1. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Drie Fonteinen Oude Geuze - Brouwerij Drie Fonteinen

Drie Fonteinen Oude GeuzeDrie Fonteinen Oude Geuze

Brouwerij Drie Fonteinen visit their website

Gueuze |  6.00% ABV

This listing is for all vintages of the Oude Geuze, but not for bottles specifically labelled "Oude Geuze Vintage".

(Beer added by: rastaman on 09-27-2002)
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Reviewers
Ratings: 1,669 | Reviews: 657 | Show All Ratings:
MilanoItaly

Italy

1.23/5  rDev -71.9%

Produced 8/12/2004, quite old.
Snifter 500cc, temp 10 C° , served with cheese "Fourme d'Ambert" (similar to Gorgonzola but less creamy).

60% barley malt 40% wheat, mélange of lambics from 1,2,3 years.

Nice creamy foam with tiny bubbles and retention.
The colour can be described as green-tea hue.Cloudy.

About smell :acetic acid amongst all, also smell of tart apple,better,tart cider,cheese.Cellar.

Taste confirms the smell impression.I can add I would have liked more body.And the taste lasts too less.
No trace of hop.
Stinging effect of acetic acid on your tongue.

Better way to describe my sensation : stinging water with acetic acid smell.

Paid 6,4 € x 37,4cc , too much I'm afraid for the curiosity.

01-08-2009 21:59:10 | More by MilanoItaly
aaronh

1.45/5  rDev -66.9%

The flavors of this beer have blinded me. Looks are not important at this point. After a bit of vinegar smell, I should have been ready, but I wasn't. taste is sour vinegar. Not much else. Just pure sour. Mouthfeel is thin, drinkability is poor. I finished the bottle, but man was it rough. My stomach felt extremely warm once I finished. Not my idea of a good time.

01-04-2008 01:34:53 | More by aaronh
nick76

1.88/5  rDev -57.1%

The aroma is sour with tart fruit, lactic bacteria, yeast, urine, wood, and sugar. The appearance is cloudy and copper with a small head. The flavor is tangy is like the aroma. The palate is average. Overall not something I want again despite being complex and highly ranked here.

11-09-2008 06:20:21 | More by nick76
Mar02x

Netherlands

2.28/5  rDev -47.9%

I had the opportunity to try this beer at a beer tasting at my uncle Peters place. This was a bottle my nephew Michael brought with him. Thanks Michael for sharing.

A - A pale yellow beer with some carbonation. On top floats a white foam ring.

S - A fresh smelling sour, if that is possible.

T - A strong lemon sour and something else that is throwing this beer really of balance I guess that will be the sour :)

M - Medium to high carbonation and a real sour aftertaste.

O - For a sour it ain't so bad, it is just not my style. Maybe I will be a believer after tasting enough of these.

01-07-2012 11:39:15 | More by Mar02x
JDV

2.38/5  rDev -45.7%

Bottle courtesy of geuzelover.
Pours golden with no head. Smell is musty, funky, and fairly standard, I thought. Generally unappealing to me. Taste is tart but less so than the Cantillon Classic Geuze. Somewhat musty, dirty, but with a sharp oaky sourness.

04-06-2008 00:40:40 | More by JDV
harrymel

Washington

2.38/5  rDev -45.7%

New review:
Bottled 03NOV11:
Pours turbid golden with loose, soda like finger of white foam. Funky monkey here – soil, manure, lemon, baking soda, a hint of cucumber. Flavor is initially like soda water, then lemons come thru with a good amount of tartness, but softened and accented with a buttery tone. Thin body, dreadfully thin and empty with tight fleeting carb and a wet finish. This beer is not as disappointing as last time I had it, but nonetheless, I don’t care for it one bit. 3.5/3/2/2/2.5

Original review from 04/2011
Bottled 03/2010
A: Golden, hazy beer (haze likely related to person pouring). Minimal head formation. Thin, broken sheet of some white foam. No lacing.
S: Horse manure. Very, very farmy. Reminds me of a hot day outside a relatively clean dairy farm. I love gueuze, and I'm struggling to enjoy the smells of this one.
T: Sour, classic gueuze tartness. Unfortunately, still very super farmy, earthy, and fungal.
M: Medium body with light to spritely carbonation.
O: Very disappointed with this beer. Too bad. I will stick with Cantillon, Lindeman's for my go-to gueuzes. 3/2/2/3.5/2 - 2.2

