Follow our progress ...

Availability: Spring

Added by billhelm on 04-18-2014

Reviews: 2 | Ratings: 26
3.49/5  rDev -3.1%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

Fulton The Expat Rye Saison.

Slightly clouded, dark amber coloring, with a sizable, snowy head, long lasting.

Aroma: Sweet and spicy rye malt hits the nose first, Pumpernickle-y.

Taste: A blast of Belgian yeast character and rye malt in the mouth. Citrus-y, spicy, tingly and tasty. Fresh and zesty. A lot of lemon in this one, and quite a lot of spice. Might be too much for some, but I don't mind it. On the other hand, I'm not exactly thrilled. For this trio of Fulton's saison I've reviewed recently, this one is firmly in second place, behind the Randonneur, the only one that doesn't veer too far away from the traditional aspects of the style.

There's nothing really wrong with this one, it's a nice beer, but it only makes me wish I had a true saison in my hands. It's a fine drink, my friends, but it doesn't really improve upon the style.

3.6/5  rDev 0%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

Lots of dark fruit which lends the malt body an Irish Red Ale type aroma and taste, although the funky, slightly tart yeast does make it clear this is a Saison. Spicy rye finish, with some more Irish Red Ale characteristics muddying up the aftertaste. Decent overall, but the odd mix makes it not as refreshing as many Saisons.

The Expat from Fulton Beer
- out of 100 based on 2 ratings.