2. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Armand'4 Oude Geuze Lente (Spring) - Brouwerij Drie Fonteinen

Armand'4 Oude Geuze Lente (Spring)Armand'4 Oude Geuze Lente (Spring)

Brouwerij Drie Fonteinen visit their website

Gueuze |  6.00% ABV

"The first of four limited edition geuze blends using lambics brewed by 3 Fonteinen before the thermostat incident ceased brewing operations."

(Beer added by: alcstradamus on 05-01-2011)
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Reviewers
Ratings: 306 | Reviews: 116 | Show All Ratings:
woosterbill

Connecticut

Bottle enjoyed at the brewery, poured into a 3F wine-style glass by Armand himself.

A: Crystal clear, strikingly bright orange-amber body with a steady stream of bubbles rising up to maintain the gorgeous, fine, pillowy tan head that rises just over the rim of the glass. Armand couldn't have poured it any prettier; perfect.

S: Funkier than funk. Cheese, earth, grass, barnyard, and chalk. Some smoke and charred oak. Apple and nectarine acidity, and some gorgeously aromatic floral notes - lilac? Heavenly.

T: Bright fruit (green apple) tartness up front, quickly welcoming the funk (earthiness, hay, cheese, grass, barnyard), and oaky vanilla. Clean acidity and light funk on the dry, long finish. Everything works perfectly, with no one element outdoing the others. In a word, perfection.

M: Suple medium body - very creamy and lively. Superb.

O: I shared this bottle with a couple great California BAs (cheers to hobojon and DaveJanssen!), after we had finished drinking 1997 and 2001 bottles of 3F Oude Geuze. As great as those old vintages were, they were absolutely blown away by the incredible Armand'4 (which, according to Armand, should be pronounced in Flemish: Armand'vier, since vier sounds a lot like fier, "proud," and he is indeed proud of this beer).

I've simply never had a Geuze (or a sour beer of any kind, for that matter), that did such a breathtaking job blending funk, acidity, and oak. The complexity of this beer was absolutely off the charts, and every element was hugely enjoyable. I loved every sip, and can't wait to see how it ages. If it weren't so expensive to get to the US, I would have bought cases upon cases. This beer is truly one for the ages.

Cheers!

06-22-2011 01:10:15 | More by woosterbill
corby112

Huge thanks to callmemickey for busting this out as a surprise during our 3F Oude Gueuze vertical tasting. Thanks a lot Ryan!

Pours a hazy dark golden orange color with faint pale golden straw hues when held to a light and a massive frothy, soapy white head. Excellent retention, only slowly fading into a lasting cap. Huge chunks of soapy lace coat the glass.

Very funky, musty aroma with hints of cobweb, horsebalnket, old wood and earth/soil. Smells like an old barn, vegetal with hints of wet hay, damp basement, bugs, subtle lactic, vinegar and light/citrus fruits.

Fuller bodied than expected with a very tart, puckering mouthfeel. Acidic on the tongue yet still somehow remains soft and easy to drink. No solvent or harsh stomach burning character. Lots of earthy funk and a strong barrel presence. Musty with hints of wood, light fruit, zesty lemon citrus and a lingering acetic vinegary sweetness in the finish that leaves me drooling for more. Extremely complex, well balanced and immensely quaffable. An excellent blend, one of the best lambics I've ever had. I don't see any way in which it could be improved. This should age with the best of them. I would love to try it again in a decade or so.

06-16-2011 06:04:56 | More by corby112
Sean9689

4.45/5  rDev -6.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

We raided Jason's cellar and he was kind enough to break this one out. It's very much appreciated. Poured into Darkness tulip.

A - Pours a dark orange color, sticky lacing all along the sides of the glass, thick collar, nice cap. Very good-looking beer.

S - Barn, sour, nice tartness, slightly musty, hay. Solid in all aspects with room to improve from excellent to perfect, IMO.

T - Hay, straw, funk, tart/sour notes, citrus. Nicely balanced. Oak, apples, nice tart finish. For a new Gueuze, I'm very impressed!

M - Light, good carbonation, dry finish.

O - An impressive Gueuze, even for such a young beer. This one is blended wonderfully and I'm sure it's only going to improve from here on out. Def need to locate some of this stuff, as I don't have a single bottle in the cellar. Thanks Jason, for making me spend more money! Recommend!

