Drie Fonteinen Hommage - Brouwerij Drie Fonteinen

Drie Fonteinen HommageDrie Fonteinen Hommage

Brouwerij Drie Fonteinen visit their website

Lambic - Fruit |  6.00% ABV

Beer added by: Phatz on 10-15-2007

A blend of lambic beers brewed at 3 Fonteinen, with an addition of 30% whole fresh raspberries from the fabled Payottenland and 5% sour cherries. This unfiltered beer will enjoy a spontaneous refermentation in the bottle. No artificial colors or flavor enhancers are added. Lambic is brewed only from 60% barley malt, 40% unmalted wheat, hops and water.

In commemoration of the late Gaston Debelder, founder of the 3 Fonteinen blendings

Batch 1 - 2007
Batch 2 - 2013
4.82/5  rDev +9.3%

Another gem pulled up and out of the cellar. I had been waiting to crack this one for quite some time and rightfully so, with a pricetag and availabilty like this, you take your time. Served at cellar temp and poured into my darkness snifter, this one was consumed on 09/07/2009.

The pour was just what I would expect. Ruby red in color with a light pink head on top. Lightly clouded but with a really nice tone to the color I have to say. Aroma of tart raspberries and hints of horse funk dance through it. Letting it warm brings out a touch of sweeter notes with an even hint of wood peaking b as well. But once you take that first sip there is no going back. Sometimes I think about what I want something to taste like at the moment in time, most times this doesnt happen the way I want, but today, today is different. Today I get what I want. Rich notes of raspberries and tart funk dance along the palate. Puckering the lips and leaving me yearning for another sip. Delicate carbonation lightly pricks the tongue as notes of sour fruit seep their way in. There is no turning back now. Light notes of woody, vinous at times with grapes and touches of sour really clogging up the finish. Minutes after the last taste that sweet, yet tart and spicy not of raspberry still is detected on the tongue.

Overall blown away here. I have alot of sours to go through in the coming week and this was the start of it. I have to say, I am simply thrilled. The price of this one makes it a bit difficult to follow through on but I have to say it will be oh soo worth it in the end.

3.96/5  rDev -10.2%

Beautiful clear ruby red color with a white head that sits atop it. Head falls gracefully until it just sticks around the glass. Aroma is largely of raspberries, but almost like a very light raspberry. I mean that in the sense that it isn't the over the top flavor and slight astringency one would get from actually eating a raspberry, it's more like a raspberry juice was used. There's also some definite cheesy notes in this that I find a bit distracting; various barnyard funk notes are also perceptible, but hidden beneath to me, which is unfortunate. Taste is another story, I actually enjoy it qutie a bit. Same thing again with the raspberry taste, there's no slightly astringent, kick-you-in-the-face raspberry flavor that I love, but it is enjoyable. Lactic tartness is one of the other things that comes right to the forefront, followed by some very pleasing funkiness. If this funkiness and/or the raspberries were a touch stronger, this beer would be much better, especially if some of the cheesy notes were no longer coming through in the nose. About medium carbonation with a decent body on the tongue, followed by a nice dry finish. A good beer that I'd surely have another of, however, price and availability do limit that.

4.12/5  rDev -6.6%

Appearance: Sickly pink-ish head. Pour is a nice ruby-cranberry, beautiful with a backlight.

Smell: Cherries and raspberries, but not raspberry overload. The raspberries are more subdued, like a late-season fruit.

Taste: Raspberries, cherries, and a bit of must/funk. Once again, the raspberries were not nearly as strong as I expected. Also not a lot of sweetness, for which I am thankful.

Mouthfeel: Good carbonation, nice medium-full mouthfeel, a bit dry

Drinkability: Would prefer to share this one.

*NB - the raspberries are much more subdued in this one than I expected, would not age it further.

4.47/5  rDev +1.4%

Chilled bottle into a glass. Split at the T22 party; notes jotted down that night, and finally being uploaded.