09-14-2012 06:49:55 | More by harrymel
jujubeast6000

2.58/5  rDev -41.1%

Reviewed 3/26/2007 (Bottle @ 't Brugs Beertje, bottled 11/30/2005):

Pours a fizzy clear brownish color, good head, white, foamy, good lacing. Dark fruity bitter smell. Maybe a moldy cheese aroma? Sharp taste, same cheesy taste. A sour soda taste. Effervescent. Not for the weak. A sour rotten taste. As it warms, and as the alcohol kicks in, it's more palatable.

07-27-2008 17:05:09 | More by jujubeast6000
Immortale25

2.94/5  rDev -32.9%

Poured into a Saint Somewhere wine-style glass. Label says Bottling Date Nov 18. 2010. Label also says, "Good for at least ten years after bottling date."

A- Pours a slightly hazy gold color with a two finger sparkly white head that quickly fizzles away to a thick ring around the edge of the glass and a large tuft of surface foam. Thick, semi-resilient ring of lacing.

S- Phew! Vinegar doesn't even come close to describing the incredibly pungent, wild aroma that bursts from the glass. Rubbery, chemically astringent. It's like when something smells bad but it's so unique and intense that you keep smelling it and going "Oh! God!" Small amount of fruitiness is derived when taking a long whiff.

T- Now I see why the bottle is so small. I can't imagine anyone drinking more than 375 mL of this at a time. For the taste, "sour" isn't an adjective that truly describes what's going on. The highly acidic and, once again, rubbery flavors are almost too much to handle. After a few sips, the palate becomes slightly acclimated but the ascerbic nature of the drink still sends my taste buds into overload.

M- Extremely tart. Makes my tongue pucker and wither with each sip, then immediately re-salivate with the lingering sourness still present. Medium-high carbonation and a very dry feel.

O- My girlfriend described this as a "chemically soaked warhead" and I'm inclined to agree. I've had many sours before that I enjoy such as Rodenbach, Duchesse, Monk's Cafe Flemish and St. Louis Fond Tradition but this is way too much. And I thought Jolly Pumpkin's beers were insane... I understand that these beers are supposed to taste like this but the reason I give it such a low score is because of the ridiculous price tag of $13.99 for a 12.7 oz bottle which I understand to be not uncommon.

11-27-2012 01:56:27 | More by Immortale25
7ways

Georgia

3.23/5  rDev -26.3%

I have never, ever, heard a cork pop as loud as this one did. It actually hurt my ears. Opaque burnt orange body with a striking white head.

So much dirty funk on the nose that it's hard to concentrate on anything else. Overripe and astringent lemon. I'd normally say musty basement, but here it's more like a dungeon. There is something evil here. In a nice way.

The intensity of flavor matches or exceeds Cantillon, though I still prefer the latter, because I very much prefer sour to funk.

Horse blanket and acetic acid are massive here. Very yeasty, with lemon and pineapple floating around. The astringency seems to completely cover and linger on the roof of my mouth... it's not so bad, but the problem is I can imagine it being better integrated. There is a very sharp, and more importantly, pure, vinegar note on the finish that dominates the experience.

The texture of this beer feels nice, but something about it makes it difficult to swallow.

There is too little going on here besides the powerful vinegar taste to really be impressive. There are plenty of Flemish red ales that have an even bigger vinegar burn, but they are balanced by other flavors or sugar. This lambic is naked. What is impressive is that it does manage to be drinkable and interesting.

05-20-2011 03:47:14 | More by 7ways
dancinwillie

Wisconsin

3.25/5  rDev -25.8%

served in a chalice, poured from a bottle. reads: nov. 30, 2005, good for at least ten years from bottling date.

Appearance: poured well, with no head to speak of, just some large bubbles that didn't stick around too long. Color of apple cider. I must say at this point, I'm a little dissapointed, as reviews I've read mention a 1 to 2 finger white head. No head for me, story of my life.

Smell: a sour funkiness that I have come to associate with duchesse de bourgogne. A slight malty sweetness as well. I have a feeling this is going to be good.

