Learn more about beer and save over 53% with a 3-year subscription.

Drie Fonteinen Oude Geuze - Brouwerij Drie Fonteinen

Drie Fonteinen Oude GeuzeDrie Fonteinen Oude Geuze

Brouwerij Drie Fonteinen visit their website

Gueuze |  6.00% ABV

Beer added by: rastaman on 09-27-2002

This listing is for all vintages of the Oude Geuze, but not for bottles specifically labelled "Oude Geuze Vintage".
Reviews: 690 | Hads: 2,430
3.81/5  rDev -12%

Bottled in December 2009. Sampled after Duck Duck Gooze and Boon Mariage Parfait Gueuze 2004. Notes from Friday.

A- Dark caramel orange with yeast floating around causing a hazy looking beer. Massive frothy head with huge bubbles and great retention builds and retains well. Tons of lace.

S- Hugely funky, more in the must basement/rotten way, but nice (lol). Vinegar/acetic notes in here with lemon, peach and floral notes amongst even more funk.

T- Sour funk bomb. Citrus fruit, lemon and straw really dominate this one to me. Very sour. Oak.

MF- Creamy light body that is very sour.

DB- Cheek puckering sour gueuze with a lot of funk. More straight forward than the other two. Will probably have it again in the future or try vintages.

3.8/5  rDev -12.2%

12.7 oz corked and caged bottle poured into a Bruery tulip.
6% ABV, Bottled on Dec 12th, 2009, "Good for at least 10 years from bottled date."

A - Effervescent with a tall white head, Oude Gueuze is barely cloudy with a vibrant golden yellow. Despite heavy carbonation the acidity drops the head like a bad habit. Spotty lace adorns the glass.

S - Heavy on the lactic acid, it smells almost barf-like. Strong, complex yeast interaction with the barnyard qualities hinted at and the sour, sweaty gym sock aroma pulling forward from a vigorous swirl. Malty balance in the background.

T - The acid level is almost overwhelming in flavor and feel, pushing it past the great nuances the yeast has to offer in the aroma. Medicinal notes on the back end pop through the moderately malt-balanced mid section.

M - Biting acidity is sharp as is the overly strong carbonation. Burp-central here. A nice combination of dryness and sourness finishes this medium-bodied Gueuze out.

O - A good one overall, this has been a more pleasant experience than my first try of it. Still though, the extreme carbonation and acidity don't lend well to drinkability.

3.8/5  rDev -12.2%

This particular bottle is five years aged....I never thought I'd get a chance to try this brew.

it pours up a murky rust color with a big frothy off white head. the nose is funky, musty, light fruits, and good diarrhea (when you smell it, you'll see what I'm talking about). the taste is the same as the nose, super sour, oaky, smooth, medium bodied, medium carbo, delicious

1999 Vintage

Color is a hazed golden yellow. Has a lot of active carbonation in the glass. A white head with good carbonation.

Aroma: Really funky with straw and lemon citrus. It is acidic, tart, and funky. Old and musky. Cobweb musk flavors. Oak notes.

Taste: Woody, oaky, and funky. It is acidic and sour. It has notes of a basement and cobweb. Just a really old beer and you can pick it out. It has a bunch of lemon citrus and it is very acidic.

Mouthfeel: Sour, tart, acidic. Medium bodied with a decent amount of carbonation for how old it is. Ends dry, but clean.

Overall, it shows age, but it is still a decent beer. I am really glad I got to try this one.

3.8/5  rDev -12.2%

Holy crap, I'm amazed at how many people dig these types of beers. I give this beer props though, I understand what they are going for here and I understand why people seek these out. I'm not really a fan of these Gueuze Lambics but I'm trying to be fair here. This puppy was poured out by a guy sitting next to me at the Bethlehem Speakeasy who was loving every bit of it. I asked what he was having so he gave me a taste. It was unbelievable the sour aroma spewing out of the glass. It almost smelled unhealthy to even consume this thing. I drank my sample and I was blown away by how sour and acidic this beer was. This straight up reminded me of tasting stomach acid after a bad night of drinking. For anyone who enjoys these I praise you, I just couldn't ever drink a whole bottle of this one.

3.79/5  rDev -12.5%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

Wonderful Aroma coming off the top. Let the beer do its thing and then shortly after poured into a snifter. Tart cherries, barnyard, hay, and spicy yeast on the nose. Taste of spicy yeast and horse blanket. Nice dry finish that really leaves your palate unscathed.

