Sweet Child Of Vine - Fulton Beer

Fulton Beer visit their website
Minnesota, United States

English India Pale Ale (IPA) |  6.40% ABV

Beer added by: hardy008 on 02-20-2010

Generous quantities of Simcoe and Glacier hops are added throughout the boil. Then, late in fermentation, we infuse the Sweet Child with another dose of Glaciers, imparting a bouquet of hop aroma that veritably bursts forth upon serving.

6.4% ABV
69 IBUs
15.8 Plato
12.5 SRM
1.34/5  rDev -62.1%

Came out pretty dark, a mix of brown and amber, decent 1" head on it. Wasn't really giving away how rough it would be. But then there was the first whiff. Whoa. Like the sawdust used when someone puked in elementary school with a spoiled butter glaze added to it. Nothing in the way of hops, made me think this was either/and infected with diacetyl already, but then I thought maybe it was like 99% glacier and 1% simcoe or who knows, it was a disturbing aroma for any beer, much less an ipa, the sweetest of all smelling beers.

Taste, just awful. No hops, nothing was discernable but a terrible mouthfeel unlike any appropriate beer, massive off flavor envelopes the entire drinking experience. I was only able to stomach about 2oz of this. It was awful. Judging from the taste of the beer, the other awful beers I've had in my lifetime, specifically infected ones, something went bad here. Puree a manilla folder, a little sawdust, vinegar, vegetable oil based margerine, and an unidentified beer, and that's what I got here.

Was really excited to try this beer, got it as an extra in a trade, but damn, this is Kennebunkport-esque in terms of bad for an ipa. The thing is, I've had numerous K-port ipas, and they're just bad, this beer, was infected, so hopefully I'll have another opportunity to have one of these under proper conditions. (1,345 characters)

1.57/5  rDev -55.6%

Dark brown, cloudy, minimal/no head. Had on tap in Minneapolis at multiple locations over last two weeks (March '13).

Heavy malt, very lightly hopped for an IPA. As others have said, a more "balanced" IPA, with malt foregrounded and a hint of hops more suited to a lighter style of beer. Easy drinker, more like a session beer than an IPA despite the high alcohol content.

Notable cloudy with yeasty "off" taste. Noticed at different locations (I stopped ordering SC after my second bad one in March, but tried a friend's at a third location and it too tasted wonky). Had an off, belgian-y flavor of wild yeast or other production mishap. I originally attributed it to dirty glassware or "stale beer in the lines", but three bad experiences proved this false.

Sweet Child has varied widely in consistency since its inception — sometimes not tasting like the same beer from month to month.

While I prefer some of the other local Minnesota IPAs to (normal) Sweet Child — notably Surly Furious and Town Hall Masala Mama — I would add Fulton to the mix occasionally when I wanted a maltier, less hoppy IPA. But widely distributing a beer this far off the mark is seriously not cool — Fulton has lost me as a customer. (1,230 characters)

1.93/5  rDev -45.5%

No freshness dating on the bottle but this has only been bottled for a week now.

A= Pours a nice deep amber color with a small non existant head on it that falls to a ring around the glass. Nothing too interesting. I've had it on tap before and it at least looked better.

S= The smell has a sort of green smell to it. It smells like a brewery when you walk into it actually or the bubbling of a homebrew. Hops and grainy malt. A somewhat subtle nose on it as far as IPAs go however.

T= The taste is again sort of odd for an IPA. Definitally on the maltier side of an IPA. The hops are pretty small and I feel like a raw grain character is more dominate than the hops.

M= Too high on the carbonation and the taste doesn't linger like most good IPAs.

O= I've had this on tap and it was much much better. I was at a beer dabbler event so I didn't bother to take notes or write reviews on it. This however is a much different beer. The flavor is muted and the hops don't dominate like most IPAs. This is more of a strong pale ale or something. Really not an IPA and really different than I remember it being on tap. (1,117 characters)

2.26/5  rDev -36.2%

Poured from a bottle into imperial pint. Foam falls fast with a little cling.

Molasses and butterscotch dominate aroma, very little hops in the nose.

Toffee, caramel and burnt sugars with a firm bitter back bone.

I liked this one better on tap, much more balanced. (267 characters)

2.58/5  rDev -27.1%

received this as an extra and always excited to try new beers. however i would of guessed this to be more an english mild bitter than an english ipa. a dark copper body with next to no head or lacing. the smell is very sweet with mostly caramel and bready malts, cant pick out any hops. taste is just as swet as the nose making this a malt bomb. mouthfeel is thin with a little spice like a mild bitter beer. if you like sweet beers this is easy drinkin, if not stay away. and dont expect much for hops in this one. (515 characters)

2.94/5  rDev -16.9%

Poured from a tap into a pint at Bryant-Lake Bowl in Minneapolis, Minn. Color was dark orange, close to copper. About an inch and a half of head with some film/lacing (see feel below).

