Drie Fonteinen Millennium Geuze - Brouwerij Drie Fonteinen

Drie Fonteinen Millennium GeuzeDrie Fonteinen Millennium Geuze

Brouwerij Drie Fonteinen visit their website

Gueuze |  7.00% ABV

(Beer added by: truthbrew on 08-08-2003)

4.88/5  rDev +7.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.75

750ml from Lambic basket into 3 Fonteinen glass at Grote Dorst

This is the empyrean, the height of my ticking career. I took 2 trains, a bus, and was given a ride the rest of the way by a local baker and his son who did me a solid. In other words, don't be a dumbass like me and rent a car. When I finally got there I was greeted by a convivial scene: a small, local, family-run pub that happens to house one of the great Lambic and Gueuze cellars. Did I mention it was hot as balls? Now that my novella is over, to the beer:

Cloudy off yellow with ample head and good lacing. This one was a bit of a gusher? The only other thing to say about this beer is how well rounded and delicious it was. Worth the hassel. And I could have drank a bucket of it, it was so goddamn hot.
Go soon as I think this was one of the last bottles at Grote Dorst.

4.91/5  rDev +8.4%
look: 4.75 | smell: 5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

750 ml bottle at Grote Dorst, bottled in 1998, served in a wine glass.

A- Pours a hazy golden color, with an 1.5 inches of billowing white head, really awesome retention and lacing.

S- Just ridiculously awesome. At first it's very dominated by a soft, earthy, damp wood / forest floor funkiness, also some dry hay / sawdust funk. Some honey and a bit of mineral flavor. As it warms up a very prominent and distinct pear aroma comes out, which I don't think I've ever gotten in a gueuze before. This has got to be one of the most complex aromas I've ever found in any lambic or gueuze.

T- Soft acidity, very lactic and dry along with a bit of lemon. Way less sour than I was expecting. Much more emphasis on damp, earthy, forest floor funkiness. Mild herbal flavors. Some chalkiness / mineral flavor towards the finish. I'm a huge fan of 3F's forest floor funky flavors, so this was pretty perfect for me.

M- Medium-bodied, soft feel with moderate carbonation, very dry at the finish.

O- Just an amazing beer. Huge complexity and wonderful flavors, especially focusing on the earthy funk flavors really did it for me. Of all the old 3F beers from this period, this has held up the best and is easily my favorite. One of the best lambics I've had.

4.25/5  rDev -6.2%

4.25/5  rDev -6.2%

4.2/5  rDev -7.3%

224th Review
75cl bottle shared by forgetfu (thanks Bill!) at the Sour & Bitter dinner in Copenhagen
Poured in a wine tumbler
Enjoyed on 10 May 2012

A: Bright orangish yellow. 3+ (bright, cloud fluff white) fingernail head on gentle pour. Looks proper!

S: Barnyard funk, matured cheese, hay, must, lemon, and slight woodiness. Quite nice.

T: Taste is rounded, but very, very soft for a geuze. Notes of citrus, barnyard must, and touch of funk. Puckering tartness overshadows most of these notes though. Bummer because I had high hopes for this based on the smell. Such goes life though.

M: Light/medium body with full carbonation.

O: Unfortunately for me, I didn't enjoy this beer as much as I had hoped. It was good, but not great. The balance seemed a bit off and the dry tartness was too overpowering at times. I'd love to try it again at some point, but I prefer plenty of Armand's other geuzes more than this. Still fun to try though!

4.5/5  rDev -0.7%

We got ourselves a bottle of this to share at the Sour & Bitter festival in Copenhagen last weekend. I ended up getting a second pour from someone else that evening, so cheers for sharing man. This beer was just fantastic.

From a 75cl bottle into a beer glass.

APPEARANCE: Pours a large, fluffy, medium looking white head with great retention. Cloudy gamboge orange in color. Head recedes to a nice wisp that remains all the way and leaves some light lacing down the glass. Looks great for twelve years of age.

SMELL: A milder nose on this one with funky aromas, hay, as well as lemon and citrus tones. Some white wine shows through as well as some touches of green apples. Nice, though slightly mild at this point. This is really the only thing keeping it from being other-worldly.

TASTE: This is outstanding. Much bolder and more impressive than the nose had advertised. Funky barnyard flavors, hay, and plenty of lemon and citrus flavors as an accompaniment. Some sweet melon flavors and sweet-sour green apples sets it appart from the others in this style. A sweet-sour middle leads into a very smooth, bold and lingering aftertaste that's balanced superbly between sour funk, fruity sweetness and a touch of floral bitterness as well. Melon, citrus, green apples and a plesant sourness linger nicely. A world class treat.

