Drie Fonteinen Oude Geuze - Brouwerij Drie Fonteinen

Drie Fonteinen Oude GeuzeDrie Fonteinen Oude Geuze

Brouwerij Drie Fonteinen visit their website

Gueuze |  6.00% ABV

Beer added by: rastaman on 09-27-2002

This listing is for all vintages of the Oude Geuze, but not for bottles specifically labelled "Oude Geuze Vintage".
Reviews: 695 | Hads: 2,466

Drank at De Garre in Brugge

A - Pours a hazy golden colour with a White head that is foamy and retains well.

S - Smells classic acidic lambic that has plenty of salty citrus about it.

T - Nicely balanced with acidity and citrus has a nice bitter finish that will leave you wanting more.

M - A little light on the body and decent carbonation.

D - One of the better Gueuzes that you'll find

3.95/5  rDev -8.8%

Bottled on March 10, 2008.

This was my first serious sour/real lambic so I was a little unsure of what to expect. I don't think this is the normal "beginner" sour. However I was pleasantly surprised and liked it a lot. I will have to try this again down the road once I've tasted some more of the style and revisit this one.

Color is a semi-hazy orange straw color with a little head that receded quickly. Nicely carbonated.

Smelled of sour pear and cider with a damp mustiness to it. I detected a sour astringency that reminded me of a strong Gorgonzola (my wife thought it smelled like feet).

The taste was definitely sour, but not puckering at first. There were ripe black cherries in there along with an unbaked bready dough smell. Definitely grew on the funk scale (and sourness) as it warmed.

Bubbly on the tongue with a prickly sour finish, this is a dry beer that truly reminded me of champagne. I finished most of the bottle (my wife didn't care for it as much as I) but our 450ml? bottle was enough for me.

3.95/5  rDev -8.8%

Appearance: Hazy copper/gold. Head is minimal, bright-white and bubbly. Ruddy. So very hazed. Pours almost flat with a more viscous body than expected.

Smell: Apricots, apples, slight funk. Very fruity and floral. Bread, musty, and oak. Smells very much of oak. A slight citric bite. Sesame seeds and a little bit of sweetness. Almost toasted at times.

Taste: Sweet and slightly funky. Citric bite. Toasted notes. Floral and subtle fruit. Oak is prevalent. Apricot and snappy apple. Mildly funky with an undercurrent of wood. So much oak it's silly. Touches of straw. Very delicate overall.

Mouthfeel: Full, but just barely. Smooth. Feels undercarbonated. So very smooth. Touch dry from the oak.

Overall: Solid overall, with a great depth. Looking for a little more tartness. Oak is a bit overpowering in the long run. Still, it's damn tasty.

December 2009
Thanks much to plenum for this bottle

from notes

A - cloudy amber, white film and ring of head

S - a bit funky, sourness, tart.

T - tart sourness well balanced with some woody notes. actually quite enjoyable, and I don't particularly like sour styles

M - it's dry and biting, which is not something i particularly like, but it's just what I'd expect from this style

O (D) - better than most sours I've had

3.95/5  rDev -8.8%

Thanks to sleepydave for bringing over this classic. Poured into a snifter. The body is a hazy, orange, pumpkin hue with a nice fluffy white head on top. Some lacing on the glass.

Lots of sourness up front in the aroma, followed by orange citrus and some well done barnyard funk. A little malty and earthy as well. Not noticing much of the barrel aging in the aroma, but everything that I do pick up is well done.

The flavor of this gueuze is nice and sour. Picking up some apples, grapes and citrus. Sweet, with a touch of cherry on the finish. Malts make their way into the mix as well, playing a role in the sweeter aspects of the beer. Unlike the aroma, I am pulling out some subtle oak notes in the taste. Slight warming alcohol in the background. This offering has a nice level of complexity.

Mouthfeel is prickly, yet still light on the carbonation. Sourness adds some puckering to the mouth, but is not too intense. Medium body.

Drinkability is quite good. Oude Gueuze packs a good sour punch, but doesn't go over the top, making this very drinkable for style. Subtle complexities in the taste keeps your hand reaching back for more.

Overall, this is a very well done gueuze and one that will unfortunately become harder to come by (brewery is shifting to a full time distillery). I hope to try it again in the future and would recommend it to anyone interested in the style.

3.94/5  rDev -9%

Thanks to Geuzelover for this aged sample, bottle reads- 1/22/2004

Cloudy orange color with very little head (maybe to due age of this sample).

Smells tart with some spice and horseblanket.

Leathery spicy horseblanket, sour lemon, lactic acid taste/feel.

