Drie Fonteinen Millennium Geuze - Brouwerij Drie Fonteinen

Drie Fonteinen Millennium GeuzeDrie Fonteinen Millennium Geuze

Brouwerij Drie Fonteinen visit their website

Gueuze |  7.00% ABV

(Beer added by: truthbrew on 08-08-2003)
4.88/5  rDev +7%

750ml from Lambic basket into 3 Fonteinen glass at Grote Dorst

This is the empyrean, the height of my ticking career. I took 2 trains, a bus, and was given a ride the rest of the way by a local baker and his son who did me a solid. In other words, don't be a dumbass like me and rent a car. When I finally got there I was greeted by a convivial scene: a small, local, family-run pub that happens to house one of the great Lambic and Gueuze cellars. Did I mention it was hot as balls? Now that my novella is over, to the beer:

Cloudy off yellow with ample head and good lacing. This one was a bit of a gusher? The only other thing to say about this beer is how well rounded and delicious it was. Worth the hassel. And I could have drank a bucket of it, it was so goddamn hot.
Go soon as I think this was one of the last bottles at Grote Dorst.

dsgolovin, Jul 07, 2013

Mbrown44, Jun 30, 2013
4.91/5  rDev +7.7%

750 ml bottle at Grote Dorst, bottled in 1998, served in a wine glass.

A- Pours a hazy golden color, with an 1.5 inches of billowing white head, really awesome retention and lacing.

S- Just ridiculously awesome. At first it's very dominated by a soft, earthy, damp wood / forest floor funkiness, also some dry hay / sawdust funk. Some honey and a bit of mineral flavor. As it warms up a very prominent and distinct pear aroma comes out, which I don't think I've ever gotten in a gueuze before. This has got to be one of the most complex aromas I've ever found in any lambic or gueuze.

T- Soft acidity, very lactic and dry along with a bit of lemon. Way less sour than I was expecting. Much more emphasis on damp, earthy, forest floor funkiness. Mild herbal flavors. Some chalkiness / mineral flavor towards the finish. I'm a huge fan of 3F's forest floor funky flavors, so this was pretty perfect for me.

M- Medium-bodied, soft feel with moderate carbonation, very dry at the finish.

O- Just an amazing beer. Huge complexity and wonderful flavors, especially focusing on the earthy funk flavors really did it for me. Of all the old 3F beers from this period, this has held up the best and is easily my favorite. One of the best lambics I've had.

WillCarrera, Jun 26, 2013

t0rin0, Sep 02, 2012

DJButters, Jul 18, 2012
4.2/5  rDev -7.9%

224th Review
75cl bottle shared by forgetfu (thanks Bill!) at the Sour & Bitter dinner in Copenhagen
Poured in a wine tumbler
Enjoyed on 10 May 2012

A: Bright orangish yellow. 3+ (bright, cloud fluff white) fingernail head on gentle pour. Looks proper!

S: Barnyard funk, matured cheese, hay, must, lemon, and slight woodiness. Quite nice.

T: Taste is rounded, but very, very soft for a geuze. Notes of citrus, barnyard must, and touch of funk. Puckering tartness overshadows most of these notes though. Bummer because I had high hopes for this based on the smell. Such goes life though.

M: Light/medium body with full carbonation.

O: Unfortunately for me, I didn't enjoy this beer as much as I had hoped. It was good, but not great. The balance seemed a bit off and the dry tartness was too overpowering at times. I'd love to try it again at some point, but I prefer plenty of Armand's other geuzes more than this. Still fun to try though!

spdyfire83, Jun 22, 2012
4.5/5  rDev -1.3%

We got ourselves a bottle of this to share at the Sour & Bitter festival in Copenhagen last weekend. I ended up getting a second pour from someone else that evening, so cheers for sharing man. This beer was just fantastic.

From a 75cl bottle into a beer glass.

APPEARANCE: Pours a large, fluffy, medium looking white head with great retention. Cloudy gamboge orange in color. Head recedes to a nice wisp that remains all the way and leaves some light lacing down the glass. Looks great for twelve years of age.

SMELL: A milder nose on this one with funky aromas, hay, as well as lemon and citrus tones. Some white wine shows through as well as some touches of green apples. Nice, though slightly mild at this point. This is really the only thing keeping it from being other-worldly.

TASTE: This is outstanding. Much bolder and more impressive than the nose had advertised. Funky barnyard flavors, hay, and plenty of lemon and citrus flavors as an accompaniment. Some sweet melon flavors and sweet-sour green apples sets it appart from the others in this style. A sweet-sour middle leads into a very smooth, bold and lingering aftertaste that's balanced superbly between sour funk, fruity sweetness and a touch of floral bitterness as well. Melon, citrus, green apples and a plesant sourness linger nicely. A world class treat.

