Drie Fonteinen Oude Geuze - Brouwerij Drie Fonteinen

Drie Fonteinen Oude GeuzeDrie Fonteinen Oude Geuze

Brouwerij Drie Fonteinen visit their website

Gueuze |  6.00% ABV

Beer added by: rastaman on 09-27-2002

This listing is for all vintages of the Oude Geuze, but not for bottles specifically labelled "Oude Geuze Vintage".
4.58/5  rDev +4.6%

750ml, unlabeled bottles of the 1997 and 2001 vintages, enjoyed in 3F Geuze glasses at the 3F restaurant in Beersel on 3 June 2011. When the scores of the different vintages were different, I averaged them (but rounded up when the the average wound up evenly between scores).

1997
A: Brilliant, only lightly hazed orange body under an airy inch of off-white head. Great retention for a Geuze, as it settles into a persistent cap. No lace, but that's to be expected. Stunning. I initially gave this a 5, but the 2001 that followed was distinctly prettier. 4.5

S: Funky as all hell, but also deep and somehow delicate. Profoundly earthy, with dirt and lemon being the two most prominent aromas. Lightly floral, with mushroom, barnyard, and bread round things out. Lovely. 4.5

T: Sour citrus is up front, followed by pleasant malt sweetness, and finished with a wave of intense funky earth, cheese, basement must, and moss. Smooth. 4.5

M: Soft medium body, pleasantly light carbonation. Nice, but a bit more life would have been a better complement to the acidity. 4.0

O: This was my first beer in Belgium, and it couldn't have been more amazing. I got to share it with a couple great California BA's that happened to be at the restaurant at the same time (Cheers to DaveJanssen and hobojon!), and this ridiculously old Geuze was also ridiculously delicious. I couldn't get over the depth of its earthy, cheesy, musty funk, nor the way that this funk melded perfectly with fruity acidity. This was simply a delicious beer, and one that I feel privileged to have enjoyed. 5.0

2001
A: Hazier and deeper orange than the 97. Gigantic, rocky, pillowy head. Great retention and even some chunky lace. Fantastically gorgeous Geuze. 5.0

S: A bit more acidic, with green apple and lemon on top of the same deeply earthy funk. Not quite as complex as its older sibling, since the sourness overwhelms a bit of the crazy funk. 4.0

T: Sharp acidity up front, which transitions beautifully into earthy funk. Not as much complexity, but I love the brighter fruity tartness. Long, clean, dry, almost metallic finish. Terrific. 4.5

M: Surprisingly it's a bit fuller than the 1997, despite being noticeably less sweet. Similarly light carbonation. 4.0

O: If you had described the 97 and 01 to me ahead of time, I would have expected to enjoy the more sour, aggressive 01 more. Having had them both side by side, I absolutely preferred the richly complex, richly bizarre funkiness exemplified so beautifully in the 97. Both were amazing beers, but the 01 just didn't have quite as much individuality and depth. Maybe in a few years... 4.5

I'll add reviews for any more vintages I'm lucky enough to enjoy. When it comes to straight Geuze, 3F has officially surpassed Cantillon and Girardin as my new favorite.

Cheers!

EDIT: I was lucky enough to go on a second trip to Belgium, and got to drink the 1999 vintage of this beer. While I didn't take detailed notes, I just want to point out that it was right up there with Lente for the best Geuze I've ever had in my life. It was almost tragically close to perfection, and since I drank it at Bier Circus I don't have to worry about the romance of the brewery setting having possibly clouded my judgement. I'll keep hunting down new vintages of this beer, but I really can't imagine that any of them will come close to the '99. Here's hoping my imagination is just a little bit too limited...

4.57/5  rDev +4.3%

I'm finally opening this fixture of my cellar. I haven't had too much Belgian anything lately, so this will be a treat.