One of the more complex geuzes I've sampled, but not sure how much is due to age as I've yet to try a fresh sample.

3.94/5  rDev -9%

375 mL green champagne bottle with cork, cage and foil presentation; bottled February 1, 2008. Brewed with 60% barley and 40% unmalted wheat. Pours a clear toasted amber hue, quite effervescent, with a huge, crackly head that nearly escapes the glass. It settles to a clingy half inch that doesn't quite grab on to the glass strongly enough to deposit any lace. Its surprisingly mild aroma contributes lemons, malt and a dash of funk. Prominent acids and esters on the palate, with a lactic acid twang, cherry, lemons, earth and an oak presence. The body is nearly full at times, with loads of carbonation, an oaky dryness and a sour finish. This one seems to focus more on the sourness than the funk, but it is well-balanced and very easy to drink.

3.93/5  rDev -9.2%

Poured from a 375mL bottle into my New Holland Tulip. Date on bottle is March 10, 2008

A - Hazy yellow with a bit fizzy white head. Lots of bubbles running up the side of this thing.

S - Funky smell with a nice dose of grape skins. Reminds me of a sour muscadine grape. I think this one will be sour.

T - Tart grapes, a lemony yeast flavor and a bit of funk. Some spicy pepper flavor but the tart flavor really is strong in this one.

M - light body with a ton of carbonation. I know it is supposed to be well carbonated but this is a bit too much.

D - This would destroy a sour noob. I've enjoyed it though and would pick this one up again... however I prefer fruit lambics. And this certainly isn't as sour as Cantillon Kriek or La Folie. Really a solid brew however, my only problem is the boatloads of carbonation.

3.93/5  rDev -9.2%

A: Hazy golden color with a light tan head.

S: Overpowering aroma. I could smell this from a few feet away. Heavily fermented apple, a bit of white wine, musty barnyard funk and something that smelled a bit like parmesan cheese.

T: I was a little spooked by the smell, but the taste isn't bad. Lots of tartness with some apple cider vinegar, a good dose of funk and a bit of musty wood.

Picked up a bottle of this at the Hill Farmstead brewery. Bottled November 2010

A - Poured a cystal clear golden hue with a half a finger whtie foamy head that faded to leave a nice thin blanket atop the pour.

S - Not as prominant fruits as I drink this compared to the other gueuzes I had this night. Good oak, little sweet, light fruits. This has a bit of an alcohol finish on the nose.

T - Taste isnt too too bad. Nicely sour with very good oak notes on the end. Dont really get a particular fruit type though, just very pleasantly sour. I do get good funky belgian notes, but then I get a rather yeasty aspect that I dont particular care for on the finish. I left the yeast in the bottle so not sure why its this prominant. As some say, this is typical for the brewery, but I just dont dig it.

M - Wow, super dry on the mouth. Really good gueuze dryness. Good balanced sourness but the lips do pucker a bit.

O - Overall, this is a good gueuze. I felt the nose was a bit lacking and could do without the strong yeast finish, but that crisp dry finish is a great quality. Stuff is really enjoyable, but, not my favourite.

3.93/5  rDev -9.2%

A very nice beer with a refreshing and interesting bitterness - chinotti like

aroma: quite dry, barnyard funk and Belgian citrus

taste: dry with a tartness/sourness that is enjoyable and refreshing to drink. Has barnyard funk, chinotti, citrus like bitterness and apple skin with funky lemon and some Belgian spice. Thirst quenching.

Not that easy to find in Australia, especially in regional areas, so a rare treat.

3.93/5  rDev -9.2%

Bottle from March 2010. First gueuze ever, so I had little idea what to expect.

Poured a hazy copper with a frothy head that settled into a thin cap for the duration. Fairly pretty looking beer.

Very subtle aroma of tartness, some apple perhaps. As it warmed the sour aromas became more pronounced, and some funk crept in.

Weird balance of flavors here. Nearly no funk in the taste. Crisp sourness up front, bittering hops to finish. Warming the beer caused both the sourness and bitterness to explode, and it became a little tough to drink towards the end.

Body on the light side of medium with excellent carbonation. They advertised carbonation reminiscent of champagne but I would say that's not accurate at all. No insane effervescence and relatively small bubbles. Much more like beer, and very well done.

I wonder if I had this one when it was too young. I liked how different it was from what I usually drink, but I wouldn't seek this out again.

3.9/5  rDev -9.9%

Most have rated this a world class geuze. I'm not ready to go on in on that one. Now, it is true that I have not drank many in this style. And it may have something to do with the fact that my bottle was 5 years aged (maybe they age well maybe they don't). So . . . I will revisit it again someday and hopefully give a better review.

