Drie Fonteinen Millennium Geuze - Brouwerij Drie Fonteinen

Drie Fonteinen Millennium GeuzeDrie Fonteinen Millennium Geuze

Brouwerij Drie Fonteinen visit their website

Gueuze |  7.00% ABV

(Beer added by: truthbrew on 08-08-2003)

BrandonDZ, Apr 30, 2014

Big thanks to Blaine of Willard's for sharing this on HIS birthday!

A - It is a fantastically attractive pour: shimmering orange with only the faintest haze, a plentiful white cap, replete with retention and lace. Looks radiant and beautiful.

S - Color me olfactorily impressed; this is a heavenly and sublime combo of sweet fruitiness, sharp-medicinal brett, and sulfur-y charred wood aromatics.

T - What can I say? It is a fantastic Gueuze, but better; it is a feeling and an experience and a sensation to drink this. I am not sure how it could be translated into words. Exceptionally pleasurable. Never has grassy, lemon-rindy, and medicinal tasted so good.

M - Winner. Again. It is well-carbonated and very bright; totally enhancing.

D - This was really perfect in every aspect. It could only be different, not better.

ktrillionaire, Jul 13, 2010

I'm not sure what I can say about this gueuze other than 'perfection'. Full of complexity with a balanced acidity and sourness that make it incredibly easy to drink... almost too easy. I have been waiting to try this vintage for many years and it did not disappoint. Gueuzes are one of my favorite style of beer and while Drie Founteinen has always ranked as one of my favorites, this particular vintage blows the rest away. By far the best gueuze I have ever tasted. This is certainly the perfect gueuze.

eclectic, Mar 24, 2007

SourNotes, Nov 14, 2011

Dicers, Jul 27, 2014

spycow, Dec 07, 2011

Roze, Jun 17, 2014

Thanks to Chad (cpferris) for the hook up at our sour tasting.

Pours a very hazy dark golden orange with slight yellow hues, kind of a ripe banana color, and a two finger frothy white head wiith excellent retention, only slowly fading into a lasting cap and ring.

Beautiful musty barnyard aroma with a berg prominent horseblanlet presence. Hints of cobwebs, foot, bandaid, earth and lactic creaminess. The aroma on this beer is incredible with lots of complex funk and sweet light fruit. Hints of crisp light fruit, maybe some apple, pear and grape with maybe some straw and grass. I've been taking in the aroma for several minutes and haven't been able to even sip it yet.

Surprisingly full chewy mouthfeel, especially for the style. Very tart and puckering yet not acidic with slight lactic creaminess, erthy funk and oaky tannis. Sweet crisp light fruit notes, mostly apple and pear. Somewhat vinous with a sweet lingering vinegar character. Subtle dry finish. Complex yet very quaffable with a slightly dry finish. Highly recommended!

corby112, Jan 09, 2010

JAHMUR, Jan 02, 2012

JimmyMacS, Nov 24, 2011

Mbrown44, Jun 30, 2013

jerz, Nov 16, 2011

mjohnson17, Apr 27, 2014

imperialking, Jan 09, 2012
4.97/5  rDev +9%

750ml bottle. I decided to shell out the 100 Euro or so and buy this one from Beermania. I just couldn't pass on the opportunity.

Opened to a loud pop and it was a light gusher (good thing we had our glasses ready just in case this happened!). Poured a deep and cloudy golden color with an averaged sized whte head.

Aromas of brett, funky, yeast, wood, and apples.

Tastes of green apples, yeast, citrus, brett, and fruity.

Had a very nice sweet to tart balance.

Worth every penny I had to spend to get it (this is either the most, or one of the most I ever paid for a beer).