Bitter smell, but not as hoppy as I would of thought. Some caramel or some similar smell. Couldn’t get the best nose as I wanted to. A bit bland.

Tasted nothing like an IPA - the hops just didn’t come through at all. Caramel flavor with some citrus in there. Couldn’t pinpoint the citrus flavor. Not sure why all the struggles here.

Average carbonation. Decent finish. I’ve never seen so much lacing on a beer. Luckily I like it.

Not a bad beer overall. I think I need to give this one another go. Just wasn’t getting it going here. (735 characters)

2.98/5  rDev -15.8%

The pour is sort of a dark amber color with a white head. Quite malty and sweet with minimal hop aroma. A hint of floral hops and maybe a touch of citrus peel. The flavor is similarly lacking in the hop department. Bread and toffee are the prominent flavors with a little caramel, too. Mild floral hop flavor and very little in the way of bitterness. (350 characters)

Light brown in color with excellent clarity. There's a fingernail of white foam covers the majority of the top of the beer. Brussels lacing. The hop aroma is faint at best. There's little aroma. There's a faint hop flavor present but it is fairly balanced with the malt presence. The body is moderately carbonated and slightly sticky. (342 characters)

Bottle courtesy of dougofthefuture. Served in a Bruery tulip.

Pours a nice amber-copper color with a thin white head that very quickly recedes into a thin collar. The nose has some slight floral elements along with a lot of bread and some caramel. Very reminiscent of Dogfish 60. Flavor is similar with more of a malt emphasis. Even for an English IPA, this is really malt heavy. Very slight dryness to the finish. Brew itself is rather chewy. Decent enough, but nothing out of the ordinary. (492 characters)

Hazy dark amber with a small head and no lacing. Smells of grapefruit and pine. Not much malt detectable, although it is there. The taste is grapefruit and some pine. I believe Simcoe and Glacier hops are used.

The flavors and aroma are a little to subtle for me. The hops and malt backbone are somewhat muted. I could really tell how muted they were when I had a Furious after I finished the Sweet Child of Vine.

Medium mouthfeel, medium to high carbonation. Nice bitter finish. Not bad, but not the best I have had either. I wish the flavors and aroma were bolder. (569 characters)

3.06/5  rDev -13.6%

I had this on-tap at the brewery. Served in a standard pint glass.

Appearance: Beer pours a cloudy amber color with a layer of fluffy off white head. The head fades and leave some lacing on the glass.

Smell: Slightly sweet with mild hops and malt. More malt here than I would have expected. Decent, but not overly interesting.

Taste: More hops here than there were in the smell. Citrus peel hops backed up by some sweet malt. I'm also getting some juicy citrus notes. The hop taste seems a bit muddles. The finish is bitter.

Mouthfeel: Medium body with foamy carbonation and a slightly dry finish.

Overall: Not an overly impressive IPA. I thought it was a bit weird. I don't think I need another one. (705 characters)

3.18/5  rDev -10.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.25

One more for the Twin Cities airport beer tour. Poured from a bottle into a silly Sam Adams perfect pint tulip by the bartender. Bottle disposed of in a flash. Oh well. Sweet Child of Vine - cool name. Makes it sound more like a wine, but I suppose hops grow on a vine as well. The label makes much ado of the amount of hops in this brew, so looking forward to this...

A: Medium golden with amber tine. Off white head of about 1.5 fingers. Impressive lacing. 1/4 finger of head at 2 minutes. Good looking brew.

S: Piney hop. Malt. Suprisingly sweet nose. Overall somewhat subdued. Not a lot of individual characteristics jumping out at me. Contaminated a bit by the bar glassware.

T: Suprisingly malty and sweet to start with a slow build to a moderate-to-light hop bitterness. Semi-dry finish. I am a bit underwhelmed with the hop character and presence. Fairly round and indistinct, in a manner similar to the smell. More malt than I prefer. Light pine. A bit of acidity/tartness in the aftertaste.

M: Moderate to high carbonation. Bit prickly. Medium to light body. Eh.

O: For all the label/description fanfare regarding the hopping of this beer, not much of it came across in the scents and flavors. Looks good, but not much of a drinker. Bubbles in excess. Probably won't be going out of my way to revisit. (1,319 characters)

3.21/5  rDev -9.3%

My first experience with this relatively new Twin Cities brewery. Love the beer's name, hoping I like the beer itself as much. Bottle has no date, but I know it's pretty fresh cause they just started bottling.