3.78/5  rDev -12.7%

This is one of my first Guezes and I am amazed by the balance and taste of this one.

Appearance is near perfect, a big rocky head and a lot of carbonation reaching for the surface in a very fast pace. Color is orange brown and a little murky.

Smell is mildly tart, with some lactic acid notes. There is a little basement smell in there which is somewhat fungal (is that a word?). It also reminds me of flowers like chrysanteneums.

Taste is moderate acidic with flowery notes (same as above) and a little cork-like taste. My mouth really has to get used to the dryness and sourness, it makes my saliva glands work. Slowly but surely I am getting used to it. The dry, tangy taste is lingering.

Not as acidic as I expected, and for sure a good beer, but not something I will buy frequently in the future.

3.78/5  rDev -12.7%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 3.75

Bottled on Dec.5, 2012

Pours hazy honey gold with a huge 2 inch white head that settles to a thick cap on top and leaves streaks of spotty lace.

Smell is of funky yeast, grainy malt, hay and faint citrus.

Taste is of sour apple, tart peach and yeasty bread.

Mouthfeel is lighter bodied with high carbonation. Streaming champagne-like bubbles rise throughout the drink down.

Tart, fruity, light and refreshing but, the flavor seems rather one dimensional and I cannot get past the overwhelming barnyard aromas. Somewhat disappointing.

3.76/5  rDev -13.2%

Bottled on 28 Feb 2004. The cork got away from me. Damn near put a hole in my buddy’s ceiling. And a gusher to boot. But all was well. Hazy straw gold color pourd into an Orval glass. Lush white head. The aroma is full of horse blanket, sweat socks and oak. Nice. Very tart, and I thought it developed some sweetness as it warmed. Not as dry as the other one I tried. I think I’ll buy another bottle and sit on it for a bit.

3.75/5  rDev -13.4%

2007 bottle poured into a wine glass with some friends.

A- Oude Gueuze pours out a light yellow hazy color with tan highlights. Only about a 1/2 inch of loose white foam rose up before whimpering out. Hardly any lace.

S- A nice dose of citrus with lemon and light apples. Not really picking up any malt or hops just a nice burst of sour tartness, nothing extraordinary.

T- Tastes like a really nice gueuze but it's much less tart and exciting as i was hoping. Some lemon zest with a slight tart/sour thing going on. Basically a slighty sour lemon drop with some yeast and other bugs coming into play.

M&D- The feel on this gueuze is extremely thin with not a lot of puckering capability, some carb is present though helping things out. The drinkability is high as the abv is low as is the sourness of this beer. Im thinking I drank this to young, it can easily go for about another 25 years in the bottle, so hopefully it will funk up in the future.

3.73/5  rDev -13.9%

Let me preface this review by stating that this was my first Gueuze . . . I've had some flemish reds/sours before though.

Bottled on date of Feb. 1, 2008. Beer poured into a Duvel tulip quickly forms a four finger head. Bubbles vibrantly race to feed the head. Beer is a honey colored haze and it looks great. Smell is musty hay and lemons. Wow, this beer is sour. . .lemons come through in the taste as well. No hops, no sweetness. Beer is very lively on toungue. A refreshing beer but quite different than anything I've had before and you'll need to like a sour taste. It grew on me as I drank it though.

3.71/5  rDev -14.3%

Feb. 2004 bottle...drinking Apr. 2007.
What a great looking brew. Slightly hazy orange-gold with a big bubbly off-white, almost yellow head.
The smell is lemon and a decent dose of earthy barnyard.
As soon as it hits your tongue , it's puckering...extremely tart , lemon rind , sour, winey and very dry...astringent. The funky wild flavors are there , but kind of in the background....not as up-front with the horse as some others. I'm missing that a bit. Bitter clean aftertaste.
The mouthfeel is light and very effervescent...refreshing. The sour just doesn't quit.
A very nice Oude Gueze.

3.7/5  rDev -14.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

A - Orange-to-yellow translucent body with no murkiness. Absolutely huge head- this one will take a while to pour. There are a decent amount of tiny champagne-like bubbles, but not as much as I would expect for this style.

S - The aroma is a combination of sour apples and wet hay- a bit funkier than the more tart geuzes.

T - Tart, but not overpoweringly so. No funk or earthiness, either (which is a plus for me; I'm not a fan of the funky/rotten taste that some others have). The aroma is a bit misleading in this regard, but I would call the lack of a funky/rotten taste a positive attribute. Not very complex, but that's fine by me.

