Drie Fonteinen Millennium Geuze - Brouwerij Drie Fonteinen

Drie Fonteinen Millennium GeuzeDrie Fonteinen Millennium Geuze

Brouwerij Drie Fonteinen visit their website

Gueuze |  7.00% ABV

Beer added by: truthbrew on 08-08-2003

Big thanks to Blaine of Willard's for sharing this on HIS birthday!

A - It is a fantastically attractive pour: shimmering orange with only the faintest haze, a plentiful white cap, replete with retention and lace. Looks radiant and beautiful.

S - Color me olfactorily impressed; this is a heavenly and sublime combo of sweet fruitiness, sharp-medicinal brett, and sulfur-y charred wood aromatics.

T - What can I say? It is a fantastic Gueuze, but better; it is a feeling and an experience and a sensation to drink this. I am not sure how it could be translated into words. Exceptionally pleasurable. Never has grassy, lemon-rindy, and medicinal tasted so good.

M - Winner. Again. It is well-carbonated and very bright; totally enhancing.

D - This was really perfect in every aspect. It could only be different, not better. (827 characters)

I'm not sure what I can say about this gueuze other than 'perfection'. Full of complexity with a balanced acidity and sourness that make it incredibly easy to drink... almost too easy. I have been waiting to try this vintage for many years and it did not disappoint. Gueuzes are one of my favorite style of beer and while Drie Founteinen has always ranked as one of my favorites, this particular vintage blows the rest away. By far the best gueuze I have ever tasted. This is certainly the perfect gueuze. (505 characters)

Thanks to Chad (cpferris) for the hook up at our sour tasting.

Pours a very hazy dark golden orange with slight yellow hues, kind of a ripe banana color, and a two finger frothy white head wiith excellent retention, only slowly fading into a lasting cap and ring.

Beautiful musty barnyard aroma with a berg prominent horseblanlet presence. Hints of cobwebs, foot, bandaid, earth and lactic creaminess. The aroma on this beer is incredible with lots of complex funk and sweet light fruit. Hints of crisp light fruit, maybe some apple, pear and grape with maybe some straw and grass. I've been taking in the aroma for several minutes and haven't been able to even sip it yet.

Surprisingly full chewy mouthfeel, especially for the style. Very tart and puckering yet not acidic with slight lactic creaminess, erthy funk and oaky tannis. Sweet crisp light fruit notes, mostly apple and pear. Somewhat vinous with a sweet lingering vinegar character. Subtle dry finish. Complex yet very quaffable with a slightly dry finish. Highly recommended! (1,042 characters)

4.97/5  rDev +10.4%

750ml bottle. I decided to shell out the 100 Euro or so and buy this one from Beermania. I just couldn't pass on the opportunity.

Opened to a loud pop and it was a light gusher (good thing we had our glasses ready just in case this happened!). Poured a deep and cloudy golden color with an averaged sized whte head.

Aromas of brett, funky, yeast, wood, and apples.

Tastes of green apples, yeast, citrus, brett, and fruity.

Had a very nice sweet to tart balance.

Worth every penny I had to spend to get it (this is either the most, or one of the most I ever paid for a beer).

Notes from and tasted on 7/24/07. (614 characters)

4.95/5  rDev +10%

I purchased a case of this in 1999, and if you read the back of the bottle you will see that it is not to be consumed until 2010. I first tasted this brilliant geuze on New Years 2000. The cork could barely stay in the bottle after removing the wire restraint. The taste was too overwhelming in every category due to its youth, I felt like I got a tongue lashing, which made me give it an underwhelming review. I then tasted it again in 2005, and was mildly surprised at the changes it had undergone, especially the smooth, sharp flavoring t produced. In 2010 I had 4 bottles left and drank 2 on New Years. DeCam and 3 Fonteinen were right, the wait was worth it. I have yet to taste a better geuze and I have over 100 different geuzes in my cellar ranging in age from 5 - 25 years. I still have 2Millenium bottles in my cellar waiting for that special occasion. Wouldn't part with them for any money. I strongly recommend that if you get your hands on one you drink it alone and maybe have some nice steamed mussels on the side. (1,029 characters)

4.95/5  rDev +10%

Shared this very rare sour with PapaEugene.

