Pestilence - Rivertown Brewing Co.

PestilencePestilence

poor

Rivertown Brewing Co. visit their website
Ohio, United States

Flanders Oud Bruin |  5.40% ABV

Pestilence is a sour brown ale brewed with 7 varieties of malted barley and wheat, organic whole Hibiscus flower pedals and spicy hops from the Hallertau growing region of Bavaria. The name Pestilence is derived from the ancient biblical term for infection or plague. Through a natural process called sour mashing, we expose the mash to airborne elements for a period of 48 hours allowing for a natural infection to arise causing the beer to sour. After this process is complete, we collect the sweet, sour runnings and introduce the spicy hops. We then boil it for a period of 1 hour and steep it with fresh hibiscus flower pedals. The end result is a wonderfully aromatic blend of fresh botanical herbs and mouth puckering sourness.

(Beer added by: deadonhisfeet on 03-03-2012)
« first ‹ prev | 1-25 | 26-50  | next › last »

MSandahl23, May 11, 2013
1.75/5  rDev -26.8%

Boilerfood, May 11, 2013
1.18/5  rDev -50.6%

Pours out of the bottle looking like a fairly normal beer. I try normally to review the appearance before the aroma but with this beer I just can't....
The aroma dominates. Puke is the only thing that comes to mind. Bile and vomit and acidic aromas overtake the whole room.
I out my nose near this beer attempting to sniff it and I feel immediately like I am going to vomit. It's very hard but I'm going to try to the a sip
Sip went off horribly. It honestly tastes better than it smells.. By a lot. But still not good. That and the mouthfeel is weird. Overall this is one of the worst beers I've ever had. Worse than triple bock by a lot. A huge fail of a beer

Urbancaver, Apr 14, 2013
3.33/5  rDev +39.3%

12oz bottle poured into a tulip
A: Muddy brown, noticeable yeast particles, a 1/2-finger head that disappears almost as soon as it's poured
S: Melt down some toffee/caramel/butterscotch, pour in some cream & add a handful of flowers. That combination is what I smell. Intriguing, but not necessarily something I want to smell all day
T: A strong sourness is the first thing that comes across. I like acidity in beverages and this is very strong. Tart green apple up front, a large squeeze of lemon & lime, and just a bit of the sweetness & toffee characteristic from the nose on the finish
M: Thin & puckeringly sour though not unpleasant if you don't mind the sourness
O: While perhaps not for everyone, I enjoyed taking my time to sip and contemplate this beer. I think it's my first time trying the style, and I will definitely search out more. Based on this one bottle, I would love to see Rivertown do a collaboration with Cleveland's Indigo Imp. I will also add I really like the layout/design of the beer's label.

ONUMello, Mar 27, 2013

alexknuckles, Mar 03, 2013

SDG1070, Jan 01, 2013
2.5/5  rDev +4.6%

FalconA, Dec 27, 2012
3.48/5  rDev +45.6%
look: 3 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

1 pint mason jar. It is not really a growler. Party Town in Florence fills pint jars and growlers.
Served in a flute

A - It looks like the jar was filled from a mud puddle. There is some brown sludge on the bottom of the jar. A fairly aggressive pour yielded me a couple inches of tan head.

S - I get some tart aromas and I swear I get some cocoa.

T - I get some tartness through the middle. It tastes similar to green apples. That's about it. There is no lingering sourness and really no other flavor than the green apple.

M - Moderate.

O - It's different. I would either prefer more sourness or some other flavors to go with the tartness.

buschbeer, Dec 27, 2012
2.5/5  rDev +4.6%

gpawned, Dec 24, 2012

meanmutt, Dec 22, 2012
2.7/5  rDev +13%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2 | overall: 2.5

Thanks dakkon54. Ive heard things about this beer, but here we go.

It pours a light murky brown with a nice stream of carbonation. Those bubbles are feeding nothing, literally. Small ring for a head.

The smell has lots of dry grain. Kind of smells like Brett ran rampant for a long time on this sucker. Oud Bruin for sure.

Oh the taste is interesting for sure. It starts off very nice. Tart cherries and dark fruits come out straight away, with that nice amount of Flanders Red tartness to it. I really like it up until that point, then theres this flavor that comes in. Its like dry nutty grainy chocolate. It leaves this peanuty like feeling of dryness when I exhale.

I really wish It had stayed with the original flavors, but not. I dont get any floral hibiscus notes at all, which is kind of a disappointment.

VncentLIFE, Nov 16, 2012
1.93/5  rDev -19.2%

Tasted blindly courtesy of the Blind BIF. Poured into Founders snifter.

Appearance: Color is somewhere between dark amber red and brown. Very thin head, and very little lacing.

Smell: There is something rather foul in the smell. I'm not going to go so far as to call it poop, but it is in that general direction. Let's give it the benefit of the doubt and say basement must, but I have never smelled this before in a beer. Slight fruity berry flavor, in a "these strawberries have been sitting in the fridge for a month" kind of way.

