War And Peace - Fulton Beer

Fulton Beer visit their website
Minnesota, United States

Russian Imperial Stout |  9.50% ABV

Beer added by: mothman on 03-21-2010

War & Peace is a Russian Imperial Stout aged with Peace Coffee's Guatemalan Organic Dark Roast. We measure out a pound of whole beans per barrel of beer and add it directly to our tanks, then allow it to infuse for nearly a week. It's a combination so natural, you may forget that stout and coffee once existed without each other.
firstprev| 1-25 | 26-50 | 51-75  | next → last
3.58/5  rDev -15.8%

Bought directly from the brewery. From a growler to my Southampton fishbowl.

Pours an opaque black. No denying it. Full two fingers of mocha head. It follows the exit signs and leaves the glass quickly. Was it something I said? I haven't seen an imperial with less lacing than this. We have a new leader.

Smell is coffee forward. Molasses and chocolate intertwine. Roast has a stake in the sniff too. Letting this mutha sit for a bit.... Picking up strong amounts of grain. Alcohol tinge. Doesn't burn my nose hairs, but it isn't appealing either. Swish the glass, coffee and roast come back to life.

First and foremost. I'm not getting the coffee I was wanting and hoping for here. Chocolate is the major player her. Dark chocolate, but not like a baker's chocolate. Zero bitterness. Roast is there but certainly not overpowering. For me this is pretty one dimensional.

Not very thick . Based on the appearance you would think so. Pretty creamy. Finishes smooth. Carbonation is perfect.

A good beer. Undecided as to whether I have let myself down, or this beer could vary batch batch. The base beer and the randallized version have opened new windows for me. This experience has been pretty ho hum. A good tick, but I would like to see the coffee take a more prominent role. (1,282 characters)

Served on cask at 3 Squares.

Appearance- dark and chocolatey. This clings to the side of the glass like honey...thick and inviting.

Smell - Roasty sweet chocolate goodness

Taste - sweet and hoppy like a great RIS, but the addition of whole bean Peace coffee makes the finish taste like the best cup of black coffee.

This could possibly be the perfect beer. I think Fulton will do amazing things and I hope they bottle this next year so more people can enjoy it. (466 characters)

4.85/5  rDev +14.1%

Appearance: Pitch black, small creamy tan head. Reminds me of a good nitro Guinness pour.

Aroma: coffee, chocolate, burnt toffee.

Taste: Wow. Amazing smooth blend of coffee and rich malty chocolaty stout. It's really amazing how the flavors blend together into such a smooth taste.

Mouthfeel: Rich, velvety smoothness. The carb mixed with the flavors make it feel like the perfect hot chocolate or coffee.

Overall: I think this is my favorite beer ever. The blend of Imperial Stout and Coffee is truly amazing. The flavors start very coffee rich and quickly settle into a beautiful malty chocolaty goodness. The smoothness of the blend is amazing! I love this beer. (669 characters)

4.6/5  rDev +8.2%

Appearance: Black as night

Smell: Rich burnt malts and strong coffee beans

Head: nice big head then small dark brown bubbles that lingers

Taste: hit of strong black coffee upfront, very malty, hints of chocolate in the back of palate at the end

Weight: nice and heavy, malty, rich, smooth, creamy and yummy like a Russian Imperial Stout should be

Finish: coffee was still there lingering for a bit but then hit the coco, very nice! (437 characters)

4.22/5  rDev -0.7%

Had this at 2010 Firkin Fest

This is their Worthy Adversary with peace coffee

Pours a small fizzy head. Color is a dark brow, near black.

Aroma: Rich coffee right in your face. Chocolate, roasted matls. Some earthy hops as well. A very nice RIS.

Taste: Coffee, dark coffee, roasted malts, chocolate, and sweet, bitter hops.

Mouthfeel: Very bittersweet, smooth, and refreshing for a stout. Low carbonation with a full body. Ends roasted with coffee, dry.

Overall, very solid RIS. I am really enjoying this and it is very drinkable. I was told they won't be brewing it again until next winter so I won't get to drink it until then. Worth a try for sure! (670 characters)

firstprev| 1-25 | 26-50 | 51-75  | next → last