Taste: Definately sour. A funky mustiness? A musty funkiness? Either way, tart, and pretty refreshing after the initial shock to my uninitiated taste buds. Almost winelike, or vinous, if you will. There is almost a hint of a apple cider quality as well. A long, dry, tart finish leaves me wanting that next drink, but I must wait a little longer between, to see how it warms up to me. Picking up some floral flavors as it warms up. I have to say at this point, that the taste doesn't really live up to the aroma. It's good, but the smell made me think it would be great.

Mouthfeel: As this is my first foray into this style, I've nothing to compare it to (stylewise), nevertheless, the lack of carbonation makes it seem very, drinkable. Although a bit more may have heightened the taste experience. Almost soft in a way that again reminds me of wine.

drinkability: again, as my first in this style, this is tough. I don't see myself drinking this again in the near future. It isn't that it's bad, only foreign to me in so many ways. I will probably seek out others in the same style, revisiting this one once I have a better handle on the style.

06-08-2008 03:45:08 | More by dancinwillie
RenoZymurgist

Nevada

3.35/5  rDev -23.5%

The cork came out of the bottle without any pressure. It poured a clear orange color with no head at all. The aroma is dry and sour with hints of sour apples and some barnyard character. The flavor isn't overly sour it is flat though and it makes it very boring to drink. Thin mouthfeel, I would like to try an older version.

12-31-2007 18:24:08 | More by RenoZymurgist
ibbjamin

3.35/5  rDev -23.5%

Paid $21.99 for a 750ml bottle from Healthy Spirits in San Francisco, CA. Bottling date of 02 February 2007, so this one has aged for about an additional two and half years once it hit the bottle. I pour into a snifter to review.

Very cloudy golden orange in color. Small, fizzy white head that dissipates quickly leaving almost no lace. Seems to be quite carbonated.

Has a bit of a funk aroma from the wild yeast and has taken on some of the oak character from the barrel it was aged in. Vinous qualities as well with hints of white grape and lemon citrus.

Taste is similar to the nose with the tartness of wild yeast / funk being pushed even more to the forefront.

Mouth is dry with a quick finish. Mildly astringent, somewhat similar to some red wines I've tasted. Not as carbonated as I originally suspected. Light to medium bodied.

A complex gueze that was a nice treat. Not sure I'd get this again as it was a bit pricey but would recommend this to anyone that enjoys beers made with wild yeast or even those interested in barrel aged beers wanting to try something new.

08-16-2009 03:43:37 | More by ibbjamin
lordofstarside

Nevada

3.38/5  rDev -22.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.25

12.7oz to a snifter, bottled 12/5/12

Pours a very cloudy pale amber gold with two fingers of foam. Heavy carbonation stemming from the center and sides, very strong retention and lacing. Kinda of hard to drink because the foam won't die down. Edit- it looks really good now that it finally has

Smells of tart cherries, oak, vinegar, sour apple, white wine, leather, strong Belgian funk and just a little bit of alcohol

Taste is initial upfront tart cherry, followed bland sour baking apple. Oak and wine notes are present on the after taste. The start and finish are good, but that middle part breaks it for me, almost like tasting the inside of a pill

Feel is medium sour with high bitterness. Sort of fizzy

Overall either this bottle is bad or these things taste like shit fresh. I'll try and get another to lie down for a few years to find out, but this experience wasn't worth anything near the $13 I paid for it

01-05-2014 10:26:46 | More by lordofstarside
ccrida

Oregon

3.4/5  rDev -22.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3

Appearance is dull gold with a small white collar that leaves almost no lace. Bottle date 11/18/2010.

Smell is sweet, funky, phenolic.

Taste is pretty funky, there's some iron notes as well as iced tea like sweetness. A little fruity. This tea notes remind me of an ale that was heavy on the crystal malt, which I know was not in the mash bill here, but nevertheless is an unloved attribute.

Mouthfeel is slick, medium light bodied, lacking the spritz I look for in gueuze, more lambic like.

Drinkability is pretty good, the sweetness makes it more approachable than others, but I prefer much more pucker. I gotta say, regardless of how heralded a blender they are, it's not the most impressive geuze.

07-20-2012 04:46:17 | More by ccrida
kojevergas

3.45/5  rDev -21.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.5

Bottle poured into a Geuze boon glass in Ghent, Belgium during my visit there. Reviewed from notes. 6% confirmed.

A: Three finger head of good thickness and slight cream. Clear hazy gold colour. Appealing.