Taste: Oxidized to hell and back. Wet cardboard dominates the backend of the sip. Up front there is a very acetic tartness, and a bit of a mild fruity berry flavor. Decent malt profile, the beer is kind of sweet in spite of the tartness. Really stale aftertaste that I don't like at all.

Mouthfeel: Medium bodied, and pretty well carbed despite the lack of head.

Drinkability: Not very good - this beer is past its prime.

Overall: I think there was perhaps once something tasty here, but age has not been kind.

cbeer88, Oct 28, 2012
1.75/5  rDev -26.8%

Envelopes, Oct 17, 2012
1.15/5  rDev -51.9%

On tap in tulip at Bodega on 4/26/12

Medium, rusty brown color. A one half finger head leaves only bubbles around the collar and a few drips of lace.

This smelled like Jolly Ranchers and trash can at first. Then like sour candy. It's waaay sugary. Floral overtones and dirty water. This smells like bad candy, not beer. Oh boy, it tastes like bad candy, too. Tart dark fruits and sour apple. The finish has a puckering notion rattled with musty, dirty lingerings. Carbonation is brash, hurtling anger amid the sourness. Light body with an unpleasant finish.

If sour candy is your thing, you might like this. It ain't for me though. The base brown ale is basically not there.

There's a reason this stayed on tap at Bodega for weeks and weeks. No one was buying it because it sucks.

Ryan011235, Sep 06, 2012

csustar001, Jul 16, 2012

jsurfs82, Jul 14, 2012

Mark000, Jul 08, 2012
1.5/5  rDev -37.2%

Hands down the worst beer I've had in ages.

This beer is pestilence personified. A plague in a bottle.

Poured a rich brown color with slight hints of red when illuminated. No head at all. Decent enough look for a Flanders Bruin.

The smell was the first sign that something was wrong. Very wrong. Candied walnut, blue cheese and vomit. Disgusting. Where's the fruit? Where's the acetic or lactic? Alls I gets is gastric acid.

The taste followed. There's moderate acidity. There's some hibiscus adding floral tartness. But this honestly tastes like dead baby's vomit. Seriously, stuff me full of walnuts, hibiscus and blue cheese and give me an hour and I'll puke up this beer. So much butyric acid it's not even funny. This should be pulled from shelves.

Mouthfeel was OK. Carbonation was light and airy.

Overall, avoid this. Or drink it if you're into atrocious beer. I'd drink Crazy Ed's and Mama Mia every day for the rest of my life if I never had to have this again. Piss poor, especially considering the greatness of the Rivertown Lambic. We know you can do better, Rivertown, don't sell beer that you *have* to know is just really, really bad.

A beer so bad I had to come out of review retirement to write this.

jampics2, Jun 20, 2012
2.25/5  rDev -5.9%

vrbulldog22, Jun 12, 2012
2.98/5  rDev +24.7%

I don't know if the people of Rivertown don't understand calenders and have bought into the hype of the 2012 "Mayan Apocalypse" junk or if it's just a marketing ploy, but I do like the "Pestilence" name/theme, and I won't let my disdain for the apocalyptic crowd affect my judgement of the brew.

An aggressive pour netted me a thin half finger of head that was gone before I could get a good read on the color. Body is a mahogany color with not even an attempt at lacing. Lots of bubbles noted though.

Head wasn't bad to begin with. Nice malt, a little flower; and then the cheese reared it's head. It's like a whiff of cheap cheese-food.

Thank goodness I don't taste cheese. Flavor is a light sour apple with vinegar spirit. A bit of flower and lemon comes through on the end.

Mouthfeel is light, with carbonation very much present, but not overly biting. Washes down clean, not sticky.

CFHMagnet, Jun 10, 2012
2.33/5  rDev -2.5%

Thanks Patrick for leaving this one behind last weekend...

Deep reddish orange brown when held to the light. A wispy layer of tan skim sits on the surface, soon becoming glassy.

Smell starts out a bit weird, with some cider vinegar and sulfur/ammonia notes of overripe cheese, settling down more into some dried mushroom, buttered biscuit, and mushy stone fruit territory. Something in there vaguely reminds me of apple butter and Rodenbach, but ultimately it just seems off.

Bright sourness, crisp at first then quickly becoming watery with an odd smoky note. Citric acid and some weird smoky, vegetal dandelion notes in the middle, dry finish with a (thankfully?) nonexisitent aftertaste. Very sour initially, astringent, then oddly bland and fleeting.

Not sure what to make of this Sour Brown Ale/Oud Bruin, it definitely needs some finessing to make it work. Out of 40 Oud Bruin reviews, this was the second worst.

emerge077, May 31, 2012
« first ‹ prev | 1-25 | 26-50  | next › last »
Pestilence from Rivertown Brewing Co.