Pours a clear coppery amber. Half-finger of off-white head, dissipates fairly quickly but leaves good lacing. Some carbonation visible, not much.

Smell is heavier on bready malts than anything else. I really don't pick up much hops in the nose at all - in fact, I have to work to find them. A hint of pine, which faded fairly quickly after the pour.

Taste is slightly odd for an IPA. Again, I don't get much of hops at all, except for a mild bitterness that comes on late. I could say it's balanced, but I think it would be more accurate to say that it's bland. Nothing specifically bad about it, but I don't have a whole lot of positives either.

Mouthfeel is good. Medium-bodied, a bit sticky. Carbonation on the low side.

I'm feeling underwhelmed by this beer. Maybe I had unreasonable expectations due to my anticipation about the brewery. But regardless, it's rather dull, with low hop presence and nothing really remarkable. Where's the flavor? (1,164 characters)

3.23/5  rDev -8.8%

Beer pours light amber in color with a tan head.

Aroma is nothing exceptional, nothing pops out, just a general hippy aroma.

Bitter and piney, not much of an aftertaste. Maybe a little too sweet which keeps the hops from really coming through. Too much caramel malt.

Somewhat sticky, medium to light body, not as well carbonated as it could be.

An okay beer. There are so many IPAs that you have to be great just to make it on the top 100 lost. This beer is ok, not great. (477 characters)

3.24/5  rDev -8.5%
look: 2.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Served on-draught into a 16 oz glass at the Happy Gnome in St. Paul. Cost was $6.00. Reviewed from notes taken around Thanksgiving 2012. I'd had this before in bottled form.

A: Pours a khaki floater of nice cream and thickness. Retention is poor. I'm not impressed with the lack of head. Colour is a noncommital copper-tangerine. No yeast particles are visible. No bubble show.

Sm: Floral notes, grapefruit citrus fruit esters, clean pale malts, and nectar. A mild to average strength aroma.

T: Nectary malty sweetness, floral hops, and indistinct fruit. Clean and fruity, with diverse floral character. Nicely balanced and built. A bit simple, but pleasant and enjoyable.

Mf: Smooth and wet. Nectary. A bit sticky. Crisp. Clean. Suits the flavours nicely.

Dr: Drinkable and pleasant. A nice beer on draught. Passable for an IPA, but not extraordinary. Not unique or special. I appreciate its balance.

C+ (915 characters)

3.25/5  rDev -8.2%

On-tap at Cheeky Monkey; served in a shaker pint.

Slightly hazy ECE/SAE amber body with a thin ivory cap. Average retention, vague lacing.

Honey and citrus in the nose along with weak pale malt notes.

Mild passion-fruit, caramel, wildflowers and alfalfa on the palate. Mild bitterness with a touch of perfume. Sticky, rock-candy-like finish.

Decent carbonation, brisk, light, yet somewhat oily.

Weak "flat" flavor profile doesn't do justice to either style this tries to incorporate. No real off notes, but the brewer has produced a bland product in an attempt at something sessionable. (592 characters)

3.26/5  rDev -7.9%

Finally, this gets added. I was about to throw away my notes because I never thought this would be added to the database.

I had this after the homecoming game against Michigan State on Halloween. I remember this because the guys from Fulton were handing out t-shirts for "costumes."

Served in a plastic cup, as always is the case on game days. Hazy murky amber color with a one finger off-white light tan head. Decent retention, and leaves some decent lacing.

The nose isn't nearly as hoppy as I thought it would be. For a beer named Sweet Child of Vine, I expected dank, floral and citrus hop aromas to dominate, but they are actually very light and subtle. I get a sweet malt backbone that stands out more than anything.

Taste is much of the same, light floral hops, with a stronger caramel malt backbone. I was expecting something hoppier, but to be honest this is hopped like a Pale Ale, certainly not an IPA. Subtle and not what I was looking for.

Mouthfeel is light to medium, but smooth and creamy. Drinkability is pretty good, partly because the mouthfeel kicks it up a notch.

Overall, kind of disapointed with this out of Fulton. I was looking for a really citrus and floral hopped IPA, and I didn't get it. I still have high hopes for the brewery, because their other offerings look tasty. I think this just needs to be tweaked just a little but, but then again I'm not the brewer. (1,397 characters)

3.26/5  rDev -7.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Light bronzy gold hue, quite clear with a smallish densely foam capping of off-white foam. Keeps a slender collar and a few spots of lace.

