Geuze Cuvée J&J (Joost En Jessie) Blauw (Blue) - Brouwerij Drie Fonteinen

Geuze Cuvée J&J (Joost En Jessie) Blauw (Blue)Geuze Cuvée J&J (Joost En Jessie) Blauw (Blue)

Brouwerij Drie Fonteinen visit their website

Gueuze |  6.50% ABV

(Beer added by: TheLongBeachBum on 05-15-2005)
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Raters
t0rin0

4.5/5  rDev -3.8%

09-02-2012 19:56:40 | More by t0rin0
Thorpe429

4.6/5  rDev -1.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

Incredible amount of thanks to Eric for sharing this bottle at Mike's bachelor-party tasting. I had been wanting to try this for quite some time now. Served in a Savor snifter.

Pours with a nice golden hue and a single-finger white head with some good retention as well as a good dose of lacing and a nice collar after that settles down. Light carbonation bubbles atop the beer throughout. How long they would have stayed, I'm not all that sure--try as I might to drink this slowly, I couldn't really help myself. The nose was quite funky with a bit of sourness. A nice oak presence and a lot of horse blanket. This was just extremely pungent.

The taste had some really nice lactic character as well as musty basement notes and some lemon. Good barnyard-y hay character and a slight woodiness. The mouthfeel was quite dry with just enough carbonation. Excellent funk presence throughout with a good amount of sourness to balance. Amazingly complex, this was a bottle I could have consumed all of, and am glad we opened this outside without losing any, especially given the fact that I believe the cork shot out a good 25 feet or more. Cheers, Eric.

12-07-2010 12:04:36 | More by Thorpe429
mikesgroove

South Carolina

4.93/5  rDev +5.3%

reviews from notes

part of the mega sour tasting, i provided this gem which took me the better part of forever and my oldest son to acquire. none the less i made it and was thrilled to be able to bust it out.

Popped with a loud bang and was very active from the onset, that much was for sure. Tons of carbonation rippling through both the bottle and the glass throughout the sesssion, a huge carbonation explosion. Very nice bright amber color with a huge amount of white fizzy head on top. At least four inches of white foam topping off this one made it look wonderful, with a deep cloudy and hazy look to it, I knew it was aged well.

The aroma was so sour and bitter, I had a cheek to cheek grin immediatly. Simply a wonderful aroma here, tons of yeast coming through, lots of light sour grapes and tartness. The flavor was superb, really one of the best I have ever had. The first light notes of sour yeast roll across the tongue and just explode in your mouth, rippling and shredding taste buds all the way. Nice white grapes, light grains, and fresh grass all coming through. As it warmed some more subtle pear and apple characters were coming through now, this was astoundingly complex, so much so I did not really even know where to begin with this. I was floored by the flavor here. The carbonation was huge, keeping it light and airy and really letting every get to a depth that was confoundingly complex. Simply great. I easily threw done the whole bottle, as at only 6% this was simply outstanding. If I had more then one other bottle I would have reached for it immediatly. Long lingering dried out bitter finish had so much complex flavor that I was just letting linger on and on as I did not want to let it stop.

Overall easily one of the best beers, regardless of style that i have ever had the pleasure of drinking.

05-16-2011 01:16:20 | More by mikesgroove
Phyl21ca

Quebec (Canada)

4.53/5  rDev -3.2%
look: 5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Bottle: Poured a dirty cloudy beige color lambic with a huge foamy head with great retention and some really good lacing. Aroma of oak with funky notes of wet leather and barnyard notes is quite sublime. Taste is a very nice complex mix between some acidity similar to what can be found in green apples as well as some oak and barn yard notes. Flavors are very well balanced with good carbonation even though bottle is 7 years old. Even though this is great it still feels to be slightly inferior to the regular Oude Gueuze from 1999 which in my book is still one of the best beer around the world.

08-12-2010 19:34:56 | More by Phyl21ca
womencantsail

4.38/5  rDev -6.4%

Another round of thanks to Jer for opening a ridiculous number of bottles.