A: Pours a murky ruby-orange color like grapefruit juice. The pour stirred up some head, but it didn't retain long and didn't leave much lacing. About expected for the style.

S: Tart red cherries, raspberries, vinegar, oak, and some horse blanket / hay / barnyard imparted from brett funk.

T: Very tart up front with a blast of cherries and raspberries. Has a sour component as well, but it's not too acetic. Lots of tannins in the mid-taste, but the finish is mostly barnyard / horse blanket, and it's much funkier than the nose suggests. A dry finish with lingering raspberry.

M: Light-bodied, with high carbonation that works very well to impart a sharp character and complement the raspberry tartness. A dry finish with great flavor balance of all the other components.

D: I don't remember what this cost, so I'm able to judge this purely on the "would I have this again?" criterion. Yes, I would. I really enjoyed it and thought it was a phenomenal beer, even while triple-fisting it next to Toronado 20th and Cable Car. Please don't tell me how expensive this was.

4.12/5  rDev -6.6%

Generously opened and shared by Yetiman420 at a recent sour tasting.
Pours a murky reddish purple in color. There's about an inch of head/carbonation that forms on the pour and bubbles about the top of the glass.
Smell is very ripe and juicy fruits. Some raspberries and some lactic acid as well. Smells very juicy and inviting.
Taste is more sour fruit and a lot less funky. A decent amount of sour/tartness comes through in the flavor. Personally, I would like more funk and less fruit, I guess aging my bottle should accomplish this. Decent beer.

4.55/5  rDev +3.2%

(From notes)

A - Lightly hazy ruby red-orange color; fizzy white head; the color on this is really interesting

S - Tart dark cherries with fresh berry aromas; touch of funk and only a hint of sweetness comes in

T - Berry-like freshness and acidity; light vinegary flavors; sour and tart; funky, but really nice dark fruitiness about it as well.

M - Medium to light; a little syrupy; very fizzy carbonation

D - Very drinkable as the complexity drew me in and the tart, but very well-balanced flavors, kept the drinking easy

Overall, probably one of the best brews that I've tried to-date, and certainly the best I've had in the style.

4.62/5  rDev +4.8%

2007 vintage.

A: Reddish pink color with a sparkling pink head that settles quickly.

S: A great smell, clean and well defined. Great aromas of tart raspberries and cherries. The fruitiness is very pleasant, acidic, genuine and pulpy. Some gentle funky notes. Grass, earth and yeast - the usual lambic suspects are present but subdued due to the fresh fruitiness.

T: The taste follows suit with a beautiful fruit character of semi-sweet and tart raspberries and cherries. Pleasant acidic character all the way. The fruits are just unbelievably well defined and rich. Notes of grass, dusty cellar, earth and just a hint of funky wet hay. Fruit pits, some barrel notes. The finish is very dry and rather sparkling with a nice sourness and lingering fruit aromas. A very gentle, well balanced and pleasant taste.

M: Medium body, gentle yet active carbonation.

D: This is a fantastic beer. Great, razor sharp fruit profile and clean flavors. Good balance between the fruits and the rustic lambic flavors. Refreshing and easy to drink.

4.79/5  rDev +8.6%

A huge thanks to JAXSON for hooking this up in a trade.

This beer was poured from a 750mL into a tulip to commemorate the 23rd year of this guy's existence, happy birthday to me!

Pours an unusually thick, hazy strawberry red. This beer looks as though an artificial color agent was added, though I know this not to be the case. I can't get over how intense and vibrant the color of this beer is. No head from pour.

The smell of this beer is remarkable. It's killin' me softly with it's incredible aromas. Tart raspberry and cherry match perfectly with the a very acetic characteristic. Vinegar and tart lemons flourish, and there are some really sweet berry scents. This beer smells like a bowl of freshly picked fruit with a touch of vanilla sprinkled over. I wish I could bottle this scent and open smell every time I get pissed off, because this smell is proof that God does exist and that He loves me.