Look: Hazy yellow orange with a big fluffy, with a not too long lasting white head (like champagne)

Mouthfeel: Chewy mouthfeel, lively carbonation

Overall: I am not a specialist of the style, but getting slowly more used to it. Still, this must be the best one I had until now together with the J&J blauw!!! Thanks for brewing this masterpiece! (625 characters)

4.95/5  rDev +10%

1998 vintage 750ml caged and corked bottle opened and placed in a serving basket by Joost himself at Cafe DHVL in Belgium on 4/25/10.

From notes....

Appearance: Outstanding orange body with honey folds. Amazing slightly buttery looking crown. Good retention and thick caked on lace.

Smell: Unabashed shameless brett funk bomb!

Taste: Salt on a sweatsock....glorious! Not overly acidic, just nice and dry.

Mouthfeel: Carbonation is really smoothed out and body is nearly perfect (light but not unsatisfying).

Drinkability: Liquid Jesus and I want to take communion over and over again.

This expertly aged bottle was truly the crowning highlight of the evening! (667 characters)

4.91/5  rDev +9.1%
look: 4.75 | smell: 5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

750 ml bottle at Grote Dorst, bottled in 1998, served in a wine glass.

A- Pours a hazy golden color, with an 1.5 inches of billowing white head, really awesome retention and lacing.

S- Just ridiculously awesome. At first it's very dominated by a soft, earthy, damp wood / forest floor funkiness, also some dry hay / sawdust funk. Some honey and a bit of mineral flavor. As it warms up a very prominent and distinct pear aroma comes out, which I don't think I've ever gotten in a gueuze before. This has got to be one of the most complex aromas I've ever found in any lambic or gueuze.

T- Soft acidity, very lactic and dry along with a bit of lemon. Way less sour than I was expecting. Much more emphasis on damp, earthy, forest floor funkiness. Mild herbal flavors. Some chalkiness / mineral flavor towards the finish. I'm a huge fan of 3F's forest floor funky flavors, so this was pretty perfect for me.

M- Medium-bodied, soft feel with moderate carbonation, very dry at the finish.

O- Just an amazing beer. Huge complexity and wonderful flavors, especially focusing on the earthy funk flavors really did it for me. Of all the old 3F beers from this period, this has held up the best and is easily my favorite. One of the best lambics I've had. (1,250 characters)

4.86/5  rDev +8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.75

750ml from Lambic basket into 3 Fonteinen glass at Grote Dorst

This is the empyrean, the height of my ticking career. I took 2 trains, a bus, and was given a ride the rest of the way by a local baker and his son who did me a solid. In other words, don't be a dumbass like me and rent a car. When I finally got there I was greeted by a convivial scene: a small, local, family-run pub that happens to house one of the great Lambic and Gueuze cellars. Did I mention it was hot as balls? Now that my novella is over, to the beer:

Cloudy off yellow with ample head and good lacing. This one was a bit of a gusher? The only other thing to say about this beer is how well rounded and delicious it was. Worth the hassel. And I could have drank a bucket of it, it was so goddamn hot.
Go soon as I think this was one of the last bottles at Grote Dorst. (846 characters)

4.85/5  rDev +7.8%

Bottle poured into a tasting glass. How I acquired this bottle will always be my most amazing random beer find/discovery of all time!

(A)- Pours a hazy caramel color that produced a nice big effervescent white head that stuck around for awhile. Minimal lacing.

(S)- Funky with a nice must and lactic bits. Has some fruits that seem almost tropical to me in nature. Comes across with some earthy aspects that I like overall.

(T)- Very much like the smell. Just beautiful really. Someone mentioned mangos, which I agree with, but just overall has a tropical profile when considering the fruits. Has a fitting sourness. Lemon pokes through too.

(M)- Smooth as silk with a mellow sour funk and mild tartness. Beautiful balance that has really meshed together well with the age.

(D)- I really could have drunk this all day long if I had the opportunity again. It actually has a simpleness to it, but such an easy drinking quality to it even for the style. More please. (970 characters)

4.85/5  rDev +7.8%

750 ml bottle thanks to Ditmier with a major assist from JohnGalt1- thanks a ton guys this was a major want of mine for so long and it exceeded my expectations. Pours a bright orange color with a large eggshell foamy white head. A wonderful soft and effervescent body. The aroma is massive earthy/dusty cobwebs, sour oak and lambic notes. The flavor was a wonderful mix of sour oaky and funky flavors with a very sweet citrus almost lemon or apricot, so dusty and funky, sourness for sure, but this is very drinkable. In fact absurdly so. It just rolls over your palate with so many different combinations and such an intense dry fruity dustiness. Just amazing. (661 characters)

4.83/5  rDev +7.3%

Towed this along to the BA gathering this past weekend. There were a few I made sure to keep track of so I could review, and as a lambic lover, I made damn sure this was one of them.

