Drie Fonteinen Schaerbeekse Kriek - Brouwerij Drie Fonteinen

Brouwerij Drie Fonteinen visit their website

Lambic - Fruit |  6.00% ABV

Beer added by: Rastacouere on 05-24-2004

4.4/5  rDev -1.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4

750ml bottle vintage 2008 from K&L generously shared by alfrantzell. Thanks a lot, Arne! This is one of the more difficult names to spell, as evidenced by the fact that it's spelled differently on BA vs. RB. Both sites do agree, however, that it's a damn fine beer, and I also agree with this assessment.

Pours a deep, clear crimson color with a decent pink head that bubbles away fairly quickly.

Aroma is loads of tart cherries, oak, and funkiness, including my favorite aroma: horseblanket. It's like they took an old blanket off the dirtiest, sweatiest horse in the barn and threw it right into the fermenter. I love it.

Flavor is also really awesome and heavy on the cherry. Somewhat sour with brett and lacto/pedio. Very earthy and oaky. More funky horseblanket and definite hints of other cloths used to cover various livestock and zoo creatures, whatever those may be.

Dry, acidic, and lively on the palate. Medium body. Exactly to style on the mouthfeel.

Drinkability is good but not quite outstanding. Overall though, this beer is outstanding. Easily one of the better fruit lambics out there.

4.22/5  rDev -5.4%

Vintage 2010. The beer is clouded bright red, a small pink head, no lacing but curtains.

The smell is very intriguing, or really pungent, old stable and manure. Very bretty!

The taste is much fresher than the smell, apple vinegar, some cherry and red ripe berries.

Medium high carbonation, a fresh feeling, a complex body, and a dry finish.

So far the most complex kriek I've tried, very demanding.

3.91/5  rDev -12.3%

750 mL. Lovely color, pinkish/orange color wiht a light pink head. Good nose of lambic and cherries. Phenomenal cherry fruit character, natural, pure, juicy and lingering on the palate. Mouth feel seems a bit off. Awfully outstanding still, but not my favorite of 3F.

4.4/5  rDev -1.3%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

750ml, bottled 12/21/2011, poured into a Surly goblet today, 1/20/2014- a bit more than 2 years of age.

App- dark ruby body, thick in appearance, effervescent pink head that sticks for a while. Some lacing. Looks a bit thick and custardy, as if it is cherry jam.

Nose- lot of barnyard funk, vinegar, lactate. Fruitiness is faint cherry, quite tart. Some oak.

Flavour- even more funk, vinegar. 6/10 sourness. Complex cherry tartness comes forth, some oak. Cherry tartness is different from regular krieks in that it is not juicy nor sweet, as even in beers like Cherry Rye, but it is clearly a very tart cherry flavour with fairly minimal sweetness. Very interesting cherry pie-like flavour.

Mouthfeel- medium bodied, well carbonated. Finish is dry with lots of cherry tartness on the backend. Very easy to drink.

Overall- very interesting tart cherry flavour, much more organic and tart than that of Intense Red Kriek. Quite sour and interesting. Glad I saved this one for a year after my Belgium trip.

3.87/5  rDev -13.2%

A- Pours a slightly hazy reddish color with an almost pinkish colored head. Head diminished into a thin ring of retention and left spotty lacing.

S- Smells of sour cherries and a bit of pale malts. Not too much else.

T- A nice blast of cherries with a hint of vanilla. A bit of wood in there too.

M- Light in body and fairly low in carbonation.

D- Based on the way it looked I thought I was in deep trouble, but I could probably drink this one on my own even though it doesn't seem like a beer to me.

3.75/5  rDev -15.9%

4.25/5  rDev -4.7%

3.94/5  rDev -11.7%

Chilled bottle into a glass. 2008 vintage. I've missed every single bottle of this opened at tastings, except one where I got to enjoy the dregs (mmm... lambic dregs and the effect they have on my stomach!).

I was also beginning to think I am allergic to Cantillon based on a few unpleasant experienced recently, so I decided to take the plunge and open this. It helped me answer a few pressing questions:

1) Am I allergic to lambic in general, or just Cantillon?
2) Is this beer really worth $35 a bottle?
3) Is this the fruitiest beer largadeer has ever had, along with Fou' Foune, Hommage, and Lou Pepe Framboise 07?

