Drie Fonteinen Oude Kriek - Brouwerij Drie Fonteinen

Drie Fonteinen Oude KriekDrie Fonteinen Oude Kriek

Brouwerij Drie Fonteinen visit their website

Lambic - Fruit |  6.00% ABV

(Beer added by: rastaman on 09-27-2002)
doppelmeup

1.9/5  rDev -55.6%

Let me start off this review by saying that the only other lambic I've had has been Lindemanns, which I liked alot, probably because it was quite sweet and reminded me of a fruit pie.

With that said, I was excited to try a "real" lambic to see what they were like. I have to say that I hated it and found it to be disgusting. I couldn't drink it and it became a very expensive drainpour.

In my review I tried to review it to style where appropriate, and found my comments similar to other reviewers, so I scored it accordingly in those areas.

Poured a pretty ruby red with just slight lacing into a snifter glass. 350 ml bottle dated 12/2005. So far so good.

Aromas of funk, hay, vinegar and a bit of cherry. I guess this is typical of the style.

The taste was horrible. I could only drink a few sips. Very funky barnyard mixed with sour/spoiled vinegar, and not sour in a good way like a nice balsamic would be. Funky aftertaste as well. Only a hint of cherries, and they were very sour.

Mouthfeel, from what I could drink, was lightly carbonated.

Overall, I couldn't drink this beer and poured it out. I guess that I'm not much for the funky Belgian ales, as I also disliked a Fantome Saison, which was also quite barnyardy.

So, take my review for what it's worth.

06-22-2007 16:22:16 | More by doppelmeup
jaidenjb

05-08-2012 23:49:14 | More by jaidenjb
IchLiebeBier

2.5/5  rDev -41.6%

Appearance: Dark, ruby red, like wild cherries; no head at all

Aroma: Sour cherries and old wood

Taste: Tart, sour cherries; very dry throughout with oak barrel notes; very flat overall; not horrible, but not that great, either

Remarks: Bottled in 2006; bought in Strasbourg in 2011, so the sample may have been bad. I didn't like enough to look for another bottle.

Did not score A, T, S, M at that time; disregard those scores

02-29-2012 05:16:43 | More by abp02
Wisconsinality

Wisconsin

3.13/5  rDev -26.9%

2006 vintage poured into New Glarus flute.

A- Pours a deep ruby red that is completely transparent. Almost no head to speak of. No lacing of course.

S- A little funkiness, some tart cherries and some oak. I was expecting a little more going on with this one.

T- This is where the let down begins. I think this one has not aged well. There is a little bit of funk, some book dust and attic cobwebs, thanks Alcstradmus for adding those to my vernacular. A little cherry but more on the dried side than fresh tart. Seems as it might be oxidized.

M- Seems quite flat to me. I think some cherry juice has more carbonation than this. Lighter bodied but not dry on the finish like I was hoping.

D- I am glad I shared this but wish I hadn't plunked down as much cash as I did for this one. The result may differ for you but I won't be revisiting this one.

01-26-2011 16:23:59 | More by Wisconsinality
John_M

Oregon

3.2/5  rDev -25.2%

The beer pours a reddish amber color with good head retention and lacing. On the nose... OK, I've had a sufficient number of lambics and gueuze not to be surprised by what I smell, but this is really over the top. This beer smells for all the world like someone took a dump in my glass. The barnyard aroma in this beer is about as intense as I can ever recall encountering, and it completely drowns out the cherry aroma in this beer (though it's certainly there). It makes for an incredibly complex aroma profile, as well as an intensely pungent one. Given the nose, I was prepared for the flavor profile, even if I didn't care for it. The sour component completely dominates everything else on the palate, with just a hint of cherry and light lime. Personally, I think sour flavors can add something to a beer, as long as that's not all that I'm getting. In this case, all I got was sour, and even after just one small glass, I could really feel the acid from this beer in the pit of my stomach (talk about instant heartburn). Mouthfeel is fairly light, with a moderately long, dry, sour finish. Alcohol is completely unnoticeable in this beer.

An interesting beer I guess, and I'm glad I had the opportunity to try it, but this is another one of those intensely sour lambics, gueuze and wild ales that I just can't appreciate (or understand how anyone else could appreciate).

02-24-2014 19:10:46 | More by John_M
monitorpop

3.23/5  rDev -24.5%

Bottled March 2009

A: Dark ruby red. Zero head.

S: Tart, musty funk.

