Roebling Imperial Robust Porter - Rivertown Brewing Co.

Roebling Imperial Robust PorterRoebling Imperial Robust Porter

good

Rivertown Brewing Co. visit their website
Ohio, United States

American Porter |  7.80% ABV

Brewed with imported sweet vanilla beans, cold pressed espresso/coffee & raw cane sugars.

(Beer added by: Beejay on 10-22-2011)

Schwinnisbest, Nov 01, 2014

kimka, Mar 18, 2014

Among the cheapest of the thick, dark beers at my neighborhood store, I decided to give this a try and then looked up the rating when I got home. I was pretty disappointed, but when I re-read the label's description, I didn't see how I couldn't like it unless the brewers were delusional in their claims.

I put it away and waited to drink it until I wasn't sure which of the ones remaining had a poor review, so I wasn't setting myself up to not enjoy my weekly beer.

I was NOT disappointed with this in any way. It was a delight, all-around - my analysis below:

A - Poured into a pint glass with about two of my smallish fingers of head. The glass was clean when it was gone. It's quite dark with nothing to see through.

S - It smells of fruit, vanilla, caramel, and malt. I even sat and sniffed it until the head was gone.

T - My first sip had me telling my wife how pleasant it was. It was clean and generally yummy because it has such a nice caramel and malt tone. I had no need for any chips, but I was in the mood for Nacho Cheese Doritos and was washing down the chips with the beer instead of the other way around.

M - Almost no carbonation. It was smooth and creamy-ish. Just a light coating in the mouth that lingers and makes you savor it like anything else that tastes great and stays behind in your mouth after swallowing.

O - I had given up on Porters in favor of stouts until this. I'm not an expert but I'm developing a mental catalogue of what tastes and the descriptions used on labels are up my alley. For the price, I'm going to stock up on this as a very, very nice drink to enjoy without spending $4-$5 per bottle for the barleywine style and more expensive RIS bottles.

NoHorsePiss, Apr 17, 2014

boogieman6, Sep 16, 2014
4.95/5  rDev +36%

I tried this beer at Rivertowns grand-opening of their taproom. I've been a fan since I stumbled upon it a few weeks ago.
The rich roastly smell accompanied by the malty chocolate taste goes down really smooth.
I really do not understand why this beer has not received better reviews. I realize I'm new to this hobby of beer tasting and such, but this beer is just awesome. Mad props to the fellas at Rivertown for a great experience at the taproom and for making some damn good beer.
Cheers

friesec, May 03, 2012
4.8/5  rDev +31.9%

Had this at the tap room Nitro style!
A- poured in a plastic cup, Geeze had to wait a minute for the carbination to settle before I could get my full pour! Dark head tons -o-mini bubbles.
S- Hints of coffee and chocolate
T- Oh man, extra smooth nitro coco coffee richness! Very pleasing to the taste buds!
M- Oh man again, rich and creamy toasty goodness, full mouthfeel pleasure, leads to a nice dry coco finish
O- To be honest I don't care for porters. But dude I am turned! This a very smooth rich and creamy coco sensation! Not sweet but rich in flavor, I got to eat the barley put into the brew and it is delish! Not nearly as good as just plain barley but man a excellent beer!

edfish, Nov 21, 2012

cd_beer_disapear, Mar 28, 2014

Nick_Foltz, Mar 09, 2013
4.3/5  rDev +18.1%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4.25

My deviation was quite heigh so I feel as if I must clarify the reason.

A - black with brown highlights. Vary little light passes through.

S - sweet chocolate, coffee, vanilla, slight roasted malt.

T - taste is the same of the smell. Vanilla, chocolate, slight coffee. There is a sweetness but not over bearing and does not become cloying even as it warms.

M - slightly on the thin side becaue it is labled as a "robust" or "imperial" porter.

O - I really enjoy this as a desert drink. It's a beer brewed with vanilla beans, expresso and cane sugar and that is what it taste like. Certainly not the most complex beer but it taste good. No, it might not fit the style category perfectly but it is enjoyable.

davemathews68, Jan 01, 2014
4.28/5  rDev +17.6%

Served in a bottle at Molly Malones. Nice dark color with a deep tan head. Smell is of deep chocolate and slight vanilla. Taste is definitely chocolate heavy. Espresso flavor was lost on me. Nicely balanced with a vanilla finish. Behind the winter this is my favorite beer from them. 7.8%abv

yeahman, Dec 15, 2011

Freehouse, Oct 17, 2014

jminch, Aug 07, 2014

wildcatboy, Jul 23, 2014
4.25/5  rDev +16.8%

I thought this was a fine porter. A lot of character and flavor. The vanilla and sweetness were a bit too much for me, but the coffee and dark chocolate bitterness did go a long way in balancing out the flavor.

A: Dark as the night with a decent low lacing head
S: Very strong dark chocolate
T: Deep slightly bitter chocolate with a hint of vanilla
M: It came in at average for a dark beer, which was still quite present
O: I enjoyed the beer, I thought it could have used a bit less sweetness and vanilla it almost felt unnatural, but it is a great beer to split with some friends...especially those who are just treading into darker territory.

CAF, Sep 12, 2014

ninaturner, Sep 26, 2014

bcuz7, Sep 09, 2014

spmiller86, Jun 09, 2013
Roebling Imperial Robust Porter from Rivertown Brewing Co.