I removed the wire cage, holding my thumb over the cork, talking with a few other BAs, and about 15 seconds later, the cork exploded, gushing gueuze fizz all over my wife and the floor. Oops.

Massive head with a big, bubbly fizz that clings like loose cobwebs to the sides of my sample glass. Mellow, of course, compared to something like Cantillon, the sourness is the dominant aroma, but lemon grass and earthy, dirty wood are notable among the subtlties buried amidst the sea of acid.

Its burby acidity is fairly mellow on the tongue. I'm surprised at the level of citric flavor that makes its way though. Some cakey sweetness is evident only as the palate adjusts to the sourness. Lemon for sure. No significant bitterness, though this cleans up nicely. Incredible drinkability for a gueuze. (988 characters)

4.8/5  rDev +6.7%

6/14/2010

I'm opening this to celebrate passing the final section of the CPA exam, which I sat for on 04/08/2010 and received the results of on 5/27/2010. The exam consisted of many, many hours alone with a book and a computer, and lots of stress...but I'm finally done!

Poured carefully into a La Chouffe tulip, Millenium Gueuze is transparent golden (the sediment left on the bottom of the bottle) with a three finger frothy beige head. This appears to be well carbonated.

In the aroma I find a strong Brett presence, with notes of wet horse blanket, musty barnyard, and salty cheese. I also detect hay, mushroom, and damp earth. Citrus coexists harmoniously alongside funk, and it's redolent of zesty lemon. The citrus is soft, vibrant, and moderately acidic, playing beautifully off the wood. I perceive ripe golden delicious apples. Notes of oak and vinegar are light. This has really opened up over the last 20 minutes. Wow!

The flavor opens with notes of earth, cobwebs, musty barnyard, mild wet leather, horse blanket and damp cellar floor. Lemon rind piquancy lends a puckering sensation, an upper moderate tartness. Lactic notes are soft, accompanied by a light vinegar character, wood, straw, and tannins. The beer is dry, but there's a subtle ephemeral sweetness to it that is quickly washed away. I perceive ripe golden apples and light pear notes. The crisp and acidic finish is a beautiful combination of wood, citrus, funk, and tannins.

The beer is light bodied with a high level of carbonation and a dry, spritzy mouthfeel. This is extremely drinkable. I wish I would have opened this up during daylight hours, to quench my thirst in the sun. This is among the best Gueuzes I've had. (1,708 characters)

4.8/5  rDev +6.7%

Tasting 4/14/2012, thanks drabmuh!

Appearance: cloudy golden pour, thin white head and lacing
Smell: Delicious funk, touches of earth and cheese.
Taste: Delicious, great funkiness that has really developed, nice acidity. Exemplary of the style and very well rounded between the earth notes, funk and sour
Mouthfeel: moderate body and carbonation, very enjoyable.
Overall: Great blend, worthy of a special occasion (414 characters)

4.79/5  rDev +6.4%

Huge thanks to hopdog for breaking out this expensive, much desired, bad-boy of Geuzes...
Appears a hazy, light golden with an orange hue. A small, white head fades into a mild cap. Mild spots of lacing are left around the glass.
Smell is horsey, funky, plasticy, with notes of tangerine, apple tartness, and sweet tart candies.
Taste mimics the aromas with a standout of citrus, green apple, and funk.
Mouthfeel is medium/light bodied, tartness lingering up front with citrus lingering in the finish.
If you're a fan of Gueuze's, consider this one at the top of the list. (577 characters)

4.79/5  rDev +6.4%

Thanks to the "King of Beers" Dan for sharing this one. Next time bring something more expensive please.

Poured into a 5 oz. taster glass. Not a proper vessel for reviewing appearance, so my rating for this category is adjusted to create an accurate overall score.

Pours a very murky gold color with a huge effervescent head. The aroma is potent lemon zest and earthiness. Very floral as well. Sinus invading.

The flavor starts out with mango (thanks for stealing my descriptor, Ben) and is followed by oak and lemon with a biting sourness. Notes of kohlrabi, but only because that is the first vegetable that popped into my head at the time. Very flavorful and well balanced. Divine, really...although not particularly complex for the style.