3.9/5  rDev -9.9%

A - Nice audible pop, slightly murky honey, near white head, leaves slow. Some cling lace.

S - Sour tart, barn yard.

T - Very very tart. Some of the barn is evident too. Mineral aspects evident too.

M - Medium to light body, lots of carb, balance is to the tart, of course.

D - Nice, refreshing, fun to drink.

3.9/5  rDev -9.9%

Beer poured from bottle into Snifter shaped glass

A - Beer poured with an orange opaque colored body; some lacing form on the side of the glass, but the beer remained thin in appearance; one finger size white head formed

S - Sour, white grapes; traditional lambic/sour nose, very thick and prevalent; champagne nose with a subtle touch of oak

T - Sour grapefruit taste; tart; hints of fruit, like pineapple; the sour taste lingers for quite a while; woody oak and cork follows up the sourness and finishes with a light white vinegar and lime taste

M - Thin and bubbly feel; could have had more body, watery; bitter aftertaste leaves very quickly

D - Good drink, easy sour flavor really feels and taste great on the tongue; probably one of the better Gueuze drinks out there; fantastic after-meal drink

3.88/5  rDev -10.4%

A 750 mL corked and caged bottle purchased at State Line a few months back. The ale is dated 28-Feb-2004.

A: The ale is a darker orange, full of brown notes that results in a applesauce color. The haze is appreciable, a result of the last pour of the bottle. The head is quite large, almost overflowing my Chimay glass on at least two occasions.

S: The nose is dominated by the barnyard aromas, thick and tart. The tartness does not include the sour vinegar angle that I find unpleasant.

T: The tartness is apparent from the first sip. Tart green grapes lead off, sour with hints of sugary sweetness. Barnyard flavors intermingle with and fuel the tartness, ramping up the flavor seemingly with every sip. Further investigation reveals more fruit flavors, some citrus to rival the grapes. The tartness remains biting throughout.

M: The mouthfeel is tough, thick with bitter funkiness. The grassy citrus notes make this a good beer to sit and slowly sip.

D: The moderate abv is great, allowing for a full-bodied and flavorful ale with a 10% abv pricetag. I am not a 100% convert to this style but I'm working on it

Bottled 12/12/09.

A-Pours a very goldenrod color with a quarter of finger of white head and fine champagne-like bubbles.

S-Smells of lemon zest and a bit of mustiness.

T-Bitter, acidic lemon zest upfront with some dry and slightly sour lemon finish.

M-Very well carbonated and prickly in the mouth with a light body.

D-Very nice and not as funky or sour as some other Gueuze I've had, but a very nice example.

3.88/5  rDev -10.4%

12oz bottle, dated December 10th, 2009, poured into snifter.

A: Pours a cloudy orange-golden color, with 2 fingers of towering, fizzy, bubbly head. Not much lacing, but decent head retention considering how fragile it looked.

S: Tangy typical lambic/gueuze aroma, with some citrus fruits and white grape making their presence known, along with a big rush of oak.

T: Very tart and lemony to start things off, but more so in the flavors- this isn't a super sour beer; rather well-balanced. White grape in a big way, with oak coming through once again. Ethanol is noticeable as the beer warms, but just to add a hint of spice- not unwelcome at all.

M: Thin/medium body with moderate carbonation, even if it was lower than I expected for the style. Acidic mouth and teeth coating on the finish.

D: This went down pretty easily, but I wasn't stoked to take my next sip like I am with my favorite beers. Quite enjoyable nonetheless, I'll try to pick it up again even with the high price point in place.

Poured into Lost Abbey tulip on 6/15/2011

A- Pours a very attractive tan leather gold with a very pretty transition of light orange into a warmer brown from variance in light penetration. Head is generous but gives away quickly.

S- Wow. Very rich and cleansing barnyard smell with strong lemon, grass, and a little appleskin upfront. I found the smell invigorating.

T- Kind of a big let down. I was expecting something powerful from the smell and the complex appearance, but taste is very faint. Yeast seems to be quite prominent in the taste with the nose ingredients mostly finding their place in the aftertaste. While very mild, it also avoids being offensive whatsoever.

M: The carbonation and overall mouthfeel is very nice and revitalizing. The mouthfeel is for me the primary experience in the drink, and a good one at that.

O: A refreshing drink with some great characteristics and some unusual notes. Sadly, the taste fails to deliver in a way that could keep me interested and intrigue me into picking this up again. Should the flavor move out from its shy hiding one day I'd love to have this again.

