Drie Fonteinen Millennium Geuze - Brouwerij Drie Fonteinen

Drie Fonteinen Millennium GeuzeDrie Fonteinen Millennium Geuze

Brouwerij Drie Fonteinen visit their website

Gueuze |  7.00% ABV

(Beer added by: truthbrew on 08-08-2003)
4.1/5  rDev -9.5%

Chilled bottle into a glass. Jointly provided for the epic sour tasting by Chad, Craig, and Jeff. Thanks, guys!

A: Pours a glowing, murky (actually opaque) apricot color. A huge, foamy off-white head with great retention fills the glass, retreating into a thick collar and film on the brew. It remains lively for the duration of the drink.

S: Very nuanced and lovely. Lots of hay, must, horse, lemon rind, mild lacto, some kind of wood (but not oak, something else distinct). Earth, pear, and apricot.

T: Delicious. A melange of orchard and stone fruit in apple, apricot, and pear. Lemon rind provides a strong citrusy presence that provides a very tart, nearly puckering presence. Nicely supplemented by mild lactic sourness and grass. Light white wine is buoyed by acetic qualities. The finish brings out nuances of brett funk (hay, horse blanket, must) as well as whatever wood I picked up in the nose. Tannic but not too astringent in the finish. Call me a heretic, but I like the leather I pick up in younger gueuze -- this seems a bit simple.

M: Medium-bodied, with velvety carbonation. Semi-dry.

D: Very good. One of my favorites from the tasting. Too bad this is rare, as it is quite the enjoyable beer. One thing to temper my comments, though: I've never had a gueuze this old. Maybe they're all this good.

Thanks to Chad (cpferris) for the hook up at our sour tasting.

Pours a very hazy dark golden orange with slight yellow hues, kind of a ripe banana color, and a two finger frothy white head wiith excellent retention, only slowly fading into a lasting cap and ring.

Beautiful musty barnyard aroma with a berg prominent horseblanlet presence. Hints of cobwebs, foot, bandaid, earth and lactic creaminess. The aroma on this beer is incredible with lots of complex funk and sweet light fruit. Hints of crisp light fruit, maybe some apple, pear and grape with maybe some straw and grass. I've been taking in the aroma for several minutes and haven't been able to even sip it yet.

Surprisingly full chewy mouthfeel, especially for the style. Very tart and puckering yet not acidic with slight lactic creaminess, erthy funk and oaky tannis. Sweet crisp light fruit notes, mostly apple and pear. Somewhat vinous with a sweet lingering vinegar character. Subtle dry finish. Complex yet very quaffable with a slightly dry finish. Highly recommended!

4.5/5  rDev -0.7%

Bottle shared with family to celebrate my brothers wedding. Beer poured a hazy deep golden color with a massive off white head, froathy. Aroma is tart, some yeast notes with a touch of a wood character. The taste is very complex. There is a strong tart and acidic character as well as wood notes and lemon running around in the mouth. Some leather notes as well. We worth the wait to try, I only wish I had more to sample.

4.53/5  rDev 0%

A gift from a friend name dropping is resisted here and a special occasion was reserved for this treat. This heavenly nectar dances across the palate with a 8 out of 10 for a sourness which is invigorating but not overpowering. I didn't even think of it until now this bottle was 10 years old but tasted so fresh like it was bottled yesterday. I might have to go back to Cambridge for more :)

4.97/5  rDev +9.7%

750ml bottle. I decided to shell out the 100 Euro or so and buy this one from Beermania. I just couldn't pass on the opportunity.

Opened to a loud pop and it was a light gusher (good thing we had our glasses ready just in case this happened!). Poured a deep and cloudy golden color with an averaged sized whte head.

Aromas of brett, funky, yeast, wood, and apples.

Tastes of green apples, yeast, citrus, brett, and fruity.

Had a very nice sweet to tart balance.

Worth every penny I had to spend to get it (this is either the most, or one of the most I ever paid for a beer).

Notes from and tasted on 7/24/07.

4.05/5  rDev -10.6%

From a 75cl bottle; vintage 1998. Pours a light hazy full gold color with a fantastic amount of lasting Champagne foaming head. Aroma is a little musty with that slight note of horseblanket bouquet. Taste was very light and refreshing, sour notes where not that present for what I like in a Gueuze, still a very satisfying brew that I could drink all day. The mouthfeel was well-balanced with medium to light acidity, and nice lemony Brett tingle. Without question is a classic!!