Notes from and tasted on 7/24/07.

hopdog, Nov 04, 2008
4.95/5  rDev +8.6%

I purchased a case of this in 1999, and if you read the back of the bottle you will see that it is not to be consumed until 2010. I first tasted this brilliant geuze on New Years 2000. The cork could barely stay in the bottle after removing the wire restraint. The taste was too overwhelming in every category due to its youth, I felt like I got a tongue lashing, which made me give it an underwhelming review. I then tasted it again in 2005, and was mildly surprised at the changes it had undergone, especially the smooth, sharp flavoring t produced. In 2010 I had 4 bottles left and drank 2 on New Years. DeCam and 3 Fonteinen were right, the wait was worth it. I have yet to taste a better geuze and I have over 100 different geuzes in my cellar ranging in age from 5 - 25 years. I still have 2Millenium bottles in my cellar waiting for that special occasion. Wouldn't part with them for any money. I strongly recommend that if you get your hands on one you drink it alone and maybe have some nice steamed mussels on the side.

qumrangeorge, May 17, 2012
4.95/5  rDev +8.6%

Shared this very rare sour with PapaEugene.

Look: Hazy yellow orange with a big fluffy, with a not too long lasting white head (like champagne)

Smell: Soft sour aroma, complex with citrus fruits, funky, earthy with clear hints of grass (hay).

Taste: The typical 3 fonteinen taste. Tart, but not too acidic. Earthy with notes of citrus fruits, some oak and vinegar. Dry body.

Mouthfeel: Chewy mouthfeel, lively carbonation

Overall: I am not a specialist of the style, but getting slowly more used to it. Still, this must be the best one I had until now together with the J&J blauw!!! Thanks for brewing this masterpiece!

rvdoorn, Mar 25, 2010
4.95/5  rDev +8.6%

1998 vintage 750ml caged and corked bottle opened and placed in a serving basket by Joost himself at Cafe DHVL in Belgium on 4/25/10.

From notes....

Appearance: Outstanding orange body with honey folds. Amazing slightly buttery looking crown. Good retention and thick caked on lace.

Smell: Unabashed shameless brett funk bomb!

Taste: Salt on a sweatsock....glorious! Not overly acidic, just nice and dry.

Mouthfeel: Carbonation is really smoothed out and body is nearly perfect (light but not unsatisfying).

Drinkability: Liquid Jesus and I want to take communion over and over again.

This expertly aged bottle was truly the crowning highlight of the evening!

koopa, May 11, 2010
4.91/5  rDev +7.7%
look: 4.75 | smell: 5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

750 ml bottle at Grote Dorst, bottled in 1998, served in a wine glass.

A- Pours a hazy golden color, with an 1.5 inches of billowing white head, really awesome retention and lacing.

S- Just ridiculously awesome. At first it's very dominated by a soft, earthy, damp wood / forest floor funkiness, also some dry hay / sawdust funk. Some honey and a bit of mineral flavor. As it warms up a very prominent and distinct pear aroma comes out, which I don't think I've ever gotten in a gueuze before. This has got to be one of the most complex aromas I've ever found in any lambic or gueuze.

T- Soft acidity, very lactic and dry along with a bit of lemon. Way less sour than I was expecting. Much more emphasis on damp, earthy, forest floor funkiness. Mild herbal flavors. Some chalkiness / mineral flavor towards the finish. I'm a huge fan of 3F's forest floor funky flavors, so this was pretty perfect for me.

M- Medium-bodied, soft feel with moderate carbonation, very dry at the finish.

O- Just an amazing beer. Huge complexity and wonderful flavors, especially focusing on the earthy funk flavors really did it for me. Of all the old 3F beers from this period, this has held up the best and is easily my favorite. One of the best lambics I've had.

WillCarrera, Jun 26, 2013
4.88/5  rDev +7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.75

750ml from Lambic basket into 3 Fonteinen glass at Grote Dorst

This is the empyrean, the height of my ticking career. I took 2 trains, a bus, and was given a ride the rest of the way by a local baker and his son who did me a solid. In other words, don't be a dumbass like me and rent a car. When I finally got there I was greeted by a convivial scene: a small, local, family-run pub that happens to house one of the great Lambic and Gueuze cellars. Did I mention it was hot as balls? Now that my novella is over, to the beer:

Cloudy off yellow with ample head and good lacing. This one was a bit of a gusher? The only other thing to say about this beer is how well rounded and delicious it was. Worth the hassel. And I could have drank a bucket of it, it was so goddamn hot.
Go soon as I think this was one of the last bottles at Grote Dorst.

dsgolovin, Jul 07, 2013
4.88/5  rDev +7%

Bottle poured into a tasting glass. How I acquired this bottle will always be my most amazing random beer find/discovery of all time!

