Drie Fonteinen Oude Geuze - Brouwerij Drie Fonteinen

Drie Fonteinen Oude GeuzeDrie Fonteinen Oude Geuze

Brouwerij Drie Fonteinen visit their website

Gueuze |  6.00% ABV

This listing is for all vintages of the Oude Geuze, but not for bottles specifically labelled "Oude Geuze Vintage".

(Beer added by: rastaman on 09-27-2002)
1.23/5  rDev -71.9%

Produced 8/12/2004, quite old.
Snifter 500cc, temp 10 C° , served with cheese "Fourme d'Ambert" (similar to Gorgonzola but less creamy).

60% barley malt 40% wheat, mélange of lambics from 1,2,3 years.

Nice creamy foam with tiny bubbles and retention.
The colour can be described as green-tea hue.Cloudy.

About smell :acetic acid amongst all, also smell of tart apple,better,tart cider,cheese.Cellar.

Taste confirms the smell impression.I can add I would have liked more body.And the taste lasts too less.
No trace of hop.
Stinging effect of acetic acid on your tongue.

Better way to describe my sensation : stinging water with acetic acid smell.

Paid 6,4 € x 37,4cc , too much I'm afraid for the curiosity.

MilanoItaly, Jan 08, 2009
1.25/5  rDev -71.5%

Ryanwi11iam, Monday at 11:10 PM
1.25/5  rDev -71.5%

His_Royal_Hoppiness, Nov 07, 2012
1.45/5  rDev -66.9%

The flavors of this beer have blinded me. Looks are not important at this point. After a bit of vinegar smell, I should have been ready, but I wasn't. taste is sour vinegar. Not much else. Just pure sour. Mouthfeel is thin, drinkability is poor. I finished the bottle, but man was it rough. My stomach felt extremely warm once I finished. Not my idea of a good time.

aaronh, Jan 04, 2008
1.5/5  rDev -65.8%

Lochnessmonster, Feb 13, 2014
1.88/5  rDev -57.1%

The aroma is sour with tart fruit, lactic bacteria, yeast, urine, wood, and sugar. The appearance is cloudy and copper with a small head. The flavor is tangy is like the aroma. The palate is average. Overall not something I want again despite being complex and highly ranked here.

nick76, Nov 09, 2008
2.25/5  rDev -48.6%

Averwo, Jul 17, 2014
2.28/5  rDev -47.9%

I had the opportunity to try this beer at a beer tasting at my uncle Peters place. This was a bottle my nephew Michael brought with him. Thanks Michael for sharing.

A - A pale yellow beer with some carbonation. On top floats a white foam ring.

S - A fresh smelling sour, if that is possible.

T - A strong lemon sour and something else that is throwing this beer really of balance I guess that will be the sour :)

M - Medium to high carbonation and a real sour aftertaste.

O - For a sour it ain't so bad, it is just not my style. Maybe I will be a believer after tasting enough of these.

Mar02x, Jan 07, 2012
2.38/5  rDev -45.7%

New review:
Bottled 03NOV11:
Pours turbid golden with loose, soda like finger of white foam. Funky monkey here – soil, manure, lemon, baking soda, a hint of cucumber. Flavor is initially like soda water, then lemons come thru with a good amount of tartness, but softened and accented with a buttery tone. Thin body, dreadfully thin and empty with tight fleeting carb and a wet finish. This beer is not as disappointing as last time I had it, but nonetheless, I don’t care for it one bit. 3.5/3/2/2/2.5

Original review from 04/2011
Bottled 03/2010
A: Golden, hazy beer (haze likely related to person pouring). Minimal head formation. Thin, broken sheet of some white foam. No lacing.
S: Horse manure. Very, very farmy. Reminds me of a hot day outside a relatively clean dairy farm. I love gueuze, and I'm struggling to enjoy the smells of this one.
T: Sour, classic gueuze tartness. Unfortunately, still very super farmy, earthy, and fungal.
M: Medium body with light to spritely carbonation.
O: Very disappointed with this beer. Too bad. I will stick with Cantillon, Lindeman's for my go-to gueuzes. 3/2/2/3.5/2 - 2.2

harrymel, Sep 14, 2012
2.38/5  rDev -45.7%

Bottle courtesy of geuzelover.
Pours golden with no head. Smell is musty, funky, and fairly standard, I thought. Generally unappealing to me. Taste is tart but less so than the Cantillon Classic Geuze. Somewhat musty, dirty, but with a sharp oaky sourness.

