Drie Fonteinen Oude Geuze - Brouwerij Drie Fonteinen

Drie Fonteinen Oude GeuzeDrie Fonteinen Oude Geuze

Brouwerij Drie Fonteinen visit their website

Gueuze |  6.00% ABV

Beer added by: rastaman on 09-27-2002

This listing is for all vintages of the Oude Geuze, but not for bottles specifically labelled "Oude Geuze Vintage".
to view all ratings, reviews and sorting options.
Ratings: 2,265 | Reviews: 692
3.27/5  rDev -25.3%

I have never, ever, heard a cork pop as loud as this one did. It actually hurt my ears. Opaque burnt orange body with a striking white head.

So much dirty funk on the nose that it's hard to concentrate on anything else. Overripe and astringent lemon. I'd normally say musty basement, but here it's more like a dungeon. There is something evil here. In a nice way.

The intensity of flavor matches or exceeds Cantillon, though I still prefer the latter, because I very much prefer sour to funk.

Horse blanket and acetic acid are massive here. Very yeasty, with lemon and pineapple floating around. The astringency seems to completely cover and linger on the roof of my mouth... it's not so bad, but the problem is I can imagine it being better integrated. There is a very sharp, and more importantly, pure, vinegar note on the finish that dominates the experience.

The texture of this beer feels nice, but something about it makes it difficult to swallow.

There is too little going on here besides the powerful vinegar taste to really be impressive. There are plenty of Flemish red ales that have an even bigger vinegar burn, but they are balanced by other flavors or sugar. This lambic is naked. What is impressive is that it does manage to be drinkable and interesting.

4.2/5  rDev -4.1%

375mL corked and caged bottle with bottled on date November 30 2005, poured into snifter at Brouwer's, reviewed on 5/15/11

A: Pours a clear golden color with orange hues and a whitish head that leaves some lacing around glass.

S: Lots of barnyaardy funk with tons of earthy aromas, grass and some lemon peel.

T: Similar to the aroma, lots of funk, lactic sourness, really earthy with citrus notes and oak. Many layers of intriguing earthy complexities.

M: lighter bodied sour with moderate carbonation, finishes dry.

O: Very funky and earthy gueuze, nice and crisp with good drinkability.

4.32/5  rDev -1.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

750ml cork and caged green bottle at cellar temp poured into a snifter shared with my girlfriend and her friend. bottle april 26,2010 (about a year in the bottle)

pours out a fairly clear golden color with a fizzy white head that faded completely within a minute or so. nothing too special to look at. the second glass was much more cloudy and held a slightly better head.

mostly lots of barnyard, musty funk. some fruits as well, mostly citrus.

big crisp, sharp carbonation, a little fizzy. again, musty barnyard funk is the main player. lots of good acidity and sourness. some tart lemony citrus as well. lighter bodied. coats the palate with tart sour, sugary acids.

overall, a stand up gueze, very well made and good tasting. i maybe was expecting more than just the funk, but still an exceptional lambic.

i drink this bottle as i bottled my very own homebrewed saison with which a gallon of it will sit on the dregs of the oude gueze for a few months. this beer has a very nice, solid funk to it and i only can hope mine turns out even somewhat close.

3.93/5  rDev -10.3%

Bottle from March 2010. First gueuze ever, so I had little idea what to expect.

Poured a hazy copper with a frothy head that settled into a thin cap for the duration. Fairly pretty looking beer.

Very subtle aroma of tartness, some apple perhaps. As it warmed the sour aromas became more pronounced, and some funk crept in.

Weird balance of flavors here. Nearly no funk in the taste. Crisp sourness up front, bittering hops to finish. Warming the beer caused both the sourness and bitterness to explode, and it became a little tough to drink towards the end.

Body on the light side of medium with excellent carbonation. They advertised carbonation reminiscent of champagne but I would say that's not accurate at all. No insane effervescence and relatively small bubbles. Much more like beer, and very well done.

I wonder if I had this one when it was too young. I liked how different it was from what I usually drink, but I wouldn't seek this out again.

4.25/5  rDev -3%

Bottle says 5 Mai 2008. Poured into a Stone IRS snifter

A: Pours a hazy blonde color, well carbonated. 3 finger white foam, with good retention.

S: Sweet citrus/lemons, tart cherries, hint of apple cider vinegar and a touch of funk.

