Drie Fonteinen Framboos - Brouwerij Drie Fonteinen

Lambic - Fruit |  5.00% ABV

Beer added by: TheLongBeachBum on 03-02-2003

3.5/5  rDev -22%

4.4/5  rDev -2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

Many thanks to Sc0pey for going out of his way to share this with me, albeit in a non-traditional way. Reviewed from notes.

A: Pours a deep magenta to almost blood red. Hazy with some bubbles of carbonation.

S: Funky, raspberries, fruity tartness and lactic sour.

T: Follows the nose – quite tart and funky, juicy raspberries, some barnyard and a touch of woody dryness. Lactic sourness puckers the mouth. An impression of sour cherries in the hang, and is quite dry.

M: Medium to light body, decent carbonation sensation, and a touch of alcohol warmth.

O: Very very good, even with only a small sampling. I don't know whether I'll ever have an opportunity to try this another time - but I'll be very excited if I do.

4.6/5  rDev +2.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.5

2011 bottle into Crooked Stave snifter enjoyed side-by-side with Hommage.

A- Really dark framboise color. Minimal-medium lacing for this kind of beer. I really thought this beer was going to be thinner, but it is pretty thick.

S- Deep rich raspberry, barnyard funk, yeast. Pretty much what you would expect from a 3F beer as far as funk.

T- Dangerously drinkable. There is a minimal milkshake consistency that helps this one down the throat. It first tastes of sugary raspberries that transform into sour raspberries. Very enjoyable and complex in that aspect. I am getting predictable 3F funk toward transition from sweet to tart.

M- This is where the beer shines for me. The mouthfeel is a perfect 5. Perfectly carbonated; almost minimal milkshake framboise as previously stated. Glorius.

O- I gave up a lot to try this brew. It lived up to my standards and more. From what I have heard; Hommage makes Framboos look like child's play. I imagine this statement was exaggerated. I need to try LPF too.

4.7/5  rDev +4.7%
look: 4.25 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Bottle (2011 vintage) split four ways, poured into a stem wine glass. Review probably biased positive, given that my thought while having this was 'holy s#!% I'm actually drinking Framboos'.

A - Deep, deep red with a minimal head that quickly settled.

S - Whoa. Raspberries for days. This is maybe the best smelling lambic I've ever had the pleasure of having. Behind the huge raspberry nose, there's some serious tartness and funk. I didn't even have to hold the glass up to my nose to smell this; the aroma just pops and you can get the smell from a foot or two away. Really awesome.

T - Tart raspberries, moderate to light funk, then some more tart raspberry before finishing with some lactic acidity and sour bite. I expected a degree of sweetness in the taste and I really didn't find it. All the sugar must've gotten eaten up by the bugs and converted into dry, tannic, fruity sourness. Yummy.

M - Moderate carbonation with a super dry finish. I really like super-dry sours, and this definitely was one.

O - Very, very good, and definitely lived up to the hype, but not so vastly better than a similarly aged Cantillon LP Framboise that it's worth giving up the farm for. I'm quite happy I was able to try this, but it's not something I'll be seeking out a repeat bottle of, given the cost of acquisition.

Drie Fonteinen Framboos from Brouwerij Drie Fonteinen