDev -1.8%

Brewed locally, aged locally. and now bring drank locally.

Pours with minimal head, as most barrel aged beers do. Pours a very clear amber with a light sudsy head.

Smells of a lot of caramel malts with some leftover hop aromas and a warmth of alcohol.

Bourbon and oak up front with mild notes of vanilla from the wood. Caramel maltiness in the middle with a warm bitter finish.

Medium to full bodied mouthfeel with a comforting carbonation.

Overall this is a sipper. I really enjoy this. i can tell it had a good base beer and Quaff Bros barrels only improved it.

10-07-2011 01:16:23 | More by phiberoptik
Bonis

3.73/5  rDev -5.6%

A - Hazy, golden orange with little to no head. What bubbles remain off the pour do leave a touch of lace.

S - Sweet caramel malts, toffee, oak, brown sugar and bourbon. Not much in the way of hops considering the name of this beer, then again this beer has been sitting around for a while. Smells decent overall.

T - Sweet bourbon whiskey off the bat, but not overwhelming, which is nice. A nice touch of malts and oak are accompanied by a slight balance of hops, but the hops aren't even close being dominant as I would've assumed. I'm still confused on the name of this beer, but it tastes pretty good. A little bit of butterscotch mixes in nicely. Alcohol is hidden nicely as well. A solid tasting brew overall, but nothing overly exciting.

M - Very flat, but surprisingly goes down easy for the ABV (which I was told is 9% by a rep at the store I purchased it from, but I don't know for sure). A touch of bourbon alcohol coats the mouth but doesn't linger much.

O - Not what I expected based on the name of the beer, but definitely a fine in-state beer that is worth trying. I would buy this again if they brew more.

09-09-2011 05:48:29 | More by Bonis
seeswo

3.68/5  rDev -6.8%

Poured into Lost Abbey stem.

Pours a clear, dark- golden copper with a minimal tan head. Looks syrupy. The nose is vanilla/oak/bourbon with orange rind hops. Smells nice, but light. The taste is dominated by oak and boozy bourbon with just a very mild syrup-hop flavor like found in an imperial IPA that isn't very hoppy. It actually melds decently. If the oak were to be turned down just a touch, it would work really well for me. As is, I am surprised at how this comes together. The mouthfeel is pretty syrupy with a slightly bitter finish and low-medium carbonation. Nice. Overall, this is definitely a winner relative to expectations.

08-17-2011 01:42:30 | More by seeswo
ngeunit1

3.98/5  rDev +0.8%

A - Pours a hazy rich copper-orange color with a very thin layer of white head. The head fades quickly leaving behind a touch of lace.

S - Aroma is full of Bourbon. Lots and lots of it. There is just a bit of hops that mix there way into the nose in the background if you try and find them.

T - Starts off with a mild and growing Bourbon flavor. The hop flavor is a bit more noticeable than in the nose. Through the middle, some vanilla and oak flavors come through with some hop bitterness. The finish is big on the Bourbon and booze with a just a bit of bitterness that lingers.

M - Medium-full bodied with mild carbonation. Feels smooth and just a touch syrupy. The Bourbon really warms the mouth as it finishes.

D - Pretty drinkable. The Bourbon flavor is fairly strong, but that is not a bad thin in my opinion. A bit more hop flavor here really could have made for a winner.

08-05-2011 05:28:10 | More by ngeunit1
ColdPoncho

3.68/5  rDev -6.8%

A twist-off that I used an opener for. odd. Poured into my brand spanking new Jackie O's snifter!

A - deep copper body, mostly clear, very low white head, settling to a modest film and small ring.

S - Sweet bourbony and vanilla-y notes are the first thing I noticed. some caramel and woody notes. If you try real hard, you can smell some citrusy hops.

T - sweet bourbon and vanilla are really at the forefront here too. some alcohol notes, and a dry citrus hop finish. It's a bit heavy on the bourbon, if you ask me, but still pretty good. Some spicy hops throughout are accentuated by the carbonation

M - medium body, somewhat aggressive carbonation, moderately light.

O (D) - interesting for sure, but I think the bourbon just covers up everything else a bit too much.

06-25-2011 21:59:49 | More by ColdPoncho
Beejay

A: A rusty pale orange, hazy, with a large fluffy white head with plenty of fish eyes.

S: Very strong bourbon and oak smells. This is dominated by vanilla, and a touch of corn. There is a nice malty sweetness to this, and a touch of bread.

T: Some malty sweetness, and a touch of herbal/floral hops, with a clean lingering bitterness in the finish. You can really taste the bourbon in this oaky, vanilla, and a hint of the bourbon itself. Nice, the bitterness is good, but the hoppiness is fairly subtle, especially for something called hop flood. Still, damn good.