T: Strong citrus/lemon flavor with some apple cider vinegar, sweeter than I anticipated. A little funk, but less funky and sour than I would prefer. Still very complex.

M/D: Good carbonation, medium body.

Overall: It is a very good beer, don't get me wrong, but I was wanting more sour and funk to the beer, I thought it was a bit too sweet for the style.

3.8/5  rDev -13.2%

12.7 oz corked and caged bottle poured into a Bruery tulip.
6% ABV, Bottled on Dec 12th, 2009, "Good for at least 10 years from bottled date."

A - Effervescent with a tall white head, Oude Gueuze is barely cloudy with a vibrant golden yellow. Despite heavy carbonation the acidity drops the head like a bad habit. Spotty lace adorns the glass.

S - Heavy on the lactic acid, it smells almost barf-like. Strong, complex yeast interaction with the barnyard qualities hinted at and the sour, sweaty gym sock aroma pulling forward from a vigorous swirl. Malty balance in the background.

T - The acid level is almost overwhelming in flavor and feel, pushing it past the great nuances the yeast has to offer in the aroma. Medicinal notes on the back end pop through the moderately malt-balanced mid section.

M - Biting acidity is sharp as is the overly strong carbonation. Burp-central here. A nice combination of dryness and sourness finishes this medium-bodied Gueuze out.

O - A good one overall, this has been a more pleasant experience than my first try of it. Still though, the extreme carbonation and acidity don't lend well to drinkability.

A; golden yellow almost no head.

S; woody,grapefruit,vinegar.

T; grapefruit,wood,bitterness

M; the grapefruit stays long in your mouth the longer its stays there it turns into a woody taste.

O; good geueze bitterness,sourness and the woodtaste stays in balance.

4.4/5  rDev +0.5%

Bottled on Dec. 2009 375ml champagne style bottle.

Huge noise off of the cork. Extremely high level of carbonation. White frothy head that is actually holding, something I have noticed most lambics do not have is head retention. Crystal clear pale amber color. Impressive looking beer. It could be acquired, but I absolutely love that smell. Intense Brettanomyces aroma. As usual, the body is very thin, highly acid Ph, very sour flavor. Taste like a good representation of a Gueuze. I feel awful saying something like this but it is almost kind of bland. I like a bit more funk and complexity in my sour beers. On the other hand this is a very accessible Lambic style for people looking to try it. Highly drinkable sour beer.

4.15/5  rDev -5.3%

Poured from a 12.7 oz. bottle (Bottled On 12/10/09) into a tulip glass.

A painstakingly slow pour yields a massive 2 1/2-finger off-white head that quickly diminishes with much energy and excitement to a thick covering within a couple minutes. The body is a hazy light honey color with streams of rising carbonation bubbles.

The aroma bursts from this beer the instant it is uncorked. Slightly sour, a little funky, and very fruity. White grape juice and green apples give this an almost wine-like nose.

After a dry, almost nonexistent start, this beer strikes the middle of your tongue out of nowhere with a great sourness. The second it is swallowed, the sour retreats leaving a sweet, fruity aftertaste. White grapes and lemon flavors really enhance the sourness. Very little lacing can be found throughout consumption.

Medium bodied with great carbonation, this beer fizzes on your tongue no matter how quickly you swallow each sip. Normally I am not a fan of this much carbonation, but I really think it gives this beer more character.

It is definitely drinkable and with only 6% you can enjoy multiples. The head retention is phenomenal and the aromas can be noticed across the room. The flavor is delicious, but not as sour, nor as dry as I would prefer from this style. The carbonation is explosive, but not necessarily in a bad way.

4.32/5  rDev -1.4%

12.7oz bottle served in a tulip.
bottled date: Dec. 12th, 2009

pours a hazy, dull golden yellow while yielding a huge, billowing 3"+ foamy white head that quickly dissipates into a collar around the glass; a bit of patchy lacing is evident.

nose is pungent, offering tart, aromatic notes of barnyard funk and earthiness with a background citric/white grape quality.

lots of sour funkiness come through in the flavor. very tart, dry... although it doesn't have that overly sour, mouth-puckering quality you find in many gueuzes... secondary notes of vinegar, white grape, and lemon. the style is one i don't typically go crazy for but i'm appreciating this.

crisp, light-bodied mouthfeel with above average carbonation.

overall this is an enjoyable, well made gueuze and more approachable than many.