4.8/5  rDev +6%

Huge thanks to hopdog for breaking out this expensive, much desired, bad-boy of Geuzes...
Appears a hazy, light golden with an orange hue. A small, white head fades into a mild cap. Mild spots of lacing are left around the glass.
Smell is horsey, funky, plasticy, with notes of tangerine, apple tartness, and sweet tart candies.
Taste mimics the aromas with a standout of citrus, green apple, and funk.
Mouthfeel is medium/light bodied, tartness lingering up front with citrus lingering in the finish.
If you're a fan of Gueuze's, consider this one at the top of the list.

I'm not sure what I can say about this gueuze other than 'perfection'. Full of complexity with a balanced acidity and sourness that make it incredibly easy to drink... almost too easy. I have been waiting to try this vintage for many years and it did not disappoint. Gueuzes are one of my favorite style of beer and while Drie Founteinen has always ranked as one of my favorites, this particular vintage blows the rest away. By far the best gueuze I have ever tasted. This is certainly the perfect gueuze.

4.28/5  rDev -5.5%

Like most traditional Gueuze and like Most Drie Fonteinen, this is pretty damn good stuff but compared to Drie Fonteinen’s 50th Anniversary Gueuze, which was consumed earlier in the day, it was clearly obvious that this was the lesser of the two. Hazy Nectarine. Aroma of lambic funk, grapefruit, horseblanket, wet oak and mold. In taste, very sour, as expected, more sour than their standard Gueuze and more sour than the 50th. Notes of grapefruit, lemon, horsetail, flies, shoe polish and leather. Fizzy, bursting bubbles on the palate. A good Gueuze.

4.85/5  rDev +7.1%

Towed this along to the BA gathering this past weekend. There were a few I made sure to keep track of so I could review, and as a lambic lover, I made damn sure this was one of them.

I removed the wire cage, holding my thumb over the cork, talking with a few other BAs, and about 15 seconds later, the cork exploded, gushing gueuze fizz all over my wife and the floor. Oops.

Massive head with a big, bubbly fizz that clings like loose cobwebs to the sides of my sample glass. Mellow, of course, compared to something like Cantillon, the sourness is the dominant aroma, but lemon grass and earthy, dirty wood are notable among the subtlties buried amidst the sea of acid.

Its burby acidity is fairly mellow on the tongue. I'm surprised at the level of citric flavor that makes its way though. Some cakey sweetness is evident only as the palate adjusts to the sourness. Lemon for sure. No significant bitterness, though this cleans up nicely. Incredible drinkability for a gueuze.

4.78/5  rDev +5.5%

Sampled August 2004
Pours a lightly hazy full gold color. Topped by a volcanic, rocky off-white head that is driven by an explosive carbonation that propelled the cork from the bottle. As I pour this brew an intoxicating aroma of fresh cut lemons and fresh earth wafts from my glass. As I smell deeper I get a full on Lambic grapefruit nose, it is joined by a fresh mushroom aroma of chanterelles as well as a certain damp-cellar smell. The aroma is just incredible and I am not doing it any justice by my description.

The beer erupts on the front of my tongue as I go in for the first taste. It has lots of grapefruit character, and is acidic, but mellowed a bit by age and destiny, though this is certainly only mellow by Lambic standards. I swirl my glass to get rid of some of the excessive carbonation. This beer is so light and spritzy, it is quite refreshing. The finish of this beer has a definite tannic note to it that gives this beer a certain teeth coating astringency that helps to balance the citric acidity. There is a nice earthy component here as well, almost a woody mushroom character. As it starts to warm up, I get aromatic hints of a strong barnyard funk.

The grapefruit character in this beer is quite unique for me, I have only tasted this in straight Lambics from the cask before. I really like that they decided to concentrate on this character for this Geuze, it makes this beer all the more refreshing. What a treat, I really love a good Lambic. I am quite disappointed that I have just started drinking my second and final cup of this. I certainly wish that I had more.

2.5/5  rDev -44.8%

Originally sampled on 8 March 2003. I am writing this review from my notes. I had this at Pizza Port Carlsbad's Belgian Beer party.
This brew assaults your mouth with sour and yeasty flavors. I guess it just wasn't my day to be drinking a gueuze, because I really didn't enjoy it that much. I'll have to try some other gueuzes

Drie Fonteinen Millennium Geuze from Brouwerij Drie Fonteinen