Bottled: November 30 2005

APPEARANCE: Pours a slightly hazy amber golden into my Hennepin goblet. A rocky, loose-bubbled, white head forms atop the beer and drops to a nearly full surface covering.

SMELL: Funkalicious! A heavy sourness is joined by a pungent wet hay. It's like a sour fruitiness combined with a funky barnyard combined with a musty basement combined with a Belgian beer. It's really awesome. The tart fruit qualities seem to outweigh the funk, but only by the slimmest of margins.

TASTE: It begins wonderfully smooth with a mild sour funk that seem like it'll be a sneak preview of things to come. And boy is it ever. The funk comes first in the form of more musty basement. As the beer finishes however, an overwhelming sour tartness comes on with lemon and apricot. By the time you've swallowed, you're left with such a puckering sourness that you can't help but take another sip. I love it.

MOUTHFEEL: The light body makes this beer seem quite dry. The carbonation is at a lower level, but still is piquant and sharp.

DRINKABILITY: The sourness might be a slight knock on the drinkability, but it still goes away way too fast. The lower ABV and light body don't hurt either.

Wow, what a treat. If I'm feeling like a gueuze, this will be the one I grab for sure. I'd love to try a fresher version of this to compare to the 2+ year old one I had tonight.

4.57/5  rDev +4.3%

A: This beer pours a cloudy orange body with a super thick head that slowly fades. There is hardly any lacing either.

S: TONS of funk, and that's EXACTLY what I want. I am getting a strong bit of sour candy, a bit of grass and earthiness and some fruity yeast.

T: Very sour and tart. There is also a good amount of fruit and grass. The sour bubble gum flavor is for sure my favorite part of this beer.

M: The beer has a thick body with a strong amount of crisp on the tip of the tongue and the back of the throat.

O: This is just an amazing beer. Pretty pricey for how small the bottle is, but the flavor really makes up for that. Very delicious

VLAAMSVEST '08

Bottle at Cambrinus in Brugge. Best before 10/01/07. Apple juice yellow, clear, warm amber core, no head. A few bubbles here and there. Spicy nose, lots and lots of funk. Green apple. Palate is chalky, mature, small hop presence but noted, moderate pucker. Yeasty bitterness, alcohol very moderated. Wonderful to drink.

4.57/5  rDev +4.3%

Poured from a 12.7oz caged and corked bottle (dated Nov. 30, 2005) and served in a tumbler. This beer poured a hazy, glowing orange with a two-finger thick head of tight, beige fizz that slowly faded away into a thin, lasting cap. Not much lace to speak of. The aroma of the beer was made up of oak, grass, oranges, along with loads of funk. The flavor was very woody and earthy. Lots of wet wood, mildly tart acidity, sourdough, and a light citrus sweetness. Extremely funky, but not overly sour. The mouthfeel was light to medium-bodied and a bit crisp with modest carbonation. Insanely drinkable and thirst-quenching. Lovely stuff!

4.57/5  rDev +4.3%

Bottled 1999. Murky amber hue. Lean, but well retained cream white head leaves loose, meandering lace. The aroma is comprised of pungently overripe, moldy peach along with bile acid tones. Softens steadily as it breathes, with softer citric, sour lemon notes and earthy, humus tones providing delicate contrast. In flavor, Brett wastes no time, and envelops the palate with damp horseblanket and dirty hay. Barbed, acetic, sherry wine vinegar pierces through, and the stubborn wild yeast relinquishes its hold. Fruit, of an obviously tart underripe nature, ensues in the form of cranberry juice and nappy crabapple. Gentle, buttermilk like lactic notes manage to eek in as well and provide a gentle curdled skim milk impression. Very well attenuated, yet with a softly dextrinous mouthfeel. Trace, bitter lemon rind notes surface late along with simply tart, malic acid hints. Do lambics undergo malolactic conversion? If so, this fine brew should become unbelievably smooth with additional cellaring. Finishes with a snap of pear like sweetness, but otherwise with a puckering, parching kumquat like citric acidity. A dynamic, truly delicious brew of which I enjoyed every ml. Superb enough in drinkability... I could easily go for 1500 ml. My willpower caved in. I was planning on aging this. It's a tough life...

look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

A: Full gold, clear, with a loud and fizzy white head. The cork shot off this bottle as soon as I was removing the cage! Almost dropped the bottle as a result!