Everything noticed in the scent is present in the smell, and it all mixes together so well. The taste and mouthfeel is both drying and sweet, I know it doesn't make sense but sometimes the best things in life don't make sense. Again, very acetic and tart.

The carbonation is spot on for this beer, and is very well done. As for drinkability, I could drink this anytime anywhere. Unfortunately the hefty price tag prevents this...

4.89/5  rDev +10.9%

Pours maroon with light red traces when held to light. The head is light pink and fizzy, with good retention.

The aroma is fruit forward. It's of ripe raspberries with oak and tannins. The aroma is sweet, with traces of sugar and a low level of mustiness and tartness

The flavor has more tartness than the nose suggested and it's nicely balanced by the fruit sweetness. Though this beer has some time on it, the raspberries are still very apparent and they impart wonderful flavors. Oak is apparent, as well as tannins,a low level of acidity, and a touch of vinegar. The finish is dry and has a nice medium level of tartness and some sugar. The raspberry flavor is pervasive and top notch.

The carbonation is medium-high and lively, which really compliments the fruit. The mouthfeel is dry. Overall, this is the best raspberry lambic I've had to date. It's actually the best rapberry lambic, sour, or wild ale I've ever had. The price is high but it's well worth it.

Reviewed on: 07-07-2009 15:53:23

4.87/5  rDev +10.4%

Thanks Hophead84!

Pours a muted pinkish red. Cloudy and hazy. Small, champagne-esque head, though not quite as robust.

Aroma hits you from several feet way. A bit of musty funk, but mostly raspberries. Ah yes, much, much raspberries. Maybe a hint of vinegar in the nose.

Flavor adds a strong, oak-y/wood-sy backing to unripe, tart, bracingly raw raspberries (even after all these years). A bit of a vinous, vinegar flavor to it. Spectacular with bursting berries, just delicious. Well carbonated, which really enhances a beer this strongly flavored.

Perhaps my favorite of this brewery's offerings.

4.21/5  rDev -4.5%

Big thanks to jac5084 for bringing this out at his birthday tasting last night. Poured into my Lost Abbey tulip glass...

A: Pours a glowing, completely hazy red with a very small head. The look reminded me somewhat of tomato juice that has been carbonated. The color was a lighter red with small bubbles trying to form a head atop the beer.

S: The smell is unbelievable. Tons of robust, fresh raspberries blended with a nice cherry and lemony tartness. Slightly acidic smelling with a hint of vinegar. I could keep my nose in this all day.

T: A very good representation of the style. Not as robust and/or flavorful as the smell led me to believe, but this is great nonetheless. Mouth puckering raspberry goodness to start, followed by some lemon rinds, dry oak, and slight vinegar.

Overall, I am glad I got to try this gem. It was very good, but we all thought it was lacking something. I would love to get another and lay it down in the cellar.

4.47/5  rDev +1.4%

Consumed last weekend at The Trappist for a paltry $46, reviewed from memory, woo. Hazy pinkish-purple color, pours with almost no head, though there's plenty of carbonation for the style. The aroma is largely macerated raspberries, backed by a mild funk and an odd note of tomato juice. The raspberry aroma on this beer is phenomenal, I couldn't keep my nose out of the glass. The taste is similarly exceptional - raspberries are dominant, faintly sweet up front, sour in the finish. Sourness is moderate, while harsh acetic acids are minimal. Light in body, puckering and dry. Amazing stuff.

