Worthy Adversary - Fulton Beer

Fulton Beer visit their website
Minnesota, United States

Russian Imperial Stout |  9.50% ABV

Beer added by: feloniousmonk on 03-29-2010

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Worthy Adversary Alström Bros

Had on tap tonight at The Hanger Room.

Poured through a randall into my Fulton pint glass. Basically a randall is a vessel. In the vessel was fresh Peace whole coffee beans with fresh whole bean vanilla. The beer passes through each then pours into your glass.

I will start my review by saying that I have heard of this beer before I have ever tried it. Reviews were epic type shit(word of mouth) , Paul Bunyon and Babe The Blue Ox. Needless to say I was excited to get my snicker bar type piano fingers around it.

Holy Lord. Accusations were true. Deep dark jet black. Three fingers of mocha head. Two feet away I can smell the coffee. Pretty much ridiculous. Upon taste the brew is slightly hop forward. That boils down to un-noticeable. Rich coffee notes and vanilla unfold. It smells epic. In the mouth the rich coffee and vanilla are prevalent but they also give way to chocolate and roast. Not heavily but certainly noticeable.

It is rarely I am wowed in a beer. All I can say is holy fuck this is good.

4.8/5  rDev +16.2%

Appearance: Black, good head, good lacing.

Smell: Big chocolate smell, some coffee.

Taste: Big sweet chocolate and coffee from start to finish. I like big stouts on the sweet side, and this really hits the spot.

Mouthfeel: Substantial, pretty thick.

Drinkability: Very tasty, only on tap right now.

Tried this at the Hanger Room in Willernie, and was really wowed by the beer. Chocolatey, coffee, not too sweet and not too bitter. Really impressed by this one.

4.75/5  rDev +15%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

A: Bright dark brown under a finely bubbled 2” tan foam collar that leaves Guinness quality lace.
S: alcohol, faint coffee, chocolate
T: Deliscious grain, espresso, chocolate creaminess. Has a nice grain in the background – oily in a good way.
F: Very rich and creamy medium low carbonation but fine and soft – almost nitro quality, full body to chewy. Some alcohol warming.
O: It has an excellent balance of grainy malt, espresso, and chocolate

4.75/5  rDev +15%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

L: Poured into large snifter: reddish brown/black with minimal, dissipating brown head

S: Strong smell coffee/espresso and malt

T: Delivers what the nose lead me to believe - great, strong imperial stout style malt with espresso.

F: Slightly thicker than other Imp Stouts I've had recently. Slides over the tongue with light carbonation.

O: Best surprise in my quest for an Imperial Stout this season! Definitely recommend if you are looking for the coffee-esque imperial stout without the overpowering alcohol.

4.74/5  rDev +14.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

This beer surprised me, It was much better than I was anticipating. Complex and sticky lwith Carmel notes, rich and flavorful. I would definitely seek this out over some other highly rated RIS.

4.65/5  rDev +12.6%

Reviewed from notes taken at the Minneapolis Republic. Poured from the tap into a pint glass on 6/25/11.

Pours as dark as night with 2 fingers of mocha colored head that dissipates leaving little lacing but a thick oily resin on the glass. Just a wonderful presentation.

Smell is tons of roasted malt and chocolate as well as an awesome mix of coffee. As it warms this beer gets better and better, with tons of chocolate goodness. Great smell as well.

Taste is the same as the smell and just as great. Tons of sweet roasted malt and chocolate as well as some coffee flavors. Wow what can I say just awesome.

Mouthfeel is light to moderate... It looks smells and tastes like an Imperial stout and it even leaves a nice choco/coffee resin on the pallet but it has a very nice carbonation and is so lite as far as weight and density. It really makes you want to drink more and is refreshing even though you are getting slammed with taste. Top notch.

Overall this is one of the best Imperial Stout's that I have ever had. In fact it is now my favorite stout. Yes even more so then Darkness, Dark Lord, or Abyss and I absolutely love Abyss. I can't wait until Fulton starts bottling their beers. This is an absolutely must have if you are ever in the Minneapolis/Saint Paul area.