S: Rotten wood and nectarines. In a good way of course.

T: Gentle, fresh acidity - like tart, underripe fruit. I'm particularly thinking tart blackberries here, you know, the ones that aren't totally black yet. There is a good oak presence and dry, woody finish.

M: Fizzy and drying, very agile.

O: Gosh, do I enjoy this more than Cantillon gueuze? I think I might.

4.57/5  rDev +4.3%

Pours a hazy orange-ish color with an off white head. In the aroma, sour, yeasty, and somewhat fruity. In the taste, sour and tart, with a small sweet fruitiness that lingers all the way through. A sour bite and lighter bodied mouthfeel, with a dry sweet tart like aftertaste. Sweet and sour, light body, quite fantastic.

4.57/5  rDev +4.3%

375ml bottle poured into a Cantillon wine glass (and a small Cantillon glass).

Bottled on March 10, 2008.

A - Poured in the traditional method, where the beginning and end of the pour is in a separate vessel (apparently it isn't seen as 'real' gueuze by Armand...) It is a bold, vibrant orange color with it running between light brown and dark yellow as well. Hazy throughout. Because it was a continuous pour, I am left staring at over 3-fingers worth of foamy, off-white head. It recedes fairly quickly, however, leaving big flakes of foam behind.

S - To be honest the nose is slightly less sour and funky than I was expecting. It shades being more toward the funk than the sour, which is always nice. Getting a nice amount of the oak in here. It has a certain wet freshness to it which is surprising given the age, but lends itself nicely to the citrus and tart apples in it.

T - This is one of the most pleasing and inoffensive gueuzes I've had (which isn't drawing from a huge sample, but still!) Not overpowering in terms of funk or acidity or sourness at all, just enough to get the tastebuds tingling and flesh out the flavors. Very reminiscent of a dry white wine in terms of the fruit flavors coming through and the finish. This is like a nice drive through the country rather than having to plow the fields each and every morning type of funk. Enough to give a distinct flavor but not one that overpowers. Very wet and juicy, with the dampness lending itself to some dankness. Finishes with a nice combination of tart apples, grapes, lemons, and a bit of malt.

M - Mouthfeel is relatively light-bodied with high carbonation. Still lively and zesty despite the three plus years of this being in the bottle (not counting the aged lambics within the blend!). Finishes quite dry which accentuates the bite of some of the flavors.

D/O - Drinkability is high. Probably the most 'quaffable' gueuze I've had by far. Each and every sip of this was a joy and the funk definitely did not overshadow any of the subtle complexities of the aged lambic. After sipping from the glass that had the beginning and end of the bottle, it's easily much different than what I had in my drinking glass, which I guess does lend itself to the belief that it should be consumed separately (or not at all according to some brewers, but I won't go that far.) This separate glass was a bit more bitter, didn't have as much fruit zest in it, and was a bit more heavier.

4.57/5  rDev +4.3%

375ml bottle into a snifter.

A - Straw colored, with a huge three fingers of pillowy head that recedes quickly to a spotty cap. No lacing to speak of. Great looking but fades too quickly.

S - Bright citrus notes right off the bat, backed by some musty funkiness. Less grassy and more lemony. The funkiness is very forward.

T - The citrus note is very prominent, like someone just squeezed lemon in my glass. There's a bit of leather, plus some hay and some just-took-your-shoe-off funkiness. No alcohol, just plain sunniness in a glass. Everything works perfectly here.