The body is medium and there is a bit of spritzy carbonation. A dry yet juicy finish.

Overall this is amazing and is easily one of the best gueuze blends I've ever had. Loved it. (927 characters)

4.77/5  rDev +6%

Pours a hazy orange-ish color with a light tan head. In the aroma, quite tart, with a note of fruitiness. In the taste, tart, and a dry mix of peach skin and white grape fruitiness. A small sour bite and medium to lighter bodied mouthfeel, with a dry, tart peach like note in the aftertaste. Dry and tart, nice fruit presence, and I LOVED IT! (342 characters)

4.77/5  rDev +6%

Sampled August 2004
Pours a lightly hazy full gold color. Topped by a volcanic, rocky off-white head that is driven by an explosive carbonation that propelled the cork from the bottle. As I pour this brew an intoxicating aroma of fresh cut lemons and fresh earth wafts from my glass. As I smell deeper I get a full on Lambic grapefruit nose, it is joined by a fresh mushroom aroma of chanterelles as well as a certain damp-cellar smell. The aroma is just incredible and I am not doing it any justice by my description.

The beer erupts on the front of my tongue as I go in for the first taste. It has lots of grapefruit character, and is acidic, but mellowed a bit by age and destiny, though this is certainly only mellow by Lambic standards. I swirl my glass to get rid of some of the excessive carbonation. This beer is so light and spritzy, it is quite refreshing. The finish of this beer has a definite tannic note to it that gives this beer a certain teeth coating astringency that helps to balance the citric acidity. There is a nice earthy component here as well, almost a woody mushroom character. As it starts to warm up, I get aromatic hints of a strong barnyard funk.

The grapefruit character in this beer is quite unique for me, I have only tasted this in straight Lambics from the cask before. I really like that they decided to concentrate on this character for this Geuze, it makes this beer all the more refreshing. What a treat, I really love a good Lambic. I am quite disappointed that I have just started drinking my second and final cup of this. I certainly wish that I had more. (1,605 characters)

4.71/5  rDev +4.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

Review #450!! Huge thanks to Kramer for bringing this long time want of mine to our recent gueuze tasting. Served right beside the four Armand'4's.

A - Pours golden orange with a beautiful one and a half finger tall white head leaving thin streaks of lace down the glass. A very nice looking beer.

S - Smells of musty basement funk, bit of funky cheese, oak, touch of herbs, vinous grape skins and a bit of citric fruit. A very intoxicating smell.

T - Starts off with a big dose of musty basement funk slowly giving way to hints of damp earth, oak, herbs and some vinous grape skin. Very little oxidation for being this old. Nice balance of funk to sour, leaving the pallet bone dry long after consumption.

M - Medium-Light body and flavor with moderate carbonation. Crisp, dry feel with quite a bit of dryness clinging to the pallet long after the finish. Carb is a touch high but I prefer it that way.

O - Well this one really lived up to its billing. The balance of flavors is nearly flawless and it is exceptionally easy to drink. Easily one of the best gueuzes I have ever tried. Thanks again Kramer! (1,111 characters)

4.7/5  rDev +4.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Huge thanks to Chad, Craig, and Jeff for sharing this one. Never thought I'd try this beer.

In the glass, Millennium Gueuze is a bright, glowing orange. Hazy but translucent, with a stream of carbonation that feeds a long-lasting head. This is a beautiful gueuze.

The aroma is pungent yet surprisingly delicate. Damp wood, musty basement and cigar humidor all come to mind. It's got an earthy, woodsy character that's unique and remarkable. Orange peel, stone fruit and lemony acidity are also prominent, along with something herbal - bay leaf, perhaps. The balance and complexity of the aroma is outstanding.

Grainy, woody and earthy flavors lead into sharp lactic sourness. This is bone dry and very tannic, but not overwhelmingly so - the tannins do a beautiful job of balancing the sharp lemony sourness. Flavors of mint, oak and bitter orange peel come out mid-palate. This is so perfectly balanced and effervescent, it's difficult to sip and savor. It finishes tannic, dry and bitter with a hint of acetic acid and apple cider vinegar. Remarkable how well this beer has held up; 12 years has treated it kindly and I can see it lasting another 12 easily. (1,162 characters)

4.68/5  rDev +4%

Re-Rate at Akkurat in Stockholm. Just as good, really wanted to not like it as much as I did the first time. The pour is hazy golden yellow with tons of thick white head and some large bubbles. The nose has cheesy funk, light mineral notes, lightly dusty paper, bright fruits, peaches, awesome nose. The taste has the same light funk, hints of cheese and mineral and lightly dusty. The bright peaches are powerful and really carry the weight, notes of citrus and a very pleasant sourness in the finish. The body is light, soft feel, medium carbonation and a semi dry finish. More sour than the 50th ann. but less funky. A touch more citrusy and slightly shorter finish. Still amazing!