4.59/5  rDev +11.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.5

Thanks so much to Audiophile for sending me this local goodie. I have to start this review with: OH MY GOD! This beer is amazing. I've drank a lot of renowned stouts lately, and this one is in my top 3.

A: Dark, completely opaque, but not quite oil-black. Nice tan coffee head, and beautiful lacing.

S: Dark fruit. Raisins and plums. But not too sickly sweet, but very sweet. Quite different smelling then tasting.

T: Oh man, this one is special. It follows the nose - dark fruits. Raisins and plums. However, you get that sweet coffee bite at the end of the sip, and chocolate and toasted malts. The 9.5% ABV is nearly invisible in this stout. Once again, this beer is a treat. The after taste is almost purely roasted malt. I need Audiophile to send me more!

M: This is by far the best mouth feel of any stout that I've ever had. I have drank BCBS, BCBCS, Dark Lord '10, Lil' B, and Williamsburg Cafe Royale in the past month. This one is sweeter than saccharine (not literally). Medium feel, not too heavy, not too light, just perfect. It's still full, and leaves a little 'thickness' in your mouth a few minutes after a sip. Once again, near impeccable.

O: This one is a rare one. Find anyone you know in Minnesota and beg them to search all their bottle shops for this. I'm not quite sure why I've never heard of it before, I asked Audiophile to find me a rare, local stout, and he couldn't have done any better. This beer deserves to be a hit. Out of the 5 aforementioned stouts, this one easily takes second behind BCBCS. If anything deserves to be named worthy adversary, it is this.

4.59/5  rDev +11.1%

No known freshness dating.

A= Pours a very very thick looking black color with a thin skin of head slowly rising out of it. At first it looked flat but the head does slowly rise out with little retention and lacing on the glass.

S= The smell is a wonderful nutty sort of roastyness to it. Coffee and a nice chocolatey sweetness to it. It has a sort of milk chocolate type aroma to it I think. There is an indescribale softness to it.

T= The taste is again wonderful. All the flavors in the nose come through as well as the sort of softness that I can't really describe. The roast is the most dominate flavor in the taste and the milk chocolate I got from the nose is still there. A really amazing beer.

M= Well done. Not nearly as flat as I expected.

O= From a brewery that I was a little dissapointed with at first this beer is a home run. This is just plain tasty. It's not the big over the top type imperial stouts that make the BA Top 100 but it's a well done beer which is Fulton's niche I think. This baby is good. The best from them I've had so far I would say. I was lucky enough to try a mint chocolate chip version of this at one point and it was mind blowing so I had high expectations. This meets those expectations. This actually may be one of my new favorite beers.

4.55/5  rDev +10.2%

On tap at The Republic in Minneapolis, MN. Served in a 12 oz. standard shaker pint glass.

Appearance: Pretty much pitch black with only a slight bit of brown color shining through the edges of the glass. About a finger of tan head that recedes into a thin patchy layer. A fairly good amount of lacing around the glass.

Smell: A fairly sweet aroma of dark roasted malts with hints of caramel, chocolate, molasses, anise, and a little coffee. Also a light hint of dark fruit in the background. Hops are very faint. Smells pretty roasty and fairly strong.

Taste: A pretty big roasty and sweet taste of dark malts with some caramel and big notes of chocolate and molasses. Also some anise, coffee, and a little dark fruit. Light taste of earthy hops in the background provides some balance to the sweetness. Very good.

Mouthfeel: Body is on the heavier side but still goes down fairly easy. Carbonation is moderate. Creamy and moderately sticky and syrupy. No real alcohol heat felt.

Overall: A very good take on an imperial stout. Bold taste and fairly easy to drink for such a big beer.