M - A bit heavier than I would like for a geuze and lacking the crisp, prickly carbonation that other oude geuzes have. I've noticed an ever-so-slight oiliness as well (which is consistent throughout this case of the '09 batch).

O - To be honest, I was a bit disappointed by this given all the hype around this brewer. It's good- don't get me wrong- but just nowhere near as refreshing as others (namely Boon's two Oude Geuze varieties). At this price point, I would much rather have the Boon Oude Geuze Mariage Parfait.

3.7/5  rDev -14.5%

Vinatage 2010. The beer is dark golden with amber traits, slightly hazy, a rather frothy head leaving good lacing.

The smell is musky and earthy, stable, wet dirt and concrete.

The taste has rather much initial sweetness, fruity and fresh, then sour rhubarb and vinegar - but rather modest, some concluding grape peel bitterness.

Medium carbonation, small bubbles, rather thin but refreshing body with a slightly dry finish.

Refreshing, and good with mature cheddar, a rather small body, maybe sampled too young.

Bottled Dec 19th, 2009

Appearance -- Pours a light amber hue with a slim frothy white head.

Smell -- Bright acetic tartness, citric (lemon) and musty brett character, mushroom, and faint malt sweetness. Earthy and vibrant, but still has room for improvement.

Taste -- Very dry, nearly no malt sweetness. Oaky, lemon and mild horsey brett, wild mushroom earthiness. Acetic is moderate but still bright. Lactic sourness is very laid-back. These two things lead me to believe that this bottle was a perhaps a little too young to open. Finish is oaky and drying. Very balanced indeed.

Mouthfeel -- Medium-light body with sprizy carbonation. On point.

Overall -- Undoubtedly well-crafted, but somehow this one didn't thrill me like many other Gueuzes. Perhaps it was the milder lactic sourness and the overtly dry malt character. Somehow this didn't hit my gueuze 'sweet spot.' Nonetheless, this is an incredibly well-made beer and I look forward to revisiting this in the future.

3.7/5  rDev -14.5%

3rd beer in a gueuze tasting, shared by cbutova. Been wanting to try this for a while. Bottle date is 12/12/09.

Pours hazy orange. Huge white head dissipates quickly to a half-finger soapy bubbly head. Turns to a ring, not much lacing left.

Super sour scent. Brett, barnyard, sweat, lemons.

Super sour taste. Brett, barnyard, lemon, oak. Just very very sour, not sure how else to describe it.

Out of the gueuze's we tried this was easily the palate killer. I enjoyed the abrasiveness but it seemed a little one-note for me, no specific flavors stood out except for pure sour funk.

3.68/5  rDev -15%

had this one at the trappist in oakland

A- a yellowish copper with a thin off white head, low carbonation.

S- a funky smell sour, almost ammonia but a little different.

T- clean sour apple at first quickly becoming a heavy sour with a lot of complexity on the finish

M- medium body the sour makes it seam more carbonated than it is

3.67/5  rDev -15.2%

Pours a very slightly hazed pale golden colour with a filmy and quite fizzy head. Looks surprisingly still in the glass, but the head dissipates so quickly. It's rather surprising. Very thin body. Overall, sure, it's fair enough for a Gueuze, but it's overall a little meek.

Nose is redolent with sharp and slightly citric acidity. Quite tart with a touch of oak, but only a light brushing. Lighter, and more sharp characters of grapeskin and rubbed lemon are the dominant characters. Slight wine-like character, but even that is probably giving a bit too much body. It's extremely light, but fragrant and pleasant.

Taste is also very dry and tart, with a strong single point of acidity running through the palate for the duration. Hints of underripe peach and crushed kaffir lime come through, with a flavour that doesn't scream acidity, but which brings an astringency to the palate as a whole. It's quite refined, but I can't get over the fact that it feels a little one-dimensional. Still, that one dimension is plenty tasty.

I don't know. I've had some tasty gueuzes, and some ones that had such a mellow and refined complexity to them. To be honest, I feel this missed the mark a little bit. There's no doubting the skill that went into it, but I've certainly had better.

3.65/5  rDev -15.7%

A blend of 1,2,and 3 old lambic. Bottled 28 February 2004, Sampled 8 July 2008.

A: Poured a hazy, bright orange wit a monstrous 3 finger styro-foam head that displayed great retention clinging to the sides of the glass for dear life as it slowly receded leaving a huge clumpy lacing on the way down. Visible carbonation was moderately strong.