3.96/5  rDev -10.2%

Reviewed on 6/11/08. Bottle from Spuyten Duyvil. I was super excited to get to try this beer! Pours a dark red/pink with a beautiful light pink head. Aroma of oak, raspberry, and tartness. Flavor of sweet raspberries, tartness, sugar. Initially this was very sweet but got more sour as I drank it. Quite delicious but it doesn't beat Schaerbeekse for me.
8/5/8/4/16 (4.1/5)

4.3/5  rDev -2.5%

Pours candy pink, with pinkish-white cloudy big head. Smells funky, alcohol though low, penetrates the nose. Great mouthfeel,the sourness is there but well delivered without being over the toip (moderated by oak) raspberries lambic bullseyes the style. Satisfying aftertaste. Oh so drinkable.

4.42/5  rDev +0.2%

750ml bottle shared courtesy of egajdzis. Bottle labeled BB 14/02/2007. Poured a medium reddish color with an averaged sized pinkish head.

Aromas of funkiness, leather, raspberries, cherries, berries, and woody.

Tastes of cherries, raspberries, woody, and vanilla.

Nice tart finish.

Notes from and tasted on 10/11/2007.

4.82/5  rDev +9.3%

Bottle purchased in the Netherlands. Beer poured a clear, deep red color with a slight pink head into my Cantillon glass. The head receeded quickly. The aroma was strong upon popping the cork, vibrant framboise, a bit funky and tart as well. The raspberry taste was lovely and fresh tasting. What you would expect for a true version of the style. Some oaky notes as well. Overall a well rounded and damn fine beer that I wish I had more often but it is to be savored.

4.72/5  rDev +7%

Sparkling pinkish-red appearance, slightly hazed. Not much head. Aroma is tangy with citrus and berry fruit. Intensely funky with an earthy richness. Supremely inviting.

Excellent sour funk in the flavor. It is so pungent I am getting a sulfur/lit match character. I didn't know this was a raspberry beer as I noticed cherry more than anything, although it was mild and separated itself from the other flavors. The mouthfeel is excellent; light, spritzy, crisp and refreshing.

I really loved the funky fruit character of this lambic. It blew away my expectations...

3.7/5  rDev -16.1%

Bottle shared by the legendary miketd. Thanks man!!
Pours a dense cranberry color with a very light thin head. Smell is funky, tart, cherries, and oak. Flavor is lightly funky, tart cherries and vinegar with a medium body. I got more cherry than raspberry from it. Pretty good and nicely sour.

4.2/5  rDev -4.8%

"The Funk Runs Deep" was the quote put forth to describe this beer.

Nicely tart, but the action really came through on the funky character of this beer. Really nice. Great composition of fruit lustrous aromas and Thanks to DA for dropping some cash and bringing it to share. Defiantly worth sharing at a tasting.

4.8/5  rDev +8.8%

Pours a clouded pink with a pinkish head. Nose is funky. Barnyard-esqe. Flavor has a biting raspberry to it, but still it's smooth. This just typifies what a fruit lambic is. Feel is spot on. Overall this is precisely what I would expect it to be. Amazing stuff and masterfully crafted. I'm not really sure where there could be improvement. Perhaps a bit more framboise complexity? Regardless. Who cares. It's beautiful. Worth the high price.

3.8/5  rDev -13.8%

Deep magenta color. Rich fruit flavor, it's nice to taste an authentic raspberry fruit flavor. I havent felt like I've had a good raspberry lambic in awhile, even with rose and oud beersel framboise. I don't love this beer, but it's a nice lambic style.

4.21/5  rDev -4.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

Appearance: Pours a hazy, reddish-pink body with a scant, white head.

Smell: Tart, sour aroma layered with a wonderful raspberry and cherry fruitiness along with notes of a dank, dark cellar inhabited by a leather-clad Mold Monster.

Taste: Fruity from the get-go with flavors of raspberries, sour cherries, and maybe even a few chunks of seedless watermelon all centered around a lactic sourness. A drop of vanilla, a touch of wood. There's never much in the way of sweetness, but you do get a good, hearty dose of barnyard funk. Finishes dry and sour with a lingering fruitiness. Mercifully, it's never overly tart or sour.