4.5/5  rDev +9%

Poured from 750 mL bottle into snifter.
A: Pours an opaque black (no light comes through with backlighting) with 1/2 inch dark mocha head that quickly recedes. (4.5)
S: Dark roasted caramel malt, chocolate malt, fig and other dark dried fruit, and a whiff of grassy hops. (4)
T: Dark bitter chocolate, dark roasted caramel malt, spicy rye, toasted grains, and grassy hops. Excellent balance and solid complexity. Dark dried fruit emerges with warming. (4.5)
M: Medium-heavy feel and full-bodied. Starts bittersweet and fairly smooth, then shifts and finishes dry and bitter. Slightly sticky sweet feel. (4)
D: Not as in-your-face as a lot of RISs out there...which in my book is a good thing. The ABV is a bit restrained 9.5% which avoids the overpowering boozy blast that can occur. A very solid brew...definitely recommended. (4.5)

A: Poured on-tap into tulip. Pours an opaque black with a thin dark mocha head that quickly recedes.
S: Amazing mix of smooth dark chocolate, bourbon, charred wood, and toasted grains. Hint of dark caramel malt and grassy hops.
T: Dark bitter chocolate, rye whiskey, charred wood, spicy hops, and a hint of vanilla. Dark dried fruit emerges with warming.
M: Medium-heavy feel. Smooth with a bit of creamy and bitter aspects. Dry and moderately bitter finish. Sticky sweet feel.
D: Excellent drinkability especially for style. The ABV of 9.5% hits the sweet spot. Good complexity and excellent balance. Highly recommended...seek it out!

4.47/5  rDev +8.2%

I have had a case of this stuff for over a week because I have a hook up with Fulton, surprised I waited this long to try it. My bottles are 'low fill' but i got them for free! You could say i'm a bit biased, I love this brewery.

A: Poured from a 750ml bottle into a Snifter. It is pitch black with a small half inch head. It leaves very light bits of lacing.

S: Dark chocolate, roasted malts, coffee.

T: Lots of rich dark chocolates and roasted caramel malts. A hint of coffee and vanilla.

M: Rich yet medium mouthfeel. This stuff is super creamy. Almost like drinking dark chocolate milk, delicious.

O: I have had just about all of Fulton's offerings and this is by far my favorite. I'm excited to see how this tastes next winter. Not quite on the same level as Darkness but it hangs with some of the better stouts out there. Go for it!

4.45/5  rDev +7.7%

A - very dark brown hue, thin line of head.

S - mild coffee notes, chocolate and roast on the nose.

T - Coffee, chocoloate, very slight bourbon taste and strong roasty taste. Very smooth.

M - well carbonated with a very mild alcohol burn, again very smooth.

O - overall this is Fulton's best offering up to this point in my opinion. A very tasty imperial stout. Would highly recommend it.

4.44/5  rDev +7.5%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

Serving glass: Poured from bottle into Snifter.

Appearance: Pitch black with moderate tan head and light lacing rings.

Smell: Dark chocolate, molasses, dark fruits, and a touch of coffee. Expected RIS aroma, but quite decadent.

Taste: Strong roasted backbone that does not have the burnt taste that some fresh Imperial Stouts do. Bittersweet chocolate, figs, plum, molasses and light coffee are nicely playing together. Finish has some light roasted bitterness, as well as a touch of citrus. Perfect balance.

Feel: Extremely smooth, creamy and velvety. Full bodied, with the carbonation in check. Slightly warming.

Overall: Wow, I did not know the Fulton crew had it in them, although I have admittedly only had Sweet Child O Vine and The Lonely Blonde. This is one of the better traditional Russian Imperial Stouts I have had, and it deserves more hype. Of course, I really don't want it to reach Darkness levels of hype, as it is nice to just stroll into a store and pick it up.

4.38/5  rDev +6.1%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

Thanks for yet another new one Steasy66 and another from Maximum12. Two fantastic traders from MN!

Appearance. Pours thick and black with half a finger of light brown head.

Smell. Dark chocolate, caramel and vanilla, some dark malts, and a little bit of roasted nuts, cherry and raisins.

Taste. Dark bittersweet chocolate, some dates and a bit of coffee. Some dry roasty bitterness and a bit of smoke in the finish and quite dry throughout.

Mouthfeel. On the low side of full bodied, medium-low smooth carbonation.

