Drie Fonteinen Oude Geuze Golden Blend - Brouwerij Drie Fonteinen

Drie Fonteinen Oude Geuze Golden BlendDrie Fonteinen Oude Geuze Golden Blend

Brouwerij Drie Fonteinen visit their website

Gueuze |  6.00% ABV

Beer added by: rvdoorn on 03-14-2012

The Golden Blend is made with 4 year old Lambic that accounts for 25 % of it’s contents, the rest of the blend is made up by a "secret" combination of 1, 2 and 3 year old Lambic.

The exact mixture is only known by the master-blender Armand himself.

The name "Golden Blend" is not far away from the truth, in fact, the 4 years of maturation in oak-wooden barrels is making this particular Lambic very expensive.

Due to the "evaporation" through the barrels, only a small percentage of the lambic is left over after 4 years of maturing.
to view all ratings, reviews and sorting options.
Ratings: 649 | Reviews: 157

February 17, 2011 bottling date. I found this at a liquor store in Los Angeles.

I'm impressed by how sweet and fruity the cork smells as I pry it out of the bottle. That's always a good sign.

I pour the beer into a teku glass and it produces a fizzy head (and accompanying sound) that quickly dissipates. But what remains is a gorgeous brew with a peach color and an opacity that suggests the beer is thicker than the fizz would suggest. 5

I can't escape the burgeoning fruitiness that this beer smells of, even from a distance I can smell slightly funky cranberry, raspberry and other fresh fruit. It's subtly earthy and faintly reminiscent of cider. I feel there's more than this than I can accurately describe, but it smells incredibly and seems to have no flaws. 5

Cranberries, tart cherry, raspberry. So many tart fruits seem to be in the mix here. These give way to a lemony citric flavor and some earthy funk. I find myself again searching for a flaw in the flavors here, but this beer is impeccable. 5

I love the balance of funk, tartness, and subtle citric acid achieved with this beer. It's incredibly refreshing, light, light-to-moderately carbonated and the semi-dry finish is as pleasant as any beer comes. Flawless. 5

Do I need to tell you this is a 5? It's flawless. Impeccable. Delicious.

Drank from a 12.7 fl oz corked and caged bottle purchased at Liquor World, Cambridge, MA
Bottling Date 2011/02/17
Served in a Drie Fonteinen geuze tumbler

After loosening the cage, the cork instantly popped out of the bottle. Fortunately, none of the beer followed. With a slow and steady pour, the gorgeous, crystal clear, orangey-amber liquid became smothered by a billowing, five-finger tall, ecru colored crown that nearly spilled over the top of the glass. The head slowly faded to a thick, crackly plume. Bubbly chunks of lacing coated the glass.

An intense musty, woodsiness dominated the aroma. Loads of barnyard and leather. Super funky. Definitely some mineral character. The extensive barrel aging contributed strong oaky notes. There was an ultra crisp, powdery and dry yeastiness as well. Overall, remarkably interesting and complex.

The flavor profile was very similar to the aroma and just as impressive. Amazingly musty and leathery with intense barnyard notes. Super oaky and tannic. Bone dry. Uber bright and lemony in the center. Bitter lemon peel and aged, earthy hop notes were quite apparent in the finish and lingered long after the swallow. By the drink's end, I could feel the enamel being stripped from my teeth. That said, the actual flavor of the beer was somehow not overly acidic.

The mouthfeel was interesting and ideal for the style. It was super light and highly effervescent. Almost Champagne-like. Amazingly frothy and fluffy on the palate.

Up until this point, Drie Fonteinen's Lente was definitely the best geuze I ever sampled. Oude Geuze Golden Blend reminded me a lot of that beer, except that everything about this was even more intense. Twenty nine dollars is a tremendous amount money to pay for a 375 ml bottle but, in this case, it was worth event cent. This was truly one of the greatest beers I have ever come across.

Bought a bottle of this during my first visit to Sergio's World Beer in Louisville, KY. Poured into Sergio's personal Drie Fonteinen glass.

A: Beautiful golden straw color. Nice 1/4 inch head. Mouth is watering just looking at it.

S: Amazing lemon, funk, cob web scent. Simply perfect for a geuze. I wish my deoderant smelled like this!

T: What can I say...brilliant! Sharp acidity, beautiful funky lemon flavor. Absolutely the best geuze I've ever tasted. Well worth the price tag.

D: A pure sipper, but I could down this easily. I am trying to restrain myself and take my time.

M: Exactly what one would expect. Perfect.

Not much else to say about this gem. Absolutely a treat. I wish I could drink this every damn day. Fuckin Armand, you genius!!

to view all ratings, reviews and sorting options.
Drie Fonteinen Oude Geuze Golden Blend from Brouwerij Drie Fonteinen