Mouthfeel: Medium-bodied. Mild carbonation.

Drinkability: Fairly mellow and easy-going for a lambic. Very nice.

4.16/5  rDev -5.7%

July 2007 Bottle Date; Sampled March 2010
Served lightly chilled at 60*F+
A careful pour into my 25cl tulip glass produces a two-finger thick, faintly pink tinged, off-white colored head. The beer is a deep red hue that shows a stunningly, brilliantly clear, bright red color that has touches of gold to it when held up to the light. The aroma smells of raspberry pits as I pour it and a deeper inspecting yields sweet raspberry flesh followed by medicinal phenolics, a touch of plastic notes and just a big Brettanomyces presence. The finish is quite phenolic all in all, but serves as a balancing note to the up front expressive fruit and light lactic tartness.

Quite dry tasting, which is quite different than young bottles, with a solid lactic tartness, a woody raspberry pit note, sour raspberry flesh and a medicinal / phenolic finish that doesn't come on quite as strong as it did in the nose. The body is quite creamy; perhaps even a touch slick, with a fullness that plays quite well with the other senses. This still has quite a chewy raspberry flavor to it, but now that it has dried out it is much more woody, more tannic seeming and has that green, almost vegetal quality that all dry, heavily fruited raspberry beers always get. I should mention that there is still some sweetness to this beer, it is well on its way towards drying out, but this will dry out even further over the coming years.

I will say that this still has quite a few years of life yet. It will also likely get better than it currently is; it should dry out a bit more, with much of the phenolics being changed and softened with time and perhaps other funky notes coming to the fore. This is still quite good, but I think I liked this better when it was fresh. There isn't enough developed funk and complexity in this right now to offset the loss of the fresh raspberry component that this had when young; I still have high hopes for this improving quite a bit over the next couple years though. So, in the end this is a bit simplistic to be a world class Lambic (at least this particular snapshot), though visually and texturally this is currently just about perfect.

Previous Review:
February 2007 Bottle Date, Sampled January 2008

Edited for length.

Not as intensely fruity as I was perhaps expecting, and it is on the soft side for a traditional Lambic (even for a 3 Fonteinen one). A bit harder, with a more pronounced fruit character would make this just about perfect. It seems to be missing that jam-like (sans sweetness of course) fruit intensity that I was expecting, though I like that this is quite dry and quaffable. Still this is a very good beer, though I have a feeling this won't age nearly as well as the Framboos has / did.

4.42/5  rDev +0.2%

Much thanks to egajdzis for sharing the fairly new beauty...
BB 14/02/2007.

Appears a murky red with a pinkish, white head that slowly fades out. Scattered streaks of lacing are left around the glass.
Smell is of raspberries, tart gooseberries, farmland, dusty barnyard, and light vanilla.
Taste is of the mentioned aromas with funky plastic, rubber, grape leaves, bugs(bacteria fermentation), raspberries, and apples.
Mouthfeel is medium bodied, sour, with phenols of funky plastic, and exotic plants.

4.52/5  rDev +2.5%

Thanks to Eric for sharing this rare treat at Phatz' sour beer tasting • February 2007 Bottling

Appearance: This beer poured a hazy, ruby red and brown color with a rapid white head. Small traces of lace remain.

Smell: Distinct aromas of barnyard and souring raspberries. Lambic funkiness is also pronounced and very complex.

Taste: Acidity and sourness permeate the mouth with raspberries. The feel is super dry and champagne-like. I would liken this beer to a kir royal, with a lot more complexity.

Mouthfeel: I love the dryness of this lambic. It is all things sour, funky, sugary and puckering. The initial fizziness and lingering carbonation are pleasant and give the beer a nice liveliness.

Drinkability: The sourness is pretty intense, but I could get through a bottle by myself to savor the beer. Worth seeking out, but it isn't available in the states yet.

Drie Fonteinen Hommage from Brouwerij Drie Fonteinen