1. Extreme Beer Fest tickets go on sale Sat, Sep 27 @ Noon EDT.

Roebling Imperial Robust Porter - Rivertown Brewing Co.

Roebling Imperial Robust PorterRoebling Imperial Robust Porter

good

Rivertown Brewing Co. visit their website
Ohio, United States

American Porter |  7.80% ABV

Brewed with imported sweet vanilla beans, cold pressed espresso/coffee & raw cane sugars.

(Beer added by: Beejay on 10-22-2011)
3.5/5  rDev -3.3%

whendeathsleeps, Jan 12, 2013

Ohiovania, Jan 08, 2013

Boilerfood, Dec 28, 2012

tripledbrew, Dec 19, 2012

Buck6196, Dec 15, 2012
3.75/5  rDev +3.6%

Rivertown Roebling poured a nice dark color with a head that dissipated quickly. Smell is distinct and chocolate. This is rich and sweet with vanilla being to dominate to enjoy more then a few. I get a little bit of the coffee note. Not my first choice but I like it more now then the first taste.

patpbr, Dec 05, 2012
3.55/5  rDev -1.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

A: Pours opaque, dark brown. Might as well be black. Almost no head, and what little does form fades away almost instantly.
S: Several competing aromas. Chocolate and vanilla, some coffee, and a bit of caramel. Bit of an assault, really.
T: All of the scents jostle for attention in the taste. The chocolate and vanilla make the biggest cases for attention while the coffee seems content to linger around the end. Sweet overall with no real hop quality to speak of.
M: Quite full, even a little chewy. Carbonation seems moderately low.
Overall: It's not bad beer, but not my favorite. Not as well balanced as it could be with not much to round out the dominant sweetness.

fauxpunker, Nov 25, 2012
4.8/5  rDev +32.6%

Had this at the tap room Nitro style!
A- poured in a plastic cup, Geeze had to wait a minute for the carbination to settle before I could get my full pour! Dark head tons -o-mini bubbles.
S- Hints of coffee and chocolate
T- Oh man, extra smooth nitro coco coffee richness! Very pleasing to the taste buds!
M- Oh man again, rich and creamy toasty goodness, full mouthfeel pleasure, leads to a nice dry coco finish
O- To be honest I don't care for porters. But dude I am turned! This a very smooth rich and creamy coco sensation! Not sweet but rich in flavor, I got to eat the barley put into the brew and it is delish! Not nearly as good as just plain barley but man a excellent beer!

edfish, Nov 21, 2012
3.2/5  rDev -11.6%

Picked up a single of this a few days ago... stepped out front with a Partegas this morning and brought this along with me...

Extremely subdued aromas present here... the roasted malts don't even jump out... they are there as is a little vanilla and maybe a kiss of hops but for the most part this seems rather non descript...

Roasted malts dominate pretty much as expected... hints of some hops here and there as well as a little vanilla...reminds. me more of a schwarzbier with the thin palate on it... not sure there's anything "Robust" going on here but its not offensive either... not detecting the booze so its well hidden... not getting much vanilla either...

This isn't a bad beer but it isn't anything I care to seek out... I'd drink it on tap at a bar but wont be making any trips to the stote with this on my list if you get my drift...

Tilley4, Nov 20, 2012

biscuitroller, Nov 14, 2012

danwho, Nov 12, 2012
4.2/5  rDev +16%

12oz bottle
Served in a perfect pint glass

A - It has a dark brown body with ruby highlights. I rather timid pour yielded a half a glass of tan head.

S - At first I didn't get much, but as it warmed the chocolate and vanilla aromas came out.

T - It starts out with some chocolate and then I get some vanilla in the middle. Some chocolate lingers on my palate after each drink.