4.28/5  rDev -2.3%

Happiness defined, is hopsbreath munching on some blue cheese and drinking some high quality sour beer. I'm happy right now. 375ml bottle poured into a Duvel tulip. Purchased at Beamont Market in Portland for $9. Bottled December 10, 2009.

A: Big fluffy snow white head on top of a slightly murky meyer lemon body. Spotty lacing is unexpected but welcome just the same. 5/5

S: Tons of raw brett. The funkier, more barnyard qualities are most dominate here. The lactic notes aren't quite as clean as a Cantillon Geuze, but Cascade Brewing has me a little burnt out on pure lactic sourness at the moment. I'm enjoying the deeper complexity of this.
4.5/5

T: The cheese I have at hand is helping me pick out the bacteria riddled cow juice flavors right off the bat. Wet and dirty leather deepens the palate as well as moldy wood. The dirty lactic I described in the aroma presents itself here as well. Kind of like a slightly shriveled lemon that has outlived its shelf life and just got vigorously squeezed causing some pith to come out with it. Sour muscat grape skin with a heavy dose of tannins makes its presence known here as well. Very complex. Very interesting. 4/5

M: Spritzy and champagne like. Thin body is expected for a spontaneously fermented beer and this delivers just that. Tart, puckering finish, leads to the "pop" sound of a dry palate. Nailed it. 5/5

O: I think I like Cantillon just a touch more. The depth of the funk here is really intriguing, but the clean sourness of the Cantillon is something I enjoy just a little bit more. That is to say I think Cantillon is great but this world class Geuze is "merely" very good. 4/5

4.27/5  rDev -2.5%

750ml bottle poured into an Allagah Tulip. Bottled on January 17, 2006.

Pours a hazy dark golden with a huge off white head. The head fades to an ever present quarter inch white cap.

Nose is quite funky. Musty, like wet hay and mushrooms. Smells o funky green apples intertwined.

Tastes moderately sour and plenty funky. Pretty restrained for the style, but still quite complex.

Dry and crisp. Lovely.

This is a really nice Gueuze. Brings all the right elements together into a well made package.

3.7/5  rDev -15.5%

Bottled Dec 19th, 2009

Appearance -- Pours a light amber hue with a slim frothy white head.

Smell -- Bright acetic tartness, citric (lemon) and musty brett character, mushroom, and faint malt sweetness. Earthy and vibrant, but still has room for improvement.

Taste -- Very dry, nearly no malt sweetness. Oaky, lemon and mild horsey brett, wild mushroom earthiness. Acetic is moderate but still bright. Lactic sourness is very laid-back. These two things lead me to believe that this bottle was a perhaps a little too young to open. Finish is oaky and drying. Very balanced indeed.

Mouthfeel -- Medium-light body with sprizy carbonation. On point.

Overall -- Undoubtedly well-crafted, but somehow this one didn't thrill me like many other Gueuzes. Perhaps it was the milder lactic sourness and the overtly dry malt character. Somehow this didn't hit my gueuze 'sweet spot.' Nonetheless, this is an incredibly well-made beer and I look forward to revisiting this in the future.

4.42/5  rDev +0.9%

Beer shows bottling date of December 12, 2009.

Pours a hazy honey color with a very bubbly 2 inch white head that fades to a film on the top of the beer. Small particles of lace after each sip that sink down into the remainder of the beer. Smell is very mouth watering. Notes of vinegar, funk, and must blast the nose. Slight scent of an earthy wood smell is present too. Taste follows the smell with sour vinegar, funk, must, and some wood notes. Very, very tasty but not as sour as I would have imagined. This beer is very carbonated but it works very well in making for a crisp and clean mouthfeel. I haven't had too many beers of the gueuze style, but this is a great beer for anyone interested in sour beers.

3.8/5  rDev -13.2%

Holy crap, I'm amazed at how many people dig these types of beers. I give this beer props though, I understand what they are going for here and I understand why people seek these out. I'm not really a fan of these Gueuze Lambics but I'm trying to be fair here. This puppy was poured out by a guy sitting next to me at the Bethlehem Speakeasy who was loving every bit of it. I asked what he was having so he gave me a taste. It was unbelievable the sour aroma spewing out of the glass. It almost smelled unhealthy to even consume this thing. I drank my sample and I was blown away by how sour and acidic this beer was. This straight up reminded me of tasting stomach acid after a bad night of drinking. For anyone who enjoys these I praise you, I just couldn't ever drink a whole bottle of this one.