A: The pour is orange/amber in color with a towering white head and a staggering level of carbonation.

S: Seems to be a bit more composed than the Roos. Lots of wet oak, hay, lemon, green apple, and grass. There's a nice acidity to the nose along with plenty of "green" funk.

T: The lemon, green apple, and lactic acidity is more pronounced on the palate than the nose lets on. Plenty of must, oak, along with hay and grass. A definite funkiness that I would put under the "barnyard" umbrella.

M: The body is medium with a high level of carbonation and a bone dry finish.

D: Again, the better of the two (Roos and Blauw), but one that I wish I had a bit more frame of reference on (meaning, I wish I'd tried them when they were younger). Still, a really great gueuze.

01-14-2011 01:25:23 | More by womencantsail
spycow

12-07-2011 04:49:01 | More by spycow
ygtbsm94

4.98/5  rDev +6.4%

Drank this superb blended Geuze on many occasions with more to come!

Hazy reddish orange with a huge two finger bright white head, leaving a light film and thin wisps of lace down the glass; perfect!! Aroma is typical Armand geuze with the funkiness you expect from his Lambics. Barnyard, horse blanket, lemon peel, sour apples, drying oak tannins, and a bright acidic tartness; it doesn't get much better than this. I could savour this aroma for hours without a taste from the glass; very complex! Then comes the taste with a nice lemony zest but balanced with other fruit like sweetness and hints of oak and earth and of course funky barnyard, horse blanket, and just the perfect touch of tartness. Mouthfeel has light tannins, delicate, nuanced and well balanced with a nice puckering aftertaste that leaves me drooling for more.

Personally, this once in a life time Geuze is second to none; Fantastic!!!

11-15-2011 01:42:06 | More by ygtbsm94
GRG1313

4.5/5  rDev -3.8%

12-19-2011 23:14:27 | More by GRG1313
JAHMUR

Connecticut

11-14-2011 13:27:00 | More by JAHMUR
largadeer

Thanks for sharing this one, Shane.

This beer gushed forth from the bottle immediately upon uncorking, though we didn't lose any beer or injure anyone in the process of opening it. In the glass it's a cloudy copper color with an enormous head that's fed by massive carbonation. Head retention is outstanding, the beer was topped by a big fluffy white cap of foam for a good 15 minutes.

The aroma is lemony (rotting lemons, specifically) and funky, wet hay and wet dog coming to mind. It's also very woody, musty, mushroom-y.

On the palate it opens with moderate lactic sourness, bitter orange peel and drying oak. Carbonation is high, almost champagne-like. Flavors of lemon rind, quince and green grape come out mid-palate. The sourness is nicely balanced by the wood, with a long tannic and drying finish.

I've had this beer on many occasions and next to some other world-class lambic, and it's consistently a favorite of mine. Possibly the best gueuze out there.

11-11-2009 18:20:43 | More by largadeer
westcoastbeerlvr

11-14-2011 18:17:09 | More by westcoastbeerlvr
MasterSki

4.58/5  rDev -2.1%

Sweet Jesus! There are gushers and then there was this beer - as soon as the cage came off the cork flew out and hit d0b in the face. We also managed to get gueuze on two computers, the cat, my DVD cabinet, and the cheese tray. Thankfully no one was permanently blinded and we didn't lose a ton of brew.

A - Once the beer makes it into the glass it looks awesome. Huge billowy foam that eventually dissipates and leaves total glass-coating lacing. Opaque dark apricot color. This is about as good as it gets!

S - OK - there's funky, and then there is this beer. I feel like I'm sniffing a horse in the middle of a musty barn filled with must, dirt, and god knows what else. There's also some lemon sourness, leather, and super tart granny smith apples but after six years this is funk city. I'm not sure where else gueuze can go from this point.

T - The taste is excellent, but not as mind-blowing as the ridiculous smell. There's tons of barnyard funk, must, leather, tart unripened apples, and a crazy persistent dry and tart finish.

