2. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Drie Fonteinen Framboos - Brouwerij Drie Fonteinen

Drie Fonteinen FramboosDrie Fonteinen Framboos

Brouwerij Drie Fonteinen visit their website

Lambic - Fruit |  5.00% ABV

(Beer added by: TheLongBeachBum on 03-02-2003)
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Reviewers
Ratings: 160 | Reviews: 52 | Show All Ratings:
kermis

Netherlands

4.94/5  rDev +10%

Bottle shared at the epic sour sourpuss tasting (thanks to trade with gEUS). Pours a murky red brown with a small pinkish head. Massive raspberries coming straight out in the aroma along with barnyard. I don’t just mean barnyard like a lot of sours have barnyard, I mean absolutely full on, I really am down the farm (with raspberries) barnyard. Manure, hay, jam, earth, horse blanket. Flavor is light to moderate sweet and moderate acidic. Some lemon citrus aspects lingering in the palate in the long dry finish. Full bodied with soft carbonation. Yes this is excellent. Really good.

01-09-2014 21:52:01 | More by kermis
cfrances33

4.45/5  rDev -0.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Bottle poured into a wine stem. Enjoyed 12/7/2013.

Pour is a deep magenta with a wispy pink head, which recedes to a rim. Some effervescence. Smell is bright, juicy raspberries, cobwebs and funky blue cheese. Quite jammy. Huge raspberry profile carries over to the taste, with an additional increase in the level of cheesy funk. Quite sour. A bit of lactic creaminess, and a touch of oak on the finish. Very drinkable, despite being more sour than I expected. A top notch lambic for sure, but I think some additional time will do this well.

12-28-2013 14:58:09 | More by cfrances33
mikecharley

4.89/5  rDev +8.9%

Bottle courtesy of the ever gracious HenrikO. A million thanks for the trade over the past summer.

Shared with family and friends to celebrate my MBA graduation.

When opened, the bottle could be smelled from 3 feet away. Just super fresh and funky raspberries. Pours a mostly clear purple/dark red. Great looking beer. The head is minimal, but there is some carbonation in there.

Smell is the best aroma on Any beer I've ever experienced. Jammy is the right descriptor, with a bit of butteriness that fits just right with the berries. This is seriously like smelling a handful of macerated berries, just glorious. Funk level is very high, with some oakiness and cheese lingering. Acidity is there, but not overbearing. Just wonderful. I wish I could rate this as a 6 in the smell department.

Taste follows the nose, but the cheese and funk is very prominent. The jammy raspberries are akin to eating the freshest and best raspberries you can imagine, only concentrated. The funk level is extreme as it warms, but I like it. Some in the group thought this was a detraction, but I'm not sure I agree.

Mouthfeel is full, with just the right amount of moderate carbonation. Not too prickly, but just enough to keep the liquid dancing on the tongue. Great

Overall, this is probably the best beer I've ever had. Completely lived up to the hype, and then some. Would love to see how it is doing in another 5 years, as I believe it has legs, but I doubt I will ever cross paths with this one again. Seek this out.

12-25-2013 19:44:19 | More by mikecharley
leighton

United Kingdom (England)

4.55/5  rDev +1.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Bottle shared in NH. Pours rich purple with a creamy, light pink head. Heavy tart raspberry nose. Flavor is well and tart, with deep raspberry, faint funk, light dryness, hints of wood and grass, a few earthy touches. Light to medium in body with fine carbonation. Good, biting sour finish, a bit of funk, rich raspberry notes. Superb, delicious beer. Extremely refreshing.

11-19-2013 00:32:44 | More by leighton
macrosmatic

4.4/5  rDev -2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

Many thanks to Sc0pey for going out of his way to share this with me, albeit in a non-traditional way. Reviewed from notes.

A: Pours a deep magenta to almost blood red. Hazy with some bubbles of carbonation.

S: Funky, raspberries, fruity tartness and lactic sour.

T: Follows the nose – quite tart and funky, juicy raspberries, some barnyard and a touch of woody dryness. Lactic sourness puckers the mouth. An impression of sour cherries in the hang, and is quite dry.

M: Medium to light body, decent carbonation sensation, and a touch of alcohol warmth.

O: Very very good, even with only a small sampling. I don't know whether I'll ever have an opportunity to try this another time - but I'll be very excited if I do.

07-01-2013 22:49:26 | More by macrosmatic
gueuzedreg

Colorado

4.6/5  rDev +2.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.5

2011 bottle into Crooked Stave snifter enjoyed side-by-side with Hommage.

A- Really dark framboise color. Minimal-medium lacing for this kind of beer. I really thought this beer was going to be thinner, but it is pretty thick.