4.45/5  rDev +1.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

Big thanks to 321jeff for throwing in this want of mine in a recent trade.

Poured from a 375ml bottle into a Spiegelau tulip. Very nice apricot hue. Starting with a clear pour, but the next will surely be more hazy, a little yeast never hurt anybody. Bubbly white head quickly fizzles away to nothing.

Smell is impressive and big. Tons of in-your-face sourness and barnyardy, sun-dried poopy funk. It's obvious that things are heading in the right direction.

Taste delivers as it mirrors the nose. Very tart and sour. Puckeringly so. Heavy on the horse blanket, as many would put it. Definitely brings the funk to the table. Potent would be putting it lightly.

Mouthfeel starts off with lively carbonation and finishes rather dry. The strong tingling helps cut through some of the big tartness.

This seems to be a great example of the style, I would suspect. I haven't had TOO many gueuzes, but this is the most intense so far. I just wish I hadn't burned the roof of my mouth earlier on that bratwurst. It's stinging with every sip.

4.5/5  rDev +2.7%

Live review of the 12.7 oz bottle dated Dec 10, 2009.
A: Bright clear golden with constant bubbes and a sticky constant half-finger white head.
S: Musty rustic green apples, noticeable brett., sourdough bread base.
T: The underripe apples with lemon and vinegarette and green leafy hops transforms into a dry rustic beer that leaves sticky sweet/sour apple juice on your teeth.
M: Medium body with a frothy carbonation changes to dry with the stickiness on the teeth.
O: Solid. I'd recommend this gueuze.

4.15/5  rDev -5.3%

My very first in this style, interested to see what all the praise is about. 375ml bottle poured into my Weyerbacher tulip. Bottled on Dec 12th, 2009.

A- Brew pours out to a beautiful golden and orange color. Good amount of bubbily white head and settles down to about 1/2 finger. This is probably the most carbonated beer I've ever seen in terms of bubbles. Almost looks like a science experiment.

S- Definitely a distinctive Belgian yeast strain with some cotton candilike sugar notes. Then it makes way to a funky, funky odor. Must be some brett, there's also lactic notes suggesting a sour drink is at hand. That funk translates mostly to wet hay and leather in my opinion. You'd think not to drink something with this smell but I enjoy it.

T- Sweet and tingly sour. Fairly vinous and tart. Heavy acidity that gathers in my stomach. Flavor includes lemon, green sour apples, a little vinegar and some of the hay felt from the nose.

M- The high amount of carbonation is tamed in the mouth and actually is pretty smooth. Carbonation is felt, and combines with the puckering effect. Medium bodied.

O- This is good, not overly sour and interesting aromas. I'm glad I finally tried this style. A little on the pricey end for this, but you do get quality. I would've liked to have some wood in the taste but the tartness dominated my taste buds.

3.95/5  rDev -9.8%

December 2009
Thanks much to plenum for this bottle

from notes

A - cloudy amber, white film and ring of head

S - a bit funky, sourness, tart.

T - tart sourness well balanced with some woody notes. actually quite enjoyable, and I don't particularly like sour styles

M - it's dry and biting, which is not something i particularly like, but it's just what I'd expect from this style

O (D) - better than most sours I've had

3.88/5  rDev -11.4%

12oz bottle, dated December 10th, 2009, poured into snifter.

A: Pours a cloudy orange-golden color, with 2 fingers of towering, fizzy, bubbly head. Not much lacing, but decent head retention considering how fragile it looked.

S: Tangy typical lambic/gueuze aroma, with some citrus fruits and white grape making their presence known, along with a big rush of oak.

T: Very tart and lemony to start things off, but more so in the flavors- this isn't a super sour beer; rather well-balanced. White grape in a big way, with oak coming through once again. Ethanol is noticeable as the beer warms, but just to add a hint of spice- not unwelcome at all.

M: Thin/medium body with moderate carbonation, even if it was lower than I expected for the style. Acidic mouth and teeth coating on the finish.

D: This went down pretty easily, but I wasn't stoked to take my next sip like I am with my favorite beers. Quite enjoyable nonetheless, I'll try to pick it up again even with the high price point in place.

