Drie Fonteinen Oude Geuze Golden Blend - Brouwerij Drie Fonteinen

Drie Fonteinen Oude Geuze Golden BlendDrie Fonteinen Oude Geuze Golden Blend

Brouwerij Drie Fonteinen visit their website

Gueuze |  6.00% ABV

Beer added by: rvdoorn on 03-14-2012

The Golden Blend is made with 4 year old Lambic that accounts for 25 % of it’s contents, the rest of the blend is made up by a "secret" combination of 1, 2 and 3 year old Lambic.

The exact mixture is only known by the master-blender Armand himself.

The name "Golden Blend" is not far away from the truth, in fact, the 4 years of maturation in oak-wooden barrels is making this particular Lambic very expensive.

Due to the "evaporation" through the barrels, only a small percentage of the lambic is left over after 4 years of maturing.

February 17, 2011 bottling date. I found this at a liquor store in Los Angeles.

I'm impressed by how sweet and fruity the cork smells as I pry it out of the bottle. That's always a good sign.

I pour the beer into a teku glass and it produces a fizzy head (and accompanying sound) that quickly dissipates. But what remains is a gorgeous brew with a peach color and an opacity that suggests the beer is thicker than the fizz would suggest. 5

I can't escape the burgeoning fruitiness that this beer smells of, even from a distance I can smell slightly funky cranberry, raspberry and other fresh fruit. It's subtly earthy and faintly reminiscent of cider. I feel there's more than this than I can accurately describe, but it smells incredibly and seems to have no flaws. 5

Cranberries, tart cherry, raspberry. So many tart fruits seem to be in the mix here. These give way to a lemony citric flavor and some earthy funk. I find myself again searching for a flaw in the flavors here, but this beer is impeccable. 5

I love the balance of funk, tartness, and subtle citric acid achieved with this beer. It's incredibly refreshing, light, light-to-moderately carbonated and the semi-dry finish is as pleasant as any beer comes. Flawless. 5

Do I need to tell you this is a 5? It's flawless. Impeccable. Delicious.

Drank from a 12.7 fl oz corked and caged bottle purchased at Liquor World, Cambridge, MA
Bottling Date 2011/02/17
Served in a Drie Fonteinen lambic tumbler

After loosening the cage, the cork instantly popped out of the bottle. Fortunately, none of the beer itself followed. With a slow steady pour, the gorgeous, crystal clear, orangey amber liquid become smothered by a billowing, five-finger tall, bubbly, ecru colored crown that nearly spilled over the top of the glass. The head faded to a thick, crackly plume. Bubbly chunks of lacing coated the glass.

An intense musty, woodsiness dominated in the aroma. Remarkably complex and intense. Loads of barnyard and leather. Super musty and funky. The extensive barrel aging contributed an intensely oaky and tannic dryness. There was a super crisp, dry, powdery yeastiness.

The flavor profile was similar to the aroma and just as exceptional. Amazingly oaky and dry. Super musty and leathery. Uber bright and lemony in the center. Aged, earthy hop notes were quite apparent on the finish. Bitter lemon peel lingered after the swallow. As I drank the beer, I could feel the enamel being stripped from my teeth. Strangely enough, the actual flavor of the beer was not overly acidic.

The mouthfeel was perhaps the most effervescent I have ever experienced in a beer. It was super light and effervescent. Incredibly Champagne-like. Uber frothy and fluffy on the palate.

Up until now, Drie Fonteinen's Lente was unquestionably the best Geuze I have ever sampled. Oude Geuze Golden Blend reminds me a lot of that beer, except that it was even more interesting and intense. $29 for a 375 ml bottle is a tremendous amount money to pay for a beer but, in this case, it was worth event cent. This was truly one of the greatest beers I have ever come across.

Bought a bottle of this during my first visit to Sergio's World Beer in Louisville, KY. Poured into Sergio's personal Drie Fonteinen glass.

A: Beautiful golden straw color. Nice 1/4 inch head. Mouth is watering just looking at it.

S: Amazing lemon, funk, cob web scent. Simply perfect for a geuze. I wish my deoderant smelled like this!

T: What can I say...brilliant! Sharp acidity, beautiful funky lemon flavor. Absolutely the best geuze I've ever tasted. Well worth the price tag.

D: A pure sipper, but I could down this easily. I am trying to restrain myself and take my time.

M: Exactly what one would expect. Perfect.

Not much else to say about this gem. Absolutely a treat. I wish I could drink this every damn day. Fuckin Armand, you genius!!

Drie Fonteinen Oude Geuze Golden Blend from Brouwerij Drie Fonteinen