06-15-2011 18:50:41 | More by Sean9689
olenka82

4.6/5  rDev -3.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Thanks to jrallen34 for this excellent bottle. the smell is awesome, funky and grassy. Color is a dark gold, and the head was lacing nicely on the glass. There was citrus and some floral notes, but mostly what i label as funky - an aged and acidic taste with slightly cheesy undertones. It was delicious, one of my favorite lambics i have had.

06-12-2011 05:57:10 | More by olenka82
jrallen34

4.78/5  rDev +0.4%

slight gusher, pours a very dark gold, almost like copper with a big bright white head, huge bubbles of head... aroma is nuts, smells unreal, like its at least 10 years old, funky horse blanket, just sick... taste is equally as sick, just tastes old, spider webs, horse blanket, hay... one of the best lambics, period. Competes with Loerik, enough said.

06-12-2011 04:39:19 | More by jrallen34
sisuspeed

New Hampshire

4.83/5  rDev +1.5%

Poured into a Drie Fonteinen tumbler. Cloudy, burnt-orange body. A thin, white, head maintains well on top, leaving light lacing behind.

The aroma is filled with floral orange citrus, wet hay and earthy, dry, pepper notes. A touch of apple with a hint of grape. This is a beautiful aroma. Light sweetness. I could smell this all day. Only second to Armand's '98 gueuze, but with another 10 years this could be on another level.

Dry orange wedge, wet hay and leather. Touch of spice. Crushed flower petal. Light oak and vanilla. Lovely earthy citrus throughout. The dry brett notes are already at a nice level for a young gueuze. This beer is drinking exceptionally well for the age. So good.

Mouthfeel is filled with good carbonation a medium level of sourness/acidity. Quite smooth. Goes down easy. Really easy. Slightly chewy.

Overall, this is a stunning gueuze from one of the best lambic brewers/blenders in the world. Armand'4 is already drinking amazingly well, like an aged gueuze. What probably amazes me the most is how much flavor and complexity is packed into the gueuze. Definitely worth seeking out. I can't wait to see how this one develops over the years. Beautiful.

06-11-2011 20:15:15 | More by sisuspeed
SpeedwayJim

4.38/5  rDev -8%

A huge thanks to me for this one. 4oz. pour from a corked and caged 750ml bottle into a Hill Farmstead snifter. Had at a tasting on 6/4/11. Reviewed from notes.

A: Standard pour yields a .25 creamy white head with good retention. Beer is a slightly cloudy goldenrod. Lacing is patchy and spotty with decent stick. Points lost for clarity. Otherwise very good looking beer.

S: Nose is big straw notes, hay, barnyard cheesiness, band-aid and lemon rind. Moderately aromatic but very appropriate.

T: Straw, hay, cheese, with a lemon crispness. Slightly tart citrus in the middle with some lemon, band-aid plastic, and cheesiness in the middle. End is straw, hay, and lemon juice. Sour apple rind in the finish and aftertaste. Very nice balance here with some huge potential for development.

M: Light to medium bodied with low to moderate carbonation. Oily and silky in the mouth and slightly oily and smooth going down. Finish is mellow with a slightly sticky aftertaste. Spot on for the style.

O: Its not very often that such a "young" gueuze is so impressive, but this is close to the top of the heap. A lot of potential down the road, this is worth picking up and cellaring even with the high price point.

06-05-2011 12:36:35 | More by SpeedwayJim
soulforpeanuts

Germany

Wow!
Opening a bottle to celebrate the birth of my 3rd child last night. Had this after a 2008 Cable Car, with an all too fresh Westy 12 in between.
A: Heavy level of bubbles like 8 years worth of flotsam and jetsam all at once. Lacing hangs on the glass like the tormented grasping to slow their fall to hell.
S: The only thing stopping perfection. After some ridiculous 2x IPA, its hard to score a 5 here. Pleasently smelss like a forest floor, as if Im a truffle dog, looking for . . .
T: Wow. Did I say that yet? The first little snifter is a 4x pucker. Im drinking it right this second actually. The malt backbone is like a strong root that explodes in your mouth,with branches of awesomeness branching off. Dont let anyone who wont appreciate this drink this.
M: The most chewy gueuze/ sour ever. Its like a BA stout in gravity. Its all over my cheeks and stays there.
O: The legs leave groups of spots on the glass like spots of a monstrous snow leopard. The gueuze ate the 08 Cable Car like it was a retarded rat on 3 legs bathed in barbecue sauce. Between the 08 Cable Car and the 4, it was like a beauty contest between Miranda Kerr and Roseanne Barr. Smell? Nothing beats fresh Pliny the Younger, but as good as a gueuze will ever get!