M: Slightly syrupy, medium to full bodied. Carbonation is low but it fits the style.

O: Overall I like the flavor, I really like the bourbon. But I would like to see the hops shine through a bit more.

06-15-2011 01:29:12 | More by Beejay
bamadog

Kentucky

Review is from notes taken on 5/30/2011 and poured from the bottle to a snifter.

Appearance: WTF? A twist cap? Pour is a dark orange, coppery color; starts with a short, 1/2 finger slightly off-white head that fades immediately to nothing other than a scant set of islands in the center and a thin, uneven ring around the surface; body shows just a little bit of haze and a few lines of quick carbonation; no lacing is left behind.

Smell: A fair amount of piney/grassy hops; big caramel maltiness underneath and it reminds me a little bit of a candied apple; fair presence of alcohol in the nose, with a bit of an astringent, vanilla oakiness.

Taste: An interesting blend of the big, piney and bitter hops with the more dominant caramel maltiness (I wouldn't mind trying the base beer before the barrel aging); the astringent and vanilla-sweet oak makes a presence, as does the warming alcohol. I'm a little reminded of SZRP of Doom (I'm not saying it's quite as good as Founders' offering, but I'm reminded of it), if it was a little bigger and thicker of body, it would a closer contender.

Mouthfeel: Body is medium in weight, and actually comes across a little drier than I thought it would based upon the smell (it just kind of smelled like something that would be more syrupy and oily); carbonation is soft, but still makes its presence felt; gums are left tingly and the belly is left warm from the ABV.

Overall: Rivertown may win me over yet -- I've had a few of their offers and I haven't been largely impressed, but this one definitely has my attention. Drinkability is a little more moderate because of the big array of flavors and higher ABV, but it's a great sipper. I wouldn't mind picking up a few more of these to see how they do with a little bit more time on them.

05-31-2011 01:29:04 | More by bamadog
ltjska04

Kentucky

4.58/5  rDev +15.9%

The latest entry in Party Source's barrel aging project is the first in the series by local upstart Rivertown Brewing Company. The label lists the ingredients as German pale malt, German ale yeast, and a bevvy of hops including Bravo, Pearle, Cascade, Centennial, Simcoe, Amarillo, Citra, Chinook, and Zeus. I'm sure the bourbon barrel will play a prominent role as well.

From the twist-off bottle into my snifter, this beer is a murky reddish-mahogany in color with barely any semblance of head. A few small streams of bubbles rise from the bottom of the glass but this is obviously not very carbonated. An amber glow surrounds my glass.

The first smell that hits me is candy corn. Vanilla from the bourbon and sweetness from the malt combine for a real treat for the olfactory sense. A few wafts of bourbon also rise and give a depth of aroma. I could smell this all night; it's up there with the best.

A funny thing happens with the taste: no hops. I was expecting this to be at least an IPA-level hoppy beer with a name like Hop Flood but alas, the bourbon and sweetness cover up all the all-star hops included in this beer. The taste is not piney, citrusy, floral, or any other characteristic you would expect from the laundry list of hops employed. In their place is a rich and complex malty experience that is hugely enhanced by the bourbon barrel. Very poor choice of name I must say. Rating the taste by the title I'd give it a 1.5-2.0, but judging by the vague American Strong Ale moniker, I'd say it's pretty damn good. Vanilla, bourbon, and malt are the stars here.

Mouthfeel is as expected for a barrel-aged beer. Low carbonation and very smooth and just right for the experience. The only clue of the hops in here appears in a bit of lingering bitterness that cuts the vanilla sweetness a bit short but probably saves the beer from being overly cloying.

Overall this is an excellent beer; definitely my favorite to come out of Rivertown so far and probably surpassing my recent favorite local: Quaff Bros Nola's Rye. It is not what I expected (Imperial IPA aged in bourbon barrel which I was really looking forward to), but still ends up being excellent. It seems like the brewers had a little bit of each hop variety left over and threw them all in early in the boil; or maybe this has been aging a long time in the barrel. Either way, don't expect a hoppy experience but do expect an excellent drinking experience. At $3 a bottle I will definitely be stocking up on more of this.

EDIT: After contacting the brewer, I've discovered this is a 9% ABV American Strong Ale that was aged in rye whiskey barrels for 2 months. Also, they did not name the beer but it is in reference to the flooding of the Ohio River.

05-30-2011 04:21:04 | More by ltjska04
Quaff Bros Hop Flood from Rivertown Brewing Co.