M - Tale of two beers -- for the first few minutes, it's outstanding, effervescent and light, almost champagne-like. After 15 minutes or so, for some reason the carbonation seems to fade and it gives the impression of very light carbonation.

D - The citrusy flavors, the effervescence, and the general lightness of the beer all contribute to a very high drinkability. I could sit and drink this for days.

O - The only thing standing in the way of this being an every day beer for me is the price. $10 for a 375ml is a bit high, although it is an import. I wish they'd make something like this in the US.

4.57/5  rDev +4.3%

375ml green bottle - Corked, Caged & Foiled - Bottled February 1st, 2008 - Almost three years old as I pop the cork and pour it into a tulip...

Pours a glowing, golden orange with tons of fluffy white head which slowly recedes into a hefty cap of white haze, some lacing is left behind. A constant stream of tiny bubbles continues to rise to the surface...

As I poured, an overwhelming scent of super tart green apples and general tart cider-like aromas hit my nose authoritatively, from a few feet away...but when I actually put my nose to the glass, most of that strong, tart apple/cider smell is washed away by a big blast of funk, barnyard scents abound, earth/dirt/hay, musty and dry. Some lemon rind cuts through the funk a bit at the end. More funky and less "in-your-face" lemon sourness than most Gueuzes. Funky, complex, balanced and beautiful...

Subtly tart (compared to many other Gueuzes) with a nice green apple pucker. The dryness and funk come out early and often. Supremely musty, astringently dry, earthy with the taste of Southern Wisconsin air on a humid summer afternoon (barnyard). A dry and slightly bitter lemon rind flavor comes out again after my palette becomes accustomed to the depth of funk. Didn't smell much oak, but an oak taste definitely comes through in the finish...

Medium bodied, although fairly highly carbed, this beer is smooth, the dryness kind of sits there in your mouth, becomes more and more dry as I drink...

Fantastic Gueuze. The smell may have been the best I've experience to date, the taste is sublimely smooth, complex and balanced and it finishes nice and dry...

Vintage 2004:

My last Gueuze was the Cantillon which nearly puckered my mouth beyond recognition, so I was rather apprehensive when I decided to tackle an entire bottle of this by myself. I poured it into a Dogfish Head oversized wine goblet from the 750mL corked and caged bottle. The color emerges as a hazy orange with a foamy off white head. The foam fizzles down to a ring and wisps across the top leaving some lace down the sides. The aroma is dominated by pears and tart apples but has hints of spicy farmhouse ale characteristics. The taste is where this beer truly shines. Certainly tart pear and apples up front, but for all of the tartness that exists here, there is an equal amount of sweetness in balance. There is a bit of hay/barnyard type of flavors in the finish as well. The body is light-medium with full effervescent carbonation that adds to the body. It is amazing how drinkable this beer is. You really get a nice tartness but it is wonderfully refreshing and not overpowering. Instead of fearing the tartness of the next drink, your palate feels refreshed and eager for another taste. This has to be my favorite Gueuze at the moment (I think my count is 4) and I would readily pay the money for this one again.

4.56/5  rDev +4.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Bottled October 2013

Appearance: It has a beautiful hazy golden/orange color to it. It has a nice thick white head that dies down moderately slow and leaves light lacing.

Smell: The aromas definitely give out hints of green apples, tart citrus/lemon, barnyard funk and some oak.

Taste: Like the aromas, it has sour green apples, tart lemon, some citrus notes, nice barnyard funk and some woody oak.

Mouthfeel: It has a medium carbonation with a very nice overall balance and feel.

Drinkability: It's a very smooth drinkable beer accompanied by great flavors and aromas. This is one of my favorites in the Geuze style. Not overly tart, flavorful and well balanced. A must try for anyone who loves Sours.

look: 5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

4.56/5  rDev +4.1%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

Poured from a Corked and Caged 375ml bottle dated March 5 2012 into a Prairie Teku glass.