Sm: Souring hops and bacteria. A moderate strength scent. My body tells me maybe this should be avoided.

T: ...But me mind tells me to drink! Sour body, aiding the hops. Very well balanced. Full barley lends it body. Complex and unique with its soured esters and dying bacterial notes. The depth of the sourness is hard to describe, but delightful. Some floral hops occupy the background. For the style, its a par build.

Mf: Smooth and wet for the style, though complementary of the flavours in the body.

Dr: It's difficult to down - especially if you're not accustomed to the style - but just one might be a welcome introduction for newcomers, as it's a bit less sour than others I've had. Fairly priced, at least in Belgium, all things considered. Very drinkable for the style once you acclimate. The fairly high ABV is well hidden. High quality.

My review of this one was rushed; I'll need to re-review at some point.

B-

06-01-2011 22:00:03 | More by kojevergas
BlackHaddock

United Kingdom (England)

3.48/5  rDev -20.5%
look: 3 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Green 37.5cl bottle: best before 9th Dec 2019. Poured carefully into two old 'Home Ales' half-pint countryman tankards on 3rd Nov 2012.

Almost clear old gold to new golden in colour, no real head to talk about.

The smell and taste reminded me of good quality scrumpy, cooking apples, baking powder and Bicarbonate of Soda: very acidic. I actually thought this was OK and drinkable compared to others in this style.

Try as I might, this style of brewing/bottling and blending still leaves me unimpressed somewhat. I want to embrace the idea of Lambic beers and Geuze but struggle to feel the wonderous excitment other 'beer geeks' get from having beers from this stable or other Lambic breweries.

11-05-2012 10:54:23 | More by BlackHaddock
wagenvolks

3.5/5  rDev -20.1%

750 ml foiled, corked, & caged; bottled on 02/Feb./07 and shared with trep and friends during a Thanksgiving holiday beer tasting.

Pours a brassy, golden body with a beautiful, bone-white head that leaves behind some nice smatterings of lacing. Exceptional carbonation level on this Gueuze, wafting aromatic notes of chardonney grapes, tart wild yeast, and a bit of oak.

I've come to the sad realization that I'm just not a fan of sour beers. I really want to like them, but I found this beer to be too sour/dry/tart/vinegary. White grape rinds and acetic acid lended the flavor a good deal of pungency, and the light body was exceedingly dry, well-carbonated, crisp, and mouth-puckeringly tart. The 4 oz. I had of this shared bottle were almost more than I could handle. Although sour beers aren't for me, I did enjoy Cantillon's Lou Pepe significantly more than this Gueuze.

11-28-2008 03:17:02 | More by wagenvolks
Gobzilla

350ml bottle caged and corked

A: looked like a typical yellowish gueuze with almost no head and very little lacing.

S: lemons, funk, and vinegar aromas dominate the nose on this beer with a slight oaky note.

T: could defenitely taste some lemon flavor with a little oaknees to it and it wasn't as sour as I was anticipating.

M: the beer was meduim bodied with a decent amount of bubbly carbonation.

D: Love gueuzes but again wasn't as good I thought it would be. Decent gueuze though.

04-29-2010 19:51:57 | More by Gobzilla
CrazyDavros

Australia

3.53/5  rDev -19.4%

Pours amber with a quickly fading head.
Big funky aroma, some old cheese, lots of goat, along with some elderflower and lime.
More elderflower as a flavour, also some light sweet malt, lemon and a fair whack of acidity. Finishes a bit astringent, with a bitterness reminiscent of lemon pith.
Carbonation seems a bit high.

03-22-2013 04:59:10 | More by CrazyDavros
themind

3.53/5  rDev -19.4%
look: 4.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 3.25

This beer style is not really my cup of tea. The beer pours a great generous head. The smell is like sour fruit. The taste is a fruit sour beer concoction that is not what I really like. The mouthfeel was awesome with this beer but the sourness kinda ruins it for me. Sorry, I am sure sour beer guys love this stuff....and they can have it. Now throw me a Pliny.

Bottom Line: Pucker up! this one is sour.

08-31-2013 03:09:06 | More by themind
BeerBelcher

3.58/5  rDev -18.3%

This beer was a pretty good gueuze, although I found it very acetic, and although the sourness was nice I would've enjoyed a bit more sourness and champagne character. Nonetheless, still pretty good. Thanks to SurlySober for sharing this bottle with me.