PALATE: Medium body and medium carbonation. Very creamy smooth on the palate, goes down smooth and finishes slightly dry. Very creamy and goes down effortlessly.

OVERALL: Absolutely outstanding. Of the gueuze I've tried so far, this one, unfortunately enough, is my definite favorite. The wonderful balance between funky sourness, fruity sweetness and a light floral bitterness very enjoyable and sets it appart from many of the others in this style. The creamy smooth palate makes it very easy to drink as well. Though I won't hold my breath, this is one I'd love to have again at some point. Very glad to have had the chance to drink this and it was every bit as good as I'd heard. Thanks for bringing this along Armand. True class.

Jeffo, May 18, 2012
4.83/5  rDev +5.9%

Tasting 4/14/2012, thanks drabmuh!

Appearance: cloudy golden pour, thin white head and lacing
Smell: Delicious funk, touches of earth and cheese.
Taste: Delicious, great funkiness that has really developed, nice acidity. Exemplary of the style and very well rounded between the earth notes, funk and sour
Mouthfeel: moderate body and carbonation, very enjoyable.
Overall: Great blend, worthy of a special occasion

craytonic, May 17, 2012
4.95/5  rDev +8.6%

I purchased a case of this in 1999, and if you read the back of the bottle you will see that it is not to be consumed until 2010. I first tasted this brilliant geuze on New Years 2000. The cork could barely stay in the bottle after removing the wire restraint. The taste was too overwhelming in every category due to its youth, I felt like I got a tongue lashing, which made me give it an underwhelming review. I then tasted it again in 2005, and was mildly surprised at the changes it had undergone, especially the smooth, sharp flavoring t produced. In 2010 I had 4 bottles left and drank 2 on New Years. DeCam and 3 Fonteinen were right, the wait was worth it. I have yet to taste a better geuze and I have over 100 different geuzes in my cellar ranging in age from 5 - 25 years. I still have 2Millenium bottles in my cellar waiting for that special occasion. Wouldn't part with them for any money. I strongly recommend that if you get your hands on one you drink it alone and maybe have some nice steamed mussels on the side.

qumrangeorge, May 17, 2012
4.45/5  rDev -2.4%

I picked up a bottle of this at Sour and Bitter in Copenhagen. Extremely excited to get to try this beer.

Appearance: Pours a cloudy golden amber color with two fingers of thick off white head that fades to a ring around the edge of the glass.

Smell: Lemon tartness and a very strong funk presence. Slightly sweet in the background. Very smooth and complex.

Taste: The age has smoothed things out (I assume, it's not like I've had this beer fresh). There is a mineral funkiness along with a lemon juice tartness. The finish is very sour. There may be a mild aged hop note as well. This is a complex beer.

Mouthfeel: Medium body with very smooth carbonation and a dry finish.

Overall: This beer is extremely easy to drink. Very smooth but very tart. Not biting at all. I feel very fortunate to have been able to try this beer.

oline73, May 17, 2012
4.58/5  rDev +0.4%

One of my biggest all time whale wants. Perhaps not the most difficult whale but still, amazing. Served along side a couple of other beers. This beer served in a Drie Fonteinen Gueuze tumbler.

Beer is yellow and hazy with a white head, heavily carbonated, strong aggressive pop that sent the cork flying. Head has some retention but not really. Some lacing, looks good.

Aroma is one of the best smelling beers from 3F on the night, sulfur, tart, oak, strong oak, funk, earth, dirt, brett, mild acetic bite.

Beer is light in body and really delivers, sour, strong, tart, dry finish, thinning out due to carbonation, overall a great beer. I'd definitely have this again.

drabmuh, Apr 23, 2012
4.53/5  rDev -0.7%

Shared by drabmuh at our insane sour and wild ales tasting on April 14, 2012. Thanks Matt! Served alongside Drie Fonteinen 1998 50th Anniversary and 1999 Oude Gueze.

The beer is fairly hazy and rusty yellow hued with a quarter inch of white head. Pretty standard appearance for 3F. The aroma brings hay, citrus, funk, farm, a bit of age (in a positive fashion). The flavor really takes it up a notch. This was easily my favorite of this mini vertical. Outstanding balance and a long lasting, delicate, tart finish. Earth and citrus flavors are extremely well done. What a treat.

Huhzubendah, Apr 22, 2012
4.58/5  rDev +0.4%

From 04/14/12 notes. Big thanks to drabmuh for sharing this one at our DC Sour Tasting. Served side by side with the '98 50th Aniiversary Gueze and a '99 gueze. This was my favorite of the three.

a - Pours a hazy dark yellow orange color with one inch of white head and moderate carbonation evident. Looks like the other two, pretty nice.

s - Smells of sour fruits, a ton of funk, earthy notes, hay, light floral notes, spice. Lots of funk and sourness, much better then the 50th Anniversary Gueze.

t - Tastes of funk, oak, sour fruits, fruity malts, earthy ntoes, dirt, hay, floral notes. Not quite as funky as the nose but still awesome taste to it.

m - Medium body and moderate carbonation. Smooth and very easy to drink.

o - Overall I thought this was an awesome beer; super funky and sour, especially in the nose. Easy to drink, an awesome beer that was head and soulders above the '98 50th. Would love to try again.

mdfb79, Apr 20, 2012
4.63/5  rDev +1.5%

Bottle at the DC Lambic & Sour Tasting on April 14, 2012. Served in a Drie Fonteinen old-school fountains gueuze tumbler. Huge thanks to drabmuh for bringing this bottle.