Appearance: A deep amber, cloudy, with clear wisps of yeasty sediment flowing throughout. Sizable off-white head, which dissipates moderately quickly but persists with a thin layer that isn't going anywhere any time soon.

Smell: That classic vinous gueuze smell is coming through here. Tart, fruity, funky. I'm excited to take a sip. This is clearly a top notch beer.

Taste: Funky, vaguely vinegar character to the tartness. A faint bitterness toward the end, some grainy maltiness balances this all out. The vinous fruity character I smelled is coming through nicely too. A slight grassy quality too. A good gueuze is really something.

Mouthfeel: As expected, quite carbonated. Creamy though, after the initial rush.

Overall: This is really good. Well worth the trade, I'm glad I could get some of this. I'd love to compare it to the other world class Gueuzes, I still haven't had Cantillon's for example.

4.56/5  rDev +4.1%

Rustic peach skin in color, with a signature, gigantic 3F froth. The nose is at its best when you let the enormous head fall, to about 2 inches (and what a falling, I might add.) It’s very expressive at that point, compared to a full huge froth, which doesn’t reveal much, or a small, filmy head, which is still pretty vibrant, but not quite as expressive. It releases a very fruit filled aroma with hints of apples, orange and grapefruit along with an unbelievably woody scent which hints of freshly cut, burnt and white wine stained wood and a touch of leather. The flavor is so fruit filled, almost like a platter of full, gummy fruits or a packet of fruit snacks, with easily detectable notes of peach, nectarine, and grapefruit and perhaps a light hint of apple. All supported by a very firm maltiness, a clean, yet approachable tartness and an extraordinary wood barrel character. Wow, what artful balance. Armand is the man. It’s amazing he can choose a blend between Girardin, Oud Beersel, Hanssens...etc...and come up with a blend like this. While I find some gueuze unexciting (Frank Boon’s Oud Beersel and Franks Boon’s lambics in general), some a bit harsh (A few of Cantillon’s offerings; Fou Foune, Gueuze, although I do love some) and some a bit plain (Hanssens), I find Drie Fonteinen unbelievable almost each time. It’s all about his balance. This lambic reminded me of how much I love Gueuze.

4.56/5  rDev +4.1%

Poured into a Cantillon taster glass. Nice fizz when poured, lots of effervescent bubbles race to the top of the beer much like champagne. Dark golden color clear of haze (pat on the back to me for a good yeast-free pour for once). Beautiful looking beer; it should be in a museum.

Smells sour with a hint of wood. Not as dominant in the funky area; this is a clean sour smell.

The sour taste here is nicely balanced. Flavors of apple and grapefruit peel are apparent. The finish is very dry, with a bit of mustiness (but not much).

Nice sparkling mouthfeel; great for the style. Absolutely perfect.

Love this beer. Always a treat and highly recommended.

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.5

Appearance – This one came out of the giant champagne bottle a pristine orange in color with a slight darkish-brown hue. The head was huge and fluffy. These bubble are very tight, clinging together as they slowly dissipated from the top of the liquid.

Smell – I know it’s an often overused phrase, but I could LITERALLY smell this from across the kitchen. I don’t know the vintage, but this one has aged past the light, purely lemony nose that divulges the youth of a less-mature Gueuze. The malt base is significant, the farm light but noticeable, and the spices very musty.

Taste – This sour ball really puckers things up at the taste. The tartness is monstrous at the taste but mated well with the gigantic malt base. There are some good farmy notes in here as well, but not overly so. The sweets are more like powdered sugar than anything else. Together this Gueuze is extremely complex and rich and not for the novice drinker.

Mouthfeel – Here’s where I just couldn’t get enough. The carbonation is sooo tight and so tingly on the tongue. I don’t know how they pack so many bubbles in here. They are not what I call “cheap” like in champagne. The mouthfeel is collected on this medium to full-bodied ale with some sharp, powdery spicing and even some dryness to keep things interesting.