06-02-2011 23:31:12 | More by soulforpeanuts
tprokop7

I meant to hold on to this longer, but after seeing the reviews and forum posts I couldn't resist. Popped with jamie2dope, poured from the 750mL into Pretty Things wide chalices.

A - Medium amber, a little cloudy. Pours with some head that fades quickly to lace.

S - Acidic, wonderful complex funk. Slight cheese, apples, pears.

T - Slightly more sour than I expected from gueze, but the balance is amazing. Cheese from aroma is gone, apples come through with some cherries and apricot, and a little grass/earth. Complex funk in the background.

M - Bright, lively carbonation. No complaints. Dry.

O - I want more of this. There is nothing I can think of that I would consider changing. This gueze is sour, complex, and balanced. It may be the best sour beer I've ever been lucky enough to try. I can't want for the next three in the series.

06-02-2011 02:21:39 | More by tprokop7
rvdoorn

Netherlands

Picked this one up at the source during the Tour de Geuze together with Channan. Finally I had time to open this one.
Looks: Poured a straw color with a big white head.
Smell: funky, yeast, lemon and hay.
Taste: typical 3 fonteinen geuze, quite sour, earthy and woody flavors but with a bit more hop influence than geuze beers from other breweries, resulting in a pleasantly dry finish. All flavors come together in this one. As mentioned before, this beer is very well balanced.
Mouthfeel: medium carbonation, medium mouthfeel.
Overall: In advance, I was a bit skeptical about all the extremely positive reviews (I thought maybe the beer was hyped), but this geuze is truly the best I ever had. Fantastic!

06-01-2011 12:36:11 | More by rvdoorn
mikesgroove

South Carolina

not even sure how i lucked myself into this one, but some crazy sours have been filling up my life recently. this one was no exception

hazy golden, amber color with a wonderful two inches of white foam that coated the glass and just soaked everything around it. simply perfect look in my snifter.

Just the most grand, funkified, tart, sour, vinegar like smell you could come across, but in a good way. Rich and complex there seemed to literally be no end in sight for the depth of this one. funky sour when I noticed some light fruit maybe coming into play, this was like a fine wine almost in aroma, I mean just insanely good. I am almost speechless, but I had to eventually stop smelling it and actually try it and It was just wonderful. Started out with a full on assault of sour funk, that rolled through the mouth, sucking up and puckering anything that it came in contact with, but once it got past, it opened you up to a whole world of woody flavors that were hidden underneath. There was some light fruitiness of some sour, perhaps grapes, or green apples, that you could start to pick up as it rolled along, This was not entirely unbalanced, far from it. In fact I think if you do not let this one warm up a bit, you are really cheating yourself out of how good it could be.really starting to show hints of the barrel aging, with nice wood notes coming through and it really getting a nice earthy feel to it.

Overall I was simply blown away by this one. It was easily the top three best sour ale I have ever had, and easily one of the best beers I have ever had hands down. Cannot even imagine what the rest of this series is gonna be like

05-25-2011 03:14:18 | More by mikesgroove
callmemickey

4.9/5  rDev +2.9%

Shared with my wife, corby112, and sideshowe at our Drie Fonteinen tasting.

A: Quite possiblly the most beautiful looking gueuze. Clear golden-orange body. Capped by a massive off-white head that lasted nearly ten minutes and left chunks of lacing on the side of the glass. This would make even the most robust IPAs blush.

S: Pungent funk dominates. Imagine walking into an old cellar that hadn't been opened for weeks. Musty with wet hay. There is also some sharp lemon notes and pepper. Something else was here and I couldn't for the life of me identify the smell. It drove me crazy cause I couldn't wrap my head around whether it was an off flavor or just something totally unique. Ideally, I'd give this a 4.75, so a 4.5 will have to do.

T: The funk continues but is a bit more restrained. There is a nice interplay between the citric notes and the earthy-mineral complexion. Complexity is further enhanced with the peppery notes and a healthy dose of clean oak.

M: Effervescent with a nice medium to light bodied feel on the palate. Despite the funky, the finish is quite defined and dry. The acidity is jsut right.