M - Medium

O - I really like this beer. I have only had it on tap until this serving, and the bottle lived up to the draft. I would be satisfied with drinking this all winter.

buschbeer, Nov 10, 2012
3.93/5  rDev +8.6%

This one is dark, almost black but that it lets a little brown peek through. The tan head that forms is small but tight, lasts for neither a long or short time, and leaves just enough spotting to be what I would consider slightly above average in appearance.
There's a bit of a roasted malts note going on here, which isn't traditional but that I do like. Otherwise, some dark cocoa nib comes through strongest. There's the faintest touch of vanilla sweetness that is hard for me to get at first. It comes out more strongly as it sits to counter the robust, malty sort of bitterness.
The body isn't as big as it should be, at an average medium, slightly lacking richness and depth as it goes. It may be that it's only got a bit of smoothness to it, that the carbonation is present but doesn't "move," per se, but whatever it is, it could use a bit more. Otherwise, this is the best or close to it that I've tried from Rivertown to memory.

Brenden, Oct 31, 2012

jaidenjb, Oct 13, 2012

HopHeadInOhio, Sep 09, 2012

a74gent, Aug 21, 2012

seeswo, Jul 28, 2012
3.5/5  rDev -3.3%

danoble1, Jun 14, 2012
4.95/5  rDev +36.7%

I tried this beer at Rivertowns grand-opening of their taproom. I've been a fan since I stumbled upon it a few weeks ago.
The rich roastly smell accompanied by the malty chocolate taste goes down really smooth.
I really do not understand why this beer has not received better reviews. I realize I'm new to this hobby of beer tasting and such, but this beer is just awesome. Mad props to the fellas at Rivertown for a great experience at the taproom and for making some damn good beer.
Cheers

friesec, May 03, 2012

leinie13, Apr 28, 2012
3.18/5  rDev -12.2%

A - dark brown body with ruby light on the edges and a weak light tan head of big bubbles.

S - Sweet fruitiness, vanilla, hint of astringent menthol. It's actually ok

T - Roasty and a bit of vanilla, but its astringent again, and a bit reminiscent of mouthwash. Oh well

M - a presence of carbonation tingles the tongue, and the astringency dries it out. It's a medium body that is moderately unpleasant.

O - well, I mean, it's ok. I keep trying these rivertown beers for some reason, but I consistently dislike them.

ColdPoncho, Apr 15, 2012
3.13/5  rDev -13.5%

Poured from a bottle into a La Fin Du Monde snifter. Dark, clear mahogany color with a slight ruby tint. Decent size head very quickly fizzles out. Nose is faint with a slight vanilla cola note to it. Not really getting any coffee or roasty tones.

Medium-bodied beer with a fairly thin mouthfeel. There is a good deal of vanilla, especially at the front of the palate, but unfortunately there isn't really enough malty sweetness to complement it. I know this beer is made with coffee, but I'm not getting any coffee notes from it. I get some vanilla, then some hops, and that's about it.

I tried this beer at a tasting and really liked it (perhaps I had a different version of it). This bottle was a big disappointment. I was hoping for something creamy-feeling, with sweet malt and vanilla balancing out some bitter, roasty coffee tones. What I got was fizzy, vanilla-flavored tonic water. This was a great idea for a beer (a vanilla and coffee imperial porter). Unfortunately, it was rather poorly executed. I seriously hope that Rivertown goes back to the drawing board on this and changes a few things. If they do, I'll try it again.

deadonhisfeet, Apr 08, 2012

ryancorn, Apr 07, 2012

jt6174, Feb 03, 2012
2.28/5  rDev -37%

On draft at Bodega:

Served in a shaker pint. Black, no head, no lace.

Smells of vanilla extract, cocoa beans, and heady dark english malts.

The flavor isn't exactly bad, but the vanilla flavor is overwhelming and artificial. It overshadows everything else (aside, maybe, from the Hershey chocolate syrup flavor).

Medium bodied with lower than adequate carbonation.

I wound up giving up on the attempt to finish this glass and just ordered something else instead.

Spider889, Jan 28, 2012
Roebling Imperial Robust Porter from Rivertown Brewing Co.