Appearance was an attractive hazy straw color with two fingers of fluffy white head. Aroma was a mix of light champagne character, acetic vinegar-ness, and a bit of fresh-cut apple fruitiness. This beer also seemed a bit light-struck. Flavor was rather sour, but didn't totally make me pucker. There was also some light apple and champagne notes. Mouthfeel was fairly light and bubble-y and appropriate. I did enjoy this beer and would recommend it.

12-12-2007 14:51:01 | More by BeerBelcher
beerthulhu

3.63/5  rDev -17.1%

A blend of 1,2,and 3 old lambic. Bottled 28 February 2004, Sampled 8 July 2008.

A: Poured a hazy, bright orange wit a monstrous 3 finger styro-foam head that displayed great retention clinging to the sides of the glass for dear life as it slowly receded leaving a huge clumpy lacing on the way down. Visible carbonation was moderately strong.

S: The nose was strong with tart lemon juice and some funky barnyard aromas.

T: The flavor had a strong and dominant tart lemon juice flavor that just assaults the taste buds from the get go. A sharp acidity and carbonation fizzle soon follows. Puckering fresh lemons yield to a yeasty tart citric finish that is sure to roll your eyes back. Overall, very tart and acidic, was hard to pick up on any of the oaky character.

M: light, oily slick with a spritzy carbonation bite that is detected long after the swallow in the pit of the stomach.

D: Pucker up, a real eye squinter here. A bomber may be a struggle for the novice or even intermediate lambic drinker, so beware. Best shared with a friend. After the first couple of sips the beer does become moderately easier to handle but does pack a punch to it.

08-05-2008 22:59:49 | More by beerthulhu
lacqueredmouse

Australia

3.65/5  rDev -16.7%

Pours a very slightly hazed pale golden colour with a filmy and quite fizzy head. Looks surprisingly still in the glass, but the head dissipates so quickly. It's rather surprising. Very thin body. Overall, sure, it's fair enough for a Gueuze, but it's overall a little meek.

Nose is redolent with sharp and slightly citric acidity. Quite tart with a touch of oak, but only a light brushing. Lighter, and more sharp characters of grapeskin and rubbed lemon are the dominant characters. Slight wine-like character, but even that is probably giving a bit too much body. It's extremely light, but fragrant and pleasant.

Taste is also very dry and tart, with a strong single point of acidity running through the palate for the duration. Hints of underripe peach and crushed kaffir lime come through, with a flavour that doesn't scream acidity, but which brings an astringency to the palate as a whole. It's quite refined, but I can't get over the fact that it feels a little one-dimensional. Still, that one dimension is plenty tasty.

I don't know. I've had some tasty gueuzes, and some ones that had such a mellow and refined complexity to them. To be honest, I feel this missed the mark a little bit. There's no doubting the skill that went into it, but I've certainly had better.

12-16-2010 04:13:00 | More by lacqueredmouse
Chico1985

3.68/5  rDev -16%

3rd beer in a gueuze tasting, shared by cbutova. Been wanting to try this for a while. Bottle date is 12/12/09.

Pours hazy orange. Huge white head dissipates quickly to a half-finger soapy bubbly head. Turns to a ring, not much lacing left.

Super sour scent. Brett, barnyard, sweat, lemons.

Super sour taste. Brett, barnyard, lemon, oak. Just very very sour, not sure how else to describe it.

Out of the gueuze's we tried this was easily the palate killer. I enjoyed the abrasiveness but it seemed a little one-note for me, no specific flavors stood out except for pure sour funk.

01-22-2011 15:18:21 | More by Chico1985
rarbring

Sweden

3.68/5  rDev -16%

Vinatage 2010. The beer is dark golden with amber traits, slightly hazy, a rather frothy head leaving good lacing.

The smell is musky and earthy, stable, wet dirt and concrete.

The taste has rather much initial sweetness, fruity and fresh, then sour rhubarb and vinegar - but rather modest, some concluding grape peel bitterness.

Medium carbonation, small bubbles, rather thin but refreshing body with a slightly dry finish.

Refreshing, and good with mature cheddar, a rather small body, maybe sampled too young.

02-13-2011 15:58:41 | More by rarbring