S: The nose was strong with tart lemon juice and some funky barnyard aromas.

T: The flavor had a strong and dominant tart lemon juice flavor that just assaults the taste buds from the get go. A sharp acidity and carbonation fizzle soon follows. Puckering fresh lemons yield to a yeasty tart citric finish that is sure to roll your eyes back. Overall, very tart and acidic, was hard to pick up on any of the oaky character.

M: light, oily slick with a spritzy carbonation bite that is detected long after the swallow in the pit of the stomach.

D: Pucker up, a real eye squinter here. A bomber may be a struggle for the novice or even intermediate lambic drinker, so beware. Best shared with a friend. After the first couple of sips the beer does become moderately easier to handle but does pack a punch to it.

3.58/5  rDev -17.3%

This beer was a pretty good gueuze, although I found it very acetic, and although the sourness was nice I would've enjoyed a bit more sourness and champagne character. Nonetheless, still pretty good. Thanks to SurlySober for sharing this bottle with me.

Appearance was an attractive hazy straw color with two fingers of fluffy white head. Aroma was a mix of light champagne character, acetic vinegar-ness, and a bit of fresh-cut apple fruitiness. This beer also seemed a bit light-struck. Flavor was rather sour, but didn't totally make me pucker. There was also some light apple and champagne notes. Mouthfeel was fairly light and bubble-y and appropriate. I did enjoy this beer and would recommend it.

3.55/5  rDev -18%
look: 4.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 3.25

This beer style is not really my cup of tea. The beer pours a great generous head. The smell is like sour fruit. The taste is a fruit sour beer concoction that is not what I really like. The mouthfeel was awesome with this beer but the sourness kinda ruins it for me. Sorry, I am sure sour beer guys love this stuff....and they can have it. Now throw me a Pliny.

Bottom Line: Pucker up! this one is sour.

3.55/5  rDev -18%

350ml bottle caged and corked

A: looked like a typical yellowish gueuze with almost no head and very little lacing.

S: lemons, funk, and vinegar aromas dominate the nose on this beer with a slight oaky note.

T: could defenitely taste some lemon flavor with a little oaknees to it and it wasn't as sour as I was anticipating.

M: the beer was meduim bodied with a decent amount of bubbly carbonation.

D: Love gueuzes but again wasn't as good I thought it would be. Decent gueuze though.

3.53/5  rDev -18.5%

750 ml foiled, corked, & caged; bottled on 02/Feb./07 and shared with trep and friends during a Thanksgiving holiday beer tasting.

Pours a brassy, golden body with a beautiful, bone-white head that leaves behind some nice smatterings of lacing. Exceptional carbonation level on this Gueuze, wafting aromatic notes of chardonney grapes, tart wild yeast, and a bit of oak.

I've come to the sad realization that I'm just not a fan of sour beers. I really want to like them, but I found this beer to be too sour/dry/tart/vinegary. White grape rinds and acetic acid lended the flavor a good deal of pungency, and the light body was exceedingly dry, well-carbonated, crisp, and mouth-puckeringly tart. The 4 oz. I had of this shared bottle were almost more than I could handle. Although sour beers aren't for me, I did enjoy Cantillon's Lou Pepe significantly more than this Gueuze.

3.51/5  rDev -18.9%

Pours amber with a quickly fading head.
Big funky aroma, some old cheese, lots of goat, along with some elderflower and lime.
More elderflower as a flavour, also some light sweet malt, lemon and a fair whack of acidity. Finishes a bit astringent, with a bitterness reminiscent of lemon pith.
Carbonation seems a bit high.

3.47/5  rDev -19.9%
look: 3 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Green 37.5cl bottle: best before 9th Dec 2019. Poured carefully into two old 'Home Ales' half-pint countryman tankards on 3rd Nov 2012.

Almost clear old gold to new golden in colour, no real head to talk about.

The smell and taste reminded me of good quality scrumpy, cooking apples, baking powder and Bicarbonate of Soda: very acidic. I actually thought this was OK and drinkable compared to others in this style.

Try as I might, this style of brewing/bottling and blending still leaves me unimpressed somewhat. I want to embrace the idea of Lambic beers and Geuze but struggle to feel the wonderous excitment other 'beer geeks' get from having beers from this stable or other Lambic breweries.

Drie Fonteinen Oude Geuze from Brouwerij Drie Fonteinen