Drinkability – This is a real sipper and only for the experienced Gueuze drinker. It’s a real heavy-hitter and I wouldn’t recommend it as a “first try” for the style. If you like big, explosive farmy sour Belgian Ales though you have to give this baby a whirl.

Update – I popped an ’04 vintage in 2006 and it is right on track with my initial review of this gem. The carbonation is huge and tight, the stank blooming from the get go, and the farmy flavors are not to be messed with.

4.55/5  rDev +3.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.5

Appearance - Pours a nearly opaque dirty golden color, somewhat more orange at the core. A big fluffy white 2 inch head rises almost immediately and lasts for the entire glass.

Smell - Intensely funky and musty. Barnyard, old leather, lemons, goat cheese and a hint of spoiled milk. More pleasant than it sounds.

Taste - Wonderfully funky and sour, but not over the top in either character. Tart, unripe fruit is at the forefront here, with earthy undertones of oak and hay. A touch of vanilla is present in the background, leaving the faintest hint of sweetness on the tongue. Fairly low acidity makes this a very drinkable gueuze. My only gripe is that the finish could use a bit more oak; otherwise, this is top notch.

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.5

Pours out like a white wine all fizzy yet holds a head. Color is brownish gold and crystal clear. Smell is sour with some clear notes of horse blanket and citrus fruit. Taste is sour and there's a lot of sour lemon flavor. This doesn't give me a sour face. Mouthfeel is really great the carbonation is smooth and soft on the palate. Overall I think this is my best geuze ever. I would like to get lots more of this.

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.5

Notes: Blend of 1, 2 and 3 year old lambics, fermented and matured in oak vats. Not filtered. Spontaneous refermentation in bottle. Bottled April 8, 2005. Label notes that the beer keeps at least 10 years after bottling. 6% alcohol/volume. Ingredients: 60% barley malt, 40% wheat malt, hops, water (no yeast). 37.5 cL bottle. Tasted Wednesday, Nov. 14, 2007, in Paris, France.

Tasting notes:

Appearance: Pours a completely clear tawny golden apple cider colour with a frothy head that quickly subsides to a thin pool of foam in the middle of the glass and a thin rim, though bubbles continue to rise. Honey and amber tones when held up to the light. Lace appears after refilling the glass, alongside an archipelago of bubbles on the surface. I decided not to add the yeast, which had formed a tight ring at the bottom of the bottle, fearing it would only add chalkiness. However, after the second refill, the beer has taken on a yeasty haze and is no longer clear.
Nose: Pear and lemon drops immediately. Slight vanilla and oak, with some musty leather. Then the brettanomyces notes kick in - sour, lactic, but not overpoweringly so. Field berry notes follow, with a pleasant, grassy hoppiness. Maybe even some banana and spice. Refilling the tasting glass from the bottle offers a distinctly herbal note of rosemary.
Taste: In the mouth I note vanilla and fruit, followed by an acute tartness which fades very quickly, revealing oaky vanilla and a slight tobacco finish. The tartness is reminiscent of tart plum skin, and the vanilla flavour is accompanied by a sweetness that counters the tartness. Again there is a grassy, hay-like note of aged hops, and a slight metallic bitterness. I also detect elements of choke cherry and something refreshing that I can't pinpoint (aside from the tartness) - maybe a very faint menthol note. The carbonation is prickly and a bit shocking, although not surprising for the style. There is some spice on the finish, including nutmeg.

Overall: One of the best, if not the best, gueuze I've ever had. The acidity is calmer than most and the tartness doesn't linger. The vanilla and oak are more prominent than in other lambics I've tried, which is very pleasant. The fruit, grass and spice notes combine very nicely. I find it interesting that they use a 60:40 ratio of barley to wheat as opposed to the usual 65:35, and that the alcohol is high for the style. I'd love to try an older example.

4.54/5  rDev +3.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Drie Fonteinen Oude Geuze from Brouwerij Drie Fonteinen