Drie Fonteinen Oude Geuze Golden Blend - Brouwerij Drie Fonteinen

Drie Fonteinen Oude Geuze Golden BlendDrie Fonteinen Oude Geuze Golden Blend

Brouwerij Drie Fonteinen visit their website

Gueuze |  6.00% ABV

The Golden Blend is made with 4 year old Lambic that accounts for 25 % of it’s contents, the rest of the blend is made up by a "secret" combination of 1, 2 and 3 year old Lambic.

The exact mixture is only known by the master-blender Armand himself.

The name "Golden Blend" is not far away from the truth, in fact, the 4 years of maturation in oak-wooden barrels is making this particular Lambic very expensive.

Due to the "evaporation" through the barrels, only a small percentage of the lambic is left over after 4 years of maturing.

(Beer added by: rvdoorn on 03-14-2012)

February 17, 2011 bottling date. I found this at a liquor store in Los Angeles.

I'm impressed by how sweet and fruity the cork smells as I pry it out of the bottle. That's always a good sign.

I pour the beer into a teku glass and it produces a fizzy head (and accompanying sound) that quickly dissipates. But what remains is a gorgeous brew with a peach color and an opacity that suggests the beer is thicker than the fizz would suggest. 5

I can't escape the burgeoning fruitiness that this beer smells of, even from a distance I can smell slightly funky cranberry, raspberry and other fresh fruit. It's subtly earthy and faintly reminiscent of cider. I feel there's more than this than I can accurately describe, but it smells incredibly and seems to have no flaws. 5

Cranberries, tart cherry, raspberry. So many tart fruits seem to be in the mix here. These give way to a lemony citric flavor and some earthy funk. I find myself again searching for a flaw in the flavors here, but this beer is impeccable. 5

I love the balance of funk, tartness, and subtle citric acid achieved with this beer. It's incredibly refreshing, light, light-to-moderately carbonated and the semi-dry finish is as pleasant as any beer comes. Flawless. 5

Do I need to tell you this is a 5? It's flawless. Impeccable. Delicious.

Bought a bottle of this during my first visit to Sergio's World Beer in Louisville, KY. Poured into Sergio's personal Drie Fonteinen glass.

A: Beautiful golden straw color. Nice 1/4 inch head. Mouth is watering just looking at it.

S: Amazing lemon, funk, cob web scent. Simply perfect for a geuze. I wish my deoderant smelled like this!

T: What can I say...brilliant! Sharp acidity, beautiful funky lemon flavor. Absolutely the best geuze I've ever tasted. Well worth the price tag.

D: A pure sipper, but I could down this easily. I am trying to restrain myself and take my time.

M: Exactly what one would expect. Perfect.

Not much else to say about this gem. Absolutely a treat. I wish I could drink this every damn day. Fuckin Armand, you genius!!

Drie Fonteinen Oude Geuze Golden Blend from Brouwerij Drie Fonteinen