M - This is also a "wee" bit overcarbonated - there's some tingly burn on the upper lip and top palate. The texture is surprisingly softer than I tought it would be, and the finish is crazy dry with some light stickiness.

D - While I'd drink one of these on my own I think I might end up with a tummy-ache considering the funkiness. Still, I'd love to do this one again along with the Roos.

09-02-2009 01:22:13 | More by MasterSki
drabmuh

4.15/5  rDev -11.3%

Served at a tasting, side by side, with the J&J Roos. First thing is first. The labels of these beers are great. Oil paintings of a silhouette of a nude female torso profile, its just such a pretty painting. I understand that these beers were originally brewed for the brewer's wedding and the roos was for the wife (naked woman on the label) and the Blau was for the husband (naked man on the label). Great concept.

Beer is yellow and hazy, just like the other one. Head is small bubbles, white to off white.

Aroma is a strong funk and completely sour. More funky than the Roos but still amazing smelling.

There is a lot of citric based sour in this beer. This reminds me a lot of a Cantillon Helena but totally different. Beer is tart and there is a slight sulfur taste really late. Overall this beer is very similar to the Roos, slightly less sour, slightly more funk, and there's some sulfur in the palate. I understand that most people like the Blau over the Roos but I'm the opposite. Both are great but the Roos is slightly better.

02-02-2010 17:36:22 | More by drabmuh
jlindros

4.93/5  rDev +5.3%

I have to give a huge thanks to Chris Lively at Ebeneezers for this one. I don't think I ever would have been able to try it without him. These are coming from my notes that were scribbled a little half-assed as I was too busy drowning in the pure awesomeness of this beer.

A: Pours a cloudy hazy peach-like yellow amber colored with a very light head that fades very quickly.

N: Pure awesomeness. A slight yeasty earthy funk is there, slight Brett like nose that doesn't overpower anything, and knows it's role very well. A slight citrus and sour and tart fruit as well. A slight chardonnay grape like aroma too.

T: OH man, my own tongue is melting into itself with pure joy. The light sour and tangy fruit plays really well with the definite but still held in content funk. It's got a slight barnyard funk with a little yeast and dryness, but nothing overpowering. The slight sour/tart fruit flavors just dance so nicely on the tongue. A little citrus, touch of lemon and I think pink grapefruit, as well as that definite chardonnay wine, which also comes with some oak flavors. I've never had Roos, but from what I've tasted before this is the epitome of what a sour/wild/gueze should be.

M: Lighter body with decent carbonation.

F: It finishes strong but light at the same time, almost like a shell of itself. The nice wild funk flavors slowly fade off the tongue and leave behind the really nice sour tart fruit flavors, but less tart at this point. The dryness that comes with it really makes your mouth water and beg for more. WIth each sip I want the next sip more and more, until alas, I'm staring at my last sip (which was about 10 minutes of staring). Nothing bad on the finish, it finishes basically perfectly.

I really have to thank Chris again for this beer, it was just so amazing, lived up to all the hype. Best sour I have ever had by far. All the people in my party (two of us beer enthusiasts and two non typical beer drinkers) all love this thing to death. If only I could get a good supply of this beer, life would be perfect!

07-06-2010 21:51:56 | More by jlindros
mdfb79

4.85/5  rDev +3.6%

From 04/14/12 notes. I believe Thorpe429 brought this one and Brad brough the Roos, but it could be the other way around. Either way, huge thanks to both fo you for sharing these side by side at the sour tasting; they've been huge wants of mine for a very long time.

a - Pours a murky dark orange-brown color with one inch of white head and moderate carbonation evident. Little bit darker then the Roos.

s - Smells of sour fruits, barnyard funk, oak, earthy notes, citrus, hay, light spice. Ton of sour fruits, very nice nose.

t - Tastes of barnyard funk, sour fruits, sour citrus, lemons, hay, earthy notes, spice, fruity malts, bread. More funk then the nose and even more sour fruits; amazing taste. One of the best tasting gueuzes at the tasting and I've ever had.

m - Medium body and low carbonation. Crisp and easy to drink; perfect mouthfeel.

o - Overall this beer blew me away; one of the best beers I had at the tasting and one of the best sours I've had in general. I think everyone preferred this one to the Roos; I found this one funkier and the Roos with a little more spice. An Awesome beer I really hope I can have again.