S- Deep rich raspberry, barnyard funk, yeast. Pretty much what you would expect from a 3F beer as far as funk.

T- Dangerously drinkable. There is a minimal milkshake consistency that helps this one down the throat. It first tastes of sugary raspberries that transform into sour raspberries. Very enjoyable and complex in that aspect. I am getting predictable 3F funk toward transition from sweet to tart.

M- This is where the beer shines for me. The mouthfeel is a perfect 5. Perfectly carbonated; almost minimal milkshake framboise as previously stated. Glorius.

O- I gave up a lot to try this brew. It lived up to my standards and more. From what I have heard; Hommage makes Framboos look like child's play. I imagine this statement was exaggerated. I need to try LPF too.

05-24-2013 15:42:44 | More by gueuzedreg
Greenplastic615

4.7/5  rDev +4.7%
look: 4.25 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Bottle (2011 vintage) split four ways, poured into a stem wine glass. Review probably biased positive, given that my thought while having this was 'holy s#!% I'm actually drinking Framboos'.

A - Deep, deep red with a minimal head that quickly settled.

S - Whoa. Raspberries for days. This is maybe the best smelling lambic I've ever had the pleasure of having. Behind the huge raspberry nose, there's some serious tartness and funk. I didn't even have to hold the glass up to my nose to smell this; the aroma just pops and you can get the smell from a foot or two away. Really awesome.

T - Tart raspberries, moderate to light funk, then some more tart raspberry before finishing with some lactic acidity and sour bite. I expected a degree of sweetness in the taste and I really didn't find it. All the sugar must've gotten eaten up by the bugs and converted into dry, tannic, fruity sourness. Yummy.

M - Moderate carbonation with a super dry finish. I really like super-dry sours, and this definitely was one.

O - Very, very good, and definitely lived up to the hype, but not so vastly better than a similarly aged Cantillon LP Framboise that it's worth giving up the farm for. I'm quite happy I was able to try this, but it's not something I'll be seeking out a repeat bottle of, given the cost of acquisition.

03-26-2013 19:55:57 | More by Greenplastic615
rodkin

Missouri

4.65/5  rDev +3.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

Honestly didn't ever think I'd try this. Very lucky to get a bottle at Tørst in New York.

Appearance is a deep reddish pink, minimal head and lacing, slight carbonation.

Smell is huge raspberry jam, tart raspberry, lemon, apple, oak, slight musty funk. Super fruity, great mix of sweet and sour.

Taste is raspberry, oak, lemon, tart apple, wet hay, slight sweetness. Slight puckering tartness, very fruity, but balanced and tart, with moderate funk.

Mouthfeel was very dry, light, tannic, well carbonated.

A really exceptional experience, one I feel lucky to have had. A stunning beer.

03-15-2013 06:06:27 | More by rodkin
WillCarrera

4.84/5  rDev +7.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 5

500th review! Hooray! 750 ml bottle, bottled on 2011/05/31. Steve (slander) was very, very generous to split this with me at Tørst. Served in a wine glass.

A- Pours a slightly hazy pinkish raspberry color, produces a thin bubbly white head that lingers around the edge of the glass.

S- The aroma is really amazing, as soon as the bottle opened you could smell it from several feet away. The raspberry notes are great, very juicy and fresh but also with some dryer raspberry skin. The fruit is very prominent but beneath it is a nice oak and sweet vanilla character, as well as lactic acidity and a nice damp, earthy funk.

T- Very tart with a nice lactic acidity and mild hints of acetic. The raspberry flavor is huge and has a nice mix of skin and juicy flesh. Beneath this there's a nice earthy funkiness and oak and vanilla flavors.

M- Medium-bodied, moderate to low carbonation, which works very well actually, the feel is bone dry with a nice tannic feel.

O- This is a really wonderful beer, the flavors are delicious and very complex, it's just damn impressive. Easily amongst the best fruit lambics I've tasted. Now if only I had a few cases of this...

03-12-2013 17:03:41 | More by WillCarrera
KickInTheChalice

4.7/5  rDev +4.7%

Poured from a 750 mL caged and corked bottle into a tulip. 2011 vintage. From notes.

Moderately bright, the raspberry brown color has a wispy, off-white cap. This is not heavily carbonated.

The nose is full of juicy ripe raspberries, with a very sour aroma overall. The fruit is just explosive; it smells mostly lactic in nature, and there is not much funk in the nose, probably due to the young age of the beer.