Pours a somewhat-cloudy golden color with a thin white head with moderate retention and a spot or two of lace. Thin collar as the head eventually falls.

The nose brings forward loads of funk with some light basement and faint cheese notes plus a hefty dose of general 3F earthiness. Light acidity lingering in the background along with a touch of oxidized malt.

The flavor is equally as impressive with a subdued acidity and plenty of up-front funkiness. Great interaction of Brett- and bacteria-derived character. This really took is up a level from the 1998 50th Anniversary.

The mouthfeel was the best aspect of the beer. No surprise for a vintage Drie Fonteinen gueuze. The body was medium in texture with light-moderate acidity on the back of moderate-to-heavy funk. Light carbonation and a dry finish. Acidity was quite smooth.

Really just an outstanding blend from Armand that has really, really stood the test of time. A fantastic experience. Thanks again, Matt.

Thorpe429, Apr 18, 2012
4.3/5  rDev -5.7%

Enjoyed at Monk's Cafe Beers of the Cellar event. This gueuze rests in the glass clear yellow without head. Acidic sour aroma, malty with some barnyard funk and wheat. Crazy sour taste with a nice malt backbone. Completely focused on sour: acidic and delicious. Light body, minimal carbonation. I like the drinkability because I’m in love with sours. I had heard of this beer before, and I'm pretty glad I got to try it. Never thought I would, thanks Tom!

russwbeck, Apr 11, 2012
4.71/5  rDev +3.3%

Review #450!! Huge thanks to Kramer for bringing this long time want of mine to our recent gueuze tasting. Served right beside the four Armand'4's.

A - Pours golden orange with a beautiful one and a half finger tall white head leaving thin streaks of lace down the glass. A very nice looking beer.

S - Smells of musty basement funk, bit of funky cheese, oak, touch of herbs, vinous grape skins and a bit of citric fruit. A very intoxicating smell.

T - Starts off with a big dose of musty basement funk slowly giving way to hints of damp earth, oak, herbs and some vinous grape skin. Very little oxidation for being this old. Nice balance of funk to sour, leaving the pallet bone dry long after consumption.

M - Medium-Light body and flavor with moderate carbonation. Crisp, dry feel with quite a bit of dryness clinging to the pallet long after the finish. Carb is a touch high but I prefer it that way.

O - Well this one really lived up to its billing. The balance of flavors is nearly flawless and it is exceptionally easy to drink. Easily one of the best gueuzes I have ever tried. Thanks again Kramer!

orangesol, Feb 16, 2012
4.18/5  rDev -8.3%

Big thanks to Kramer for sharing this at a recent tasting. This was a brew I sort of wrote off as probably not getting a chance to try. Very excited to have this.

The brew pours a clear golden color with a finger of white froth. A light swirl revives a finger of off-white head that produces some spots of lace on the glass. Rising bubbles of carbonation maintain the cap right up until the last sip.

The smell is musty reminiscent of cork and old barrels. Cheesy funk is intermingled with some sulfur and a grain inclusion that is somewhat hay-like. Across the back end is a bit of herbal aspect that wraps this all up. Each whiff seemingly brings out a new level of character to take in.

The taste is dry and earthy with a bit of cork and must. There is a lot of barrel flavoring going on in this with some sulfur and herbal bitterness to break it up. There is a bit of dusty quality going on in the aftertaste which is unique. This was much more drying to the finish and more herbal, not necessarily bitter, than I was expecting.

This is a medium to light bodied brew with a perfect level of carbonation. For a slightly elevated abv from the normal 3f offering, it was masterfully hidden. The dryness and ease of drinkability are to be noted. I am super thankful to Kramer for having shared this long time want. Even though it is a landmark offering from 3F, I don't think I would pay the heavy toll this brew demands when their baseline offering is so well done as well.

stakem, Jan 17, 2012
4.8/5  rDev +5.3%

Pours a hazy orange-ish color with a light tan head. In the aroma, quite tart, with a note of fruitiness. In the taste, tart, and a dry mix of peach skin and white grape fruitiness. A small sour bite and medium to lighter bodied mouthfeel, with a dry, tart peach like note in the aftertaste. Dry and tart, nice fruit presence, and I LOVED IT!

OWSLEY069, Jan 14, 2012