PALATE: Medium body and medium carbonation. Very creamy smooth on the palate, goes down smooth and finishes slightly dry. Very creamy and goes down effortlessly.

OVERALL: Absolutely outstanding. Of the gueuze I've tried so far, this one, unfortunately enough, is my definite favorite. The wonderful balance between funky sourness, fruity sweetness and a light floral bitterness very enjoyable and sets it appart from many of the others in this style. The creamy smooth palate makes it very easy to drink as well. Though I won't hold my breath, this is one I'd love to have again at some point. Very glad to have had the chance to drink this and it was every bit as good as I'd heard. Thanks for bringing this along Armand. True class.

4.83/5  rDev +6.6%

Tasting 4/14/2012, thanks drabmuh!

Appearance: cloudy golden pour, thin white head and lacing
Smell: Delicious funk, touches of earth and cheese.
Taste: Delicious, great funkiness that has really developed, nice acidity. Exemplary of the style and very well rounded between the earth notes, funk and sour
Mouthfeel: moderate body and carbonation, very enjoyable.
Overall: Great blend, worthy of a special occasion

4.95/5  rDev +9.3%

I purchased a case of this in 1999, and if you read the back of the bottle you will see that it is not to be consumed until 2010. I first tasted this brilliant geuze on New Years 2000. The cork could barely stay in the bottle after removing the wire restraint. The taste was too overwhelming in every category due to its youth, I felt like I got a tongue lashing, which made me give it an underwhelming review. I then tasted it again in 2005, and was mildly surprised at the changes it had undergone, especially the smooth, sharp flavoring t produced. In 2010 I had 4 bottles left and drank 2 on New Years. DeCam and 3 Fonteinen were right, the wait was worth it. I have yet to taste a better geuze and I have over 100 different geuzes in my cellar ranging in age from 5 - 25 years. I still have 2Millenium bottles in my cellar waiting for that special occasion. Wouldn't part with them for any money. I strongly recommend that if you get your hands on one you drink it alone and maybe have some nice steamed mussels on the side.

4.45/5  rDev -1.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

I picked up a bottle of this at Sour and Bitter in Copenhagen. Extremely excited to get to try this beer.

Appearance: Pours a cloudy golden amber color with two fingers of thick off white head that fades to a ring around the edge of the glass.

Smell: Lemon tartness and a very strong funk presence. Slightly sweet in the background. Very smooth and complex.

Taste: The age has smoothed things out (I assume, it's not like I've had this beer fresh). There is a mineral funkiness along with a lemon juice tartness. The finish is very sour. There may be a mild aged hop note as well. This is a complex beer.

Mouthfeel: Medium body with very smooth carbonation and a dry finish.

Overall: This beer is extremely easy to drink. Very smooth but very tart. Not biting at all. I feel very fortunate to have been able to try this beer.

4.58/5  rDev +1.1%

One of my biggest all time whale wants. Perhaps not the most difficult whale but still, amazing. Served along side a couple of other beers. This beer served in a Drie Fonteinen Gueuze tumbler.

Beer is yellow and hazy with a white head, heavily carbonated, strong aggressive pop that sent the cork flying. Head has some retention but not really. Some lacing, looks good.

Aroma is one of the best smelling beers from 3F on the night, sulfur, tart, oak, strong oak, funk, earth, dirt, brett, mild acetic bite.

Beer is light in body and really delivers, sour, strong, tart, dry finish, thinning out due to carbonation, overall a great beer. I'd definitely have this again.

4.53/5  rDev 0%

Shared by drabmuh at our insane sour and wild ales tasting on April 14, 2012. Thanks Matt! Served alongside Drie Fonteinen 1998 50th Anniversary and 1999 Oude Gueze.

The beer is fairly hazy and rusty yellow hued with a quarter inch of white head. Pretty standard appearance for 3F. The aroma brings hay, citrus, funk, farm, a bit of age (in a positive fashion). The flavor really takes it up a notch. This was easily my favorite of this mini vertical. Outstanding balance and a long lasting, delicate, tart finish. Earth and citrus flavors are extremely well done. What a treat.

Drie Fonteinen Millennium Geuze from Brouwerij Drie Fonteinen