3.88/5  rDev -10.4%

As soon as i pulled back the cage around the cork without even touching the cork this pops like no other just like a champagne botle and it gushes out everywhere and when poured its a hazed golden hue which leaves a creamy three finger head and lacing everywhere,the smell is sweaty socks,wet soil,lemon zest and freshly cut grass,the mouthfeel is medium bodied and rather creamy and on taste it tastes just abit young for a Gueuze so be good to age and i get hints of lemon zest,sunrise limes,mandarin,barnyard funk and finished with a herbal apple candy sourness and overall its nice but like i stated previously this is one to age cheers.

3.88/5  rDev -10.4%

Bottled Nov 30, 2005. In the continuing effort to broaden my beer horizons, gueuze represents the final frontier. To infinity and beyond...

Perfect copper color. Like a dissolved penny. A shiny new one. The tiniest of bubbles. Smallish white head. Fairly clear.

Smell is sow-wah! Actually made my mouth water though. Pungent! The last gueuze I had smelled like dirty feet and turned me off. No foot fetish here. This one is much better. Still funky, just not foot funky.

The taste is one thing, the sensation is another. It more or less explodes flavor throughout your whole pie-hole. It's a rush. Sow-wah!

Light, dry finish.

Overall: makin my way, the only way I know how, but that's just a little bit more than the law will allow

3.86/5  rDev -10.9%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 4

Hazy, opaque golden-orange-copper brew. Beautiful. Big, fluffy snow white head, with good retention and minimal lacing.

Sharp, tart aroma from the moment the pour begins. Light funk, as expected; straw; some citrus; sour, white wine-like vinegar. Earthy.

Flavor follows the aroma, with an added, noticeable earthy, dirt-like flavor. Funk in three directions (earthy, musty, and sharp), light citrus, wheat. Reasonably sour. I don't know if the burnt dirt flavor (smokey?) is a function of bottle, palate, or environment; it's not entirely unpleasing, but it's unexpected.

Nice puckering sour mouthfeel; medium overall. Certainly a sipper. Nice astringency.

This is far more funky and earthy than the Golden Blend I tried the other day, and it hurts the brew. It's a very good Lambic overall, but simply not as special, and not as good. Off of one bottle, I have to say this rates with a typical Geuze or Gose, instead of standing out as something particularly special.

3.85/5  rDev -11.1%
look: 2.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Amber golden color with a fluffy head with short retention.
Aroma is even stronger than Cantillon Lambic, with horse blanket much more present and quite funky. It sticks to your nostrils for a while.
Same happens to its flavor, strong tartness with notes of lime, funky pineapples, lactic acid, hard green apples, vinegar and non sweet champagne. Very dry and acid aftertaste. I feel like my tongue was glued to my mouth.
Medium to full body with good carbonation that is effervescent at a second stage.
A funky party. This one is bolder than Cantillon, while the latter is more elegant. So depends on what mood you are on, but it may be a notch above the other.

3.83/5  rDev -11.5%

Poured from a 750ml cork and cage bottle, 2012 vintage

A - Pours a golden straw color with very little head.

S - Not as strong of a smell as I expected. But, I do smell some apple, a little bit of lemon, and a touch of funkiness.

T - As you take a sip, you get a bit of tartness up front, like a sour apple or lemon, but the sourness is much more subdued than many other geuzes. It finishes with a little bit of a wheaty barnyard taste. Overall, this is a very refreshing and well balanced geuze, but it kind of lacked that "wow" factor that I was looking for in a Wold Class beer. Nonetheless, it was quite tasty.

M - The carbonation is nice and this beer has a good mouth feel, but I enjoy the finer, more champagne-like carbonation that other geuzes offer.

O - I had a Cantillon Geuze side-by-side with this beer, and in my opinion, the Cantillion blew it away. I wish this beer was a bit more sour, funky, and carbonated. But, I would certainly like to get another to cellar.

3.83/5  rDev -11.5%

Thanks to BankerJoe for this bottle. It's a 12oz Belgian bottle that he brought back rather than the imported 22oz bottle.
Pours a light straw color. Forms a moderate head, but nothing too rocky. Pretty typical for the style.
Smell's sour and citrus. Picking up a little grassy hops and some barnyard-esque yeast, but the sourness dominates.
Spicy! Yes, the flavor starts sour, but there's a strong peppery bite to the finish. Very citric, but the finish is peppery (maybe some sea salt) and dry. There's minimal aftertaste, so it's really easy to drink a few sips to take everything in.
Body's somewhat thin, but it holds the flavor very well.
It's obviously really sour, but the spiciness is unique enough to make you come back. I'm not a huge fan of the style, but I do like this item and might revisit it if the price is right.

Drie Fonteinen Oude Geuze from Brouwerij Drie Fonteinen