With the first sip my tongue is greeted with the soft, sweetness of ripe summer raspberries. With each passing millisecond, though, the flavor becomes more and more sour, peaking right at the end of the sip. The fruit clearly dominates the flavor, ahead of the funky lambic notes. The sour notes are mostly lactic tartness, although there is some acetic vinegar to it as well.

The early sweetness creates a slightly fuller than medium body, but the light bubbly carbonation and the sour acidity as the sip progresses drag the body to the middle of the spectrum in terms of lambics. The lactic acidity and light tannins create a dry sensation as well.

This is simply an incredible raspberry sour, which I have soft spot for anyway. With more time in the bottle, I am sure some of the fruit will give way to more of the trademark Drie Fonteinen funk. It will be tough for it to improve on how much I like it now, but it should mellow out for sure.

01-30-2013 00:21:07 | More by KickInTheChalice
Kegatron

4.26/5  rDev -5.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

2011 750ml bottle into a few glasses. MASSIVE thanks go to Stakem for sharing this with us. It’s definitely one of those beers that I never thought I’d get to try. Deep ruby with a thin head of light pink foam. Robust and soapy look that stays very strong. Smells of straight up strawberry jam or some other juicy berry flavors. Some shaper acidity and funky notes burn the edges of the nose a bit. Jam and funk, what a combo. Taste has like a tart rhubard thing going on with some backing sugars. Funky sourness on the edges with a dry oaky finish. Medium bodied with some initial sharpness and a softer bubbly feel that fills out the rest. Not hugely complex but balanced, crisp and very drinkable. Thanks again Adam!

01-23-2013 15:23:43 | More by Kegatron
hooliganlife

Missouri

3.9/5  rDev -13.1%

first, HUGE thanks to Blake for busting this out.

pour was a light red, hit of pink. little head.

very raspberry forward on the nose, sour, lemon rind and oak. not overly complex by any means but it is what it is.

raspberry forward flavor, not much jam as others have mentioned. more of a rubber and or plastic blend. oak was very faint, too faint. with fonteinen, i usually expect a nice oak presence and it was missing. nice sourness, light acidic character.

light, mild to moderate carbonation. not overly puckering.

for the cost, value, etc... i found this lacking. hoping time takes this to another level like the '99. good but not really worth the whale hunt.

12-27-2012 14:29:52 | More by hooliganlife
Luk13

Quebec (Canada)

2.7/5  rDev -39.9%

Bottle 2011 version. Side-by-side with 2007 Hommage. Dark murky red, almost purple highlights and no head. Not necessarily inviting. Aroma is rotten raspberry, some rubber, very earthy. Taste is better with tart raspberry. The acidity is still quite tamed which makes it drinkable. Light and flat palate. I prefered Hommage as their was less of rotten raspberry and cherries added a nice twist. I really had a hard time drinking my pour, maybe it was a bad bottle but my tasting friends liked their glass so old raspberries might no be my style.

10-28-2012 17:04:38 | More by Luk13
Samichlaus82

Germany

4.75/5  rDev +5.8%

1999 Vintage. Pours a cloudy red with a very minimal head that collars around the glass rim. Raspberry nose to be expected but the raspberry is a little more muted than I anticipated. Some wood notes as well and funk. Tart and sweet raspberry, caramel, with a nice building level of sourness. Very nice. Medium mouthfeel. A little under carbed and I think more carbonation would benefit this beer. Overall, very good. 3F please make more.

10-24-2012 10:09:28 | More by Samichlaus82
tendermorsel

3.53/5  rDev -21.4%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Thanks to a friend/mainiac for letting me pour a bottle of this.

New batch.

I was really looking forward to this as the 1999 was/is a monster whale I have always wanted to try. Kinda disappointed with this one.

Great red color. Very spritzy with minimal head.

Not particularly well balanced. Very acidic. It kinda burned the back of my throat a bit. Some rasberry flavors but not a ton. Minimal funk almost all sour. So sour that it was kinda tough to drink a lot. Maybe this needs to develop in the bottle a bit?

This was good but far from great. I would take an LP Framb or a Rose d G over this one dispite the rarity. Glad I got to try this but not one I would trade my cellar for.

10-23-2012 15:08:58 | More by tendermorsel
Urbancaver

4.68/5  rDev +4.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Pours a murky brownish red. Not much head... Looks pretty good
Smells very tart... Lots of raspberries on the nose
Tastes phenomenal. Tart raspberries. Tons of flavor. The sourness is very well integrated.
Solid carbonation. Good mouthfeel. Overall a great beer. 1999 was better than 2011 but both are very solid.