A: Despite letting the beer sit, undisturbed, for days in the fridge and despite a careful pour, it winds up a very murky, dark raspberry red in my glass. There isn't much carbonation aside from a very thin collar at the edge of the glass. No lacing.

S: Beautiful, vibrant cherry. Wow, this is the fruitiest beer largadeer has ever smelled. I, on the other hand, find it remarkable but not mind-blowing. There isn't a lot of sourness on the nose; it's really tart cherry skins with a mild aroma of funk. A touch of wood with some spice (nutmeg?) to it.

T: From the way largadeer babbled about this being the fruitiest ____ he's ever had, I expect this to taste like cherry pie. It doesn't have the vibrancy I would expect; I guess the age has taken some of the fruit away. It doesn't have any pronounced bacterial character: not too much tartness or sourness. It's not dry. It is lightly funky and tannic in the finish, with an emphasis on the fruit. I get the feeling I would have enjoyed this more fresh, but I'm amazed at how balanced and well structured this beer is. No bracing sourness or any one dominating characteristic. Very enjoyable.

M: Great mouthfeel. The low carbonation makes it very soft. The flavors come out without too much acidity or tartness or sourness. Cherries are fading a bit, as I noted above.

D: I liked it, but at the risk of earning alfrantzell's wrath and being a target for Narke Xantus, Pt. II, I thought it wasn't worth $35. I will try it once more fresh and see if that changes my impression, but I can certainly say the price is not worth it for an aged bottle. On the plus side, I seem not to have any reactions to this beer, so maybe it's just Cantillon that bothers me.

4.37/5  rDev -2%

A-slightly hazy light red color with a pale pink head and no significant lacing

S-tart cherry, funk, hints of oak

T-sour cherry, earthy funk, light oak, slight vinegar

F-medium body with moderate carbonation, crisp and puckering

O-a delicious kriek lambic, convinced this is the only style of cherry beer that I like

4.47/5  rDev +0.2%

750ml bottle, split with the wife to accompany a nice pasta dinner. Served in our Cantillon wine glass looking glasses.

The beer looks good in the glass. It's a plum color with ruby, crimson, pink, and brown touches to it. This is a very nice, deep color. There are few signs of life here - the beer looks rather still with just a film of head on top. But that's par for the course with 3F beers, so I'm cool with it. There is also just a touch of noticeable carbonation which relieves me that this beer hasn't turned flat.

Wow, I could smell this beer all day long. A wonderful bouquet of all the things I love about an authentic Kriek beer. A deep sour cherry note is so juicy that I would swear it was fresh if it wasn't for the funkiness that came to join the party. There is a ton of barnyard brett that gives some skunky and dirty smells, but they really work here. A hint of asprin and plastic work with the barnyard to make this a masterpiece. Some lactic acidity blurs the lines of cherry and sour vinegar. If you like the funk, George Clinton ain't got nothing on this beer. Just short of perfection - a bit more cherry on top would make this a 5.

I'm in heaven with the taste of this beer. Seriously, this is amazing. This is so smooth and refined, yet wild and outrageous at the same time. The flavor pops and has tons of sour cherry with a hint of lemon and oak. The funk adds layers of mustiness and barnyard but lets the cherry shine through. A long, sour lactic finish finally concedes to lingering wild notes of dirtiness.

The mouthfeel is medium bodied with low carbonation but nice fizz on the tongue. Without being sparkling, this feels alive. An authentic sour I could drink all day long without suffering from heartburn or loosing the enamel on my teeth. Just amazing business here!

4.8/5  rDev +7.6%

Pours a beautiful, rich raspberry with a silky pink head.

Nose has tart wild cherries, oak, red wine and farmyard funk.

Very sour, lots os funk, cherries and wood.

Crisp clean body is nicely carbonated. Dry, acidic finish.

Very nice lambic, but not really worth the price over the Oud Kriek.

4.84/5  rDev +8.5%

Poured from a bottle into a CCB snifter

A- pours a dark purplish/red. No head at all. Yay for lambic!

S- the aroma is a huge blast of cherries, almost suffocating me. It's amazing

T- the cherry flavor I'm getting out of this is intense, coming off both sweet and sour at the same time

M- body is rather thin, as most lambics are

O- this is fantastic. If only it cost less than $35 a bottle....

4.25/5  rDev -4.7%