T: Mild sour, tart cherry skin, some vinegar with a bit of earthy funk.

M: Almost no carbonation. Mild pucker.

O: The lack of head and almost non-existent carbonation seems off. Almost flat...

10-30-2011 04:10:04 | More by monitorpop
HardyGeneraL

3.25/5  rDev -24.1%

08-14-2012 10:14:43 | More by HardyGeneraL
drpimento

Wisconsin

3.33/5  rDev -22.2%

Wow. Simply put SOUR cherry beer. And very red; red in the head like the dick on a dog. Poured with a deep pink small to medium sized head that mostly subsided and a wee bit a lace. Color is a hazy/cloudy burnt red. Aroma is sour cherry yeast musty. Flavor is like aroma. The tartness totally dominates all of the other flavors. Which are cherries malt yeastoids. Good body and excellent carbonation. *burp* Finish is like flavor. Can't think, off hand, when I'd be in the mood for another of these, despite my score.

05-19-2010 00:09:35 | More by drpimento
mbrasi

3.4/5  rDev -20.6%

375mL Lot 01 Bottled Feb. 2005. Pours an orange-red with minimal head. Aroma is tart cherries and wood. Flavor is very sour cherries and wood at first. Finishes very dry and tart. Not very complex, you are overwhelmed by sour cherries with woody undertones. A slight sweetness in there towards the finish but not much else.

09-27-2008 19:05:50 | More by mbrasi
Tilley4

Tennessee

3.48/5  rDev -18.7%

I've been sitting on this one for a bit and decided to crack it tonight.

Poured into a Duvel tulip... Bottled November of 2006 so it should be nice and funky and sour...

Pours a deep reddish burgundy with absolutely no carbonation whatsoever.. Very red wine like in the glass...

Very sour wine like aromas at first but as it warms I get the oakiness big time and its really nice... Those cherries are uber juicy and sour smelling... My mouth is puckering just thinking about the first sip of this one...

Surprisingly smooth! There's a hint of sourness here but nothing like I would expect from the aromas... There's a little vinegary aspect but nothing crazy... Very vinous actually, sort of like a semi-dry red... I can taste those oak barrels though and maybe that's what has this one smoothed out... I really wanted this one to be more sour and funky I guess so the score might suffer a little... Its not bad at all, just a little subdued for my tastes...

I'm wondering if this one would be more bracing a little bit fresher...really wanted this to be more sour and tasty...

04-18-2010 04:37:44 | More by Tilley4
rastaman

United Kingdom (England)

3.5/5  rDev -18.2%

This was really strange for me, had a real stinky, dirty diaper nose, with a suggetsion of sour cherry. I foiund this to be a bit cloying and syrrupy even. strange taste that was a bit off-putting, very earthy and even a bit detergenty for some reason, i loved their gueuze, but couldn't really get into this one, still interesting, and on the whole pretty good, i will surely sample another day though.

09-27-2002 18:17:20 | More by rastaman
Erdinger2003

Iowa

3.5/5  rDev -18.2%

The cage looks pretty old and the label says: 26 Februari 2005. It says that's the bottling date and it's good for ten years after that, so I have a 2005 vintage.

Pours a wonderful looking ruby red with a nice head, but lacing. The smell like a strong flavor of horse blanket and that's it. The taste isn't very tart, just a light sour, slightly fruity flavor with dominate horse blanket. The most horse blanket I have ever had in a beer before. The body is very light as well. The mouthfeel is nice, there's nothing bad about that. Overall drinkability isn't that high, but I would try again if I was in a Belgian mood and it was the best option.

02-25-2007 02:35:05 | More by Erdinger2003

jw1978

05-10-2014 01:50:00 | More by jw1978
texashammer

3.55/5  rDev -17.1%

brought this bottle back from the brewery, where I drank the same beer on cask and found it phenomenol and very unique. (reviewed separately)

pours a bright pink color with barely-pink-but-more-white head that is thick and meringue-like but fades pretty quickly into nothing. supertart smell of cherry candy and a touch of sweetness with lots of tart. in the mouth, there is no puckering bite, although it finishes very dry. acidic in nature. by the end of a glass there is an overwhelming sense of cherry-flavored candy or cough syrup; a fake taste. champagne effervescence is very pleasant though.

conclusion: while not a bad beer, I was so very, very disappointed when comparing with the cask, that I wanted to cry.

02-20-2006 01:16:56 | More by texashammer