Overall. A very nice RIS that isn't too sweet or sticky. I appreciate that and am enjoying this very much.

4.38/5  rDev +6.1%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

Poured from a 750 ml bottle into an unbranded short stemmed tulip/snifter

Pours opaque black with a one finger tan head that dissipates fairly quickly. Viscous is an understatement; this brew is like motor oil and is definitely among the thickest RIS's I've had. Big roasted malt, roasted grain, and the deep aroma of mixed dark fruit. Huge robust roasted malt, roasted barley, and other grains joined midpalate by molasses, plums,, sticky sweet prunes and dried black cherry. Finishes with more robust roasted grain notes, combined with a strong bittering hop presence. As mentioned huge devastating full body, chewy, smooth with oily slickness, even some hints of creaminess. This brew is impressive and stands among the better RIS's that I've had. It's surprising that some reviews have referenced a lack of complexity. I find it to be extremely complex and incredibly satisfying. A Worthy Adversary indeed; prepare yourself before pouring a glass of this exceptional beer.

4.36/5  rDev +5.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

12 oz. bottle poured into a Libbey porter/stout glass.
Look - Motor oil in color. Tan head that starts out fluffy and settles quickly. No lacing to mention.
Smell - Molasses and chocolate. Whiff of roasted grains.
Taste - Hint of roasted malts and coffee bitterness. Mostly sweet. Chocolate with molasses finish.
Feel - Looks thicker than it feels. Slick and creamy.
Overall - Totally enjoyed this one. Nice morning stout for sure. Wish I lived closer to Fulton. Solid local brewery making equally solid beers.

4.34/5  rDev +5.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

I had this beer for the first time yesterday at the Fulton Brewery. It was exceptional. It was served in a snifter, which was interesting and kind of charming. I noticed it looked a little thin, but the color was nice, very consistent, very dark, which I like. It smelled and tasted GREAT. It was not quite as thick as I was expecting, but very good. Very satisfying. The 9.5% ABV was noticeable, but it didn't hurt the flavor. I like a beer with some kick, so I loved that about it. All in all, one of my favorite beers, and something I will definitely enjoy many times again.

4.3/5  rDev +4.1%

On tap at Grumpys. $5 for a mug of this seemed like a legit deal to me. I had seconds fo sho.

Pours a tan head. Color is pretty much black.

Aroma: A lot of coffee and chocolate. A nice amount of roast. Creamy and malty. Caramel with a bit of dark fruits/molasses mixed in.

Taste: A lot like the nose, but much more flavorful. The coffee flavors are awesome. I was quite surprised by how much flavor was actually here. A lot of chocolate and caramel with a little roast. Dark fruits again, but the malts are the highlights here.

Mouthfeel: Smooth and creamy. Full bodied with a medium amount of carbonation. Ends a little dry.

Overall, this beer needs to be seen on tap at more bars and this beer needs to remain this price. Anytime I see this at the bar, I will be buying it. Very impressive offering. This is one of those local hidden gems (thank you darkness).

4.28/5  rDev +3.6%
look: 4 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

From a 750 ml bottle into a Stone IRS Tulip with a nice hard pour.

L- Oh so dark, no light comes through at all. Very nice 2 fingers of caramel colored head that fades in a few minutes leaving little trace behind.

S- Very definitely dark fruits and chocolate. Bananas come on after a bit with some roasty something or other. Maybe a little licorice.

T- Dark fruits again with cocoa and coffee beans. A bit of molasses, maybe some sweet cherries and a little more roasted coffee. Finishes with a dry bitter hoppieness that balances the sweets just right...really nice!

F- Luscious....just right not too sticky and not too dry.

O- Overall its quite satisfying. Sweet fruits balanced by dry hops with a little char to blend things together a bit. As it warms the alcohol comes forward a bit...pretty much a sipper.

4.26/5  rDev +3.1%

$5 on tap at Grumpys? Sounds good. Poured into a mug :(

Pours a super dark brown, with a small caramel head. Smell is roasty with some good coffee undertones. Not super aromatic.