O: An exceptional blend from Armand. I originally traded for two bottles, but after sharing this with me, my wife green-lighted a purchase of two more. Lucky me!

05-18-2011 13:52:30 | More by callmemickey
largadeer

4.9/5  rDev +2.9%

Thanks to westcoastbeerlvr for sharing this great beer.

Beautifully effervescent, sunset-hued with slight haziness. The lasting head leaves webbed lacing.

Herbal, grassy, earthy aroma, a lot of oak on this one. Acidic fruit and mushrooms, pine, little bit of mint. Vibrant and complex for a fresh gueuze, and I can see it improving.

Pretty spectacular palate on this one. Herbal, earthy, lemon fruitiness, grass/soil. Very earthy and oaky. Great balance of sourness and tannin. This shows a ton of depth for a young gueuze. Extremely dry, nice mushroom-y/earthy finish. Big lingering oak character. Sourness is moderate, very lactic and clean. Absolutely awesome, this rivals some of the greats.

05-16-2011 23:27:23 | More by largadeer
alcstradamus

Washington

11/11/11/ EDIT: Cracked a third bottle tonight and what I drank was not a perfect five. Noticed more vinegar notes this time which threw off the balance a bit. I would probably give it a 4.5 score. Not changing my review score yet though until I have a fourth bottle.

6/12/11 EDIT: Cracked a second bottle of this last night to see if I felt the same way about it the second time. Turns out I do. This is just an incredibly balanced, flavorful, and perfect gueuze. I am changing my score to a perfect 5 because it is everything I look for in a beer

5/16/11 ORIGINAL REVIEW:
Pours with a huge 3 finger head that leaves thick sheets of lacing

The aroma is powerful and starts of with a peppery biscuit note and some lemon and orange peel. Very earthy and dusty as well. Typical classic gueuze aroma.

The flavor is amazingly clean, breathtaking really. Peppery and lemon up front, followed by a clean orange peel and earthy finish. Very soft on the palate yet still lively. The finish is earthy and juicy, then a dryness sweeps over the palate leaving a mouth sucking oakiness in its wake. This reminds me of the best batches of 3 Fonteinen Geuze blended with the cleanliness of the best batches of Girardin Black Label.

The carbonation is very high but remains soft. Exactly what a gueuze should feel like as far as I'm concerned.

Overall I have nothing bad to say about this beer whatsoever, it is easily one of the top 2-3 bottles of gueuze I have ever drank, maybe even #1 (impossible to tell without a side-by-side which can never happen). I would probably score it a perfect 5 if it wasn't for the fact that I refuse to rate something a 5 without having it at least twice.

05-16-2011 00:16:10 | More by alcstradamus
nickd717

4.75/5  rDev -0.2%

Thanks to Craig for this amazing Belgian tick.

Hazy orangish golden color with a well formed whitish head that lasts.

Huge funky nose on this beer, as Arne and Mike said, "forest floor" which is right on. Absolutely phenomenal with mushroom and barnyard funk.

The flavor is great too; funky and tasty with just the right amount of sweet malt and phenomenal tart and funky flavor. This is incredible.

The mouthfeel kills too, medium acidity and a perfect carbonation level.

Just a ridiculous beer, really one of the best I’ve had in this style.

05-09-2011 17:52:04 | More by nickd717
fewa

4.95/5  rDev +4%

Thanks to my brother for surprising me with this magnificent bottle I found on the table when I came home from my holiday. Finally I can try the last ever brewed geuze in 3 fonteinen brewery. The bottle comes in a classy bottle bag, the bottle itself art, a kind of exclusive champagne like shape.
The beer pours a golden-straw color with a beautiful white head, which was long lasting for the style leaving a nice lacing. The smell is very funky up front, some brett and hay notes, followed by an explosion of horse blanket, citrus fruits, flowers, some bitterness, leather and earthy oak.
Taste is slightly more sour than the average geuze, as can be expected from a 3 fonteinen geuze. Next to the perfectly balanced sourness, this beer is dry and tart with some spicy bitterness in the finish. When the beer warm up, nice notes of citrus, apple and other fresh fruits appear. This beer is amazing.
Overall this is a masterpiece, I cannot remember ever drinking a geuze that was just released and already is so incredibly complex and balanced. I can only imagine what can happen over time. A true classic already!

05-02-2011 10:57:10 | More by fewa