Drie Fonteinen Framboos - Brouwerij Drie Fonteinen

Brouwerij Drie Fonteinen visit their website

Lambic - Fruit |  5.00% ABV

Beer added by: TheLongBeachBum on 03-02-2003

2.66/5  rDev -40.8%

Bottle 2011 version. Side-by-side with 2007 Hommage. Dark murky red, almost purple highlights and no head. Not necessarily inviting. Aroma is rotten raspberry, some rubber, very earthy. Taste is better with tart raspberry. The acidity is still quite tamed which makes it drinkable. Light and flat palate. I prefered Hommage as their was less of rotten raspberry and cherries added a nice twist. I really had a hard time drinking my pour, maybe it was a bad bottle but my tasting friends liked their glass so old raspberries might no be my style.

3.07/5  rDev -31.6%

I a not a lover of these style to begin with. I just wanted to try this one cause a lot of people are going nuts about this beer.

Yesterday we had the Zeebra extreme beerfestival in Holland where this was on of the beers on the list. I was in Kopenhagen when they were released but did not buy them cause this is not my style.

Poured in a Zeebra tatsting glass the beer looks ok. Smell is ok i guess for a beer like this but i was not very impressed by it.

The taste was extreme on the raspberry, too much for me. I let the beer go to my other tasting companion who loved this beer very much.

I am not born to like this beer, not any other sour or fruit beers...

3.53/5  rDev -21.4%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Thanks to a friend/mainiac for letting me pour a bottle of this.

New batch.

I was really looking forward to this as the 1999 was/is a monster whale I have always wanted to try. Kinda disappointed with this one.

Great red color. Very spritzy with minimal head.

Not particularly well balanced. Very acidic. It kinda burned the back of my throat a bit. Some rasberry flavors but not a ton. Minimal funk almost all sour. So sour that it was kinda tough to drink a lot. Maybe this needs to develop in the bottle a bit?

This was good but far from great. I would take an LP Framb or a Rose d G over this one dispite the rarity. Glad I got to try this but not one I would trade my cellar for.

3.75/5  rDev -16.5%

3.76/5  rDev -16.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4

Thanks, Chris!

Pours a cloudy reddish color with a light pink head. Smells of raspberry, leather, red wine vinegar, and oak. A touch salty too, which is a bit strange. Lemon and straw, a touch of earthy funk. The flavor is quite sour, though it leans toward the acetic side. Still, some nice lactic notes and lemon zest. Raspberry is there, as is a bit of oak, leather, and must. Not anywhere near as funky as most 3 Fonteinen beers. Enjoyable, but not amazing.

3.9/5  rDev -13.1%

first, HUGE thanks to Blake for busting this out.

pour was a light red, hit of pink. little head.

very raspberry forward on the nose, sour, lemon rind and oak. not overly complex by any means but it is what it is.

raspberry forward flavor, not much jam as others have mentioned. more of a rubber and or plastic blend. oak was very faint, too faint. with fonteinen, i usually expect a nice oak presence and it was missing. nice sourness, light acidic character.

light, mild to moderate carbonation. not overly puckering.

for the cost, value, etc... i found this lacking. hoping time takes this to another level like the '99. good but not really worth the whale hunt.

Drie Fonteinen Framboos from Brouwerij Drie Fonteinen