Taste is outstanding. Good coffee and chocolate and malt (ate a small piece of Oreo birthday cake with this and it was damn near orgasmic)

Mouthfeel is surprisingly thin. I really expected more, and it did affect the taste a bit, a thicker richer mouthfeel would have really helped hold the flavors more.

Overall, really good RIS. When they bottle this I'll be buying some more. Not quite on the level of a darkness, but a good local RIS.

4.24/5  rDev +2.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

Bottle thanks to yamar68, poured into a snifter.

Pour: Super black body with a fantastic finger plus head. Some really nice sticky lacing and some definite legs as well.

Smell: Big roasted chocolate and a definite floral hop presence. Some bitterness even on the nose. A touch of molasses.

Taste: Really sticky chocolate and sweet toffee. Lots of floral hops again. Some bitter coffee. Sticky sweet on the finish.

Mouthfeel: Nice velvety mouthfeel, but a definite bitterness throughout. Very sticky throughout.

Overall. A really nice creamy imperial stout. Rather one dimensional, but it highlighted all the aspects of a stout that I enjoy. Would definitely have a again, and I think this could be something special thrown into a barrel.

4.24/5  rDev +2.7%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

A - Poured out a jet-black color with a one-finger, brown head of foam. Sudsy lace.

S - It smelled roasty and chocolatey. Some coffee notes.

T - Roasty, dark chocolate, burnt molasses and rich coffee flavor. It tastes really great.

M - Crisp and smooth. A medium to full bodied stout.

O - This is a fantastic brew. Beginning to wish I brought one home to Missouri.

4.24/5  rDev +2.7%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

No date that I could find.

A: Thick black pour. Tall, dense medium brown head. Head fades out slowly with quite good retention. Moderate thick splotchy lacing.

S: Big roasted malt character. Especially charry. Mild bitter, acrid coffee and cocoa. Touch of smoke and anise? Has an interesting chocolate milk aroma sometimes, almost with a lactose character (even though I believe this isn't a milk stout).

T: Strong, strong roasted malt character. Sweet milk chocolate up front with quite a bit of char. Turns into a bitter cocoa with a decent chunk of smoke. Touch of anise towards the finish. Finishes bitter with acrid coffee and baker's chocolate. Lingering smoky char and bitter coffee grinds.

M: Lower carbonation, heavy body. Thick and viscous.

O: A strong, sharp RIS for sure. Huge, borderline harsh roasted malt characteristics. Not overly boozy, just very bold flavors. Overall balanced, despite the strength. Really highlights roasted malts in general, no barrel aging or adjuncts. Still quite complex and delicious. I really enjoyed this one.

4.22/5  rDev +2.2%

Solid black with a creamy layer of cocoa colored foam. Rich malt nose with some light vanilla bean and smoke. Deep malt flavor, smoke, molasses and vanilla. Nice complexity. Smooth and full bodied. This is an exceptionally easy to drink imperial stout. Very well done overall.

4.21/5  rDev +1.9%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

Year old 750mL bottle brought out for a going away party of a co-worker/fellow beer enthusiast. Poured into taster glasses after hours at our local brewpub.

A: Jet black, opaque with hint of weak coffee color along edges. Frothy buckskin head that falls into thin layer. Not much visible for carbonation.

S: Nice blend of roast, coffee-like malts, bready base malt, figs, overripe plums, and I pick up the anise/licorice too. Not boozy, no hops.

T: Similar to the nose, roasty without being abusive to the palate, base malt is more caramel now. Get some of the dark fruitiness again but as an undertone. Anise is there. Pleasing warmth and smooth finish.

M: Full but not heavy. I tend to like the viscous RIS's but this one works as is. Round mouthfeel that is balanced throughout only enhances the flavors. Not boozy but alcohol is there to cut the finish off clean.

O: Very pleasing RIS. Wish I could have had one to try young before this year old example. I would definitely buy again and age again. It is a very balanced beer that shows off what this great young brewery is capable of. Now I need to get some War & Peace to compare.

Worthy Adversary from Fulton Beer