4.58/5  rDev +4.6%

A: Pours a nice golden/orange color with several fingers of fluffy white head and fluffy lacing.

S: A good dose of sour funkiness, vinegar, and sour grapes. Perhaps a little leather too.

T: Really great. Light fruit flavors of apple, white grapes and lemon up front, with some notes of white wine to boot. This transitions into some much more earthy flavors, leather, funk. Only a mild sourness in the finish. Mouth puckering by no means, but very refreshing and drinkable.

M: Medium bodied with subtle carbonation and a dry finish.

O: I'm relatively new to drinking Gueuzes, but I enjoyed this immensely. Plenty of sourness in the flavor, but not overly so. Lots of good balance and surprisingly refreshing. Definitely lives up to the hype.

4.4/5  rDev +0.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4

Poured from the bottle into a tulip glass. Bottling date is Dec 12th 2009.

Out of the bottle sits a cloudy lemon body that glows like an orb. Head is white rock hard and tight with some good staying power. Visible tiny carbonation comes up from the bottom. Minimal spotty lacing, but it's the pour and noise out of the bottle and what hits the glass that seems most impressive in appearance.

First nose of the bouquet is a dry extremely dry apple cider, burnt yeast and dry air. Feels also a kind of burnt ash and wooded fireplace ashes. REALLY arid. This is probably very jarring if you're not expecting it but I really enjoy it and was really surprised and like it.

Taste is a tight crisp burnt apple mixing with ashes and cider feel. Champagne and sparkling wine brut-ness. Extremely dry finish and refreshing. Incredibly tight sensation in the mouth as if eating crabapples over an outdoor wooded fire.

Overall this is pretty exciting but I have to be in the right mood for it. Boy this would really pair well with grilled fish on the bbq, or even just simple grilled shellfish. I am not so sure I would want to dive into this just to drink on its own, but I really dig this.

4.95/5  rDev +13%

Bottled on 3/10/2008 - Three years and one day ago. Cork is in good shape, which is a plus since I've had fresher bottles of lambic with crumbling corks. Pops open with fierce, but no bubbling over.

A - Pours a hazy gold - surprising since I figured the yeast would have formed a nice cake in the meantime. I left some yeast behind, but I guess it must have kicked up some when I moved the beer to the freezer tonight. Very nice off-white head that poured up out of the glass in a nice pillowy fluff. After at least five minutes it has settled into a thick, dense cap. Very nice for a lambic.

S - Damp hay, earthy, musky brett notes with the typical nostril-filling acidity. The ample carbonation really helps display the aroma - really nice to find it this way after a few years. There's some light oakiness, but I didn't notice it for the first couple minutes.

T - Plenty of acidity upfront that really hits with a big lemon and bit of wood. It's on the cooler side still, so I think that's really reinforcing the acidity. As it warms it opens up a bit, layering in some of the damp hay and general earthiness mentioned above. I thought this much time would muddle the flavors some(not in a bad way), but instead the flavors seem very defined without being overwhelming at all.

MF - Lots of carbonation that seems to accentuate the dryness of the beer.

D - The best gueuze I've ever had. For me, the acidity is really spot on and doesn't completely blow you away, while still being very sharp. The time in the bottle actually seems to have mellowed out a lot of the funk, resulting in an incredibly drinkable gueuze.

I've had this before, so I knew what to expect, but it has been a while, so either experience or the bottles age has changed things. I expected good, but this is one of the best beers I've ever had. It's sad to know it'll never be brewed in this fashion again(though I hope it remains exactly the same). Cheers.

4.2/5  rDev -4.1%

Pours a slightly murky yellowish orange. A bit of white head. Smells funky and tart. There is a nice fruitiness. Some yeasty hints and very well balanced. Tastes very tart with some nice light fruits. A few floral citrusy tastes. Vry nicely balanced and well carbonated. Drinks very cleanly

4.1/5  rDev -6.4%

A-hazy yellow with a nice white head
S-funky sour taste. Not bad at all
T-just like it smells. very funky but not overly sour. Fruiy with a clean and smooth taste.
M-light bodied and very crisp and nice sour aftertaste
D-decent with a good sour aftertaste

to view all ratings, reviews and sorting options.
Drie Fonteinen Oude Geuze from Brouwerij Drie Fonteinen