Aroma is nearly missing entirely; I wiff, and wiff, and wiff, and there's not much there. A bit of clean cereal grain sweetness and a puff of hops.

Taste is simple yet ample enough for some good easy drinking; as I can see downing quite a few of these in the warmer months. Overall the taste level isn't very big though, but what is there is good enough for what it is, light, clean malt base of light grainy sweetness and a tiny toastyness twisted on top along with a bit of super dulled orangified bitterness of hops. Finish gathers a small swirl of dryish leafy hoppyness. Probably the best aspect of any noticteable character of this beer.

Body is light and clean just under a medium body, smooth with a decent tenderly sweet maltyness to its base as it finishes with a light hoppy complexity of dull citric bitterness and leafy dryness.

An OK brew that comes pretty close to the English style IPA with a bit of lacking character and complexity. It does have a nice simplicity about it that encourages itself to be a good session brew. (1,182 characters)

3.3/5  rDev -6.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

A: Very cloudy with about 1.5 finger width of ivory foam. Dark amber in color.
S: Lots of hops. More spicy than floral.
T: Very tasty dried fruit flavor, perhaps apricot or peach. Hop flavor is more bitter spice than floral. Some biscuit at the end. Bitter hops finish.
MF: Medium body with medium carbonation.
D: Very pleasant beer. Enjoyed the cask a great deal. Would like to compare the cask to a regular tap to check out the differences. (443 characters)

3.37/5  rDev -4.8%

12pz bottle with no date into pint glass

dark Caramel color, small tan head that lasts. smell is earthy - "English hops". taste is sweet candied malts, and earthy bitter hops. fungal tasting. feel is a little over carbonated, but ok otherwise.

overall it's definitely an English tasting ipa, medicinally bitter but not unenjoyable. (333 characters)

3.4/5  rDev -4%

12oz bottle into a Pint glass.

A - Darker, cloudy orange with a light yellow-tan head.

S - Sweet carmel and bready malt, Some orange as well.

T - A little orange and lemon, some subtle carmel malt.

D - Nice balance. Average carbonation and body.

O - Not as citrusy or hoppy, but I still enjoyed it. (303 characters)

3.41/5  rDev -3.7%

12oz bottle poured into tulip - thanks to therobot

Pours a slightly hazed cherry auburn color, very bright tones with a nice froth of white head resting on top. Retains well, leaving rings and patches of lacing on the glass.

Spicy and hoppy in the nose with pine and citrus. Softer notes of bready malts and caramel.

Bitter hops up front with citrus and pine. Grapefruit notes burn through with peel and pith. The malt backbone hides underneath with toasted notes and bread. Finishes bitter with lingering dryness.

Medium body, decent carbonation, sticky and lingering on the tongue. A pretty solid IPA, although it could easily get lost in the crowd. (658 characters)

3.43/5  rDev -3.1%
look: 4.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.5

Good clarity, deep golden to amber color. Thick mousse white head that is well-retained.
Aroma is biscuity malt forward. Some resiny hop.
Decidedly bitter, but flavor is more malt- than hop-centric. Hop flavor profile is fairly neutral, while malt is bready and biscuity.
Somewhat thin with a dry, bitter finish.
A fairly one-dimensional IPA. Drinkable, but I won't seek it out. (378 characters)

3.44/5  rDev -2.8%

A- Deep orange, head is small one finger, with a little bit of lacing clinging to the glass.
S- Smell is a nice hop punch. There is a bit of a pale malt, toffee presence with a decently strong pine and herbal hop aroma. More hoppy on the nose than most EIPA's.
T- And then the hops disappeared... It's lightly malty but there's not even a full enough malt presence. The hops more or less disappear for me. There is a light pineyness but that is about it.
M- Medium light body, medium-high carbonation. Dry finish.
O- For me this beer was a great nose, but it lacked substance pretty much everywhere else. (604 characters)

3.46/5  rDev -2.3%

On tap at King's Wine Bar in Minneapolis

Pours a ferrous, rusty orange, with 1+ finger of foamy head, which sticks to the glass as the beer volume goes down.

Smell Test: Paging Mr. Hops. Hey now! I was expecting some hop boquet here! Smell is pretty light, a little bready, malt, floral, but not much hop.

A stronger hop presence in terms of flavor, but still very balanced. Was expecting a bigger kick. Good slick consistency, nicely done on mouthfeel.

This is my first full Fulton beer.Recommended, definitely worth having, but not a great wow factor here. (562 characters)

Sweet Child Of Vine from Fulton Beer