JDV, Apr 06, 2008
2.5/5  rDev -42.9%

Zbeetleman, Jul 06, 2013
2.58/5  rDev -41.1%

Reviewed 3/26/2007 (Bottle @ 't Brugs Beertje, bottled 11/30/2005):

Pours a fizzy clear brownish color, good head, white, foamy, good lacing. Dark fruity bitter smell. Maybe a moldy cheese aroma? Sharp taste, same cheesy taste. A sour soda taste. Effervescent. Not for the weak. A sour rotten taste. As it warms, and as the alcohol kicks in, it's more palatable.

jujubeast6000, Jul 27, 2008
2.94/5  rDev -32.9%

Poured into a Saint Somewhere wine-style glass. Label says Bottling Date Nov 18. 2010. Label also says, "Good for at least ten years after bottling date."

A- Pours a slightly hazy gold color with a two finger sparkly white head that quickly fizzles away to a thick ring around the edge of the glass and a large tuft of surface foam. Thick, semi-resilient ring of lacing.

S- Phew! Vinegar doesn't even come close to describing the incredibly pungent, wild aroma that bursts from the glass. Rubbery, chemically astringent. It's like when something smells bad but it's so unique and intense that you keep smelling it and going "Oh! God!" Small amount of fruitiness is derived when taking a long whiff.

T- Now I see why the bottle is so small. I can't imagine anyone drinking more than 375 mL of this at a time. For the taste, "sour" isn't an adjective that truly describes what's going on. The highly acidic and, once again, rubbery flavors are almost too much to handle. After a few sips, the palate becomes slightly acclimated but the ascerbic nature of the drink still sends my taste buds into overload.

M- Extremely tart. Makes my tongue pucker and wither with each sip, then immediately re-salivate with the lingering sourness still present. Medium-high carbonation and a very dry feel.

O- My girlfriend described this as a "chemically soaked warhead" and I'm inclined to agree. I've had many sours before that I enjoy such as Rodenbach, Duchesse, Monk's Cafe Flemish and St. Louis Fond Tradition but this is way too much. And I thought Jolly Pumpkin's beers were insane... I understand that these beers are supposed to taste like this but the reason I give it such a low score is because of the ridiculous price tag of $13.99 for a 12.7 oz bottle which I understand to be not uncommon.

Immortale25, Nov 27, 2012

kbrown, Dec 15, 2013

SlowWideTurns, Aug 20, 2012

jplopez21, Feb 18, 2013
3.23/5  rDev -26.3%

I have never, ever, heard a cork pop as loud as this one did. It actually hurt my ears. Opaque burnt orange body with a striking white head.

So much dirty funk on the nose that it's hard to concentrate on anything else. Overripe and astringent lemon. I'd normally say musty basement, but here it's more like a dungeon. There is something evil here. In a nice way.

The intensity of flavor matches or exceeds Cantillon, though I still prefer the latter, because I very much prefer sour to funk.

Horse blanket and acetic acid are massive here. Very yeasty, with lemon and pineapple floating around. The astringency seems to completely cover and linger on the roof of my mouth... it's not so bad, but the problem is I can imagine it being better integrated. There is a very sharp, and more importantly, pure, vinegar note on the finish that dominates the experience.

The texture of this beer feels nice, but something about it makes it difficult to swallow.

There is too little going on here besides the powerful vinegar taste to really be impressive. There are plenty of Flemish red ales that have an even bigger vinegar burn, but they are balanced by other flavors or sugar. This lambic is naked. What is impressive is that it does manage to be drinkable and interesting.

7ways, May 20, 2011

Marius, Jul 11, 2014
3.25/5  rDev -25.8%

served in a chalice, poured from a bottle. reads: nov. 30, 2005, good for at least ten years from bottling date.

Appearance: poured well, with no head to speak of, just some large bubbles that didn't stick around too long. Color of apple cider. I must say at this point, I'm a little dissapointed, as reviews I've read mention a 1 to 2 finger white head. No head for me, story of my life.

Smell: a sour funkiness that I have come to associate with duchesse de bourgogne. A slight malty sweetness as well. I have a feeling this is going to be good.

Taste: Definately sour. A funky mustiness? A musty funkiness? Either way, tart, and pretty refreshing after the initial shock to my uninitiated taste buds. Almost winelike, or vinous, if you will. There is almost a hint of a apple cider quality as well. A long, dry, tart finish leaves me wanting that next drink, but I must wait a little longer between, to see how it warms up to me. Picking up some floral flavors as it warms up. I have to say at this point, that the taste doesn't really live up to the aroma. It's good, but the smell made me think it would be great.

Mouthfeel: As this is my first foray into this style, I've nothing to compare it to (stylewise), nevertheless, the lack of carbonation makes it seem very, drinkable. Although a bit more may have heightened the taste experience. Almost soft in a way that again reminds me of wine.

drinkability: again, as my first in this style, this is tough. I don't see myself drinking this again in the near future. It isn't that it's bad, only foreign to me in so many ways. I will probably seek out others in the same style, revisiting this one once I have a better handle on the style.

dancinwillie, Jun 08, 2008