1. Extreme Beer Fest tickets go on sale Sat, Sep 27 @ Noon EDT.

Drie Fonteinen Millennium Geuze - Brouwerij Drie Fonteinen

Drie Fonteinen Millennium GeuzeDrie Fonteinen Millennium Geuze

Brouwerij Drie Fonteinen visit their website

Gueuze |  7.00% ABV

(Beer added by: truthbrew on 08-08-2003)
4.8/5  rDev +5.3%

Huge thanks to hopdog for breaking out this expensive, much desired, bad-boy of Geuzes...
Appears a hazy, light golden with an orange hue. A small, white head fades into a mild cap. Mild spots of lacing are left around the glass.
Smell is horsey, funky, plasticy, with notes of tangerine, apple tartness, and sweet tart candies.
Taste mimics the aromas with a standout of citrus, green apple, and funk.
Mouthfeel is medium/light bodied, tartness lingering up front with citrus lingering in the finish.
If you're a fan of Gueuze's, consider this one at the top of the list.

weeare138, Jul 12, 2007

I'm not sure what I can say about this gueuze other than 'perfection'. Full of complexity with a balanced acidity and sourness that make it incredibly easy to drink... almost too easy. I have been waiting to try this vintage for many years and it did not disappoint. Gueuzes are one of my favorite style of beer and while Drie Founteinen has always ranked as one of my favorites, this particular vintage blows the rest away. By far the best gueuze I have ever tasted. This is certainly the perfect gueuze.

eclectic, Mar 24, 2007
4.28/5  rDev -6.1%

Like most traditional Gueuze and like Most Drie Fonteinen, this is pretty damn good stuff but compared to Drie Fonteinen’s 50th Anniversary Gueuze, which was consumed earlier in the day, it was clearly obvious that this was the lesser of the two. Hazy Nectarine. Aroma of lambic funk, grapefruit, horseblanket, wet oak and mold. In taste, very sour, as expected, more sour than their standard Gueuze and more sour than the 50th. Notes of grapefruit, lemon, horsetail, flies, shoe polish and leather. Fizzy, bursting bubbles on the palate. A good Gueuze.

Crosling, Mar 17, 2006
4.85/5  rDev +6.4%

Towed this along to the BA gathering this past weekend. There were a few I made sure to keep track of so I could review, and as a lambic lover, I made damn sure this was one of them.

I removed the wire cage, holding my thumb over the cork, talking with a few other BAs, and about 15 seconds later, the cork exploded, gushing gueuze fizz all over my wife and the floor. Oops.

Massive head with a big, bubbly fizz that clings like loose cobwebs to the sides of my sample glass. Mellow, of course, compared to something like Cantillon, the sourness is the dominant aroma, but lemon grass and earthy, dirty wood are notable among the subtlties buried amidst the sea of acid.

Its burby acidity is fairly mellow on the tongue. I'm surprised at the level of citric flavor that makes its way though. Some cakey sweetness is evident only as the palate adjusts to the sourness. Lemon for sure. No significant bitterness, though this cleans up nicely. Incredible drinkability for a gueuze.

marburg, Nov 08, 2004
4.78/5  rDev +4.8%

Sampled August 2004
Pours a lightly hazy full gold color. Topped by a volcanic, rocky off-white head that is driven by an explosive carbonation that propelled the cork from the bottle. As I pour this brew an intoxicating aroma of fresh cut lemons and fresh earth wafts from my glass. As I smell deeper I get a full on Lambic grapefruit nose, it is joined by a fresh mushroom aroma of chanterelles as well as a certain damp-cellar smell. The aroma is just incredible and I am not doing it any justice by my description.

The beer erupts on the front of my tongue as I go in for the first taste. It has lots of grapefruit character, and is acidic, but mellowed a bit by age and destiny, though this is certainly only mellow by Lambic standards. I swirl my glass to get rid of some of the excessive carbonation. This beer is so light and spritzy, it is quite refreshing. The finish of this beer has a definite tannic note to it that gives this beer a certain teeth coating astringency that helps to balance the citric acidity. There is a nice earthy component here as well, almost a woody mushroom character. As it starts to warm up, I get aromatic hints of a strong barnyard funk.

The grapefruit character in this beer is quite unique for me, I have only tasted this in straight Lambics from the cask before. I really like that they decided to concentrate on this character for this Geuze, it makes this beer all the more refreshing. What a treat, I really love a good Lambic. I am quite disappointed that I have just started drinking my second and final cup of this. I certainly wish that I had more.

Gueuzedude, Aug 19, 2004
2.5/5  rDev -45.2%

Originally sampled on 8 March 2003. I am writing this review from my notes. I had this at Pizza Port Carlsbad's Belgian Beer party.
This brew assaults your mouth with sour and yeasty flavors. I guess it just wasn't my day to be drinking a gueuze, because I really didn't enjoy it that much. I'll have to try some other gueuzes

jcalabre, Aug 08, 2003