04-20-2012 15:44:28 | More by mdfb79
oline73

10-01-2013 19:21:26 | More by oline73
Gueuzedude

Arizona

4.7/5  rDev +0.4%

Quite a gusher, half a second after popping the cork it starts to gush up and out. Luckily my glass was nearby so I didn't really lose any beer. I wasn't even able to get three fingers of beer into my tulip glass before it was full of foam though. The head is a light tan color and it sits on top of a lightly hazy, orangish tinged, light amber colored brew. As the head slowly subsides it produces spotty lacing patterns on the sides of my glass. The aroma is sharp and acidic with a substantial funkiness to it. The tart aromatics are certainly not one dimensional either, it is a mix of lactic, acetic and other funky acids. This smells of ripe cheese (more emmental than cheddar), plus it has a backdrop of funky, more farmhouse cheese notes. This has a substantial barnyard Brettanomyces influence here; goaty, sweaty, with lots of fungal woody notes. Speaking of wood, this seems to be much more wood influenced than your typical Lambic, it is spicy and almost has a cedar like note to it. If you really dig for them, there are still some noticeable grain notes here; these notes are in the finish and are dry, with a distinct character of fresh crushed wheat berries.

The beer is quite well carbonated, which adds a wonderful texture to this brew. It dances across the tongue in a light, airy manner, yet still has a fullness to it that keeps it from being anything near watery. Sharp and acidic, yet not over the top in it tartness; lactic acid notes form the larges component of the sourness, but there is flavors of lemons, sour grapefruit and a hint of acetic acid notes that help to round things out. In the finish there is a woody component that seems to provide some tannic structure as well as some light oaky spiciness. I like that body that this brew has, overall it is light and drinkable, but there is some influence here (tannins from the barrel seem the likely source) that provides this with a certain viscosity and heft that allows for a greater palate presence. The texture actually provides a really nice balance to the tartness, it almost mimics a sweetness in some ways, but most definitely keeps the sourness in check. The wild barnyard funkiness is not as noticeable as it was in the aroma, but still does contribute with notes of woody mushroom, lightly phenolic soaked cotton balls, some fermented bread like yeast character. Funky, phenolics & esters provide a sharpness to the middle of this brew all the while coupling with a substantive astringency. A flavor that is reminiscent of tart grapefruit becomes more noticeable as the beer warms up and overall the beer becomes much rounder and balanced.

This is eminently drinkable, the extra carbonation and slightly greater complexity (especially in the aroma), make me understand why this is better rated than its partner. I am especially relieved to get a Gueuze with actual Gueuze like carbonation levels, though this one might have been a wee bit overdone. The carbonation really is such a defining characteristic of a good Gueuze as it helps to bring to life so much of the aromas and flavors of the brew.

02-14-2008 23:05:05 | More by Gueuzedude

4.25/5  rDev -9.2%

09-30-2013 13:22:10 | More by mendvicdog
corby112

4.8/5  rDev +2.6%

Huge thanks to Chad(cpferris) for getting the hookup so we could have this atbout epic sour tasting.

Pours a very mirky dark golden orange /light copper color with Pours a dark golden orange color with dark hazy ripe banana hues when held to a light source and an insane frothy, pillory white head with the best retention I've ever seen, coating the glass with chunks of soapy lacing.

Very musty funky aroma with lots of horseblanket, barnyard and cobweb. Very subtle dark fruit presence with a lot of lactic creaminess and tart vinous notes. Slight oaky tannis along with some vanilla, vinegar and dark fruit.