10-16-2012 23:21:59 | More by Urbancaver
stakem

4.6/5  rDev +2.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

Ive had this in my fridge since a short time after the sour and bitter fest where it was acquired and sent to me by a very generous trader. Poured from a 750ml into a matching 3F stemmed glass. The brew appears a murky deep ruby to purple color with a lighter hint of orange around the edges. A white cap sits atop that is lightly stained pink and rapidly fizzels away to a fine film of a few bubbles that remain atop from rising bubbles of carbonation. Some spotty lace sticks to the glass.

The smell of this brew is more fruity and raspberry filled than I ever could have imagined. It reminds me of raspberry jam, very thick and juicy with an exceptional bright and natural scent. It sits in the nose and just makes me salivate. There are underlying notes of earth and a seedy quality you would expect from the raspberry pits. The funk of the base brew is evident with a minir contrasting note of something along the lines of plastic.

The taste of this brew is pretty harsh and I mean that in a good way. Its a real mind bender when you smell how fresh and juicy this is, you almost expext it to taste sticky and sweet like jam but instead its very sour. Sour from the natural tartness of the raspberry coupled with a bacterial sourness that has some earthen elements. More sips reveal a bit of citrus charcter along with the previously described notes of plastic that were noticed in the aroma. Mid palate a bit of yogurt tartness and mild lemony lacto tang are evident. The aftertaste of this brew is earthen with a natural seedy quality from the raspberry.

This is a medium to light bodied brew with a moderate to effervescent level of carbonation. It is super drinkable with zero alcohol impact. A super solid jam-like fresh raspberry inclusion jumps out and is very enjoyable mixed with afterthoughts of funk and earth. This brew flirts with perfection as it captures everything I look for in a fruited lambic. My only gripe being the plastic that emerged from this didnt blend into the entire experience quite like I wish it would have. Regardless this was a wonderful treat and something id love to have again. It hurts knowing how rare this bugger is.

10-03-2012 13:34:59 | More by stakem
scottfrie

4.48/5  rDev -0.2%

A huge thank you cpferris. Bottled 5/31/11. Snifter, reviewed from notes.

A: Pours a murky deep rusty red with no head and no lace. Awesome color though.
S: Pure raspberry puree nose with a slight bit of funk. Extremely strong and fruit forward. Hints of barnyard.
T: Raspberry puree again, super fresh and fruity, surprisingly good tartness, no sour, with a good dose of funk. The raspberries are extremely fresh. Tastes like I’m eating whole berries off a dirty barnyard floor.
M: Tart and super dry, medium body, slick and low carbonation.
O: The best in its class for a raspberry fruit beer. A great lambic too, but not the best, or my favorite. That’s not to say this isn’t an awesome awesome beer. I would drink this everyday. Thanks for the treat Chad.

09-12-2012 19:25:14 | More by scottfrie
Tnudish

Wisconsin

4.58/5  rDev +2%

Review taken from old notes from earlier this summer. 2010 bottling open by Jason at Epic Tres, thanks Jason! Poured into my Jackie O’s snifter.

A-Framboos pours almost a fluorescent red in color and transparent in clarity. Not much head on the pour, but this might be a result of the glassware I selected.

S-Nose is packed full of jammy raspberry goodness. It dominates the beer, it’s fantastic. There isn’t really any 3F funk, but it’ll come in time.

T-Taste is dominated by raspberry as well, but there is a little more underlying funk present here.

M-The mouthfeel is light, albeit almost a little oily? Light acidity, gentle carbonation, and has a nice, long finish.

O-Incredible fruit lambic that will age gracefully for many years. Is there anything Armand can’t do?

Note: A couple months after this review, I tried Framboos side by side with Hommage and was surprised how tart the raspberries were in Framboos. I didnt notice it as much when I had it on it's own, but they were puckeringly tart when I tried it again. I can't wait to see how it balances out with the funkiness in a couple years.

09-07-2012 14:46:20 | More by Tnudish
tarheels86

4.53/5  rDev +0.9%

750mL 2011 ed thanks to Travlr and The Kernel crew at Sour&Bitter. A full haze deep pink to purple with low bubbles and very little fizz or head. Nose is very similar to young 3F Hommage: big phenols, plastic, instense Sharbeekse kriek cherry pit and dark cherry phenols. Taste is lactic, some mallic/tartartic sweet tart zippiness, long citric acid finish. Big sour warhead taste. Aggressive. Drying finish. Lacks a lot of the 3F complexities like grapefruit and leather. Not really seedy raspberry forward like LP Framboise. More citric and phenol bomb at this point. Definitely needs age like the Hommage. 5/14/2012 7/4/8/4/15=3.8