(A)- Pours a hazy caramel color that produced a nice big effervescent white head that stuck around for awhile. Minimal lacing.

(S)- Funky with a nice must and lactic bits. Has some fruits that seem almost tropical to me in nature. Comes across with some earthy aspects that I like overall.

(T)- Very much like the smell. Just beautiful really. Someone mentioned mangos, which I agree with, but just overall has a tropical profile when considering the fruits. Has a fitting sourness. Lemon pokes through too.

(M)- Smooth as silk with a mellow sour funk and mild tartness. Beautiful balance that has really meshed together well with the age.

(D)- I really could have drunk this all day long if I had the opportunity again. It actually has a simpleness to it, but such an easy drinking quality to it even for the style. More please.

sweemzander, Oct 25, 2010
4.88/5  rDev +7%

750 ml bottle thanks to Ditmier with a major assist from JohnGalt1- thanks a ton guys this was a major want of mine for so long and it exceeded my expectations. Pours a bright orange color with a large eggshell foamy white head. A wonderful soft and effervescent body. The aroma is massive earthy/dusty cobwebs, sour oak and lambic notes. The flavor was a wonderful mix of sour oaky and funky flavors with a very sweet citrus almost lemon or apricot, so dusty and funky, sourness for sure, but this is very drinkable. In fact absurdly so. It just rolls over your palate with so many different combinations and such an intense dry fruity dustiness. Just amazing.

Douglas88, Apr 22, 2011
4.85/5  rDev +6.4%

Towed this along to the BA gathering this past weekend. There were a few I made sure to keep track of so I could review, and as a lambic lover, I made damn sure this was one of them.

I removed the wire cage, holding my thumb over the cork, talking with a few other BAs, and about 15 seconds later, the cork exploded, gushing gueuze fizz all over my wife and the floor. Oops.

Massive head with a big, bubbly fizz that clings like loose cobwebs to the sides of my sample glass. Mellow, of course, compared to something like Cantillon, the sourness is the dominant aroma, but lemon grass and earthy, dirty wood are notable among the subtlties buried amidst the sea of acid.

Its burby acidity is fairly mellow on the tongue. I'm surprised at the level of citric flavor that makes its way though. Some cakey sweetness is evident only as the palate adjusts to the sourness. Lemon for sure. No significant bitterness, though this cleans up nicely. Incredible drinkability for a gueuze.

marburg, Nov 08, 2004
4.83/5  rDev +5.9%

6/14/2010

I'm opening this to celebrate passing the final section of the CPA exam, which I sat for on 04/08/2010 and received the results of on 5/27/2010. The exam consisted of many, many hours alone with a book and a computer, and lots of stress...but I'm finally done!

Poured carefully into a La Chouffe tulip, Millenium Gueuze is transparent golden (the sediment left on the bottom of the bottle) with a three finger frothy beige head. This appears to be well carbonated.

In the aroma I find a strong Brett presence, with notes of wet horse blanket, musty barnyard, and salty cheese. I also detect hay, mushroom, and damp earth. Citrus coexists harmoniously alongside funk, and it's redolent of zesty lemon. The citrus is soft, vibrant, and moderately acidic, playing beautifully off the wood. I perceive ripe golden delicious apples. Notes of oak and vinegar are light. This has really opened up over the last 20 minutes. Wow!

The flavor opens with notes of earth, cobwebs, musty barnyard, mild wet leather, horse blanket and damp cellar floor. Lemon rind piquancy lends a puckering sensation, an upper moderate tartness. Lactic notes are soft, accompanied by a light vinegar character, wood, straw, and tannins. The beer is dry, but there's a subtle ephemeral sweetness to it that is quickly washed away. I perceive ripe golden apples and light pear notes. The crisp and acidic finish is a beautiful combination of wood, citrus, funk, and tannins.

The beer is light bodied with a high level of carbonation and a dry, spritzy mouthfeel. This is extremely drinkable. I wish I would have opened this up during daylight hours, to quench my thirst in the sun. This is among the best Gueuzes I've had.

HopHead84, Jun 15, 2010