Very dry tart sour funky medium body that is amazingly puckering without being acidic. I thought that this would be really harsh and painful in my stomach but it is incredibly drinkable with a lots of crisp lift fruit notes, especially apple and vinous grape as well as a strong vinegary puckering aftertaste that leaves me salivating for more. Subtle lactic creaminess and a nice dark berry presence. I love this damn beer and wish that I could try it again. Highly recommended!

01-10-2010 05:12:58 | More by corby112
weeare138

4.83/5  rDev +3.2%

Much thanks to hopdog for sharing this. We had side by side next to the Pink bottle...
Appears a hazy, light orange with streams of carbon dioxide quickly rising to the top of the white cap. Scattered streaks are left around the glass.
Smell is of tart lemon, punchy, ripe, tropical fruit, along with grapes fill out the flavors.
Taste is of the mentioned aromas, along with vanilla, citrus, pumelo, and caramel.
Mouthfeel is nicely carbonated with balanced feel(though somewhat acidic) all in a solid, medium body.

10-30-2008 02:20:41 | More by weeare138
yourefragile

District of Columbia

4.56/5  rDev -2.6%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.75

750 mL bottle, thanks for sharing Brad.

Pours a dirty golden orange with a retentive finger of white head. Extremely musty and funky nose, lemon sourness, tart apple, lactic and slightly sweet. Flavor has a slight sulfur hint and is more funky than sour. Lemon acidity, tart under ripe green apple, grass, musty funk in flavor; all incredibly balanced without any one dimension dominating each taste. Medium thick, well carbonated, soft body with a crisp, dry finish. Lovely.

03-15-2013 02:12:43 | More by yourefragile
orangesol

4.74/5  rDev +1.3%
look: 4 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

HUGE thanks to Kramer for bringing both Blauw and Roos to Ffej of July IX and allowing me to knock off a pair of long time wants. Blauw first, Roos second.

A - Pours murky reddish orange with a huge two finger tall bright white head, dissipating down to a light film, leaving thin wisps of lace down the glass.

S - Smells of funky basement must, barn yard hay, lemon peel, sour apples, drying oak tannins, and a bright acidic tartness. It kind of smells like ripe cheese with a bit of tartness thrown in. Very nice.

T - Starts off with a big, sharp, acidic kick quickly giving way to a mix of musty funk, wet hay, lemon zest, granny smith apples, and drying oak tannins. The sourness is strong initially but it quickly gets enveloped by the strong barnyard funk. The finish is bone dry, lingering for some time.

M - Medium body and flavor with moderate carbonation. Tart, funky, feel with lots of dryness in the finish. It has an good balance of funk to tart throughout.

O - While I personally preferred the sharp tartness of the Roos to the funky must of the Blauw, this is still an excellent beer. They truly are the perfect complement to each other. Hope I get to try this one again in the future. Thanks again Kramer!

07-13-2011 22:26:27 | More by orangesol
duceswild

09-29-2013 16:20:16 | More by duceswild
mothman

United Kingdom (Wales)

4.63/5  rDev -1.1%

Pours a 1/2 finger of off-white head. Great retention. Leaves some lace. Color is a hazed golden orange. Active carbonation.

Aroma: Sour and funky with some oak. Has a fresh fruit profile with some sour lemon zest. Horse blanket and barnyard funk. I get a hint of grapes as well.

Taste: Wow, it is spot on. A perfect amount of acidic, funk, and fruit. I get blueberries with a big amount of oak. Lemon zest and citrus. It has a barnyard funk and hay with some horseblanket.

Mouthfeel: Fizzy, sour, and tart. Light to medium body with a good amount of carbonation. Ends clean with a light funk.

Overall, probably the best gueuze I have had. Very drinkable. I cannot believe how better this is as compared to others. Wow, it is crazy drinkable. I am very happy with this one.

10-22-2010 22:50:17 | More by mothman