***
Another HUGE thanks to Frank for sharing another gem!

A-pours a golden dark peach with plenty of fluffly head that is slightly off white in color.

S-the nose has a big funk blast, earthy and musky cellar funk with soft ripe peaches and notes of acidity. there is a pleasant citrusy aroma in the very back.

T-the taste has a nice musky funk in it, grassy earthy flavors that are slightly paper like, the acidity is moderate and the sweetness is strong with a very juicy fruit flavor of peach and light notes of lemon in the back.

M-very smooth with a medium to light body, this is perfectly carbonated giving it a good clean crisp semi dry finish.

D-this has a very good balance with plenty of earthy funks in it and a moderate amount of acidity. the grassy flavors play well with the funk as does the lemon. the juicy citrusy peach makes this insanely drinkable and I’d love more! (1,577 characters)

4.67/5  rDev +3.8%

Hazy yellow orange with a big fluffy, with a not too long lasting champagne-like white head. Smell: Soft sour aroma, complex with citrus fruits, funky, earthy with clear hints of grass (hay). Taste: The typical 3 fonteinen taste. Tart, but not too acidic. Earthy with notes of citrus fruits, some oak and vinegar. Dry body. Thanks for brewing this masterpiece! (360 characters)

4.62/5  rDev +2.7%

thrilled to be able to write this review. art of the mega sour tasting i did over the course of a week, reviewed from notes.

pours out a nice and cloudy, hazy amber with nice hints of white foam that peak through on the top of the glass and settled down leaving nice lacing all along the side.

aroma is deep funk with hints of barrel. oaky and earthy with apples, and pears coming into play almost immediately. not as sour as i thought it would be i have to admit, it was extremely well balanced. tart apples, oak, grasses, hints of vinegar only slight, and a light oxidation that works with the flavor. it was simply sublime. everything i wanted and more. long dry finish left slight touches of fruit on the palate and the end result was a wonderful mix of flavors that simply could not be beat.

so happy i had gotten to try this, another off the bucket list. (864 characters)

4.62/5  rDev +2.7%

Bottle at the DC Lambic & Sour Tasting on April 14, 2012. Served in a Drie Fonteinen old-school fountains gueuze tumbler. Huge thanks to drabmuh for bringing this bottle.

Pours a somewhat-cloudy golden color with a thin white head with moderate retention and a spot or two of lace. Thin collar as the head eventually falls.

The nose brings forward loads of funk with some light basement and faint cheese notes plus a hefty dose of general 3F earthiness. Light acidity lingering in the background along with a touch of oxidized malt.

The flavor is equally as impressive with a subdued acidity and plenty of up-front funkiness. Great interaction of Brett- and bacteria-derived character. This really took is up a level from the 1998 50th Anniversary.

The mouthfeel was the best aspect of the beer. No surprise for a vintage Drie Fonteinen gueuze. The body was medium in texture with light-moderate acidity on the back of moderate-to-heavy funk. Light carbonation and a dry finish. Acidity was quite smooth.

Really just an outstanding blend from Armand that has really, really stood the test of time. A fantastic experience. Thanks again, Matt. (1,147 characters)

4.62/5  rDev +2.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Huge thanks to Jerz for hosting an awesome tasting, and for so many generous beer connoisseurs who made the event possible.

Pours a hazy yellow gold. Some orange notes in the interior. 1-2 inches of sudsy white foam head.

Huge funk, horse blankety zest aroma. AYIAYAYAY, such funk. Cobwebs, hay seeds, musk ox taint, all that crazy stuff. Great aroma.

Taste provides that oaky, zesty funk in abundance. The spices were a bit muted, kind of a contrast to the roos we tried earlier. Some sticky sweaty horse skin with some cat musk, along with some light pinpricks of sourness followed by a lingering unripe grape/apple burn.

Great bubbly mouthfeel. (652 characters)

Drie Fonteinen Millennium Geuze from Brouwerij Drie Fonteinen