750mL 1993 ed thanks to forgetfu. Pours a hazy orange amber with small pink foam that subsides. Much less vibrant in color compared to the 2011 batch. Nose instead of seedy raspberry is more jammy raspberry with cherry/rhubarb pie, vanilla, rich dessert profile. Taste is bracingly citric sour with mega lime juice acid. Finishes bone dry. Soft carbonation. Very juicy with a long, leathery palate. No acetic acid. Not really even lactic/yogurty. Just very bright and and fresh. Unbelievable that this is from 1993. Very drinkable. Demands to be drunk in large gulps. Unfortunately, each gulp will cost you $100 so better take out a second mortgage. Very delicious. One of my favorite beer experiences ever. 6/9/2012 9/4/9/5/18=4.5

09-06-2012 20:19:02 | More by tarheels86
jethrodium

4.45/5  rDev -0.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

750 ml bottle shared by cpferris. 2011 version. Big thanks to Chad. Pours a dark reddish amber with a small white head that settles pretty quickly and leaves close to no lacing on the glass. The aroma is tons of raspberry. It's bursting with fruit. There is also a bit of funk and a mushroom note as well as a faint, slightly unpleasant medicinal note, and some strawberry jam. The taste is tart and dry. Lots of raspberry, just like the nose. There is also a light funky earthiness, a bit of strawberry jam, and a little cherry. The finish is dry and tart with a bit of funk and lots of lingering raspberry. Medium body. Low-medium carbonation. This is great right now. I'll be curious to see how it ages if I get the opportunity to try it again.

08-30-2012 21:24:47 | More by jethrodium
illidurit

4.55/5  rDev +1.3%

Bottle shared at Blue Palms during RBSG 2012. Thanks to Dak for letting me have a sip off his glass after I got snubbed on a pour of my own (not cool enough I guess). Pours a hazy deep berry purple color. Striking fresh raspberry aroma, lactic yogurty, lemon, currant. Vibrant raspberry flavor, as potent as any raspberry beer I’ve had, while maintaining a great balance between lactic and acetic sourness, also melding the fruity sweetness with the firm sourness brilliantly. A lovely beer.

08-16-2012 05:49:49 | More by illidurit
JohnnyBarman

Ontario (Canada)

4.43/5  rDev -1.3%

Tall bottle brought back across the pond courtesy of Jeffo - cheers man! Enjoyed at a tasting, alongside two other raspberry lambics for comparison.

Poured into a snifter. Soft cherry in colour, quite hazy, and with a thin head that recedes into a fine ring. Nice looking brew - colour looks genuine.

Great nose on this, with the tart raspberries stealing the show all the way. A bit of funk and musk kicking around in there as well, but really this is all raspberry and I thank them for it.

Great tart lambic, with a good balance between tart raspberry and traditional sour notes, funk, musk and citrus. This brew sits at about my upper threshold of sourness (at least for now; I'm certainly improving in this regard), so this would have to be a brew that I would share with friends when the mood hits me just right. Fortunately, this was one of those times, and so the balance of this brew really did it for me. Carbonation is firm, but not overpowering. Lingering astringent finish.

Were it not for its rareness I would certainly keep one kicking around the cellar as an exemplar fo the style. Great brew.

08-13-2012 21:07:51 | More by JohnnyBarman
womencantsail

3.75/5  rDev -16.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4

Thanks, Chris!

Pours a cloudy reddish color with a light pink head. Smells of raspberry, leather, red wine vinegar, and oak. A touch salty too, which is a bit strange. Lemon and straw, a touch of earthy funk. The flavor is quite sour, though it leans toward the acetic side. Still, some nice lactic notes and lemon zest. Raspberry is there, as is a bit of oak, leather, and must. Not anywhere near as funky as most 3 Fonteinen beers. Enjoyable, but not amazing.

08-07-2012 16:22:53 | More by womencantsail
cosmicevan

4.95/5  rDev +10.2%

Consumed on 7/28 as a break from the BA DarkLords during the NYC Voltron tasting!!! HUMONGOUS thanks to jim for providing this gem. truly the biggest unexpected surprise of the day! can't believe i got a chance to taste this!!!
2011 vintage

a - gorgeous. pinkish red. think head with spotty lacing. really attractive. just looks like deliciousness.

s - smell is divine. if i could give a score of a 6 for smell on just one beer, this beer would get it. raspberry with the perfect sprinkle of funkiness.

t - WOW!!! great gunk. raspberry...sour cherry...magic in a bottle.

m - funky and just a bit dry. hell of a sour beer.

o - overall, i'm floored. this beer blew me away. lots of these talked about beers fall short but this one really lived up to the chatter about it. AMAZING. funk, magic, berries.

08-05-2012 03:07:29 | More by cosmicevan